Li-ion Battery Inventor Introduces New Tech for Fast-Charging, Noncombustible Batteries

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This guy is responsible for one of the most commonly used types of battery ever, so I will go ahead and give him the benefit of the doubt that this won’t be another could-be battery revolution that merely fizzles out. John Goodenough, at 94 years old, has developed new all-solid-state battery cells that last longer and do not pose explosive risks. The increased energy density would also do wonders for electric vehicles and how long they could go between charges.

The use of an alkali-metal anode (lithium, sodium or potassium) — which isn’t possible with conventional batteries — increases the energy density of a cathode and delivers a long cycle life. In experiments, the researchers’ cells have demonstrated more than 1,200 cycles with low cell resistance. Additionally, because the solid-glass electrolytes can operate, or have high conductivity, at -20 degrees Celsius, this type of battery in a car could perform well in subzero degree weather. This is the first all-solid-state battery cell that can operate under 60 degree Celsius.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blah, its still in the "lab toy" stage of things. Tons of things out there that sound good never get past that stage. Remember those Japanese cotton batteries that were supposed to change the world several years back?

Good news is that the materials it uses are fairly common (glass and sodium) but glass is generally expensive and heavy despite the claims of it being cost effective. They still have to actually see if they can mass produce it at a cost effective price.

Here is the paper: http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2017/EE/C6EE02888H#!divAbstract

If it works out maybe it'll be good enough for cars since the energy density and charge rates are supposed to be good. For power grid stuff I dunno if it makes sense at all.

I am so tired of hearing about these new batteries that never get produced. We are still usi ng the same batteries.

another year another battery promise of the future... another year still going on the same type of batteries

Longer, stronger batteries = sell less batteries

much like that school kid with the improved solar panel invention 5-6 years ago.
The great ideals just disappear.

(well the kid did not disappear but all the info about it did)

Even if it would take quite long to match the massive economies of scale for Li-ion phone/laptop batteries, it seems that it should be easy to get airplane manufacturers to invest in replacing their lithium batteries with this as soon as possible.

These guys get very rich... Companies buy the patent then put it in a deep dark secret place. Then, continue to make a killing selling the older stuff.

Longer, stronger batteries = sell less batteries

much like that school kid with the improved solar panel invention 5-6 years ago.
The great ideals just disappear.

(well the kid did not disappear but all the info about it did)

Are you suggesting that whenever the media does fantastical reporting on a laboratory experiment and completely misconstrues a scientist's findings. And it doesn't end up being a marketable product. It's a giant conspiracy by BIG BATTERY(or insert any industry) so they can sell you more duracells?

Not every magical problem solver that comes along is always what it was represented as. Or someone would already be making billions off of it. There is a lot of snake oil out there in the green energy sector.

Triple the energy storage, faster charging, useful cold-climate performance--I would be willing to pooh-pooh it as more empty promises if not for it being the guy who developed the battery technology that currently powers most of our devices.

Imagine a Tesla with a 900-mile range. I used to do 800-mile highway trips to visit my parents for the holidays and it was a 12-13 hour day of driving. In other words, the new trip endurance would meet or exceed the endurance of most drivers. What more would we need to make electric vehicles practical for all consumer use cases?

The reports just state it uses a "Glass Electrolyte", which is pretty non specific. I'm interested in how they maintain good ion mobility, and how it impacts achievable cell voltage.

These guys get very rich... Companies buy the patent then put it in a deep dark secret place. Then, continue to make a killing selling the older stuff.
Right...just like the 100mpg carburetor. Actually, you don't make a killing selling the older stuff. The reason is that everything useful eventually becomes a commodity, meaning that there are a lot of competitors making it. When that happens, profit margins collapse. The way to REALLY make money is to come out with something new, that everybody wants, that only you have the patent for. And something like a better battery will open up all kinds of new markets as well, which you as the inventor would potentially have a leg up on.

Right...just like the 100mpg carburetor. Actually, you don't make a killing selling the older stuff. The reason is that everything useful eventually becomes a commodity, meaning that there are a lot of competitors making it. When that happens, profit margins collapse. The way to REALLY make money is to come out with something new, that everybody wants, that only you have the patent for. And something like a better battery will open up all kinds of new markets as well, which you as the inventor would potentially have a leg up on.

why retool, build new facilities, when you can run the old shit off of the old tooling and materials. If you don't think things don't make it to market because of this, you may be in the dark about how the world works. (Not an insult!)

That hard part is once someone copies your design. They can sell lower because they don't have R&D overhead to recoup. No the copy in most cases isn't as good as the original, but with any product, the consumers decide if the quality loss is worth the price difference, and sometimes it works out badly.

And also, sometimes inventing something could end with someone else perfecting it, yes you started it, but since I piggybacked off your work, I was able to take it one step further at lower cost and having a different perspective on it. Like staring at a paper all night thinking it is perfect and your friend sits down and pulls out spelling and grammatical errors in seconds. New eyes on it.

Not really trying to argue, just that things like this can take so many different paths.

why retool, build new facilities, when you can run the old shit off of the old tooling and materials. If you don't think things don't make it to market because of this, you may be in the dark about how the world works. (Not an insult!)
:rolleyes: I'm older than dirt, so trust me, I know how the world works. Companies might buy out a competitor with a similar product just to get rid of it, but they will not put something on the shelf that they can sell a gazillion of even if it replaces a current shipping product. In a very immature market they might delay a new product, but not for something like rechargeable batteries. You keep believing the conspiracy theories if you want to, but there is not a shred of evidence any of them are true. Maybe someday when trips to the moon are common, you will be able to get a selfie standing next to one of the Apollo LEMs and you'll think back on this conversation. Too bad I'll be dead by then. :(

:rolleyes: I'm older than dirt, so trust me, I know how the world works. Companies might buy out a competitor with a similar product just to get rid of it, but they will not put something on the shelf that they can sell a gazillion of even if it replaces a current shipping product. In a very immature market they might delay a new product, but not for something like rechargeable batteries. You keep believing the conspiracy theories if you want to, but there is not a shred of evidence any of them are true. Maybe someday when trips to the moon are common, you will be able to get a selfie standing next to one of the Apollo LEMs and you'll think back on this conversation. Too bad I'll be dead by then. :(

I'm old too. I'll probably be pushing daisies before we see a man on the moon again. Ugh

Back