Lian Li Aluminum Cases - RATTLE!!!

bencho

2[H]4U
To those with LL Aluminum cases, how many of yours rattle and buzz? I'm very sensitive to the minor vibrations and resonating sound that my case produces. I have the TYR PC-X500 and love it but the rattling is pretty bad. I've tried to put slim rubber grommets between the side panel and case frame but it still buzzes. Anyone have a solution to stop the buzzing?

I have a PC-X1000 and my case has had an occasional rattle from the side panels. What I did was buy some circular felt adhesive pads and place them on the mating surfaces between the panel and chassis where I thought the vibrations were coming from. No more rattles, but the case still had an annoying low frequency hum/resonating sound.
After some experimentation I have traced the vibration to my hard drive(s). I have noticed that if I take the hard drive out of the cage the vibration disappears. The 3.5' drive mounting system in the x1000 is almost identical to the x500; im wondering if you are experiencing the same thing as I am. Right now i'm trying to find an alternate mounting method for my drives.

Last edited:
No rattle on either of my cases. What's the precise source of the buzzing? Can you stop it by placing a finger on a panel or a bit of the casing?

One thing I remember doing with my LianLi is it had some small metal tabs that vaguely held it in place along with the screws, I bent the tabs slightly so that it required a bit more force to stick them on. This made them a lot more secure along with the screws.

I might have to do that with my current case which starts a weird buzzing after a while, but if I push on the side panel or take it off completely the sound goes away. This is a HAF912 though, not LianLi

My V1200 seems to create more of a buzzing sound than a rattle. I've never been able to figure out what exactly causes it to do this, but I found putting something with some weight (Im using an iPod dock) ontop of the case will keep it from rattling.

It starts as a buzzing and may sometimes turn into a rattle. The buzz/rattle goes away if i apply pressure to the two side panels. It is actually more of a hum/resonating sound and it irks me like static from a speaker, or tube tv left on with no signal. I didn't think of felt pads. I went to Lowes and bought a 1/16" rubber piping grommet square but it's a bit on the thick side. Weird thing is, the humming went away for a while and then came back.

Maybe it is the hard drives? I have 3 of them in there. How else would you isolate them? Aren't they already on rubber grommets?

Try some sound deadening material, like dynamat, on the panels to see if the added mass fixes it?

I've had the same issue in my ABS 595, which is a modified Lian-li x500. It comes from the side panels, which always struck me as odd considering how thick they are.

The real source is most likely the hard drive. Look into hard drive suspension, and that should get rid of the rattling and cut down on the overall noise your computer makes. I normally have my drives suspended, but I've been kinda lazy with it in this case. Plus, there's barely enough room horizontally in the lower compartment to do it, so it's kinda tricky for me.

I own a lian li case and while it looks super sleek, it definitely changed me to be in favor of steel cases. My lian li case rattles, and over time it got worse. Steel screws to hold aluminum panels in place do not age well with rattling. Some of the threads are now stripped with the screws sitting in loosely for 'aesthetics'.

I'm not saying lian li is bad, or aluminum cases are bad. This is just my experience.

I've had rattling issues in different areas with a couple cases. All pointed back to the hd racks as the source. Electrical tape solved my side panel rattle with one A05B.

It is usually spinning hard drives that creates buzz in thin aluminium cases. If you've sourced the buzz to the side panels, the best thing to do is just to cut foam panels (e.g. noiseblocker panels) and stick them tightly to the inside of the sides.

Rattle is more unusual as it'll be an actual loose screw or part. If you've found a loose screw then you can stick a bit of blu-tack on the thread to secure it.

The only time I've had buzz was on an old Dell XPS case, and foam panels stopped the side panel from vibrating.

The trick to prevent buzzing on Lian-Li cases is to tension the side panels. I've got a pair of PC-70s, one old style and one new style. The old style one has the middle retention thumbscrew ever so slightly offset from the top and bottom ones so that the panel bows outward, increasing the tension on the panel and eliminating buzz.

The newer one either doesn't have it or it isn't as pronounced so I take advantage of the slight play in the holes and tension it myself. I push the top and bottom of the panel fully in, and pull the middle of the panel fully out. The difference is probably less than a mm, but it cuts the noise from the panels completely.

get noise dampening material.. or if ur cheap, those lil felt patches that u put on the bottom of chair legs to stop the chair from scratching hardwood floors - I use them myself, very effective :thumbup:

My oldish V1000 used to do it so terribly. It seemed to come from the "roof" panel of the case.

I modded it with 2x120mm fans on top, and sound deadening on all panels at the same time. It nearly fixed the problem but the side panel started rattling.
My fix to that was to cut strips of sound deadening out of an extra piece I had and stick it around where the panel mates to the case.

Absolutely no rattles now (even with my HDD's mounted in the stock LiLi hdd bay).

I put some Etape on the hdd cage and it seems to have helped quite a bit. Still a very lower hum but much better than before. However, I did have issues reinstalling the cage. The fit was very tight and it took a lot of pressure to force it back in

I have a X2000F case and it is very silent. Absolutely no rattling or vibrations. :) Very happy of it!

im still using my old lian li pc71.
after a year of use, it started buzzing and rattling.. i remedied it by using long strips of electrical tape on the side panels top and bottom edges. it added stiffening and tightness when slid and locked into place.

i cant believe the newer lian li cases still have this issue. i thought they went to thicker aluminum?

I've had my PC-A7010 for about 2 and a half years and I haven't had it rattle. Not even once. On top of that, I don't have the side panels secured with screws.

Did they mess up somewhere along the line recently? I dont think I've ever seen so many rattling complaints of Lian Li before :S

Sorry for not getting back to you Bencho. While the vibration was coming from the HD cage, I never had the option of a removable cage with my A05B's (didn't want to remove the rivets) so I had little spots of electrical tape around where the side panels made contact. Helped a lot, but I never corrected the source of the issue really.

I've experienced extremely loud rattling with my PC-Q08. I expected some rattling due to the thin aluminum nature of the case, but I was still saddened by just how much there was. I've now placed rubber grommets between the fan and the case and added heavy padding to the sides. Hard drive vibration is a serious issue however. While I enjoy Lian Li's designs from an aesthetic point of view, I don't have much confidence with how they deal with hard drive vibration.

Is hard drive vibration a normal issue to deal with in Lian Li case? Are there any of their cases that incorporate substantial rubber grommets for fastening hard drives? (All I have seen are hard plastic wheels that don't do much at all.)

Anyone have an issue with the Lian-Li TU150 having a vibration or rattling issue?

I had two Lian Li V600 mini towers that were all aluminum w/ the slide in side panels. One was this silver gaming PC, the other was a black family PC. I was able to use electrical tape in areas that were non viewable to minimize rattle. With the tape it wasn't too irritating, but I do like my cases as quiet as possible.

Lian Li made some great cases. Seems like there are fewer options from them as far as high end cases these days.

Lian_Li_V600.jpg

I had two Lian Li V600 mini towers that were all aluminum w/ the slide in side panels. One was this silver gaming PC, the other was a black family PC. I was able to use electrical tape in areas that were non viewable to minimize rattle. With the tape it wasn't too irritating, but I do like my cases as quiet as possible.

Lian Li made some great cases. Seems like there are fewer options from them as far as high end cases these days.
I wish the quality of the old lian li's was available in a mainstream/affordable case. I remember my old lian li with the smooth front that was a big door. Kind of looked like a mini fridge.

Back