LG's 2016 OLED series (E6,B6,G6,C6)

Shame input lag is so bad on the B model. The price is more reasonable vs. the other two. If you don't want a curved screen or bad input lag you're stuck paying a buttload for the flagship model.

Several people on avsforum have been in touch with LG and it seems that the B6 will be getting HDR game mode this month. Some have confirmed with LG VIP support that rollout begins today, so hopefully that will take care of the lag in HDR games.

What about outside of HDR game mode? If I run a game like Battlefield 4 in 4:4:4 pc mode then what is the input lag? 50+ ms?

Yah but on the B model? I thought it was only the other two that got the improvement.

EDIT: Nope, out of HDR mode it is still almost 60ms.

Last edited:
Hopefully. But you're also waiting for the 2017 models to drop in price somewhere reasonable. You pay a premium when you buy right when they come out. And by then you will have people saying "wait for 2018 models because they will have blah blah blah." And so on.

Hopefully. But you're also waiting for the 2017 models to drop in price somewhere reasonable. You pay a premium when you buy right when they come out. And by then you will have people saying "wait for 2018 models because they will have blah blah blah." And so on.

True but if 2017 is like 2016 then you'll be able to find the new models for around the same price as the old ones by the middle of the year. I think around the middle of this year you were able to find a 2016 OLED for around $2500 which was the low price of last year's 2015 models.

What about outside of HDR game mode? If I run a game like Battlefield 4 in 4:4:4 pc mode then what is the input lag? 50+ ms?

Yah but on the B model? I thought it was only the other two that got the improvement.

EDIT: Nope, out of HDR mode it is still almost 60ms.

Are you talking specifically the B model? The C and E model are 34ms at 4K@60Hz 4:4:4. The B model has last years chipset, I would avoid that IMO.

Sony is rumored to release their LG-panel OLEDs starting at $2k for the 55". If true, that is crazy.

?

There are at least 3 vendors with pricing around that range. And they all get good reviews when I click shopping after googling the part #.

If there was a 43-50" model available in the 1200$ price range with < 35ms input lag I'd probably bite right now. Gonna be a while if ever.

?

There are at least 3 vendors with pricing around that range. And they all get good reviews when I click shopping after googling the part #.

If it's not bait and switch then they will upsell you with insurance and white glove delivery etc. etc., and you cannot return the TV to them for anything other than shipping damage, meaning you have to notice the defect upon delivery and refuse delivery.

The only reason they can under sell every other retailer is because they are actually resellers. I.e. they do not have deals with LG or other TV manufacturers, since in order to sign those deals the companies make you maintain a minimum price set by them. That's why Amazon, Best Buy, etc. all seem to have the same prices most of the time, and that's why no one usually price matches these vendors.

There are threads on AVS Forums where people successfully get their TV's from EastCoast TV's, I suppose it just depends on your risk/stress tolerance. I'm more of a low effort low stress shopper, i.e. I'll pay more for convenience and peace of mind.

Remember, if the vendor is not on LG's authorized re-seller list, you will have no warranty. Just stick with Bestbuy, Amazon, Crutchfield etc..

I've owned my 55C6 for a few weeks now and want to report that image retention is a non-issue. I use it solely as a PC monitor, playing games with static UI elements for 5+ hour sessions and I don't see even a hint of retention.

Image retention was a fear going in to this purchase; I hope this helps others on the fence.

Finally got my B6 set up and I'm happy to say that input lag is a non-issue. I'm coming from a Panasonic plasma. Not sure what the input lag on those is, but I'm not feeling any difference on my B6. I was actually surprised at how quickly the "magic remote" responded. Whipping the cursor back and forth is pretty damn instant. I can't believe how much I stressed myself out over nothing.

Anyone know what the best content to show off this set is? I'm thinking Life of Pi in HDR would look spectacular, but I don't have a 4k DVD player. Anything good on Netflix?

Get a 4k player or a VUDU account. Top rated picture quality 4k Blu-rays are Revnant, Lucy, The Shallows, and Pacific Rim. Those 4 are nothing but stunning to say the least. If you dont have a 4k player, VUDU has excellent streaming 4k dolby vision for these movies. But even so, the difference between what is streamed and the actual discs is still pretty significant as far as bitrate etc goes.

I'm getting this whenever I try to update an application. Worked fine the first night that I set up the TV. Since then I updated the firmware and now I constantly get this. I tried resetting my router, I dropped the WIFI connection from the TV and set it up again, and of course turned the TV off and back on. Time and time zone is set correctly. I also tried turning off "automatic time". Nothing seems to fix it. :(

QBlZ9hr.jpg

Either it fixed itself or setting the quick boot option to off fixed it (maybe it needed a full power cycle rather than standby).

