LG3 photos rumor

I'm curious how the overall camera feel on the G3 compares to the xda camera mod for the G2 (and other LG phones). The camera mod brings virtually all the new capture functions to the G2 that showed up in the G3 (of course, no laser focus, lol). The laser-focus is hard to grasp by just reviews though. People call it 'blisteringly fast' though I don't know what this translates to. If it's compared to the previous cameras on LG phones, it's not hard to get 'blisteringly fast' in comparison, as the focus on LG's cameras has always been broken. The camera mod significantly improved it, though there's still a little bit of lag.

TBH, re the OIS, I can't say I notice much improvement with OIS turned on or off on my G2. Curious how the G3 compares, since it allegedly uses the same correction method (afaik). Or perhaps they have a different algorithm/stabilization method.

It's roughly as fast as the other options out there so far, such as HTC's Duo Camera and Samsung's ISOCELL. It's not instantaneous, but it's quick enough that you won't be tapping the screen to focus unless the subject is really hard to find or very much off-center.

The LG G3 is selling like hotcakes in the USA.

The 2K display and laser focus camera are the major selling points.

That study is on the mark to some extent, but I seriously have to question the methodology. It places a lot of emphasis on resolution, and upsamples photos and videos if they don't meet the highest resolution in a given group. Go figure that a Lumia 1020 is going to look best at 38MP, because it's the only one with a 38MP sensor. Ditto comparing phones with 4K video versus those with only 1080p. It's entirely valid to point out those differences, but you don't need to upsample to figure that out. There's also no real mention of other crucial aspects, like shot-to-shot lag... one of the reasons the 1020 hasn't taken over the world is its slow performance.

I just traded my G2 for a G3 through TMo Jump! yesterday and I'm pretty disappointed so far.

The display is eating the battery up like its nothing. I've watched the battery drop 5% just from snapping a few pictures inside in a matter of minutes. The real test will be tomorrow when I get it to work and stream music for 7 hours. My G3 was typically at about 40% battery after a day of streaming music and web browsing at lunch.

My biggest gripe has to be fonts in the browsers. I've tried everything I can to give fonts a bolder look on forums, and even with me making them larger through settings they still appear paper thin, larger but paper thin. I have given myself a headache trying to read text on the phone when in the browser. I don't have the greatest eyesight, but never had a problem with reading text on my G2.

I would honestly not have an issue returning the G3, and keeping my G2 for the text issue alone. I will be out $50 for some restocking fee, but I'm really considering it.

Let the battery go through several full discharge/recharge cycles to see if it improves.

G3 would've been better if they had kept the 1080p resolution while retaining all the other improvements. QHD is overkill for less than 8". I'd rather have 4K media decode and output capability instead.

I've had the phone for a few days now. Here are my impressions:

1. Screen: The preloaded videos recorded at the native 2K are absolutely stunning; probably the most impressive looking videos I have ever seen on a cell phone screen. However overall, I prefer the screen on the S5. My girlfriend has an S5 and side by side, the IPS screen on the G3 looks a little dull. Also, it doesn't seem to get nearly as bright as the S5. With both phones at 50%, the S5 is noticeably brighter. Don't get me wrong, it's still a very nice screen, but next to the S5 (which to be fair, is probably the best screen on the market) it comes up a little short. Maybe it's also a function of the fact that I've been using amoled screens for the last 3 years or so and I've become partial to their bright and vibrant nature and true blacks.

2. Build Quality: The phone is beautifully built. I dare say it's nearly on the build quality level of the M8. It's still plastic, but it's the best feeling plastic I've ever come across. The size is really perfect for me. Wonderfully thin bezels maximize the screen real estate. For it's size, it feels very light, but it doesn't feel cheap. My old Note 2 feels like a heavy fat pig next to it.

3. LG skin: So far I'm forcing myself use the LG skin before throwing something else on top of it. LG has made a point of "simplifying" things. Mainly I think they're trying to distance themselves from their rival Samsung and all the negative overkill associated with Touchwiz and this time around they're pushing the "simple" angle. Overall I'd rate the skin a solid B in my book. It's user friendly, but there's a fair amount of customization available if you want it. It's smooth and responsive and I haven't noticed any lag issues. Not of huge fan of their different color schemes for different functions (purple music player??) but overall it's a nice skin. I'd probably rank it somewhere between touchwiz and sense. That said, I'll probably be throwing Nova Launcher on it in the next week or so.

4. Battery life: So far my impressions of the battery life are good. About on par with my Note 2. I haven't done extensive testing for "on screen" time figures but I'm not having any issues getting through the day with moderate to heavy usage. I need to charge it every night but I'm okay with that. Get me through the day and I'm happy.

