Lian Li 65 and watercooling question

jhzero1984

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

Got a question. I recently bought a Lian Li PC65 and have been considering putting in a water cooling system for the CPU and GPU (maybe chipset if wc system that fits conditions would allow it). However, I have two conditions on which I want to place on a water cooling solution. First I want the complete water system to fit within the case as much as possible, and second, I want it to be somewhat quiet. Also, I plan on possibly upgrading the Video card and down the road want to completely change out the cpu/mb when intel releases the dual core. I would like to keep the same watercooling system for these changes since it is an investment. Is there any kit or individual components out there that fits these conditions?

Zero

p.s. budget is not a high concern, since I see it as an investment.

having worked DAMN hard to fit my full thermoelectric rig into a lian-li PC-6077, i know that it is possible to fit a full watercooling system into a case of that size. you do not need components as large as mine, so that will help.

however, it really would be much easier to do a WC mod on a cheap, old, server case.

at the very least, you might want to pick up a plain steel beige case to practice measuring, fitting, cutting and mounting techniques on.

I'm not sure if you will be able to use the GPU water block that you buy for the Radeon 9700. I'm pretty sure that the X800 and Highend Geforce cards have completely different design and need a different water block.

James

I figured I can always buy new waterblocks, so I am not worried about that. I just want the other parts (radiator, pump, etc) to be top quality to be able to last some time while still fitting within the machine and cool the cpu and gpu (chipset cooling would be a plus, but i figure it might be too much for the limited space). I only have room for the one case, and I hope I dont have to make any major changes to the case, because I really like the case the way it is :) . My main concern is with the radiator, since I believe a resevoir and pump can easily fit within the case. I want to know what radiator would be able to match my conditions. Is there anyone out there with a pc-65 that has accomplished what I am looking for? (specs would be nice!)

Zero

I am starting to think a kit might be the best way to start, since this will be my first watercooling experience. Is there a kit that would fit my conditions, or is it better/ more logical to buy the components seperately?

Zero

It is hard to fit the radiator in the case without some sort of modification. If you put the case on risers you could mount the radiator on the bottom, not sure about the clearance between the bottom and any pci of vid card you have though. You best bet would probably be to mount the radiator on the top of the case which would of course require cutting of the case. With a little thought you can fit up to a dual heatercore in a pc65. It will take up the first two 5 1/2" bays though but you can still use those for a rheostat or lcd display or something.

I would recommend getting either a dual heatercore or a BIPro II. The reason why I say the pro and not the xtreme is because the pro is much thinner which allows you to use somewhat weaker fans on it and get the same airflow through, it would also take up less space in the case.

as for vid card waterblocks that will work with your current card and still port over to newer cards: the new revision dangerden maze 4 GPU block should fit the bill.

i have my rad where erasmus just suggested. it works well, and helps to cool my ram as well. i have a lian-li dual channel temp display up top,and a vantec nexus below that. with those two bays spoken for, i have my optical drive, some HDDs and then my pump down below, still in the front.

Hey if you take out the hard drive rack, a BIM2 will fit perfectly against the two 80mm fans in the front. Its like it was made for it.

James Earl Ray said:
Hey if you take out the hard drive rack, a BIM2 will fit perfectly against the two 80mm fans in the front. Its like it was made for it.

Interesting although the BIM2 is a really small radiator, about the cooling of a single 120mm rad, although you could use that plus an additional radiator up on the top where that 92mm blowhole is, I think a 120mm radiator fits inbetween the psu and a disk drive although it would be a tight fit.

Erasmus354 said:
Interesting although the BIM2 is a really small radiator, about the cooling of a single 120mm rad, although you could use that plus an additional radiator up on the top where that 92mm blowhole is, I think a 120mm radiator fits inbetween the psu and a disk drive although it would be a tight fit.

Hey, I thought the same thing. But it cooled my modded X800xt-pe all the way to 700+ core without a hiccup. Never got above 40c. Oh, I used the fans that came with the case.

