LG's latest super phone, the G2. 5.2" 1080p, Snapdragon 800, 3000mAh...

zamardii

2[H]4U
Phone looks great, but I am really looking forward to the Note 3 before I decide on my next upgrade which is due in October.

Specs:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/07/lg-g2-officially-announced/

Hands-on:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/07/hands-on-with-the-lg-g2/

Loving the ultra thin bezel...

lgg2.jpg

Looks pretty nice! But I think I'd wait for the Note 3. Kinda sucks that it doesn't have expandable storage, but if the carriers carry the 32GB version, then it's not so bad.

Also, LOL at the Verizon variant:

verizon-lg-g2-650x553.jpg

I thought it was a joke at first.

RELEASE DATES! i mean COME ON.

I have an upgrade in 9 days and I don't know what to do with it yet. (vzw)

I wouldnt mind trying out a LG phone. I think they are consistently getting better and they are the only big OEM I havent tried yet that makes android based mobile phones. I think this is more of a S4 competitor than Note series. Either way I think everyone should wait 2 months if they are doing their 2 year upgrade. So many good phones are going to be released/announced in 2 months.

For the life of me I don't know why they thought the removable battery and micro SD should be a Korean model exclusive, especially after the Optimus G Pro.

Definitely gorgeous. I wouldn't jump on this right at release though, I'd give it a month or two to see how reliability is. The Optimus G, the G Pro and the N4 went a long way in reestablishing LG as reputable brand, but it's not there yet.

Also, no removable storage? Kind of bullshit, even though I wouldn't use 32gb anyways. I have a 64gb One that has maybe 17gb filled.

Definitely gorgeous. I wouldn't jump on this right at release though, I'd give it a month or two to see how reliability is. The Optimus G, the G Pro and the N4 went a long way in reestablishing LG as reputable brand, but it's not there yet.

Also, no removable storage? Kind of bullshit, even though I wouldn't use 32gb anyways. I have a 64gb One that has maybe 17gb filled.
I have the 32 GB, and I had to try hard to fill it to 16.25 GB! Way too many apps installed. And now I have to start downloading albums from G Play Music Sub.

Nice phone, very nice. This phone really had no major hype,leading up to it, unlike the Moto 'X', and the G2 actually lives up to the press it deserves :cool:

LG is gonna be big in 2014, might replace HTC as the next biggest Android maker.

But I am holding out for either the Note 3 or Nexus-Five myself.

It's very nice indeed. That said, I still don't trust LG as a phone brand but they are making some headway. On top of that, with Verizon likely to take over WIND Mobile in Canada and subsequently obtain & deploy new spectrum...

I think I might tough it out with my Galaxy Nexus for awhile longer, though the screen is slowly dying on me. Then again, I'm not sure if I'd ever buy a phone from Verizon itself if the above is what I have to look forward to lol.

Audio looks awesome, nice processor. Don't care for the display after being spoiled with Samsung OLED displays.

Looks decent.

Software legitimately looks terrible. Hardware looks fine, but come on. UI looks like shit from 5 years ago.

Yeah, it looks like LG is trying to outdo Samsung for gaudy UI and gimmicky features, which isn't a good thing at all. How the hell did they think knocking on your phone was intuitive or something people would want to do?

HTC and Moto are catching on that less is more, Samsung and LG need to do the same.

Samsung doesn't appear to have a problem selling phones.

Neither does Apple. But that shouldn't mean that they should get complacent and stop listening to their critics and users.

But I attribute a lot of that to them being the first OEM to get a standardized/unified phone on all carriers across the US and world and marketing the hell out of it. That paved the way for the GS3 and all of their flagships afterwords to be so successful. If any other OEM had been able to do the same thing with a comparable phone, they might have had a chance to take a large market share from Samsung. But HTC and Moto are just now doing that with their flagships and they still aren't spending a fraction of what Samsung is on advertising.

Don't care for the display after being spoiled with Samsung OLED displays.

I owned a TON of Samsung (and subsequently, OLED) devices over the years, including going from an Infuse, to an S2, to a Skyrocket, to a Note, to an S3, to a Note2, and the best thing I ever did was getting away from Samsung's OLED implementation. The Nokia 920 (different OLED tech), the One X, the Nexus 4 and the One have such gorgeous screens, I no count Samsung's screens as a disadvantage.

Yeah, it looks like LG is trying to outdo Samsung for gaudy UI and gimmicky features, which isn't a good thing at all. How the hell did they think knocking on your phone was intuitive or something people would want to do?

HTC and Moto are catching on that less is more, Samsung and LG need to do the same.

lol I am pretty sure that less is more is what is killing everyone and allowing Samsung to bum rape them all.

What is that slider or rocker under the camera, is it volume or a zoom function or what? What a weird place for it.

lol I am pretty sure that less is more is what is killing everyone and allowing Samsung to bum rape them all.

