LGA 1155 and 2011 details.

Doubled DMI bandwidth is a big thing since full speed SATA6GB or USB3 devices would saturate the current bus; it also gives enough BW to upgrade the southbridge PCIe lanes from 1x to 2x; which will help alot in terms of adding devices. With the LGA1155 CPU staying on PCIe 2.0 vs LGA2011 getting PCIe 3.0 the gap between mainstream and performance sockets is going to be big enough to start mattering again.

I'm somewhat puzzled though about the LGA2011 southbridge. 10 Sata 6GB ports sounds impressive, but with only a DMI connection they're going to bottleneck badly in sequential reads. It also leaves me puzzled about the 2xQPI links the chips are going to have since there's not going to be a northbridge at all. If Intel was willing to license the bus I could see 3rd party chips with extra PCIe lanes being attached there but since they've shown no sign of being willing to do so that leaves multi-processor interconnects as the only use for them. I suppose that's possible but I'd think that most of the chips will be going to gamer and single socket servers, not to dual+ socket boards which'd make the waste of space puzzling.

Yes, that's right, LGA1155 - one fewer pins than current LGA1156 CPUs. These sockets are NOT compatible, so you cannot use an existing LGA1156 CPU in a new motherboard or visa versa. Not only is the position of pin-1 different, the socket notch has moved from 9mm to 11.5mm from the centre and the entire voltage plane layout has changed.

LOL. so you can't upgrade your current setup? You need to buy a whole new 1155 board and cpu? wtf...

Yeah I was going to upgrade to LGA1366 Q1 2011.. but guess i'm waiting for LGA2011 lol.

This could possibly be my next upgrade from S775 P45. :cool:

So, no more Sandy Bridge for LGA 1366 then?

Damn, just when I put together a lga1366 system last weekend, its the end of the line for this platform. :eek::(

VR-Zone has a more detailed article here:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/a-look-...tform--sandy-bridge-e--waimea-bay/8877-1.html

LGA 2011 will bring more features and 8-cores but still 32 PCI E lanes and 2GB DMI link to the South Bridge.

VR-Zone said:
The total number of PCIe lanes have gone up from 36 (on the Tylersburg platform) to 40 on the Waimea Bay HEDT. Besides that, PCIe specifications have also been upgraded from Gen 2 to Gen 3. Three way multi-GPU is perfectly possible without the need for an additional PCIe switch (will PCIe3.0 switches be available by then?).

The VR-Zone article claims that LGA 2011 will increase the PCI-E lanes from 36 PCI-E 2.0 (found on X58) to 40 PCI-E 3.0.

VR-Zone said:
From the way things look, the Patsburg PCH does have a very strong storage subsystem. There exists on the Patsburg PCH a storage controller with Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) support and a SCSI Controller Unit (SCU) that handles Serial Attached SCSI (SAS). These two portions give rise to 6 AHCI capable SATA2/3 ports and eight 6Gb/s SATA3/SAS ports. Of the 6 AHCI capable SATA ports, two are 6Gb/s SATA3 ports, and four are 3Gb/s SATA2 ports. It is possible to RAID all 6 AHCI ports.
It appears it contains four AHCI 3Gb/s SATA2 ports and two AHCI SATA3 6Gb/s on the main controller, and an additional (optional?) eight 6Gb/s SATA3/SASII ports on a secondary controller.

It wouldn't be surprising if this was an either or deal with the enthusiast boards having the four SATAII and two SATAIII ports, while the Xeon motherboards instead got the eight SATAIII/SASII ports.

So, no more Sandy Bridge for LGA 1366 then?

Damn, just when I put together a lga1366 system last weekend, its the end of the line for this platform. :eek::(

1366 will still be around. Also unforeseeable delays in production could push back the release date into Late Q1. Whether you upgrade now or later, you will still find yourself upgrading again within another year either for a better 1155 mobo or refreshed CPU. And remember, 1155 will be more expensive than 1366 at release. There are 1366 setups that are cheaper than 1156 setups.

