LG's 2016 OLED series (E6,B6,G6,C6)

https://slickdeals.net/f/9328615-lg...for-1699-99?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1

See the attachment. Prices valid till the 4th.

$1700 for the 55" B6/C6, $2500 for the 65" B6.

But you can also get a quote from Cleveland Plasma for the TVs and get the same price (or maybe lower), no tax and free shipping.

Wow, thanks! You just saved me at least $100. Maybe I should splurge for the 65" which would pretty much take up the whole wall in my tiny apartment. :D

Is it better to order from Cleveland Plasma? With Microcenter I could just drive it back if I decide to return it. Not sure how much of a hassle returning to Cleveland Plasma would be...

I hear they're a great place to order from but yes, returns would be a hassle no matter what. I have no experience with that or them so I couldn't say.

The tax on the MC deal might be worth the hassle-free experience if you do decide on returning it.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/lg-hdr-game-201612014385.htm

LG C6, E6, and G6 firmware has been released that fixes the input lag in HDR. Down from 50ms+ to 34ms+ :drool:. This makes the LG OLED's the best HDR TV for gaming.

Input lag in HDR has been reduced to 34ms in HDR with 4:4:4 chroma! This is by far the best result on the market as the 8000 series does 20ms only at 4:2:2 chroma. When HDR+ is enabled on those sets however (true HDR) the Samsung skyrockets far beyond the OLED.

No word yet on the B6 getting this update, probably unlikely due to the different SOC used.

Now let them fix (enable toggle) the ABL and I will replace my Yamakasi with the C6.

Nice. Hope the 2017 "B" model can achieve this, or even better, and I'll definitely be getting one.

I've seen a couple of posts that claim it improves input lag.

1) The reddit post above.

2) The following comment: "Yup, 4.30.65. Fixed both connection and input lag issues for me. LG rules."
From: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/...-tv-should-finally-play-nice-with-the-ps4-pro

Of course, they could just be experiencing placebo effect.

The update that fixes input lag on the c6, e6 and g6 does it by adding a game mode to HDR. This does not exist on the B6 yet, they are experiencing placebo.

34ms is a improvement but hardly anything to brag about IMO. Now if they had gotten it down to below 20ms then that would be something. Just my own opinion here.

34ms is a improvement but hardly anything to brag about IMO. Now if they had gotten it down to below 20ms then that would be something. Just my own opinion here.

Im with you on that. I owned a monitor with 35ms input lag and it was just awful for gaming on top of the already awful 60hz. If they can bring it down under 20ms with next years models I may just get one for gaming and live with the low refresh rate.

Im with you on that. I owned a monitor with 35ms input lag and it was just awful for gaming on top of the already awful 60hz. If they can bring it down under 20ms with next years models I may just get one for gaming and live with the low refresh rate.

I do not understood your point: isn't OLED inherently better than IPS/VA/TN at the same refresh rate thanks to <<0,1ms pixel response times?

Higher refresh rates without a strobing backlight are not that better than OLED gaming-wise, are they?

While 2 frames of ~60 Hz input lag could be better, it's still the fastest of any 4K 4:4:4 mode TV. 2 frames is also a LOT less noticeable than 3 frames of lag. I cannot play games on 3+ frames of 60 Hz input lag, but 2 is tolerable. The amazing immersion and picture quality of OLED certainly makes 2 frames tolerable!

As for OLED's amazing pixel response times, the motion clarity to me is around an LCD at ~70 Hz. OLED's have no pixel transition smear, it's all eye tracking motion blur. LCD's have eye tracking motion blur and pixel transition smear working together to produce an overall poor motion clarity.

I do not understood your point: isn't OLED inherently better than IPS/VA/TN at the same refresh rate thanks to <<0,1ms pixel response times?

Higher refresh rates without a strobing backlight are not that better than OLED gaming-wise, are they?

You're talking about reponse times. I was talking about the input lag being a bit too high. The two are not the same thing. If we're talking response times yes OLED is way better.

While 2 frames of ~60 Hz input lag could be better, it's still the fastest of any 4K 4:4:4 mode TV. 2 frames is also a LOT less noticeable than 3 frames of lag. I cannot play games on 3+ frames of 60 Hz input lag, but 2 is tolerable. The amazing immersion and picture quality of OLED certainly makes 2 frames tolerable!

As for OLED's amazing pixel response times, the motion clarity to me is around an LCD at ~70 Hz. OLED's have no pixel transition smear, it's all eye tracking motion blur. LCD's have eye tracking motion blur and pixel transition smear working together to produce an overall poor motion clarity.

Thank you for the feedback.

Sounds like OLED has a lot to improve: plasmas had better motion clarity and contrast than current high refresh rate monitors, which are, by your report, still better than OLED TVs.

