LGA 3.6ghz temps is this normal?

osirus35

Gawd
I am running a LGA 3.6ghz with a Zalman 7700 ALCU fan on high. I get about 35c idle but then it goes up to 64c on load. Are those temps right?

That's a little out of whack. My 3.4GHz OC'ed to 3.58GHz only does about 47C idel and 60C under full load. So your load temps look about normal for the stock Intel cooler, but your idle temps look way low.

Is it a E0 or D0? E0 might make sense. They have the thermal monitor 2 stuff.

CPU-Z says its D0 stepping. It is an ES chip but i doubt that makes a difference. I am not overclocking the chip at all

It's an ES? Damn I'd OC the shit out of it. ES chips rock. It's earlier production silicon so that can sometimes make a difference. Generally speaking it should behave and act exactly like the normal processor. The difference is it's clock multiplier isn't locked.

I cant really OC because the temps get too hot at stock. Once i get WC setup i will overclock it

Overclock it! You'll be pretty likely get at least 4.0ghz out of it... Don't be too concerned about heat, just keep it below 70C. Prescotts can withstand plenty of heat.

a 3.6ES @ 4ghz?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA like hell..4ghz aint shit for that chip..id bet closer to 4.5+ on water!!!!!!!!!

Buckus said:
And I'm sure it could hit 6+ Ghz on liquid nitrogen.

I wouldn't go that far as to saying that, though I wouldn't be surprised if it happened, so I don't know.

osirus35 said:
I am running a LGA 3.6ghz with a Zalman 7700 ALCU fan on high. I get about 35c idle but then it goes up to 64c on load. Are those temps right?

Well, they aren't dangerous or anything. But they are pretty high for that huge cooler. You might try re-seating the heatsink with a *little* extra thermal goop. Also, make sure it is screwed on tight enough.

god damn..
if your temps are that high...are you using thermal paste under that heatsink?

fwiw, I wasn't very impressed with the 7700. It's huge, but it does not secure very tightly on the mobo... I just think there's too much clearance

i could tighten it. and yes i have thermal compound under it. It came with the fan, I didnt have any as5 with me

osirus35 said:
yes i have thermal compound under it. It came with the fan, I didnt have any as5 with me

AS5 is good for at least a 5 C drop under load from my experiences working with Prescott chips.

Back