What is that slider or rocker under the camera, is it volume or a zoom function or what? What a weird place for it.

I disagree. See my previous post for my reason why.

That weird slider is where they put the power button and volume toggle.

lol I don't care if you disagree the facts are that over the last 4 or so years OEMs have one by one started to move to simple designs where less is more trying to get in on apples profit margins. And during that exact same time Samsung has gone from being just 1 in the bunch of android players to the clear front runner. And they have done so to the dismay of the less is more proponents who keep saying oh but we don't really need a removable battery, we don't need expansion, a giant phone, who wants that, temp sensors, IR emitters etc, I don't get it whats the big deal, Samsung is adding more, others are taking away, Samsung is gaining market share others are losing it.

Also you have things exactly backwards. Samsung did not get a unified brand becaue they were just oh so smart to do it, every idiot out there wants a unified brand on all carriers, the carriers don't want that, so how does one get it? Simple they move a ton of phones. The early galaxy phones paved the way without a unified brand, not the other way around.

The early galaxy phones paved the way without a unified brand, not the other way around.

Agreed. The S2 was such a international success that gave samsung a much better bargaining chip for all subsequent phones.

lol I don't care if you disagree the facts are that over the last 4 or so years OEMs have one by one started to move to simple designs where less is more trying to get in on apples profit margins. And during that exact same time Samsung has gone from being just 1 in the bunch of android players to the clear front runner. And they have done so to the dismay of the less is more proponents who keep saying oh but we don't really need a removable battery, we don't need expansion, a giant phone, who wants that, temp sensors, IR emitters etc, I don't get it whats the big deal, Samsung is adding more, others are taking away, Samsung is gaining market share others are losing it.

lol ok lol whatever lol bruh lol

lol

When I say "less is more", I'm talking about their software and UI design, not the hardware. TW is gaudy looking and ugly and retarded features like eye scrolling or pausing while looking away. That crap just bloats up the OS and I'm sure is why the GS4 doesn't operate as smoothly as other phones competing with it. So yes, Samsung still allowing us to replace the battery, expand on storage, and adding a plethora of other sensors to the phone definitely what's keeping them apart from their competitors.

Also you have things exactly backwards. Samsung did not get a unified brand becaue they were just oh so smart to do it, every idiot out there wants a unified brand on all carriers, the carriers don't want that, so how does one get it? Simple they move a ton of phones. The early galaxy phones paved the way without a unified brand, not the other way around.

The Galaxy S was a unified brand (it just wasn't a unified hardware design) and Samsung got the original Galaxy S phones in all the markets before they ever moved a ton of phones beforehand. They just had to have slightly different variants on all the carriers in order for them to agree to it so they all have their special carrier version. Any other OEM could have done the same thing at that point, but they chose to stay with their own special brand/exclusives for each carrier instead of having one flagship name like the Galaxy S. After the success of the GS and the GS2, this empowered Samsung to push the same GS3 phone to all markets/carriers, which was when Samsung really took off and paved the way for their immense success of the ubiquitous Galaxy line, propelling them to Apple levels of market share and brand recognition.

I think any other OEM could have done the same thing if they had the business sense to create a unified brand across all carriers at the time, which would have let to them having unified hardware too. Samsung just did it first and it helped that they had stellar hardware and software to back up their brand too. Gingerbread TW was pretty amazing in its own right because it was super smooth even when compared to stock Android because of the hardware acceleration built into it. But their latest TW software has just gotten too bloated with gimmicks and it's downright ugly compared to stock Android or Sense 5. It's not bad enough to affect sales at the moment, but it will be if they keep making it worse and people keep seeing how much worse it is compared to what's on HTC or Moto phones now that they're being sold on the same carriers. I would hope that after seeing their UI get bashed by almost every professional reviewer that they would take some steps toward at least implementing a Holo type UI and scrapping these useless features that are only good for demos and stat padding. I actually like a lot of TW features on my Note 2, but UI elements were just so fugly, I put Beans ROM on it that has an AOSP look everywhere, but I still have all the TW features available, which is perfect. I just wish I didn't have to ROM my phone to make it look/function decent and disable some of the other garbage TW features.

lol :p

Last edited:
It wasn't a unified brand it was called an epic 4g on sprint, galaxy S only showed up when you booted the phone, no normal people even knew what it was called. Fascinate, etc... different name on every carrier just like all the other companies that made otherwise nearly identical phones.

No other OEM could do it, they want to.Do you really think that all the OEMs are just sitting around watching hundreds of news articles about apples unified brand advantage and saying that stupid its way better to have 100 different names for things ? lol.

