LGs 55 inch OLED TV

CoolColJ

Limp Gawd
It's coming this year - finally OLED displays get off the ground :cool:

The panel has a thickness from only 4 mm and weights only 7.5 kg. The contrast ratio is over 100.000:1 and the reaction time is 1000 times faster than the LCD-technology. The panel refresh rate is less than 0.1 microsecon

It one quick swoop 120 hertz LCD monitors have been obseleted ;)

it'll be over $10000 most likely :(

It's coming this year - finally OLED displays get off the ground :cool:

OLEDs were supposed to get off the ground every year for the last 5 years, so I will remain skeptical that it will happen before 2015.

It one quick swoop 120 hertz LCD monitors have been obseleted ;)

Not until an actual monitor product hits the shelves with a price under $1000, and a 55-inch TV is not a monitor. If you're thinking about delaying the purchase of a 120Hz monitor to wait for OLED, don't. Not happening this year, not happening next year, or the year after that.

it'll be over $10000 most likely :(

Your estimate is extremely low.

Well I read LG and Samsung are going ahead with a release this year.
LG 2nd quarter 2012

Already saw the price on this I thought and it was like $30,000 - $40,000 I thought

These 55" OLED panels by LG and Samsung won't come out in substantial volume until 2013. There will be a significant price premium until both makers are competing with each other. An 8G metal oxide OLED panel is supposed to cost 40% less per area than LCD BOM-wise. LG and Samsung are aiming in the long term to capitalize all of the TV market including developing economies with AMOLED as it will eventually allow for better margins than LCD.

This also means we should see desktop AMOLED monitors at some point simply because they will cost less to produce, irrespective of lifetime concerns.

Last edited:
These 55" OLED panels by LG and Samsung won't come out in substantial volume until 2013. There will be a significant price premium until both makers are competing with each other. An 8G metal oxide OLED panel is supposed to cost 40% less per area than LCD BOM-wise. LG and Samsung are aiming in the long term to capitalize all of the TV market including developing economies with AMOLED as it will eventually allow for better margins than LCD.

This also means we should see desktop AMOLED monitors at some point simply because they will cost less to produce, irrespective of lifetime concerns.

Yes, Oled is the future!

The only way it will obliterate 120hz lcd's is if it supports >120hz input.

If they claim .1 microsecond refresh then why shouldn't they be able to make a 120Hz model? What about OLED requires more image processing or whatever else causes input lag?

His name is Oled. This is clearly something he's excited about, and he seemed to agree with you.

I really hope they come out with crazy refresh rate models. I'd love 240hz on the computer.

If they claim .1 microsecond refresh then why shouldn't they be able to make a 120Hz model? What about OLED requires more image processing or whatever else causes input lag?

I think he's referring less to the refresh rate of the panel, and more to the difference between 120 hz monitors, and 120 hz televisions.

Monitors take in 120 hz as a source, and tvs use post processing to double up on frames.

$10,000? You might want to add a zero to that. Large OLED TV's and computer monitors are still years away from becoming affordable IMO.

I remain hopeful since amoled has been around in phones for a while now. There was that 9" Sony...(Google search) oh crap. YOU! can buy a Sony OLED monitor today http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-monitors/cat-oledmonitors/

That is a Video monitor. Essentially a production level TV.

For them to actually market a computer monitor is a completely different thing.

Nothing abuses displays like a desktop computer monitor with long term stationary patterns that lead to burn in.

Your estimate is extremely low.

There's no market for even a $10,000 TV these days. If these go for sale at all, I would expect them to be priced perhaps just above the Sharp Elites. No one is buying $10,000 TV's anymore.

I'm wondering how they plan to make these sets last as long as traditional LCD's. Seeing how OLED is an organic the panel will degrade and essentially decompose over a relatively short amount of time. They've been okay to use them in phones because they usually have a 2-3 year turn over rate which is about as long as these SAMOLED+ panels are rated to last. Unlike phones obviously people will want them longer than 2-3 years.

I'm wondering how they plan to make these sets last as long as traditional LCD's. Seeing how OLED is an organic the panel will degrade and essentially decompose over a relatively short amount of time. They've been okay to use them in phones because they usually have a 2-3 year turn over rate which is about as long as these SAMOLED+ panels are rated to last. Unlike phones obviously people will want them longer than 2-3 years.
F-it, they need to put to market just to put it to market. The tech is good enough at this point, and there's always rich douchebags that will buy something just because its the most expensive.