I REALLY dont like the idea of cutting the case, since the reason I bought this case was the look plus my experience cutting metal has never been good. I hope to never get rid of this case because it took me forever to find one I really liked (I wanted a Coolermaster ATC 110, but was unable to find one for sale, and I hated the look of EVERY other case I looked at), so I am definitely against cutting holes in the case. I do like the idea of using the two 80mm fans in the front and the HD bay, since I only have one HD and can move it into the open 3.5" slots (only one in use). The problem would be since I would like to install a raid array on the next upgrade, I would not be able to install two HDs with the watercooling there, or is there another place to put the HDs, like the 5.25" slots, since I plan on only having a DVD-RW in the bays? Anyone have any ideas?

Zero

P.S. Can you use the exact name of the parts, since I am new to this and dont know what exactly you guys are refering to, so I can search for the items on websites?

I felt the same way about cutting that awesome case. I run four drives in raid, I have 2 in the floppy area and two up by the cd-rom. As for the parts, YGPM

jhzero1984 said:
P.S. Can you use the exact name of the parts, since I am new to this and dont know what exactly you guys are refering to, so I can search for the items on websites?

BIM2

Pump

OK, did a LOT of research today. The Black Ice Micro is nice, but I just dont think it is good for overclocking and actually decided that it might be worth trying to modify the case (after seeing some pics of it done, it doesnt look bad at all) to fit a black Ice Pro 2 or xtreme 2 (not sure which, would prefer the xtreme but not sure how it will fit). Now I need to figure out just how to measure/cut the case. Anyone have experience doing this (ie. tools used, time spent, difficulty)??

Zero

p.s. This should be able to cool the cpu, chipset and gpu??

Hey, I used a Dtek Procore with two 120mm fans and saw absolutly no difference. I know a little about overclocking. Trust me, I cant believe it worked as good as it did. You will need to check the distance from your psu to the top blowhole. My OCZ 520 doesnt give me enough room to make a clean install. Good luck. SIK

cutting tools: dremel with cutting discs, a metal file and drill with decent set of drill bits.

if it was a thin steel case, tinsnips would definately work, but i don't think they can cut this 2mm aluminum terribly well.

wrap the chuck of the dremel in a bit of cloth, to keep from accidently marking up the case with it while you cut.

time spent: days measuring, re-measuring and working up the nerve to start cutting. one i started to cut and drill, though, it only took me about an hour of cutting.

plenty of ways to measure things up, but what i did was to ink up my rad, and then make a print of it on some heavy paper, to use as a template. i then measured the rad and the template, and added pencil maks to help sharpen up some of the edges and corners.

:rolleyes:
or you could do it right and use a holesaw!
A 120mm holesaw drill bit is the right tool for the job; it will be both quicker and cleaner than any dremmel job.

My .02

Vertigo Acid said:
:rolleyes:
or you could do it right and use a holesaw!
A 120mm holesaw drill bit is the right tool for the job; it will be both quicker and cleaner than any dremmel job.

My .02

Depending where you put your fans a whole saw may not be the way to go. If you have your radiator next to the case(most common and best performing unless using push-pull) then you dont want two holes, you want one big rectangle a bit smaller than the radiator, that way you are making use of your whole radiator....

From what i have seen, most have just drilled one giant hole in the top and then covered the hole with a metal grating that allows plenty of air but makes it a lot cleaner looking (still havent found a place to buy this. anyone have any ideas? there are some photos in the wc image post) .

I really want to cool the gpu, cpu and chipset in one system, plus I am planning on purchasing an SLI system by this time next year, so the WC system would then have to cool 2 GPUs, CPU and, if possible, the chipset. Thats why I believe the BIPro 2 or Xtreme 2 would fit the bill.

