Lian Li PC-Q04 - new ITX case with no optical at all

raymondo

Limp Gawd
Just found this one on Lian Li's homepage but couldn't find any news articles about it.
Dimensions are only marginally bigger than the PC-Q07.

Link

Anybody heard of it yet? It looks like a better out-of-the-box version of the PC-Q07 to me. Perforated bottom and mounting holes for a bottom intake fan (120-140mm) and no 5.25" drive cage.
However, there's a drive cage for SDD/HDD in the top where one could stuff a lot of SDDs inside as you don't really need to fasten them with screws but double-sided tape suffices from my experience.

All beside, it still has the same flaws the PC-Q07 had years ago when it was released. Mainboard is still fastened to the right side panel with no easy access to CPU heatsink fastenings which is a real PITA.
CPU cooler is also still limited in height (70mm) and will be fighting against PSU if you don't set cooler fan to push i/o pull as you'd normally do. Near to no cable management and GPU length limited to 190mm. They could have also provided an SFX adapter as should be the norm for tiny cases like this.

Ah that's the kind of thing I expected from LianLi, took them quite long. Having the HDDs at the top is the only sensible location in my eyes, putting them directly below the GPU was nothing but stupid.

The PSU/CPU fighting won't really be an issue as you can mount the PSU with the intake fan towards the perforated panel. The CPU could potentially recycle its own hot air, though.

I think there could be a separately sold SFX mounting plate, not sure though.

Is it really that much of a problem if there's no CPU cutout? I've often heard people talk about it but how often do you really use that kind of feature, and for what? I do understand it might be useful for bottom mounted M.2 SSDs, but you wouldn't swap out CPU coolers while the mainboard is still in the case, would you?

It took them reeeaaally long as this update was long overdue.

I had both the PC-Q07 and PC-Q11 for quite some time with more time spent on the Q11 so I didn't really notice and remember the perforated side panel. You're absolutely right in this regard considering mounting the PSU towards it.

All three cases (Q04, Q07, Q11) have the mainboard directly mounted on the side panel which I very much disliked in both Q07 and Q11. It was always a hassle to do anything as is of course the nature with small and cramped ITX cases like these but this mounting method quadruples the inconvenience - at least in my opinion. Want to swap RAM? Have fun. Want to swap the heatsink? Go ahead, unscrew everything, deattach all cables etc. The PC-Q27 introduced a much cleverer way for this with some kind of rails as per below picture which would probably only mean a maximum required additional height ca. 5mm for the mounting.

Agree with the assessment that it's basically an improved Q07. 10mm more VGA length, double slot IO panel for more powerful mini GPU's, and some much needed ventilation at the bottom of the case. And removing the ODD.

As a Q11 owner (sort of the older bigger cousin of the Q07, and now a distant relative of the Q04) I agree this type of design is not fun to ever open and actually do anything inside of.

Somebody hosted a video on Youtube. It's Chinese or something, I don't have a clue. But it shows the case's inside. What I don't like are that the front I/O's cables and connectors are kind of long and cost some precious space.

Case is supposed to be out there start of November with prices at ca. EUR 60.-, at least for Germany that is as per German website Computerbase.

Back