Economies of scale kick in, prices get lower, more people consume, R&D continues, new generation OLED panels come out, and the cycle continues until we're all running with OLED panels and posting on forums about the upcoming NO3+Eu1 Reaction Display (or NERD for short) due out next year :D

His name is Oled. This is clearly something he's excited about, and he seemed to agree with you.

OLED is still subject to "sample and hold" blurring typical of LCDs, so even with super-fast response time, it won't seem as good at displaying motion as a CRT because there is not inter-frame black or visible refresh period. I have an AMOLED phone that still blurs.

Oled the user has nothing to do with OLED the technology.

OLED is still subject to "sample and hold" blurring typical of LCDs, so even with super-fast response time, it won't seem as good at displaying motion as a CRT because there is not inter-frame black or visible refresh period. I have an AMOLED phone that still blurs.

Good news, we'll expect LCD like refresh rates ASAP.

I'm just guessing he chose the name Oled due to his love of the technology. I was, and kind of still am, a fan of the car ;) Maybe he's from Belarus and it's a common Belerusian name?

I also agree with steal. Somebody might pay for something so new that it is obviously not an LCD, but OLED isn't different enough. The average person would see an OLED TV and go, "Boy that's a thin TV. Is it one of them LED TV's?"

Is the blurring/ghosting with LCDs due to this sample-hold or due to LCDs being an electromechanical technology? Everything I have read so far suggests that the problem with LCDs is with the actual LCD matrix crystals and the difficulties in moving them quickly enough without overshoot.

Are there any real reviews out there of for example LG's 15" OLED TV or Sony's OLED broadcast monitors with input lag & ghosting comparisons?

Are there any real reviews out there of for example LG's 15" OLED TV or Sony's OLED broadcast monitors with input lag & ghosting comparisons?

LG reviews:
http://www.avforums.com/review/LG-15-inch-OLED-TV-15EL9500-Review.html
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1289487180

Input lag seems to be 15 ms.

FlatpanelsHD about response time:
I’m not saying that OLED is perfect in terms of response time but it’s pretty close. By comparing it to both plasma and LCD I saw that blurring on fast motion is almost nonexistent on OLED. I’m saying "almost" because I did see some blurring on fast motion but actually this is an issue with the frame rate of the input signal, and not really the OLED technology.

LG reviews:
http://www.avforums.com/review/LG-15-inch-OLED-TV-15EL9500-Review.html
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1289487180

Input lag seems to be 15 ms.

FlatpanelsHD about response time:
I’m not saying that OLED is perfect in terms of response time but it’s pretty close. By comparing it to both plasma and LCD I saw that blurring on fast motion is almost nonexistent on OLED. I’m saying "almost" because I did see some blurring on fast motion but actually this is an issue with the frame rate of the input signal, and not really the OLED technology.

Very impressive, I'd say... if the 2009-era OLED technology as used in the LG EL9500 can wow reviewers this much, I can't wait to see what these new 55" OLED TVs can do, since they use newer OLED tech.

Now I just want my OLED monitors :p

lol what is with the prices thrown around in here. Should be out Q2, probably around $8k, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little less.

That's a solved problem.

Commion on TVs, some use "Back frame insertion", others manipulate the backlight "scanning backlight" or "backlight blinking". Some BenQ displays and the NEC 24WMGX3 has it as well, NEC calls it MP-mode in the NEC, different makers call it different names. Problem with the Benq and the NEC is they use frame insertion, which reduces contrast by quite a bit (and 60Hz == filcker).

Last edited:
That's a solved problem.

Commion on TVs, some use "Back frame insertion", others manipulate the backlight "scanning backlight" or "backlight blinking". Some BenQ displays and the NEC 24WMGX3 has it as well, NEC calls it MP-mode in the NEC, different makers call it different names. Problem with the Benq and the NEC is they use frame insertion, which reduces contrast by quite a bit (and 60Hz == filcker).

I had the BenQ FP241VW with that technology and it definitely caused flicker, but it did work. Nowadays on TVs it's known as a scanning back-light and it's only on TVs with LED.

I had the BenQ FP241VW with that technology and it definitely caused flicker, but it did work. Nowadays on TVs it's known as a scanning back-light and it's only on TVs with LED.

Probably on LED since CCFL are too slow. With the speed of OLED, don't you think black frame insertion should work pretty well? I imagine they could shape the fading any way they want with sub-μs response times.

Is the blurring/ghosting with LCDs due to this sample-hold or due to LCDs being an electromechanical technology? Everything I have read so far suggests that the problem with LCDs is with the actual LCD matrix crystals and the difficulties in moving them quickly enough without overshoot.

