LG's latest super phone, the G2. 5.2" 1080p, Snapdragon 800, 3000mAh...

Why the FUCK does Verizon turn everything into horse shit?

LG has unfairly gotten a lot of crap for their skin IMO in the various reviews. TouchWiz crams in a lot more useless junk which in practice you'll never use and its basically Gingerbread era. Calling LG a TW copy is not fair at all.

Just went to a local ATT store to play with the G2 in person.

Holy cow :eek: AWESOME phone :D Next to the Galaxy S4, HTC One, Galaxy Note 3, iPhone 5S, the G2 was easily the best phone of the bunch on display in the store. Best screen, really cool looking with little to no bezels, thin and lightweight, super fast zero lag, very comfortable in hand, rested in hand nicely, and the knock-on feature is really cool to turn on the display, should be a standard Android feature.

In my mind now, the G2 is the best Android phone available, no question.

Yeah, less speculating, more using phones. :p The G2 display blows everything out of the water. The only reason this is a sleeper hit -- even among geeks -- is because LG seemingly sucks at developing marketing plans for the United States.

Just went to a local ATT store to play with the G2 in person.

Holy cow :eek: AWESOME phone :D Next to the Galaxy S4, HTC One, Galaxy Note 3, iPhone 5S, the G2 was easily the best phone of the bunch on display in the store. Best screen, really cool looking with little to no bezels, thin and lightweight, super fast zero lag, very comfortable in hand, rested in hand nicely, and the knock-on feature is really cool to turn on the display, should be a standard Android feature.

In my mind now, the G2 is the best Android phone available, no question.

What did you think of the buttons being on the back? How did the build quality seem to you?

Yeah, less speculating, more using phones. :p The G2 display blows everything out of the water. The only reason this is a sleeper hit -- even among geeks -- is because LG seemingly sucks at developing marketing plans for the United States.

If your not a brand whore or fanboy, the LG G2 is the phone to get. Not to be rude, but most iPhone fans buy it because it has a fruit on the back of the phone. And Samsung has become a household name and way too popular lately.

I like to support the underdogs, and Samsung or Apple don't need any more sales, I am happy to give it to LG, and they are deserving of it for coming out with a great new smartphone.

Can it be true, that LG made such a great phone in the G2, to really get their name out there, and they wanted to try their best and put every effort they could in making the absolute best smartphone for 2013 ? Where as Samsung is so successful and popular now, maybe they didn't go that extra mile with the S4, made it nice, but not super like they could have, but don't need too ?

End of the day, going to a phone store, seeing all the high end brands on display next to each other, and going in with no bias and an open mind, there is no question the G2 is the best of the bunch, and not just little better, in my opinion head and shoulders better. Only phone I seeing beating the G2 is not till next year, with the Galaxy S5 or HTC Two due in March / April

What did you think of the buttons being on the back? How did the build quality seem to you?

With only five minutes with the G2 in hand, I can't really say. But it seemed like something you would adjust to rather quickly. And with the knock on feature, tap screen twice to turn on, tap twice again to turn screen off, you don't use the power button as much. And that knock on feature is really cool, should be a standard option for Android.

Way better to have power button on back middle, than HTC always putting the power button on top to turn on the screen, that has always been the worst spot to have a button to turn the screen on.

Still loving this battery

g2batt_6.png

How is LG's record in regards to getting updates out? Pretty timely or do they not give a crap?

(also, any word on the vine about this getting a Developer Edition?)

The only reason this is a sleeper is because LG has a history of coming out with amazing phones and then forgetting about them.

Also, why only release the Buttlerfly (Droid DNA) on verison and NEVER come out with a variant anywhere else? That was by far my favorite phone for the longest but since I wasn't on Verizon I couldn't use it.

The only reason this is a sleeper is because LG has a history of coming out with amazing phones and then forgetting about them.

Also, why only release the Buttlerfly (Droid DNA) on verison and NEVER come out with a variant anywhere else? That was by far my favorite phone for the longest but since I wasn't on Verizon I couldn't use it.