Another new socket from Intel, WTF, why are they doing this, I mean, 775 lasted quite a long time and its bad enough they have two sockets right now and going to introduce another new two next year.

Another new socket from Intel, WTF, why are they doing this, I mean, 775 lasted quite a long time and its bad enough they have two sockets right now and going to introduce another new two next year.

Can we just knock it off with the socket comments? The P4 used LGA 775 too and it wasn't backwards compatible with most of the Core 2 boards (IIRC, a few Intel chipsets supported NetBurst but support was quickly discontinued and no recent chipset has supported it).

Socket 2011 + 8core Sandy Bridge will most likely be my next upgrade from old 775 socket mobo and Q6600.

Wha? [H]folk complaining about upgrades?

Yeah, this is par for the course anymore.

I say Kyle creates a separate site, and call it, [F]laccidOCP. Where all of the fucking pussies can go talk about power consumption, socket travesty and alike.

I say Kyle creates a separate site, and call it, [F]laccidOCP. Where all of the fucking pussies can go talk about power consumption, socket travesty and alike.

that made me lol in the middle of my office.

people dont seem to grasp the massive amount of work it takes to design different chips, and the reasons that one socket cant be used over and over for future chips. also people should read up on intels "tick tock" approach to CPU design (google it). every second year under this plan they plan on releasing a new socket. get used to it.

I agree. Upgrading is an expensive hobby, if you can't afford to keep up then maybe its time to find a new hobby. :p

lol

amen

I don't get the whining about new sockets. Yes skt 775 had around a 4 year run but every year there was a new chipset for the new CPUs so while the socket didn't change but every time you got a new CPU you have to get a new motherboard or at least thats how it seemed to me.

Skt 775s saving grace maybe was that it was backwards compatible. I could put a P4 in my P45 board but why would I.

How many people actually upgrade JUST the CPU after a few years anyway? If I'm gonna blow all that cash on a new CPU I also want PCI-Express <What I Got + 1>, USB <What I Got + 1>, SATA <What I Got + 1>, and DDR<What I Got + 1> RAM to support all the shiney new peripherals and GPUs I'm gonna pair with it, and to make sure that shiney new CPU isn't bottle necked.

Joe Average out there who got his PC from Dell, HP, or Walmart isn't going to upgrade his CPU to the latest and greatest in 2 years, he's gonna wait another 3 years until what he has is utterly outdated and then spend another $300 bucks to last him another 5 years.

Nearest I can tell the only people that care about socket upgradability are die hard AMD fans who rock themselves to sleep at night in the fetal position chanting their "best performance per dollar" mantra. Then again they're probably prime canidates for [F].

(For the record I don't consider myself an intel fanboy, but lets face it as far as [H] goes the Core architecture has been stomping the Phenom for years now, but I do hope AMD manages to overhaul their architecture in the next generation or two to actually be competitive on the high end. I don't think anyone wants to see a return of the pre-Athlon era)

Last edited:
How many people actually upgrade JUST the CPU after a few years anyway?

I have done that at least dozen times on my home machines so about 50% of the time..

Now however you could just resale your mobo on ebay for 60% of the original purchase price.

people dont seem to grasp the massive amount of work it takes to design different chips, and the reasons that one socket cant be used over and over for future chips. also people should read up on intels "tick tock" approach to CPU design (google it). every second year under this plan they plan on releasing a new socket. get used to it.

I have no problem personally with upgrading, but to say that they coulding include room in a socket for future upgrades is rather silly. Intel knows generally how they will proceed in 2-3 years down the road so they could futureproof a socket with the ability to last longer than 1 CPU lifecycle if they wanted to. Bottom line is, people will buy the new socket regardless putting more cash in their pocket than re-using the old one. Score 1 for Intel.

That is the reason why AMD lets their sockets hang around much longer. So that they can appeal to the crowd that doesn't want to upgrade their mobo every year to year and a half.

Last edited:
That is the reason why AMD lets their sockets hang around much longer.

I am still frustrated that the Asus M2Ns I bought 2 to 3 years ago for work do not officially support Phenom 2 processors. Only Phenom 1s which I do not want.

