Lian Li PC- Q08 itx case : Specification & Feature

Has anyone else noticed that the PC-Q08 doesn't have those "slots" on the bottom of the PCI bracket holes that the ends of the PCI cards are supposed to slip into so they stay in place?

(Slots circled in red)
wspcislots.jpg

My problem with this is that my video card only takes up one slot. In my other slot is one of these 4-port USB bracket things:
ux_a08120500ux0015_ux_c.jpg

When I try plugging anything into those USB ports, the whole bracket pushes in since it's only secured at the top where that lip is that the bracket rests on and is attached to with one screw. Same thing happens with my video card when I try plugging my monitors into it.

Very nice Silver :cool:
Your config?The psu, is a Silverstone ST45SF ?
:)
:D yes

Has anyone else noticed that the PC-Q08 doesn't have those "slots" on the bottom of the PCI bracket holes that the ends of the PCI cards are supposed to slip into so they stay in place?

No has it not

Whats the temp in the case with 6 HD, 5.25 ODD and a pci card?

this would be a great whs case for 6 2TB drives with intel nic card.

Could someone measure the maximum video card length possible if the bottom HDD cage is installed? (I'm guessing 6.6" cards will fit since the motherboard itself is that size.)

Thanks a ton!

In case someone else is wondering, here are some more recent cards that are typically found in 6.6" or shorter variants (each line is a different "tier" based on http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-geforce-radeon,2646-7.html):
Note of course that not all cards of the same chip will be the same size. For example there are 6.6" HD5670 cards as well as bigger HD5670 cards.

HD5670 (a decent current HTPC choice for a short card; about equivalent to a 9800GT)
GT240
HD4670
HD5570
HD4650, GT220
9500GT
HD5550, HD5450, HD4570, HD4550, HD4350
8500GT, 9400GT
G210, 8400GS, 8300GS

8600GT is 6.9". I'm guessing it wouldn't fit.

Last edited:
Nice case, but does anyone here know of a similar case, but made out of steel? I hate how aluminum cases doesn't quite match up with the plastic bezels of my optical drives.

This case has an aluminum DVD "door", so style concern is already addressed ;)
Nice case, but does anyone here know of a similar case, but made out of steel? I hate how aluminum cases doesn't quite match up with the plastic bezels of my optical drives.

You don't have to worry about the plastic bezel of your optical drive showing because the PC-Q08 has a spring-loaded door that covers the optical drive.

Does anyone here know if the Radeon 5850 will fit this case? I'm very much interested in picking up a Gigabyte H55N-USB3 and this case to use with my Radeon 5850.

Ok, I've gotten rid of my Zotac H55-ITX board + mini-PCIe USB3.0 card in favor of a Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3.

Previously, I had my PC-Q08A's front USB3.0 ports hooked up to the mini-PCIe USB3.0 card. I also had one of those four port USB brackets that hook up to the USB headers on the motherboard.

With this Gigabyte board, I don't have internal USB3.0 ports to plug the PC-Q08A's front USB3.0 ports into. I know the PC-Q08A comes with some female USB3.0A to USB header adapters, but that would make the connection unnecessarily long.and I wouldn't have enough headers for the two front ports + the four port USB bracket.

So, I plan on using this USB header hub to get all the headers I need.:
http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/case_accessories/iu01_usb_expansion

IMG_1608_copy.jpg

If I use this USB header hub, will the PC-Q08A's front ports work if I plug them into the female USB2.0 A ports on this header hub?

finally I install hardware inside my Lian Li Q08:

the config is:

motherboard: commell lv-678
cpu: intel q9400s
ram: 2x2 ddr 1066 teamgroup xtreem dark
hard disk: 1 intel ssd 160gb + 1 2,5" 320gb western digital scorpio black
optical drive: optiarc bc-5600s slot in
cpu cooler: scythe big shuriken + noctua P12 @ 950rpm
psu: enermax modu 87+ 500w
vga: xfx gtx285 balck edition

http://www.pctunerup.com/up/image.php?src=_201007/20100711110159_a.jpg http://www.pctunerup.com/up/image.php?src=_201007/20100711110231_b.jpg http://www.pctunerup.com/up/image.php?src=_201007/20100711110250_c.jpg

http://www.pctunerup.com/up/image.php?src=_201007/20100711110307_d.jpg http://www.pctunerup.com/up/image.php?src=_201007/20100711110319_e.jpg http://www.pctunerup.com/up/image.php?src=_201007/20100711110341_f.jpg

(Slots circled in red)
wspcislots.jpg

My problem with this is that my video card only takes up one slot. In my other slot is one of these 4-port USB bracket things:
ux_a08120500ux0015_ux_c.jpg

When I try plugging anything into those USB ports, the whole bracket pushes in since it's only secured at the top where that lip is that the bracket rests on and is attached to with one screw. Same thing happens with my video card when I try plugging my monitors into it.