5. Camera: I'm still reserving my opinion on this one. In daylight or any good lighting, the phone takes very nice photos. But I expected this. I'd place it about on par with the S5 for daylight photos. However with regards to low light photography, I'm still testing out which modes work best. On the previous G2, there was a specific "lowlight mode" (along with a ton of other modes) however they again "simplified" things with the G3 and they really only give you a few modes out of the box. So far I don't like the way pictures look in low light with flash. Things tend to get blown out very easily. So far, forcing HDR "on" seems to work best for low light. But my testing still continues.

Overall, I'm very happy with the phone. It's not a world killer, and there are certainly things I would improve, but the phone doesn't have any glaring weaknesses and does just about everything very well. I have a family member with an upgrade available in November. Depending on what the Note 4 has, I may or may not upgrade to it and hand down the G3 to my dad.

Last edited:
I had an S5 for a few months before picking this up on an insane deal last week and I mostly agree with your observations, although I am undecided on the screen. Amoled 'pops' more, but I think the G3's screen is more natural looking somehow.

That study is on the mark to some extent, but I seriously have to question the methodology. It places a lot of emphasis on resolution, and upsamples photos and videos if they don't meet the highest resolution in a given group. Go figure that a Lumia 1020 is going to look best at 38MP, because it's the only one with a 38MP sensor. Ditto comparing phones with 4K video versus those with only 1080p. It's entirely valid to point out those differences, but you don't need to upsample to figure that out. There's also no real mention of other crucial aspects, like shot-to-shot lag... one of the reasons the 1020 hasn't taken over the world is its slow performance.

If it put a lot of emphasis on resolution, why did the Xperia Z2 do so poorly then?

I had an S5 for a few months before picking this up on an insane deal last week and I mostly agree with your observations, although I am undecided on the screen. Amoled 'pops' more, but I think the G3's screen is more natural looking somehow.

Exactly, I feel like this is the argument between LED & Plasma TV's. I've had an S3 & S4, the AMOLED screens to me are overly bright when turned way up. I always turned them down, the LG G3 screen is not as bright but comes across softer, more natural looking as mentioned above. It's plenty bright enough for me, I actually use the auto feature so it's not so bright at night.

If you see the LG G3 screen in Quad HD (2k), it completely blows away the S5. There is just no comparison. More software will be coming out to support the resolution. Both are great screens, it's just personal preference.

One of the things that stands out for me is the camera performance in low light. Performs extremely well compared to my previous phones including the LG G2.

Overall I am very happy.

2k is not quad hd stop calling it that. If it was the same thing you woulnt have to include the "2k".

2k is not quad hd stop calling it that. If it was the same thing you woulnt have to ine "2k".
Yes, it is quad HD, or QHD. Yes, QHD is also referred to as 2K.

It is QHD because you can fit four 720p (HD) panels. And it is 2K simply because the specs says it is, referring to the 2000 horizontal pixels. See Wikipedia about 2K, I'm sure it's in there

Exactly, I feel like this is the argument between LED & Plasma TV's. I've had an S3 & S4, the AMOLED screens to me are overly bright when turned way up. I always turned them down, the LG G3 screen is not as bright but comes across softer, more natural looking as mentioned above. It's plenty bright enough for me, I actually use the auto feature so it's not so bright at night.

If you see the LG G3 screen in Quad HD (2k), it completely blows away the S5. There is just no comparison. More software will be coming out to support the resolution. Both are great screens, it's just personal preference.

One of the things that stands out for me is the camera performance in low light. Performs extremely well compared to my previous phones including the LG G2.

Overall I am very happy.

I completely disagree but it is completely a preference issue. The only thing to me that "blows away" the competition, "screen-wise" are those 2 preloaded 2k videos. Those are gorgeous. However, most of what you're going to be looking at everyday is not going to be uploaded or recorded at that native resolution. Sure this phone is future proof, but by the time youtube lets us select 2K, and it becomes more mainstream, I'm sure we'll all be using different phones by then.

I'm really nitpicking here, but that's what we tech nerds do, we nitpick. I personally never use the autobrightness feature. The screen constantly dimming and lighting up on its own annoys the shit out of me. I like to set the brightness at a constant level that's useable but that's also easy on the battery. Normally it's somewhere around 50%. My biggest gripe is that at 50%, the G3 is just a little darker than I would like. 75% is more where I would prefer but at that level I'm probably compromising battery life.