Does the YouTube app not support HDR? I was hoping to watch this in HDR but it seems like the TV isn't detecting that it's HDR:

Still looks absolutely incredible.

Either it fixed itself or setting the quick boot option to off fixed it (maybe it needed a full power cycle rather than standby).

Does the YouTube app not support HDR? I was hoping to watch this in HDR but it seems like the TV isn't detecting that it's HDR:

Comments say that Youtube HDR is only supported with a Chromecast Ultra at this point. Maybe we need to wait for firmware updates for TV support.

Holy shit that video looks amazing in 4K.

Welp, I returned my B6. One of the benefits of OLED is no backlight, therefore perfect uniformity, right? Nope! My screen had 3 thick yellow bands. One dead center, one on the left, and one on the right. Seems that the yellow banding is extremely common based on looking through people's 100% white slides on av/avsforums. Hell, there's a whole thread dedicated to banding on the E6 alone. Unbelievable. Absolutely killed me to return it, because 90% of the time you wouldn't even know it's there. But once there's a panning shot on a white background (e.g. hockey, snowboarding), it's a sea of yellow. Absolutely unacceptable for a $3000 TV.

And now I'm reluctant to buy any OLED. I hear the 55s are generally more uniform, but it would be extremely difficult for me to downsize to a 55 after experiencing the magic of a 65.

I think I'll wait to see what the 2017 models are like. Sony is releasing their OLEDs this year as well, but they are using LG panels, so I think banding will still be an issue unless they sort out their manufacturing process.

Until then, I'm stuck with my tiny 42" plasma.
I'd buy a Samsung SUHD, but I hear there's a huge lottery with those as well.

Sigghhh. Buying a new display should be exciting. For me it's one of the most stressful things ever.

Won't downsize to 55" even though its picture quality blows the 65" away.....and settles for an ancient 42" plasma????

Get yourself a 55" C6, they can be found for half what you paid on that B6

Some report banding is improved after a few compensation cycles, which you can also trigger manually.

I have a yellow band on my 65" E6 that is only visible when browsing white Internet pages, so I kept mine. I can't really tell if auto comp cycles made it better because I see it so infrequently. I don't watch hockey, fortunately.

I haven't had a TV in the house for a year. I was really hoping they'd have all of this stuff worked out by now.

Well they have, for professional panels. Like Sony's $26k 25" OLED panel for people in the film business. Consumer prices will simply never justify perfect panels. That goes for LCD too.

Uniformity is more difficult to get right the bigger the screen size. Lots of 65" LCDs have been plagued with DSE/banding issues for as long as I can remember, much better on 55" though.

Odd Request however can someone run a custom resolution of 3840 x 1620 and get measurements for height/width & diagonally for the 55" variant of the C6? Thinking of getting the set however running games in a cinematic aspect ratio. Much appreciated!

Odd Request however can someone run a custom resolution of 3840 x 1620 and get measurements for height/width & diagonally or the 55" variant of the C6? Thinking of getting the set however running games in a cinematic aspect ratio. Much appreciated!
"Cinematic" :rolleyes:

Anyway... The TV including the bezel is a rectangle 48.2" x 28.1". The bezel is 1.1 cm (0.433"), so the viewable screen is a rectangle about 47.3" x 27.2". You can estimate it with these figures. Since 1620 is 75% of 2160 we can estimate the height of the picture would be about 20.4". Using some trigonometry, the diagonal on the same picture would be 51.5".

So a 3840x1620 pixel image on a 3840x2160 screen that is 54.6" diagonally would equate to an image 47.3" x 20.4" that is 51.5" diagonally.

What the hell happened to the prices on these TVs? It's the end of the model year and they *increased* by $1000?? $4000 for a B6!!!

What the hell happened to the prices on these TVs? It's the end of the model year and they *increased* by $1000?? $4000 for a B6!!!

They were reduced for quite some time especially around the Black Friday holiday. Most just went back up probably trying to maximize $$$ before the CES announcement for the non-informed out there ;P

So LG is only going to provide Sony with 100k OLED's per year

http://www.oled-info.com/etnews-lgd-agreed-supply-100000-oled-tv-panels-sony-each-year

Doesn't that seem like a small number, especially to split between North America, Europe, and Asia? 120hz OLED monitors seem even farther away now

that is pretty small... I believe the sell through for LG's own OLEDs was around a million in 2016?

Doesn't give much hope for that rumored $2K price tag on the 55" Sony OLED, but I didn't really believe it anyway.

Are you looking at Crutchfield or something? Because I still see these going for less than $2k at most places. The C6 is back up to $2.5k, which is the MSRP from LG.

Prices raise back to "normal" shortly before a sale so that the vendor can claim you're getting a great deal (when in fact it's just the regular deal, only now with an even better rebate you'll receive in just 3-6 months...)

Back