No one else experiencing this "issue"?

Can someone tell me if the Radeon 5850 will fit this case? I'm thinking of getting this case and the Gigabyte H55 motherboard to put my Core i5 750 and Radeon 5850 in there.

Anyone put a Noctia NH-C12P SE14 in this?

And, if you did, what is the best direction for the PSU fan?

Anyone know if the red LED in the reset switch is 3mm or 5mm? I'm going to replace it with a white LED, but would like to know the size before taking everything apart to get to the LED.

Anyone know if the red LED in the reset switch is 3mm or 5mm? I'm going to replace it with a white LED, but would like to know the size before taking everything apart to get to the LED.
Quite frankly, I'm not sure that assembly uses standard 3mm or 5mm LEDs ... but would like to know the answer to the question as well (my bet is that it's NOT 5mm)

Just a small update. Found a silver version of the top fan grill for the PC-Q08:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26297

Bought one and it fits perfectly in place of the stock black grill. Now my PC-Q08A is all silver.

Quite frankly, I'm not sure that assembly uses standard 3mm or 5mm LEDs ... but would like to know the answer to the question as well (my bet is that it's NOT 5mm)
Took apart the power / reset button assembly and the LED used on the reset button looks like a surface mount LED, pre-wired and sitting in what looks like a LED holder for a 3mm LED.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried attaching the radiator for a H50 to the front 140mm intake fan yet?

Has anyone tried attaching the radiator for a H50 to the front 140mm intake fan yet?

here it is
picture2nx.jpg

i attached the rad and 140mm fan with an adapter that funnels the air down to the 120mm rad.

i started out with just the 140mm fan at first, but then i realized there was almost no air making it through to the backside of the rad so i added another fan and went with a push pull setup. after that my CPU temps dropped 4-5C and my GPU temps dropped 2C from the extra air it was getting.

obviously you have to lose the HD racks and you lose a lot of video card room, but i went with an SSD and a 500gb laptop HDD for storage and mounted them with with velcro. there is definately room for a 3.5in drive instead. my video card is the 8.25 inch gtx 460 which i bet is more than enough power for 90% of the gamers out there

here it is
picture2nx.jpg

i attached the rad and 140mm fan with an adapter that funnels the air down to the 120mm rad.

i started out with just the 140mm fan at first, but then i realized there was almost no air making it through to the backside of the rad so i added another fan and went with a push pull setup. after that my CPU temps dropped 4-5C and my GPU temps dropped 2C from the extra air it was getting.

obviously you have to lose the HD racks and you lose a lot of video card room, but i went with an SSD and a 500gb laptop HDD for storage and mounted them with with velcro. there is definately room for a 3.5in drive instead. my video card is the 8.25 inch gtx 460 which i bet is more than enough power for 90% of the gamers out there

thats a very sexy little box.. I am hoping to do the same thing with a pc-q11, except since its a little taller I believe the fan is above the video card all together & will probably have to use the psu extender thigy.

here it is
http://a.imageshack.us/img192/9617/picture2nx.jpg

So is the 140mm fan blowing air into the radiator (warm air being blown back into the case) or do you have it sucking air out?

ricecompelsyou

exactly what im thinking of doing but with the new h70 :D But i dont think itll fit with a long gfx card by the looks of it?

Yeah, with the H70's much denser fins in its radiator, it's going to need two fans (push/pull). The H50 in his pic. already looks cramped in there. The H70 definitely won't fit especially since its radiator is twice as thick as the H50's.

wonder if an h70 with one fan would fit (with a 140 to 120 converter) hmmmm, still leaning towards cutting an extension hole in the roof and whacking a 240 in :p

It should fit, but you're going to be limited to pretty short video cards.

the 140mm fan is pulling fresh air into the case, so yeah the air coming in the case is a little warm. im also using the top fan as an intake fan as well so the mobo can get atleast some fresh air. i turned my psu fan towards the board to help act as an exhaust fan. i know its not ideal, but hey a small case is about compromises.

an h70 definitely would not fit if you ever plan on using a gtx 480, and honestly i dont think a 480 would fit with a h50 unless you use a single fan, and lose the adapter (14mm thick). youd have to fit the rad on the 140mm fan somehow so that they are almost flush, and even then a gtx 480 would just barely fit with millimeters to spare

Back