LG's latest super phone, the G2. 5.2" 1080p, Snapdragon 800, 3000mAh...

What benefit would merging with Nokia have to either party, nether will gain anything. All of these struggling phone makers need to sell out or merge with an up and coming Chinese manufacturer.
Because Nokia just spun off their manufacturing plants and the sold their hardware chip unit. HTC could be the company's "android" unit, and Nokia be the "WP" unit. And sell phones on quality material, quality control, and good cameras. Both companies alone will fail.

Because Nokia just spun off their manufacturing plants and the sold their hardware chip unit. HTC could be the company's "android" unit, and Nokia be the "WP" unit. And sell phones on quality material, quality control, and good cameras. Both companies alone will fail.

Except corporate mergers NEVER work out like that.

Except corporate mergers NEVER work out like that.
hence, i used the words "probably" and "or something"

But if it could happen, it would be something that could actually compete with big manufacturing companies such as Samsung, LG, and Sony. Only reason Apple is still in the mix is that they are simply way ahead of them. In ten years, we'll probably see Apple in similar shape like the 90's.

Last edited:
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnywayyyys..... back to the phone.

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in it, at least from this forum.
I've been following the phone for awhile now, and am picking mine up from Verizon in the morning.
I really wish it had a removable battery and sd slot, because it would have made it a no decision/hands down winner for me, but I'm willing to give it a go because of such a massive battery in it and deal with only 22GB of usable space.

There aren't really any other options for a phone with the latest chipset and snapdragon 800 that isn't a phablet at the moment.

The locked bootloader of the S4 is what has been keeping me from using my eligible upgrade that I've had since Feb. I'm hoping the G2 is more easily unlocked, but at this point I'm willing to take the risk as I cracked my gnex recently and can't wait any longer.

I think the G2 is a major underdog, but a surprise champion :) I think the LG name is keeping people away, they just aren't that well known yet, like Samsung, HTC, and Motorola, in the high end smartphone category.

Spec's wise the G2 is the best Android phone on sale right now, hands down the best. Yes the Note 3 is coming in a month, but it's also a lot larger, and heavier, and not a G2 competitor.

I really wish there was a GPE version of the G2, that would be worth the $650 price tag, not the somewhat dated Galaxy S4 and One GPE phones.

I am picking one up tomorrow. Looking forward to going back to Android from an iOS (5) and current WP8 (Lumia 928) vacation.

Mine will be delivered on Friday. I'm hopeful for a strong dev community.

I cannot wait to have a battery again
I work from home most days, with WiFi, and from a full charge my Gnex is down to around 35% battery life after being unplugged for 16 hours and i barely use it.

I hear ya. The GNex had terrible battery life after three months when I had it and I even bought a OEM samsung extended battery. Complete crap, LTE drained the GNex and people who had the GSM verison had way better battery life and got updates more often. Never buy a Nexus device on any CDMA based carrier, you are just asking to get burned unless you are ok with ROMs which are hit and miss. Got rid of the Gnex after 6 months.

I don't get how you guys hated the battery life but are ready to jump into another sealed battery.

I don't get how you guys hated the battery life but are ready to jump into another sealed battery.

Well, if you were referring to me, the Gnex has a removable battery, but still it's not eve close to the same amount of power.

1850mAh vs 3000mAh from the Gnex to the G2.
That number alone is a staggering increase in phone life

I dont mind sealed batteries if the battery life last me a WHOLE day with my usage pattern. Now that smartphones are there I am moving it up to at least 2 days until there is a smartphone that last a whole week. I also change my phones often 6-9 months on avg. so theoretically my batteries should hold at least 80% of its original charge while I use the phone but my Gnex and Droid 2 global both with OEM extended batteries couldnt hold even near 80% of its original charge for longer than 4-5 months.

Picked up my G2....

LIGHTNING fast and zero lag. I've been fucking around with it with the screen on for almost 2 hours and its barely lost any battery.

Can't wait until this thing gets root

Will be checking this out in the store today. I don't know if I'll wait for the Z1, although I want to. Phones that have me interested:

LG G2 (maybe Nexus 5?)
Z1
Note 3
iPhone 5S (wife phone)

The G2 is currently out and I want to see the skin.

I'm only 2 hours in, and i already like the rear buttons, it really does feel a lot more natural than having them on the sides.
And seriously, every phone should have double tap screen on, it's one of the best things about this phone (among many others)

Only major flaw with this phone is lack of a microSD slot. Wish it had one. As such, it's off my list of phones to consider. For anyone that doesn't need a microSD slot and wants something smaller than the Note 3, this looks like an amazing phone.

Does double tap screen work better or worse with accidentally turning on in your pocket?

Does double tap screen work better or worse with accidentally turning on in your pocket?

It is sensitive to your finger touch.
I put it in my pocket of my shorts (basketball shorts, and khaki shorts) and shouldn't get it to turn on by double tapping it through the fabrics, only when i pushed my finger directly against the screen

Im guessing too many processes in the background.

I actually don't run anything in the background, at all. I would like to though.

I think its a combination of the galaxy nexus never really having good battery life + almost 2 year old battery.

I never have GPS,bluetooth enabled either, it only checks for email every 1hour.