Through out phone history the US carriers have ALWAYS tried to fool the public into thinking that a particular phone was their own exclusive. And phone OEMS have ALWAYS known this was bad for them. Most of the time OEMs would just say well I wont stock it if you don't make me my own version. But every once in a while a phone would sell so hot or be so popular that the US carriers had to have it even if it meant compromising to the OEMs demands. The RAZR, iPhone, Galaxy S3 where phones that were able to do this. And no OEM has ever wanted anything but that for a very long time.

All of the carrier variants said Galaxy S right on the back of the phone and not their bastarized carrier name.

Sprint's Epic 4G
229423-samsung-epic-back.jpg

Verizon's Fascinate
Samsung-Fascinate-Back.jpg

AT&T's Captivate
Samsung_Captivate_back.jpg

T-Mobile's Vibrant (which they later repaced with the "Galaxy S 4G")
Vibrant%20TMobile_2.jpg

That's pretty obvious branding, I think. Same story on the GS2 variants.

As to the rest; cool story brah. We could go back and forth on it forever. No use in debating it now. I still think any other OEM could have done the same thing if they were determined enough and had the right hardware. They were just compacent with how carriers worked and didn't want to break the mold.

Last edited:
The real question is, how will LG go with software upgrades. So far they have not been good in that department. Also their phones were not highest quality build.

But, it seems LG goes for Samsung at phone and TV market quite strong. Their magic remote and ease of use is years beyond Samsung TV control. In phones, I prefer LG TrueIPS HD to AMOLED anytime.

And with the size of the phone, the backbuttons make sense, as it's easier to reach and touch tchem than side buttons. Seems, they go same way as with TV, when they explain that "smart" means not only lots of strange features, but also easy and comfortable usage.

I owned a TON of Samsung (and subsequently, OLED) devices over the years, including going from an Infuse, to an S2, to a Skyrocket, to a Note, to an S3, to a Note2, and the best thing I ever did was getting away from Samsung's OLED implementation. The Nokia 920 (different OLED tech), the One X, the Nexus 4 and the One have such gorgeous screens, I no count Samsung's screens as a disadvantage.

Lumia 920 has IPS screen. But anyway, after seeing Galaxy S and S2 screens I can say one good thing about them: black is black. Other than that they are crap in pretty much every possible way. They are slow and blurry too in motion. The only thing that is worse on my Lumia 920 is the contrast ratio but it hardly makes difference in normal lighting.

after 1.5 years of using my Galaxy Nexus -- I notice spots where my keyboard has "burned into" the screen.... only really notice it when I'm on a page with lots of white, like I see ghosts of letters on the screen.

Other than that issue I do loveh the OLED -- black is black, colors are good from what I can tell. I have about 7 more months before I can upgrade though. Hopefully there will be something super badass on the market around march or april.

Wrong. Less is not more. They are catching on that they can cheap out on certain features and most people are too ignorant and apathetic to care about anything ever.

We as consumers do not benefit from stupid things like internal batteries and lack of expansion ability.

Wrong. Less is not more. They are catching on that they can cheap out on certain features and most people are too ignorant and apathetic to care about anything ever.

We as consumers do not benefit from stupid things like internal batteries and lack of expansion ability.

Re-read my posts again. I was referring to software and UI design, not hardware. Sense and Moto's skin has gotten a lot less bloated and ugly than their previous UI versions.

Samsung is winning because of manufacturing superiority. Only LG and Sony are capable of beating Samsung, and I don't believe that anyone will argue that Samsung has both of them beat by at least "a year." By year, I mean that Sony is catching up quickly and could have something extremely competitive by next spring; as for LG, they may have some "galaxy killers" next October. HTC, a company without any manufacturing benefits, will be left to die, probably should seek out a merger with Nokia or something.

What benefit would merging with Nokia have to either party, nether will gain anything. All of these struggling phone makers need to sell out or merge with an up and coming Chinese manufacturer.

Samsung is winning because of manufacturing superiority. Only LG and Sony are capable of beating Samsung, and I don't believe that anyone will argue that Samsung has both of them beat by at least "a year." By year, I mean that Sony is catching up quickly and could have something extremely competitive by next spring; as for LG, they may have some "galaxy killers" next October. HTC, a company without any manufacturing benefits, will be left to die, probably should seek out a merger with Nokia or something.

I feel LG has the most potential to be a real player in the smartphone market, beating out HTC and Sony. They remind me of Samsung back with the first Galaxy S a few years ago. I see their G2 as being LG's break into the big leagues this Fall, it should be pretty popular, and help LG get their name out there. And then if LG is also the maker of the Nexus-Five, that helps market them more too. Come 2014 / 2015 LG could be big time.

Sony I see potential too, they just need to get rolling already with steady products on all carriers.

HTC seems stuck in a bad rut. The One is great, but they need to keep it up, need another killer product. HTC has a ton of pressure on them. We'll see

Back