LG's 2016 OLED series (E6,B6,G6,C6)

I have a b6 and its amzzing for gaming you wont regret it. It will make you mad at the source if its bad
Console or PC? Gamepad with analogue joystick tends to mask some input lag as it is a slower input device compared to a mouse.

Input lag aith most recent firmware as of 2016/october/07:
B6: 43-44ms in 1080p and 4K
cycles from 35ms through 54ms over couple of minutes with HDR enabled

C6 and E6: 34ms in 1080p and 4K
67ms with HDR enabled

Tested by 'Rtings' and viewable on youtube, search for "OLED TVs Input Lag in 4k HDR (B6, C6, E6)"
(Cannot post link due to noob status)

Last edited:
Reactions: xbt
like this
Does the 3D capability also allow you to run 1080p 120hz from a PC? If so, that's definitely worth something
Nope. LG showcased a prototype OLED with HFR this year. I think 1080p 120hz will actually happen next year. Giving us the latest Displayport would be even better, of course. Can't wait!

Have you tried deleting 1440p with CRU? If it disappears completely after restart, you may have to add it back with a 60hz refresh rate. But my guess is that if you delete it completely in the EDID, Nvidia will still list it as a GPU scaled resolution.

Ok months later problem solved!
I found this fix on a witcher 3 thread
To create a custom resolution 1440@60hz on nvidia control panel you have to set your default resolution to 1080p first other wise the test will fail
I can now finally game at 1440p at 60fps on my B6
Big thanks to everyone that replied to my posts! :)

Over at AVS, a few posters are claiming LG techs told them a FW update is coming to lower HDR input lag. Fantastic news if true... this was really the only big problem with these sets, other than price.

If I connect the B6 to my PC what do I select with 8bit/10bit videos? Is YCBCR 4:4:4 always good or only for 10bit? If its 8bit then YCBCR 4:2:2? Or what is the best option?

Over at AVS, a few posters are claiming LG techs told them a FW update is coming to lower HDR input lag. Fantastic news if true... this was really the only big problem with these sets, other than price.

I really hope this is true and comes fairly soon. Gaming in HDR with the Xbox One S is great on my C6 but the extra input lag when compared to Game mode is very noticeable and makes aiming harder than it should be in Gears 4.

RGB full, 10-bit if you can. YCBCR 4:4:4 is not necessary for 4:4:4, you get full chroma by selecting the PC input and PC picture mode. YCBCR 4:4:4 does basically the same thing as RGB full. This article explains it in detail.

RGB full ok then. But why pc picture mode? I think I want to use ISF dark for everything (Mediaplayer, SAT-TV and PC)?! So what if I use ISF Dark for pc streaming is RGB Full 10bit good enough then?

And lets say I use RGB full and I want to watch a 10bit movie then I have to also activate the wide color range stuff on the OLED right? But when I want to watch 8bit stuff I gotta deactivate that wide color stuff but the RGB full 10bit is still ok and doesnt matter right? Dont want the colors to be wrong...

Last edited:
Is there anyone with a panel that has absolutely no banding or other picture anomalies at 5% gray and under?

Took the plunge last week and went with the C series 55". Normally not a fan of a curved screen but given its 55" sitting on my desk a few feet in front of me it made sense. Love it so far though it does take some getting used to. Found out sitting a bit back in my chair was best to really absorb the entire screen while gaming.

I've used all sorts of setups in the past from triple 32" 1440P BenQ VA panels to triple 27" Asus G-Sync IPS panels but with Nvidia seemingly moving away from surround gaming and triple SLI I had recently went to a single Dell 43" 4K monitor but was unsatisfied with the quality.

Input lag doesn't bother me but I haven't tried much so far with HDR enabled on my Xbox One S. mostly just PC games so far and AFAIK there isn't any HDR enabled PC games. GoW 4 looks really nice on my SLI Pascal Titans

Is there anyone with a panel that has absolutely no banding or other picture anomalies at 5% gray and under?