While I agree with you that there is a risk of untimely updates of future android versions, I would draw a distinction and say none of them be said to be particularly reliable in that regard for a variety of reasons, and also, I still don't believe that holds a candle to a more effective marketing plan.

We are a minority of even Android users.

I got the mess around with the Verizon version at the store. The buttons on the back just feels weird to me. The front looks really nice, I'm keeping my eye out for the nexus 5. (lol verizon nexus phones)

The Verizon buttons are definitely worse than the other version, but you get used to them all the same.

How is LG's record in regards to getting updates out? Pretty timely or do they not give a crap?

(also, any word on the vine about this getting a Developer Edition?)

I wouldn't expect it. With the Nexus 5 being based on this phone, I can't really see them bothering. One AOSP device should be enough.

How is LG w.r.t driver support - i.e. is it possible for a custom rom to also include the special features, like knock to turn on/off, or is that locked in proprietary drivers.

While I agree with you that there is a risk of untimely updates of future android versions, I would draw a distinction and say none of them be said to be particularly reliable in that regard for a variety of reasons, and also, I still don't believe that holds a candle to a more effective marketing plan.

We are a minority of even Android users.

I can agree with that. But I'd say it was also a sleeper with our crowd as well.

How is LG w.r.t driver support - i.e. is it possible for a custom rom to also include the special features, like knock to turn on/off, or is that locked in proprietary drivers.

The only ROMs out now are all based on the stock LG ROM, so they all have the useful gestures still (ie knock knock). I would assume if the developers can find the code for the features they want, it shouldn't be an issue to add it to whatever they are making. I'm completely in the dark on how development actually works though, so I really am just guessing.

Finally got mine yesterday and I'm loving it. It's a big step up from my Gnex.

My view on the updates. If you want a phone with guaranteed and timely updates, there is only one option for Android, and that of course is the Nexus line. But the problem with Nexus phones, is they are always missing a feature, or lacking in some areas, maybe lesser camera, or smaller battery, or little storage, etc...

Now look at the all mighty Samsung. One of their flagship top phones, the Galaxy Note 2, has not been updated in one year :eek: The Note 2 released last year with Android 4.1...then in November 4.2 came and the Note 2 did not get it, then in June 4.3 came out, and Note 2 still did not get that either, and now 4.4 is coming out this month, and the best Samsung is saying is getting the older 4.3 update on the Note 2 in December, and no word whatsoever if it will ever get 4.4.

Bottom line, if it's not a Nexus your beholden to the manufacture, and then worse the U.S. carriers waiting to push the update. Your best bet is rooting and ROM'ing, and also hoping LG releases the kernels and is more open to the development community. Which I would bet they will be with the G2, they need to get their name out there, and get noticed, and being kind with developers does help a company get their name out.

I feel LG with their G2 is sort of like Samsung was years ago, when they were first getting popular with Android, and their Galaxy S2 really put them on the map two years ago and get them going. I fell the G2 might do the same for LG, and in two years from now, they could be a Android powerhouse.

Now look at the all mighty Samsung. One of their flagship top phones, the Galaxy Note 2, has not been updated in one year :eek: The Note 2 released last year with Android 4.1...then in November 4.2 came and the Note 2 did not get it, then in June 4.3 came out, and Note 2 still did not get that either, and now 4.4 is coming out this month, and the best Samsung is saying is getting the older 4.3 update on the Note 2 in December, and no word whatsoever if it will ever get 4.4.

To be fair 4.2 wasn't a major update at all and very few phones have been updated to it, most that have it were launched with that version. The note 2 should have 4.3 in nov and Samsung has gone on the record to include in a list of devices that will get google's next major update (4.4).

To be fair 4.2 wasn't a major update at all and very few phones have been updated to it, most that have it were launched with that version. The note 2 should have 4.3 in nov and Samsung has gone on the record to include in a list of devices that will get google's next major update (4.4).

