LG W3000-BN on LG's Canada site

Atreus

Gawd
http://ca.lge.com/en/products/model/detail/lcdmonitors_w3000hbn.jhtml

Is this the fabled LG 30 incher that was supposed to come out this year with an improved IPS panel? I couldn't find any information on it aside from it appearing on their site. No retailers are carrying it yet in Canada and it seems it's not released in the USA either.

Any info on this monitor? Thoughts? From the looks of the specs, it's a 5ms monitor with 178 degree viewing angles and only DVI (with hdcp).

No scaler. Only supports 1280x800 and 2560x1600. Might be a good choice for people who need a low-lag computer monitor.

No scaler. Only supports 1280x800 and 2560x1600. Might be a good choice for people who need a low-lag computer monitor.

Frankly, this is all I need - well this and IPS. I'm probably in the minority, but I really don't care for scalers at all.

an update for those interested in this monitor: sent an email out to LG usa and have received a reply saying that they're not aware of this monitor since it's not listed on the usa site (weak answer, i'll probably ask again) and have not received an answer from LG canada.

Video cards scale pretty well now anyway, I would rather have the option.

From the Cdn site:
SPECIFICATIONS:
NATIVE/MAXIMUM RESOLUTION: 2560 x 1600
BRIGHTNESS: 330nits
CONTRAST RATIO: DFC 3000:1
RESPONSE TIME: 5ms
PIXEL PITCH: 0.2505(H) x 0.2505(V)
VIEWING ANGLE: 178/178
INPUT TERMINALS: DVI-D, USB
CONTROL TYPE: Key Number: 5EA, Key Location: Front, Key Type: Touch Seonsor, LED: Blue/Amber
HORIZONTAL SCANNING FREQUENCIES: Digital: Single - 49.31KHz, Dual - 98.71KHz
VERTICAL SCANNING FREQUENCIES: Digital; 60Hz
DPMS POWER CONSUMPTION :Normal: 130W, DPM: 2W, Power S/W Off: 1W
TILT/SWIVEL/HEIGHT: Tilt, Swivel, Height
DIMENSIONS WITH BASE (W x H x D) :702.7 x 625.4 x 270.0mm
SHIPPING DIMENSIONS (W x H x D) :789 x 600 x 276mm
WEIGHT (WITH BASE): Set: 12.3kg, Box: 15.4kg
ASPECT RATIO: 16:10
SPECIAL FEATURES: sRGB, Pb Free, HDCP
115% sRGB Colour Gamut

Not conclusively, but the specs say S-IPS. Too bad about the wide gamut tho.

I just spoke to Komplett......

They emailed the manufactuer who confirmed that this panel is S-IPS. :D

This is a very interesting option for me at £1050 inc tax and shipping (GBP):

Both the dell 3007 & 3008 are unavailable in the UK at the moment (big quality problems with the 3008 and no more 3007 left anywhere). The new NEC 30", while very nice I'm sure is 60% more expensive (£1600). That leaves Hazro as the only real IPS 30" option apart from this new LG. Apparently the Hazro is good quality but basic - no extra inputs, no scaler, even an external wall wart - and goes for £850ish I think (can someone confirm). Also, I think Hazro have had problems with their re-sellers (their monitors are no longer listed on any website) even though they are still for sale.

With all these issues this LG could be the one. I'm slightly concerned about the reported 5ms response time, it seems very low for an IPS monitor, could this be marketing hype???

Also, does anyone have any experience with komplett return policy? If its good enough I might just spring for this monitor now and take the risk it turns out a bad egg.

Not used Komplett myself, so can't help with that I'm afraid.

The only other 30" that has UK availability at the moment appears to be the HP 3065. Dabs and a few other places have them either in stock or on backorder. You simply cannot get a 3007WFP-HC at all here for love nor money, but as (I think) the HP uses the same panel as the Dell, that may be an alternative?

For me - upgrading from a 2405FPW for gaming purposes - it's looking like it's going to have to be either this LG or the HP - the 3008 has known lag issues, the NEC is probably the same (given the on-board scaler and image processing), the Samsung 305T is a dreaded PVA panel, while the Apple Cinema Display, although IPS, is of an older type than the others.

Is there any confirmation yet as to whether this LG 30" really does have this very latest whizz-bang panel? The lack of scaler and extra ports bodes well for input lag in any event.

K

According to the linked page under the 'specifications' tab, it's confirmed to be an S-IPS panel.

Also, http://www.prad.de/en/tv/specials/ifa2007-teil28.html appears to suggest that this screen uses the same panel as the HP3065 and Dell 3007WFP-HC. I know the link is only a general overview of the LG range from a 2007 trade show, but is there any reliable information confirming that the LG 30" uses some kind of new revision of their panel? The claimed 5ms response time could just be marketing BS.

[k]

[k]ar|;1032248664 said:
According to the linked page under the 'specifications' tab, it's confirmed to be an S-IPS panel.

Also, http://www.prad.de/en/tv/specials/ifa2007-teil28.html appears to suggest that this screen uses the same panel as the HP3065 and Dell 3007WFP-HC. I know the link is only a general overview of the LG range from a 2007 trade show, but is there any reliable information confirming that the LG 30" uses some kind of new revision of their panel? The claimed 5ms response time could just be marketing BS.