I've been following the LG threads over at AVS forums pretty steadily and it seems everyone has *some* banding to some degree on low% slides. So I wouldn't bet on getting a perfect panel or even playing the lottery to get one, unless you just really get a shitty one. Even the higher end G series are reporting some banding. It is a big improvement over last year's models though, according to people over there who have both. Also, almost everyone says it improves after 100-200 hours of use and a few "compensation" cycles which is the TV's panel cleaning procedure for IR, which happens automatically.

I personally had a single visible band when browsing white web pages which has gotten better to the point where now I no longer notice it.

Let me ask again :) If I watch a 8bit Bluray via PC what do I do? I select RGB full 8bit and deactivate the wide color gamut on my TV? Or can I activate 10bit on the PC nevertheless? Wide color gamut on the TV should only be enabled with 10bit stuff right?

Picked one of these up this morning! Came with a Xbox One S 1TB :) Also pre-ordered a PS4 Pro.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electroni...=1477238579&sr=1-5-catcorr&keywords=oled55c6p

Display will be replacing a Westinghouse 55" 1080P TV....Just a small upgrade :D

So I got Amazon to price match this with Best Buy (Currently on Sale for $1,999.99).

I originally paid $2,190.80 for the LG OLED 55 C6P which came with a Xbox One S 1TB

Amazon refunded me $232.13, if I subtract the cost of the Xbox One S ($349.99), I ended up getting the C6 for $1608.68

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the 55" C6 and I love it. The PQ can't be matched by any LED. I'll be picking up a 65" of the 2017 OLEDs for the living room and putting the C6 into the bedroom. Once you get used to an OLED TV its difficult to accept anything less. :ROFLMAO:

I'm deciding between a Sony Z9D and the LG B6/E6. I play a lot of video games and based on what I've read, it seems the E6 has a better input lag rating than the B6. Also brighter. Problem is I don't need 3D and I already have a sound system, which appear to be the two main features you pay an extra $1,000 for with the E6 model. Let me know what you avid tech enthusiasts think!
Never buy TVs in late year because new ones are right around the corner. Next year OLEDs will take a larger leap with HFR and other gradual improvements. Maybe even with HDMI 2.1 as well that works with the new HDR-10 update (all current HDR displays are literally obsolete lol).

2017 OLED's probably arrive around the end of Q1, so like March or April, and no one is totally sure what they'll have. If HDR input lag is important, and since you play games I assume it might be, and you want OLED you might want to wait, because none of this year's line has good HDR input lag, and the supposed firmware update that was going to fix that is now not happening (or at least, highly unlikely).

But you can be sure they will be expensive at first, meaning you have to wait longer for the price to drop somewhere reasonable, so realistically waiting for 2017 models at a not ridiculous price means waiting 6...7...8 months maybe from now.

If you want it now buy it now. If HDR input lag is not an issue for you the E6 is probably the way to go as it has lower lag in everything but HDR mode than the B. If HDR input lag is important and you don't want to wait half a year for something maybe consider another set. (And I say that as an E6 owner).

Never buy TVs in late year because new ones are right around the corner. Next year OLEDs will take a larger leap with HFR and other gradual improvements. Maybe even with HDMI 2.1 as well that works with the new HDR-10 update (all current HDR displays are literally obsolete lol).

They'll also likely be selling at near double the price the current 2016 OLEDs are going for. You can get the 55" versions for $1500-$2000k and 65" versions for ~$2500 pretty frequently now. The 2017 OLEDs will likely return at the original MSRP price of ~$3000 for the 55" and ~$5000 for the 65".

^^yep, exactly. Like all tech, you can play the waiting game forever. Prices right now seem pretty good for OLED's compared to last year, when there was not a second sustained price drop this early. Thanks Sony!

for you guys using the 55" one for a gaming monitor.. do you play your games at 1440p? or 4k?

If you are playing at 1440p how do the games look on a TV that size?