Thanks, I haven't seen the 4.4 list from Samsung yet. All I heard was that the Note 2 would be the last of the phones getting 4.3, getting it in December, where as the S4 and S3 get 4.3 Oct / Nov.

4.2 was a big update just for the 'group messaging' option in the stock Messaging app, that was much needed and for me HUGE update. And 4.3 will come to the Note 2, pretty much 6 months after release, and the Note 2 will still be outdated, because 4.4 will be 2 months old by then, and the N2 will be behind the curve.

Thanks, I haven't seen the 4.4 list from Samsung yet. All I heard was that the Note 2 would be the last of the phones getting 4.3, getting it in December, where as the S4 and S3 get 4.3 Oct / Nov.

4.2 was a big update just for the 'group messaging' option in the stock Messaging app, that was much needed and for me HUGE update. And 4.3 will come to the Note 2, pretty much 6 months after release, and the Note 2 will still be outdated, because 4.4 will be 2 months old by then, and the N2 will be behind the curve.

We don't even know what 4.4 brings to the table.

Take a deep breath man, not every device gets updated as fast a GPE.

Stop worrying about being outdated and enjoy your phone dude. You care way too much. Your life isn't going to magically get better with Android 4.4. You'll get it when you get it. Better that they take their time and release something that works rather than pulling an HTC and breaking everything.

Having timely updates is nice but honestly, as refined as the OS is getting, I really think it's less and less of a huge deal breaker like it used to be. Honestly, ICS and project butter and things of that ilk were very cool and functional. However I've been using my GN2 still on 4.1 since last year and I haven't seen a damn thing in either the 4.2, or 4.3 release notes that made me jump up and down saying "Oh boy, I want that!!" Suffice to say that the updates to the OS feel much more incremental these days. I don't really have any sense that I'm missing out on anything. My phones works awesome and does everything I expect it to.

Group messaging on the stock app???? Hmm, my GN2 has been doing that out of the box and it's only on 4.1.

Last edited:
Is there any way to get a non-Verizon version of the G2 to work on their network? I'm having second thoughts about my Note 3 pre-order, but the Verizon version of G2 is so fucking ugly. What the hell was the purpose of changing it's design? SMH...

Is there any way to get a non-Verizon version of the G2 to work on their network? I'm having second thoughts about my Note 3 pre-order, but the Verizon version of G2 is so fucking ugly. What the hell was the purpose of changing it's design? SMH...

LTE perhaps, but I don't think overall because CDMA vs GSM... It's seriously time to dump CDMA. It was the better tech in some ways, but there's no denying that it's dying. And then Sprint's version has only weird LTE bands for them.

Wireless Charging

It's really not that bad, I RARELY even use them because of knock on.

LTE perhaps, but I don't think overall because CDMA vs GSM... It's seriously time to dump CDMA. It was the better tech in some ways, but there's no denying that it's dying. And then Sprint's version has only weird LTE bands for them.

I don't think it would work. Oddly enough, Verizon's model can be unlocked to work on GSM networks. It lacks AT&T and T-Mobiles LTE bands, but it will work fine on HSPA+ with a SIM card. But I can't find anything about the reverse being true.

I don't think it would work. Oddly enough, Verizon's model can be unlocked to work on GSM networks. It lacks AT&T and T-Mobiles LTE bands, but it will work fine on HSPA+ with a SIM card. But I can't find anything about the reverse being true.

According to the Wikipedia entry the Verizon version has LTE band 4 which is what T-Mo uses. No band 17 which is what AT&T uses. Of course, that makes it worthless, because you should go for www.aiowireless.com (AT&T owned). I ordered the T-Mo version of the phone unlocked from Negri and will bring it to Aio when I get it. T-Mo version fully supports AT&T but not the other way around.

Got one in my hands right now! Upgraded from a Motorola droid x2. Loving the horsepower. I've only had it since last night @9pm

Back