LGA1150 mobo with 4790k died, upgrade or buy refurbished mobo?

Work

n00b
Hello,

My mobo has finally given up the ghost. CPU appears ok, had it OC’d to 4.8GHz stable. Got 1080ti and I use it primarily for gaming. Got 1440p 144Hz monitor with G-Sync and loving it.

Two issues:
1. Can’t buy decent LGA1150 mobo anymore (z97)
- the cheapest option, IF I could find a board since no-one is making them anymore, however I’m refusing to pay £100 for a used junk

2. Upgrade to Ryzen or 8700k
- costly and for games like GR:W it offers a shabby single digit % in performance increase

4790k still offers very good punch and yes going with higher core alternatives would offer useful and noticeable extra frames that my monitor can display since it’s high-refresh rate.

Also newer Intel CPUs will use solder TIM, which will improve single core speeds. Going to Ryzen from 4790k OC doesn’t make awful lot of sense. I’ve seen the benchmarks and for gaming even 8600k would make bigger difference.

Could anyone provide provide a different angle on this to help me decide?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I'd try to find a replacement board personally, That system should still be plenty fast for gaming, but trying to find the board you want sounds like its a challenge, I wonder if that would make it hard to sell the Ram and CPU after if you do that sort of thing since boards are tough to find? that kind of money is cheaper than buying a new board, cpu and ram right?

if you aren't opposed to reselling old hardware, buy a board, use it until the 9 series comes out officially for the soldered TIM and you can get the hardware you want then sell the main 3 components as a package. I mnow if I was looking to buy a older platform on a budget, I'd rather buy those 3 components together. But Again, I usually resell my hardware so its something I think about.

Hope this helps.

I'd try to find a replacement board personally, That system should still be plenty fast for gaming, but trying to find the board you want sounds like its a challenge, I wonder if that would make it hard to sell the Ram and CPU after if you do that sort of thing since boards are tough to find? that kind of money is cheaper than buying a new board, cpu and ram right?

if you aren't opposed to reselling old hardware, buy a board, use it until the 9 series comes out officially for the soldered TIM and you can get the hardware you want then sell the main 3 components as a package. I mnow if I was looking to buy a older platform on a budget, I'd rather buy those 3 components together. But Again, I usually resell my hardware so its something I think about.

Hope this helps.

As much I don’t like the idea of buying a refurbished mobo, it’s preferable to buying a new hardware that I don’t actually want. It is worth waiting for something that I want to keep for another 4-5 years. Your point about the resale of my old hardware is something I haven’t considered and it’s very helpful, thank you.

So I say NO to the purchase of 8700k/8600k. And YES to a compatible mobo while awaiting the right hardware to come along!
:)

Last edited:
Back