Can we just knock it off with the socket comments? The P4 used LGA 775 too and it wasn't backwards compatible with most of the Core 2 boards (IIRC, a few Intel chipsets supported NetBurst but support was quickly discontinued and no recent chipset has supported it).

no because that's what this thread is about, don't like it read something else

I am still frustrated that the Asus M2Ns I bought 2 to 3 years ago for work do not officially support Phenom 2 processors. Only Phenom 1s which I do not want.

My M2N-LR is running an athlon ii x2-255 just spiffy. It will probably work.....it is not officially supported but seems to work just fine @ stock.

So I guess I'll just buy a whole new system again. I wonder why they are even bothering with SATA 3 Gbps ports? Just make them all 6 or drop the 3's

They don't care. I've been frequenting this site for many many years. Those of us who have are driven by pushing the envelope. Money be damned. Its our hobby.

Now, we have people fucking bitching about advances in hardware.

These people need to get a damn grip, understand where you are , and shut their damn mouths. I for one can't wait for a new socket and a new architecture. Bring it on.

You have to realize that Socket LGA2011 was originally intended for just high-end workstation and server use. The performance/enthusiast version of Sandy Bridge was supposed to use yet a third type of socket, Socket LGA1356 (not to be confused with the Socket LGA1366 of the current i7-9xx series processors).

I'm a bit torn because I did just upgrade to 1366 a about a month ago so I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of upgrades that I'm going to have but on the other hand the only time I've ever just upgraded the CPU was on my socket 939 from a single to a dual core. usually my upgrade plan works like this.

1) use computer till upgrade itch is to great

2) mod the case so that it's more appealing to potential buyers

3) sell computer for more than it's worth on craigslist

4) use craigslist money plus a bit to build new computer.

5) repeat.

I figure by the time my 920 at 4 Ghz is to slow I'll be ready for something completly new.

I don't get the whining about new sockets. Yes skt 775 had around a 4 year run but every year there was a new chipset for the new CPUs so while the socket didn't change but every time you got a new CPU you have to get a new motherboard or at least thats how it seemed to me.

Skt 775s saving grace maybe was that it was backwards compatible. I could put a P4 in my P45 board but why would I.

except some of those socket 775 was compatible all the way up Q9550. I know because I had P965 board that I bought from date of release in Summer of 2006 and supported Q9550.

I'm a bit torn because I did just upgrade to 1366 a about a month ago so I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of upgrades that I'm going to have but on the other hand the only time I've ever just upgraded the CPU was on my socket 939 from a single to a dual core. usually my upgrade plan works like this.

1) use computer till upgrade itch is to great

2) mod the case so that it's more appealing to potential buyers

3) sell computer for more than it's worth on craigslist

4) use craigslist money plus a bit to build new computer.

5) repeat.

I figure by the time my 920 at 4 Ghz is to slow I'll be ready for something completly new.

That's the spirit. I usually move my old components into the htpc and then get a double upgrade. :)

They don't care. I've been frequenting this site for many many years. Those of us who have are driven by pushing the envelope. Money be damned. Its our hobby.

Now, we have people fucking bitching about advances in hardware.

These people need to get a damn grip, understand where you are , and shut their damn mouths. I for one can't wait for a new socket and a new architecture. Bring it on.

Amen.

My Q66 has lasted me well for near 3 years and it'll go well as my HTPC :D overkill, but oh well, secondary gaming rigs are always fun.

I'm a "tock" kind of an intel guy, and am excited for sandy bridge.

Just built my current rig (socket 1366) about 3 weeks ago. Couldnt be happier. my last build was a S939 that started in 2005 with a A64 4000+. Then upgraded the mobo to an NF4 from the VIA chipset I was using. Then I upgraded the proc to an FX-60. all told I had a 939 running for almost 5 years. Certainly got my moneys worht out of that and Im sure Ill get many years of awesome fast computing from the current 930 monster I have now. After a few months of the next socket coming out, Ill buy the highest non EE edition chip I can find for MORE headroom and add another 6GB to my system.