And what's the big deal about looking "natural". Are we all professional photographers? Give me aesthetically pleasing to the eye any day. Give me pretty, and impressive and beautiful. :D

Again I'm only talking about comparing to an S5 which I consider worlds better than the S3 or S4 screen wise.

Also I just came across this video which I find interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMb_4FxmNow

Here a guy is comparing a Sprint and AT&T variant of the G3 and the Sprint version is noticeably brighter than the AT&T model.

I'm rocking a verizon G3 and maybe my issue is that I just happen to have a phone with a dimmer panel? What models are you guys using?

Even photographers are into High Dynamic Range so natural looking is just an excuse if your screen is dull.

You never hear about this in reviews but for those of you that want to mess around with contrast/colors.

Go to setting -accessibility-color adjustment
and adjust the contrast to your liking.

Yes, it is quad HD, or QHD. Yes, QHD is also referred to as 2K.

It is QHD because you can fit four 720p (HD) panels. And it is 2K simply because the specs says it is, referring to the 2000 horizontal pixels. See Wikipedia about 2K, I'm sure it's in there

I had no idea they were using multiples of 720 panels. Which means that cell phone makers are taking their own approach to branding.

I also think I confused QHD with UHD.

I'm wrong all around today. carry on.

Last edited:
I had no idea they were using multiples of 720 panels. Which means that cell phone makers are taking their own approach to branding.

The term QHD (Quad HD, 2560x1440) has been in use before smartphones were even invented.

Mine came in today, but I wasn't in the office, I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Coming from a G2, this thing really has a lot to live up to. The G2 was hands down the best phone I've ever owned. I'm really bummed the VZW version doesn't have Qi charging out of the box and I have to pay more money to enable it.
I'm also concerned that the battery life won't be as good, but I'll just hav eto use it and see how it goes. I used to be able to almost go 2 days without a charge on my G2.

I was forced to get the G3, unfortunately it was not by choice...
(left it on my trailer when we stoped during a road trip, and it got ran over by a bunch of cars on the highway)

G2cracked.jpg

Last edited:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151362145727
got one of these ...hopefully its easy to remove the qi element so that i can put it on my black back case.

I saw that on xda, and I'm interested in this as well, please post your results in the thread.
I can use the usb port for a few weeks if I have to, i'd just rather the phone all match.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

They do not use multiple panels. He just meant that the resolution is the same as 4x HD (1280x720) panels.

Has anyone noticed the horizontal and vertical grid lines on the display? most noticeable in midtones? I thought it was my unit but the store display models all had it.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Has anyone noticed the horizontal and vertical grid lines on the display? most noticeable in midtones? I thought it was my unit but the store display models all had it.

havent heard of this. any pics?

I see no lines on my device.

i will try to get a picture but its hard to capture it. basically it looks like a grid of 1mm x 1mm faint lines that covers the entire screen. its most noticeable in mid-tone gradient areas. the display unit at the store had it, but it worries me if you guys aren't seeing anything. :confused:

Actually I have seen it. I know what you're talking about. But I only noticed it just once. And for the life of me I can remember what the color pallette was at the time. But yeah I was looking at the screen at a very specific side angle under a very specific light and I did notice what looked like a huge grid of very tiny lines. I haven't noticed it since then. Anyway, all the phones probably have it but honestly, you probably have to look at it under such specific lighting/viewing angles so as to be a non-factor. I'm trying to replicate it but I can't at the moment. But you're not crazy. I swear I've seen what you're talking about.

got my g3, battery life is pathetic. 5-10 minutes per hour of usage and it wont make it to 5pm. Have to charge it twice a day to be usable. If it doesn't get better in the next couple days its going back. A huge step backwards from by s4

got my g3, battery life is pathetic. 5-10 minutes per hour of usage and it wont make it to 5pm. Have to charge it twice a day to be usable. If it doesn't get better in the next couple days its going back. A huge step backwards from by s4

Took mine off the charger at 7am on Friday. Used it for high accuracy GPS for 1.5 hours, had a total of 2.5 hours of screen on time, bluetooth and wifi on all day.
By 6pm still had 54% battery left.

What's your brightness set at?

Something isn't right...based on your usage above I can get almost 1 1/2 days worth. I'm set at 100% brightness/auto. I guess is depends what your doing in the short time, gaming?

I used my phone about the same yesterday, work up this morning (no charging at night), still at 44%.

umm that's way too bright. I use mine at 25%/Auto

I use mine outdoors a lot, i need it up that high, its not full brightness though since it's auto.
But still, i get about 1.5 days worth, more than enough.

Back