Thank you for the feedback.

Sounds like OLED has a lot to improve: plasmas had better motion clarity and contrast than current high refresh rate monitors, which are, by your report, still better than OLED TVs.

You and he are comparing apples to oranges. OLED is the best display type you can get at the moment, picture quality-wise.

New update to 2016 OLEDS (c series and up) puts the total lag for 4K + 4:4:4 + 60hz + HDR around 34ms which is about comparable to the fastest TV's currently on market. In terms of pure picture quality, the OLEDs blow away almost everything except maybe the super high end LCDs (cost same if not more) and are still inferior to OLEDS.

You and he are comparing apples to oranges. OLED is the best display type you can get at the moment, picture quality-wise.

i was NOT talking about picture quality, i was talking about motion clarity peck order:

plasmas> strobing backlight LCDs> OLEDs>common LCDs

i was NOT talking about picture quality, i was talking about motion clarity peck order:

Dafuq?

Why not throw CRT and DLP in there while you're at it?

I don't know why everybody raves about Plasma motion clarity....I had several plasmas over the years and they were no where near the clarity of a good CRT like the FW900.

Also, These LG OLEDs contrast, colors & black levels blow plasma out of the water. And lets not forget about the superior sharp 4k picture quality versus the lowly 1080p plasma

The LG OLEDs are basically still beta products with their floating blacks and hideous banding as you get closer to black. Anyone who paid over $1.5K for one is simply insane or didn't do their research.

The LG OLEDs are basically still beta products with their floating blacks and hideous banding as you get closer to black. Anyone who paid over $1.5K for one is simply insane or didn't do their research.

Can you show us on the Doll where OLED triggered you???
JjpkNyL.jpg

2014 is missing you.

Or you know, its still the top of the line TV on the market by a huge stretch

I had my 65E6 calibrated by ChadB. None of the issues Megalith said are valid on a 2016. The only issue that is relevant on these 2016's is color accuracy. The CMS leaves a lot to be desired but is not the fault of the panel but the software controlling it. Basically its a top of the line panel with budget software (LG) powering it. DeltaE avg was able to be brought down to 1.77 which is considered good but certainly not great. If somebody else such as Sony or Panasonic would use their software on this panel, it would be godly. Just needs a finer level of control of the settings. I can share my calibration reports if anyone cares as well.

Are you really supposed to lay this TV face down to install the stand? It kind of makes me cringe to put any kind of pressure on the screen, but I guess it's not as fragile as I think?

Are you really supposed to lay this TV face down to install the stand? It kind of makes me cringe to put any kind of pressure on the screen, but I guess it's not as fragile as I think?
If it was, it would've shattered in shipping. Laying it face down is fine, just make sure to lay it on a soft nonscratch surface like a bath towel or blanket.

If it was, it would've shattered in shipping. Laying it face down is fine, just make sure to lay it on a soft nonscratch surface like a bath towel or blanket.

Thanks. The instructions have you insert some of the foam pieces into the box, then lay the TV down with some of the foam still attached onto the box. So I'll just go with that.

That's great as well. Much better instructions than any panel I've dealt with, lol (they usually don't specify what to lay it down on)

But I'm paranoid about scratches in case of dirt or something being on the surface, so I would've put a towel on the box regardless if it were me.

Last edited:
But I'm paranoid about scratches in case of dirt or something being on the surface, so I would've put a towel on the box regardless if it were me.

The TV still has the cover on it at the point that they have you lay it down.

btw... Do these TVs have glass or plastic screens?
They are so thin that it would be hard to believe that it's glass.

Instructions???? Who reads instructions????

I put mine backside flat on the couch with pillows underneath both curve sections for reinforcement, slid the bottom 1/3 of the display off the couch and installed the stand like I was changing its Oil lol

How do you avoid image retention with these things if you are using them as a desktop display with a static wallpaper? Icons on the desktop?

When is PC mode supposed to be used? Is that only when you use it as a computer monitor, or should you use that for console gaming as well?

If you want 4:4:4. Lag is the same on console and PC when set to "game mode", as far as I can tell 4:4:4 is the only difference. Also it locks you out of some processing options like noise reduction, regardless of what picture mode you use. (Both input icon and picture mode are variables that determine lag and PQ options). With the "console" input these options remain available on all PQ modes. Noise reduction is useful if you stream media like HBO in your Xbox (HBO is no on WebOS).

Both have less processing and color configuring options than the other normal picture modes. But you still have a lot of options to change the picture settings.

I personally leave game input for xb1s and ps4, while pc input for PC obviously.

Question for anyone that's been running HDR game mode, do you turn on dynamic contrast? Its auto off for HDR GAME mode but the picture looks noticeably better with it on medium. Don't know how it effects lag.

Back