As a standalone assessment, a core i7 1366 based system will no DOUBT prove its worth over the next few years to be a VERY future proof system.

The new hardware coming out is simply that.... new! For those that crave new gear and can afford it, I say go for it! I know the components I have selected (case, HDD, PSU) will last *hopefully* for a very long time. Its my hope that DDR3 will remain a standard for a bit as well and that all Ill need is a new mobo and proc in a few years. hell I got 5 years out of my old DDR400 Corsair XMS. 2 different mobos, 2 different processors, two different cases and more video cards than I care to mention and the one constant I had was my trusty 2GB XMS kit.

In conclusion, I agree that there should be no complaining about a new chip. 1366 parts will LIKELY not need upgrading to stay relevant for a few years. It wont be the *TOP* parts available on the market, but damn if they arent fast in their own right. For those that must upgrade every cycle, bless you and may the computer Gods have mercy on your wallet! :D

Just built my current rig (socket 1366) about 3 weeks ago. Couldnt be happier.

I just built a i7 920 system in the same time frame. $525US for an i7 920 + EVGA 3 SLI + 6GB GSKILL DDR3. I am still testing it before I swap out my q9550 parts in my main rig for the new system. One reason I purchased this was because I expected 1366 to have sandy bridge upgrades. Darn.

I still wonder why 4 channel memory with only 4 dimms, it might be going backwards, but fitting 8 slots on a board is not cost effective with eatx size. 3gb dimms might be the answer for 12gb systems.

I still wonder why 4 channel memory with only 4 dimms, it might be going backwards, but fitting 8 slots on a board is not cost effective with eatx size. 3gb dimms might be the answer for 12gb systems.

I was thinking the same thing as a current 12gig system owner. I'm sure they have thought this through, and if they keep the 4gig DIMMs out then you could have a system total of 16gigs. I personally would not mind that at all. With all of the stuff I do with VMWare, the more CPU, RAM and HDD space I have the better.

The problem is related to performance and reliability. As you go higher in frequency unterminated buses have more and more problems with signals reflecting off the end and echoing back creating noise. The more devices you have on a bus the worse it is. That's why with SDR/DDR1 memory you had upto 3 sockets per channel, DDR2 only supported 2 channels, and current DDR3 platforms only support 1333 officially. This is also why you have to relax your memory timings slightly if you're running dual channel memory.

There are ram interfaces designed not to have these sort of problems. They're called fully buffered (FB)-DRAM (aka registered DRAM). You'll see them on high end servers/work stations. They're signficantly more expensive and slower both in raw throughput and in clock rate because of the buffering needed to prevent the signal from degrading with lots of dimms on a single channel.

The fastest FB-DRAM newegg sells is DDR-1333 which is $73 for a 2GB dimm, vs $52 for normal DDR3-1333.

Man that sux, yet another socket! Jk fellas ;) I cant wait to upgrade old faithful: an EVGA 780i + Q9550 + 480GTX! I cant wait for Sandy Bridge!

Last edited:
And remember, 1155 will be more expensive than 1366 at release. There are 1366 setups that are cheaper than 1156 setups.

Uh, that's very, very, very incorrect. 1155 is priced pretty much exactly the same as 1156 is right now. I work at a Fry's, we've been able to see prices for the boards & procs for awhile now. The most expensive 1155 you can get is the i7 2600K for like $320 - a whole $20 more than an i7 950. And the boards are between $129 and $179, where all X58 boards are $209+. Plus you can get an i5 2400K for $200 instead of the i7 if you want.

Uh, that's very, very, very incorrect. 1155 is priced pretty much exactly the same as 1156 is right now. I work at a Fry's, we've been able to see prices for the boards & procs for awhile now. The most expensive 1155 you can get is the i7 2600K for like $320 - a whole $20 more than an i7 950. And the boards are between $129 and $179, where all X58 boards are $209+. Plus you can get an i5 2400K for $200 instead of the i7 if you want.

Would you care to drop the price of the non "k" 2600?

Back