Some questions:
1. what is the best pump for this setup?
2. how are the fans mounted to the rad and case and in which direction? (i.e. are the fans on the bottom of the rad blowing up to the hole or are the fans mounted in between the top of the case and rad blowing down)
3. Are there any better rads then the two options above that would work for the mounting on the top of the case without much mod to the rad itself?

i decided to go with more of an hourglass shaqpe, myself, and to let that black rad show through against the silver of my case.

it would be an even more pleasing effect with a red rad and a black case.

and for my own rad, just punching two circles would have cut down on airflow somewhat, so i really don't think that a "holesaw" was the right tool for my job, and it might not be the best for his either.

i use a 700 GPH supreme magdrive pump, myself, but with the added thermal load of my peltiers, i have a much heavier thermal load than you will. 500 or 600 would probably be good, since you plan on going SLI later. however, it would probably be better to go with a good aftermarket air cooler for you chipset. swiftec MCX-159 or thermalright NB-1C.

as for what rad you should use: definately a 2x120, and i would actually have preferred one of these, for myself, as opposed to a black ice xtreame II.

http://www.dangerdenstore.com/home.php?cat=15

there are a few things about my black ice that do not impress me (including being unable to change the hose barbs), and i have heard nothing but good things from people using these.

Daishi...would you please stop relying solely on GPH for your pump recommendations lol, I feel like I always have to come in after your posts and remind people that gph doesn't mean jack when watercooling.

What you need to look at when deciding on a pump is the PQ curve of the pump, and find out how it will perform at your given pressure. That being said you are usually better off with a pump that has higher pressure and lower flow than the other way around.

i think that this is the first time that i have not explicitly said that the person asking should look at GPH at a specific level of head, so i DID make that oversight on this occasion.

as for you have to correct me "every other time" well................i really don't think that saying that a person shold look for X GPH folw at Y head on the flow vs head chart for that particular pump is being at all inaccurate.

i have never said that high flow rate is the only thing to look at.

How good is the Exos-2 compared to a BIY internal watercooling system. I am wondering, since this is my first watercooling system, it might be best to try using the EXOS-2 first to get the jist of watercooling for the next year or so, then build a brand new system with a new case that can fit a cooling system a little bit better.

Zero

p.s. how many times am I going to change my mind on this?

jhzero1984 said:
How good is the Exos-2 compared to a BIY internal watercooling system. I am wondering, since this is my first watercooling system, it might be best to try using the EXOS-2 first to get the jist of watercooling for the next year or so, then build a brand new system with a new case that can fit a cooling system a little bit better.

Zero

p.s. how many times am I going to change my mind on this?

The EXOS-2 is brand new, so there haven't really been any real tests of it yet, lets wait and see what James Earl Ray says about it.

I will be using it just for my X850xt-pe. It kinda fell into my lap. I am also gonna hook it up to 2 6800 Ultras tonight. Ill post the results. Since my FX-55 is on the Vapo, all I watercool is my cards. This thing looks great on my 65b.

jhzero1984,

Have you looked into Swiftec's H20 120 rev.3 or Corsair's Cool setup? They should suit your needs nicely. I have the same case that you do and have a Corsair Cool for socket 775 on order, but it is taking forever to get here. What's nice about these systems is you can mount the radiator either inside or outside the case via their "Radbox" apparatus. I will probably mount mine outside due to space constraints.

Ive looked at the "radbox" and thought it was a good idea. However, I just dont like the look of it, especially since I can see the back of the case very easily. I did some searching last night for a grill and found one by aqua computer. But I also noticed they make a kit with :
Airplex Evo 240 radiator and mounring grill with 2 Papst fans
- AquaStream 12v water pump
- AquaInlet water reservoir
and some other stuff for $300

I plan on just purchasing a CPU waterblock from Danger den at first, then buy a VGA block when I get my next vid card.

I did some measurements and this thing would fit beautifully within my case (with the rad attached to the top and the hole cut). I think this might be what I want to get. Anyone have experience with aqua computer, and maybe this exact kit or parts???

Zero

DFI- I looked at the alternate radiator you mentioned instead of the BIX2, but it is just too big for my case (the BIX2 is about 10.5 in long, while that one is almost 12 in)

The website I found the aqua computer stuff was snt-systems.com, isnt the owner of the store from our forums ?!? If so, I wonder if they can mod my case for me?

Zero

oh well, regarding the thermochill. i do not have a PC-65 to measure things out on, and it would just barely fit my PC-6077 so i though it might work for you.............