I actually don't run anything in the background, at all. I would like to though.

I think its a combination of the galaxy nexus never really having good battery life + almost 2 year old battery.

I never have GPS,bluetooth enabled either, it only checks for email every 1hour.

Yea, if you have the Verizon Gnex it never had good battery life to begin with. If you have a GSM Gnex it was pretty decent. I had the same problem you did, by the end of my time with my Gnex 8 months I was using both the Standard and Extended OEM batteries in a day and I wasnt actually using it all that much. I like you never turned on GPS or bluetooth and the only apps I really had were music, texting, googlevoice, and chrome. I didnt play games, I dont really facebook, twitter, but I had it pushing email. I also had brightness at like 10% and I still dont know how it drained so quickly.

Oh wow, were you on the ATT version of GNex or the Verizon?

Oh wow, were you on the ATT version of GNex or the Verizon?

Verizon.

...In other news, I JUST cancelled my $356 Galaxy note 3 pre-order. I saw on an android news site that LetsTalk.com has the LG G2 for $79.99 - $4 coupon = 75.99 with overnight free shipping

Saving $225 compared to the Note 3 is a no brainer, and I'll probably be able to use it with one hand, and I'll get it now instead of in a month.

Cant wait!

edit: the website removed the device completely from listing, hopefully I wont get a cancellation email ;0

Last edited:
Verizon.

...In other news, I JUST cancelled my $356 Galaxy note 3 pre-order. I saw on an android news site that LetsTalk.com has the LG G2 for $79.99 - $4 coupon = 75.99 with overnight free shipping

Saving $225 compared to the Note 3 is a no brainer, and I'll probably be able to use it with one hand, and I'll get it now instead of in a month.

Cant wait!

edit: the website removed the device completely from listing, hopefully I wont get a cancellation email ;0

Can you please link that deal ? I am looking on 'letstalk' can't find that. Thanks

Yeah, I saw that deal earlier too. Somehow I doubt they're going to put a flagship phone less than a month old on sale for that low. Even if it was legit, I'd still rather wait and pay more for the Note 3. LG is always one of the first OEMs out with new architechture and manage to screw the phone up every time, usually with quality control issues and lackluster software support. I think the Optimus G, which is the same damn thing as the Nexus 4, is still on 4.1. *shakes head*

Yeah, I saw that deal earlier too. Somehow I doubt they're going to put a flagship phone less than a month old on sale for that low. Even if it was legit, I'd still rather wait and pay more for the Note 3. LG is always one of the first OEMs out with new architechture and manage to screw the phone up every time, usually with quality control issues and lackluster software support. I think the Optimus G, which is the same damn thing as the Nexus 4, is still on 4.1. *shakes head*

Eh, anandtech pretty much reviewed it already and said it is a kickass phone,

I actually got scared because when I refreshed the page it said customer attention needed, I called and they just said they needed to "verify" something something something, it returned to the picking & packing step.

its not even less than a month old, its a day old, it only began selling 9/12/13 (yesterday).

and apparently you can root it, so I guess you could ROM it for the latest android version.

and... $250 savings compared to the Note 3 (they don't take tax).

Last edited:
Anyone else get one of these? I'm probably going to try to pick one up tomorrow after playing with it in the Verizon store for a while today. Looks like it's going to be a huge upgrade over my GNex especially in terms of battery life. The only thing that even semi-worries me is LG and community support. LG is as bad as it gets in terms of updating their phones. The phone has already been rooted, so it's probably only a matter of time before we get bootloader access. Hopefully some decent devs pick up the G2 for some custom ROM goodness.

Also, damn VZW for changing their version of the phone. None of the good accessories currently fit their model (except the crap you can buy at their store, of course). Only VZW does this crap. If their network wasn't the best thing going right now, I'd be off of them in a heartbeat.

Anyone else get one of these? I'm probably going to try to pick one up tomorrow after playing with it in the Verizon store for a while today. Looks like it's going to be a huge upgrade over my GNex especially in terms of battery life. The only thing that even semi-worries me is LG and community support. LG is as bad as it gets in terms of updating their phones. The phone has already been rooted, so it's probably only a matter of time before we get bootloader access. Hopefully some decent devs pick up the G2 for some custom ROM goodness.

Also, damn VZW for changing their version of the phone. None of the good accessories currently fit their model (except the crap you can buy at their store, of course). Only VZW does this crap. If their network wasn't the best thing going right now, I'd be off of them in a heartbeat.

Coming from a gnex, this thing has unheard of battery life in comparison.

I pulled mine out of the plug last night at 10pm, and have been using it somewhat heavily, and as of right now, about 24 hours later, it still has 45% left

I just got one of these on AT&T today. Coming from an iPhone 4S, I love it so far! It's fast, stable, and the multi tasking with *floating resizable* windows is almost like having windows 7 on my phone. I am going to enjoy this.

I cannot wait to have a battery again
I work from home most days, with WiFi, and from a full charge my Gnex is down to around 35% battery life after being unplugged for 16 hours and i barely use it.

You may need a new battery. My Gnex will finish out a 16hr day with 40%+ on 4G the entire time.

Back