I owned the LG 15 Oled tv, played PS3 on it exclusively. There was no noticable input lag but blurring was still an issue. It wasnt any better then my Sony HX909 tv with motion flow off. Also because of the very high contrast ratio the blur was even more obvious.

Blur doesnt bother THAT much considering I am now using a Samsung f2380mx monitor :p

Oled tvs have a ways to go, image retention/ burn in is def an issue on the Oled tv, the blues age much quicker then the other colors.

I would say if your waiting for OLED... stop. Go get a nice Panasonic or Samsung plasma.

I was NOT blown away with the LG oled tv.

Also, the LG Oled tv was 1366x768, if running a pc to it, I could get 120hz native out of the panel and that helped with the blurring considerably!! So if they can get OLED tvs at 1080p with 120hz native hdmi or dvi input then we might see somthing special.

With that high response time the sample-hold blur should be an issue only when input FPS is low. So for 24fps blurays the blur isnt going anywhere unless you use heavy motion interpolation. Consoles with 30fps locked wont fare much better.

Actual 120hz input (interpolated too) should be pretty much blur free, atleast to the point that it shouldnt matter a damn. Since the LG Oled-TV is capable of real 120hz input, I am having very high hopes of these new big TVs. :D

Regarding RGBW-by-white (here-on known as RGBW) vs RGB emitter designs as per SMD vs LGD, I'm interested in how these two methods compare in terms of lifetime, but I'm having trouble trusting anything that I've read on the internet.

In the PS Vita thread, quantum112 felt that RGBW was 'fake' for its use of colour filters. RGBW to my knowledge was developed by Kodak, which also employed the inventor of the OLED, Ching W. Tang. LG Display later bought all OLED assets from Kodak which goes some way in explaining their preference for the method in this new demo. It is claimed that RGBW eliminates differential aging - but this is conditional to the device displaying the white emitter's native white point. Any attempt at correction of the white point would involve activation of the colour filtered subpixels thereby potentially causing uneven wear when displaying white.

According to oled-display.net, LGD's model has a 'lifetime' of 100,000 hours. Surely at LT50 100K hours, lifetime and stability wouldn't be a concern. Next, I read an article on Dodgytimes where sources claim "that if LG continues to build OLED TVs using the white-light OLED technology it bought from Eastman Kodak previously, the power consumption and image quality of its OLED TVs will still be a major concern.". You can see how I am stuck for answers.

Lifetime estimates are worthless unless they contain the following:

1. The percentage of luminance degradation
  2. The initial luminance
  3. The test temperature, and
  4. The CIE co-ordinates of the emitter
RGB emitter is regarded as the most efficient as I can tell, and its efficiency is based on the emitters themselves. A deep blue emitter is required for video, but they are inefficient. A light blue subpixel with a good lifetime could be added and used for white point and the deep blue emitter can be reserved for when required by video. This would be infrequent as most images are not highly saturated. RGBW's efficiency is dependent on the efficiency of the white emitter and the spectral widths of the colour filters, resulting in the location of the primary colours.

Last edited:
I won't be buying into OLED. They need to be pushing to miniaturize and use conventional LEDs to make displays. Why do people still think images have to flicker to look good? This anti-peak-and-hold mentality because LCDs suck at it is just that...mental. The world doesn't flicker in front of us. Maybe you motion sick people should start taking some Vomicillin if you can't handle a real-looking image.

Last edited:
WOLED is probably a better designation for what you mean.

RGBW is a pentile arrangement used more commonly in LCDs for increased efficiency.

IMO WOLED is better than the traditional colored OLEDs because it solves the issues with different color chemistry, burning out at different rates.

I have seen a Samsung Galaxy Phone with OLED screen burn in on youtube.

He cycled all the colors and it was clear the burn in was only on the blue elements. So Samsung still has problem with Blue lifetime.

A consistent and longer life white OLED with color filters (mature tech) almost certainly means more consistent wear and better lifetime.

Last edited:
Samsung Galaxy is a 2009 model...

It was actually a Galaxy S, in that the Video. If you Google you will see plenty are reporting the same issues with Galaxy S2 after only a couple of months use, so it has not improved.

Screen burn in is the Achilles heel of OLED, for the foreseeable future.

At least with WOLED, you remove color issues from the equation and improve the overall burn in behavior by not having a very weak link from Blue OLEDs.

A WOLED TV used carefully will likely deliver years of service.

Dream on for the harsh usage pattern that is typical desktop monitors that have the same menus/buttons/icons in the same place 3000+ hours/year.

Back