I feel like I dont want to have to keep paying for the GPUs it would take to keep supporting 4k

for you guys using the 55" one for a gaming monitor.. do you play your games at 1440p? or 4k?

If you are playing at 1440p how do the games look on a TV that size?

I feel like I dont want to have to keep paying for the GPUs it would take to keep supporting 4k
Why the hell would you buy a 4K TV and then just play 1440P on it? Just get a 1440P monitor as they are cheaper (especially if you get a OLED 4K).

I play with a single highest model GPU and OLED TV now. So Every year I have a $1300 GPU bill and a $3-4K OLED bill. Granted, some of that is offset by selling the old stuff. Remember, the 2016 55" OLED actually released at $4K, not $3K. It took a couple of months to come off $4K. Hopefully the 2017 55" sets will start at $3K with production costs decreasing.

I play with a single highest model GPU and OLED TV now. So Every year I have a $1300 GPU bill and a $3-4K OLED bill. Granted, some of that is offset by selling the old stuff. Remember, the 2016 55" OLED actually released at $4K, not $3K. It took a couple of months to come off $4K. Hopefully the 2017 55" sets will start at $3K with production costs decreasing.

You'd hope so, but if LG continues to be the only manufacturer of OLED panels then there isn't much incentive to cut the price down too much. I think they'll release at the same MSRP and justify it by the "advancements" in the new sets. At best they may come in at $500 less than less year's models MSRP.

Does anyone know if the current $1799 price tag on the B6/C6 models is permanent? Or is it a limited time holiday sale?

Do you think they'll drop much further than this within the next year or so? Just trying to figure out if it's a good time to buy.

I doubt they drop much more if at all until the 2017 models come out.

Hi, what about Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to control brightness on LG oled?
Samsung have bad 240Hz flicker on most oled pannels for mobile phones?

Hi, what about Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to control brightness on LG oled?
Samsung have bad 240Hz flicker on most oled pannels for mobile phones?
There is no backlight on these because OLED have pixels that are individually lit.

What he is referring to is that Samsung actually uses PWM at 240 Hz to prevent burn in on their OLED's. It's the main reason why I have not bought an OLED laptop yet. OLED Laptops all use Samsung OLED's and I hate PWM.

LG OLED's do not use PWM.

Wasn't planning to get an OLED screen till next year but since my 2010 Panasonic plasma decided to have more and more issues, I decided to take the plunge with this year's black friday. Got the 65 inch B6 :)

nDj4N9I.jpg

Is there any reason not to get the C6 over the B6?

I'd prefer flat but it seems stupid not to get a TV with more features for the same price.

With the C6 you get 3D in addition to better internals (lower input lag). It still blows my mind how they can sell it for the same price as the crippled B6.

Is the 10ms difference on the B6 negligible?

I think the curve for a computer monitor is great IMO. I also have my C6 on a swing arm to swing close in front of my couch to watch 4K Blu-rays and it's superb all around.

Is there any reason not to get the C6 over the B6?

I'd prefer flat but it seems stupid not to get a TV with more features for the same price.

With the C6 you get 3D in addition to better internals (lower input lag). It still blows my mind how they can sell it for the same price as the crippled B6.

Is the 10ms difference on the B6 negligible?

I don't use 3D nor do I use this to play games on so the input lag doesn't matter. I just really wanted flat was all but otherwise you should definitely get the C6.

I might go for the B6. I don't see myself using it as a computer monitor, I hate 3D, and the minimal gaming I do on it will be casual console games, in which case I don't think a 10ms difference will be substantial.
According to LG's site, today is the last day of the sale. Anyone know what price it jumps back to after today?

Probably MSRP but you can still find it for cheaper at other stores. Microcenter still has their $1700/2500 price valid until the 4th.

Which TVs are you referring to for 2000/2500?

Currently I'm seeing $1799 for the B6/C6 55" and $2799 for the B6/C6 65", at both Microcenter and Best Buy.

Back