[k]

that is wrong. the LG is using "Q5" version of LG Philips 30" LCD module, the same model used in the DELL 3008 and NEC 3090UXI. the 3007WFP-HC is using "Q3" version.

http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/homeContain/jsp/eng/prd/prd200_j_e.jsp

Thanks for that confirmation. As the Dell and NEC have scalers, and therefore are likely to suffer from significant input lag, it looks like the LG will be the 30" of choice for gamers.

[k]

[k]ar|;1032250075 said:
Thanks for that confirmation. As the Dell and NEC have scalers, and therefore are likely to suffer from significant input lag, it looks like the LG will be the 30" of choice for gamers.

[k]

It only has DVI, there would be no need for a scaler. I'm guesiing this will be the lowest input lag 30" monitor without a doubt.

UPDATE:

received an email from LG canada:

-----------Reply to Customer Enquiry------------
Since this monitor was recently introduced, not all dealers carry it yet. Please keep an eye out at Future Shop or Best Buy to purchase one in about a month. LG Electronics Canada Inc.

I didn't hear from the US branch of LG, so i'll probably send them an email/call them soon.

It only has DVI, there would be no need for a scaler.
If you're only planning to use it with a PC, sure, but this means its not possible to hook up a blu-ray player or game console with a HDMI->DVI cable, which some people care about. Still, I think this is a pretty fair trade off for much less latency.

However, I do find it pretty disappointing that the LG Canada website states that
the LG W3000H will fully support HD 1080P content via the integrated DVI (HDCP) port
Now granted, I suppose this could mean that the monitor is capable of displaying a 1080p movie that's been upscaled to 2560x1600 via a PC's video card, but that's pretty damn misleading, since any monitor with HDCP can do the same. Given that the LG website listed the L246WP as an S-IPS panel for months after it was confirmed to actually be P-MVA, this seems like another case of LG failing to keep their website up to date with valid information. I'll be interested in hearing the real story on this one once it's available.

With only one input, I doubt anyone will be using this with anything other than a PC, it would be a waste otherwise as you would lose the 2560x1600 resolution which is the only reason to choose this over a cheaper/more flexible 32" 1080p TV.

Also you can probably get a Dell 3007 for much cheaper and it has similar capability.

You can use an HDMI switch to achieve these requirements.

I have used one to great success on my Westinghouse L2410NM with no disruption due to HDCP.

Still, that's an added cost to an already very costly screen.

Regards,

10e

German site:
Multiscan Support
1280 x 800 @ 60 Hz
2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz

Canadian site:
HORIZONTAL SCANNING FREQUENCIES:
Digital: Single - 49.31KHz, Dual - 98.71KHz

Downloaded Manual from Canadian site:
1 1280 x 800 49.31
*2 2560 x 1600 98.71

To me that says it has no scaler and works just like the original bunch of 30" displays. You couldn't connect it to a console even if you did want invest in a DVI switch. BTW I haven't read about a good quality inexpensive DUAL-LINK DVI switch.

I would say this is a computer only display. Not a problem for me, if it is low lag and has a really good sRGB mode (wide gamut is more harm than good), has a good price, and has no other problems. Not holding my breath waiting for it.

Edit:
Scratch that, while the german site seems to indicate an OSD with sRGB control, I downloaded the manual from the Canadian site. There is no OSD, no sRGB setting. Essentially this is no better than a Dell 3007 and imo it is worse because it is even wider gamut and likely more expensive.

Isn't the Dell 3007WFP-HC also wide gamut? Or is this panel even wider gamut then that? Once you go over 72% NTSC, does it really matter how wide the gamut goes?

The likelihood that it is an MVA panel would be pretty low, but not out of the question.

I will check that store tomorrow and see what it is, and if there is a display model. If I can I will take some photos.

Regards,

10e

Isn't the Dell 3007WFP-HC also wide gamut? Or is this panel even wider gamut then that? Once you go over 72% NTSC, does it really matter how wide the gamut goes?

Yes the Dell is also wide Gamut, but the wider you go, the more inaccurate your colors will be and the bigger the steps between each color. They keep adding more color range, but you still only have 8 bits for the color steps.

So as it stands I still see the Dell as better than this monitor. It goes on sale for less all the time and it's gamut is slightly better (not as wide). The LG doesn't bring anything new that is actually useful to the table IMO.

BTW you can check Future Shop store stock online. The two stores closest to me, don't stock this one yet.

The likelihood that it is an MVA panel would be pretty low, but not out of the question.

I will check that store tomorrow and see what it is, and if there is a display model. If I can I will take some photos.

Regards,

10e

sounds good. thank you for your initiative. :)

I will buy one asap when they will be in stock in my local futurshop

i'm considering doing the same - worst that can happen is i will return it if i don't like it. But none of my local stores have it in stock and i'm going away in a week :mad:

Whats the big draw vs the Dell 3007-HC(currently 1299 at Dell Canada). Seems like pretty much the same monitor for $200 more. Dynamic Contrast that important?

Has anybody purchased this monitor?
If yes how does it compare to the Dell 3008?
Any backlight bleed or uniformity issues?

Please point me to any review available. Thanks

im back in the country finally and will probably pick this up as soon as my local store gets it in stock - anyone already have it yet? Pics? vids?

well still can't get it in store locally. I'm thinking of ordering online and having it delivered.

Back