Erasmus354 said:
The EXOS-2 is brand new, so there haven't really been any real tests of it yet, lets wait and see what James Earl Ray says about it.

These are tests with FM approved drivers only. The Exos2 surprised me with the ease of installation.

3DMark 05 - 11201

3DMark 03 - 24840

AM3 - 108125

jhzero1984 said:
Ive looked at the "radbox" and thought it was a good idea. However, I just dont like the look of it, especially since I can see the back of the case very easily. I did some searching last night for a grill and found one by aqua computer. But I also noticed they make a kit with :
Airplex Evo 240 radiator and mounring grill with 2 Papst fans
- AquaStream 12v water pump
- AquaInlet water reservoir
and some other stuff for $300

I plan on just purchasing a CPU waterblock from Danger den at first, then buy a VGA block when I get my next vid card.

I did some measurements and this thing would fit beautifully within my case (with the rad attached to the top and the hole cut). I think this might be what I want to get. Anyone have experience with aqua computer, and maybe this exact kit or parts???
jhzero1984 said:
I am using the Airplex Evo 240 Grill with the Watercool HTF 2.0 240mm Dual Radiator (stocked by SNT) which is 2.375-in thick along with the Swiftech MCP 600 Pump (12VDC).

As for the CPU water block, suggest you read the following ProCooling review on the Alphacool NexXxos XP. It's a great performer and a piece of engineering art. Link as follows:
http://www.procooling.com/reviews/html/alphacool_nexxxos_xp_waterbloc.php

Using a hand nibbler, I cut a rectangular hole in the top cover, just large enough to accomodate the (2) fans when mounted to the radiator. The grill is centered on the top cover width and located 0.3-in in from the top cover's front edge. This front-to-back location is critical to ensure that the radiator housing clears the power supply. I did lose the use of the upper (3) bays for positioning CD or HDD devices, however, I am using these (3) bays for LCDs which works out well in my configuration. Also, (2) of the (3) 3 1/2-in bay slots were dead space in my system so I elected to use this area for a reservoir. The pump is positioned on the cabinet base and the discharge port is in vertical alignment with the CPU water block ports. Filling, beeding and draining the system is relatively easy. Total tubing length used was ~ 4.5 to 5-ft.

Excluding the grill, suggest you reconsider your other selections.

My old system configuration:
Lian Li PC65B Case
(2) Rear Fan, Panaflo 80MM, 40CFM – pull configuration, SpeedFan-controlled
(2) Front Fan, Panaflo 80MM, 40CFM – pull configuration, SpeedFan-controlled
Abit NF7-S V2 Motherboard - heatsinked MOSFETs
PC Power & Cooling 410W Power Supply
AMD XP 3000+ Processor – @ 2.5G, FSB @ 200Mhz
Airplex Evo 240 Grill
Watercool HTF 2.0 240mm Dual Radiator – internally top mounted
(2) Sanyo Denki 120MM Fan, 102CFM – pull configuration @ 12V
Alphacool NexXxoS XP Water Block
Swiftech MCP 600 Pump
3 1/2-in. Dual Floppy Bay Reservoir
(~5 ft.) Masterkleer General Purpose Clear PVC Tubing 7/16-in. ID, 5/8-in. OD
Crystalfontz Model 634 4-Line LCD
Water Temperature LCD
Motherboard Monitor 5.3.7.0
SpeedFan 4.16
SiSoftware Sandra Standard 2004.SP2 (Win32 x86)
CPU Burn-in v1.01

Load data after 10 minute run of CPU Burn-in with error detection disabled.

IDLE\LOAD
Room Temperature (C) = 23\23
Radiator Air Intake Temperature (C) = 23\23
Block Water Input Temperature (C) =27\27
CPU Core Temperature (C) = 35\40
CPU Core Voltage (V) = 2.02\1.98
CPU Core Power (W) = 122\118
CPU Cooling System Thermal Resistance (C/W) = (tCPU - tWater)/W = 0.066\0.110

Good luck with your project.

Back