Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

exlink

Supreme [H]ardness
IRaeO0T.jpg

TlGStH5.jpg

Key Phone Highlights

- 6" FullVision HDR OLED 18:9 Screen (2880x1440)
- Snapdragon 835 w/ 4GB of RAM
- Qualcomm X16 Modem (T-Mobile Band 71 Compatible)
- Dual Camera - f/1.6 Main Lens & f/1.9 120° FoV Wide Angle Lens
- 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC w/ Headphone Jack
- Immersion TouchSense Haptic Feedback Engine
- Wireless & Fast Charging
- 3300 mAh Non-Removable Battery
- IP68 Water Resistance
- Gorilla Glass 5
- Floating Bar (replaces 2nd screen)
- 64GB/128GB w/ Expandable Storage
- Android v7.1.2

PRICE: ~$800 for carrier phones.

US RELEASE DATE: October 5th, 2017 for most US carriers.

LG V30 Product Page

LG V30 Unveiling:

LG V30 Official Product Video:

Last edited:
I don't see those prices holding after the first month. But otherwise I like what I'm seeing about it so far

I'm not seriously massively interested in the V30 since LG has changed too much with their newer models - currently have a V10 I just got from another member here and it's been great so far (thanks again CanonicalAbstract!) and if it chokes and dies with a bootloop it's now registered with LG so they're gonna fix it whether they like it or not. :)

I will probably watch some of this event just to see what they're doing and the actual guts of it but, I owned a V20 for a short period of time and just wasn't impressed with any aspect of it at all, sadly. I still love the G4 and I wanted to get another one (and I more than likely will at some point) but when I had the chance to get this V10 for a great price I decided to grab it. So far so good, only terrible aspect is the device just gets no damned love at all, the T-Mobile model I now have features an unlockable bootloader which means someone can do anything they damned well please with it (and I did unlock the one on mine) but there's no custom ROMs for it, not even an unofficial build of LineageOS and I find that practically reprehensible in many respects. Great device, G4-based hardware (same SoC, same camera assembly, a lot of other similarities but with the HiFi DAC and the second display and more storage as well) but nobody seems to give a shit about it and that's just sad, it really is.

Wish I was a ROM dev, I'd be all over it but I'm not a coder or programmer in any respects, creating ROMs is like a black art to me I suppose. I do wish someone would churn out a LineageOS ROM however. Even my damned Stylo 2 Plus now has an unofficial LineageOS ROM for it, I just installed that yesterday and it runs GREAT even being a work-in-progress ROM.

Oh well, LG, you had me with the G2, the G3, and the purely awesome G4 even in spite of bootloops for so many people, and the V10 was the last of it's kind with the rear mounted buttons for your flagships, and you lost me (and many other people) with no more removable batteries which means I'm not forking over cash for anything new you folks make anymore. :(

The poll needs a 3rd option: "meh, I suppose..." :D

The reveal was good, and the phone looks great. The biggest disappointment for me was that it only has 4GB of RAM. Jury is still out on the price though, but if it is drastically cheaper than the Note 8 (~$200) then I'll pick it up instead. Looking forward to some hands on impressions. I'll update the main post tomorrow.

And just so you guys know...the poll was just for shits and giggles. Wasn't meant to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Finally moving on from LCD.
Amazing DAC with an amp that will drive high impedance headphones. Hell at this point even having a headphone jack is good, fuck courage, Id rather have a jack.
Massive screen.
Arguably one of the best cameras on any smart phone.
Stock-enough experience.
Microsd card slot.

If it had a removable battery and completely stock android, I think this would be the best android phone ever.

If Google pulls a bullshit again and only drops Pixel on Verizon then V30 will be my logical upgrade to my G6.

I've been quite happy with LG devices. V10, G5, V20 and now G6. They've all been fast and fluid devices. LG may not be updating on a monthly basis but they've been at an every other month basis since I was on the G5. That's not half bad for an OEM in my opinion. Love my G6 but with the original JUMP it's just too easy to move to something new every 6 months. So why the fuck not right? ;)

If it had a removable battery and completely stock android, I think this would be the best android phone ever.

Aside from the potential bootloop issues (because not everybody suffers it), I still say for me that's the G4. Even this V10 I have now - probably because it's slightly larger and the second screen is of no real use to me personally - isn't as great to me as the G4 is so, I suppose I'll be looking to sell this V10 soon to get yet another G4. :D

i've been a fan of LG ever since the LG G2...then switched to the G3. had that for a year before i accidentally smashed the crap out of it. good thing i had jump from t mobile and upgraded to the v10. it was good for a while until the battery started overheating and dying. jumped again to the v20, and i gotta say, i am happy with this. had it for almost a year now and no issues. i might think about upgrading, but without a removable battery...i might refrain and just keep my v20.

Just as predicted: no removable battery. Damn shame, LG, you were the last ones to hold out for so long. It's a big strike against the V30 regardless.

I won't actually be buying one, not because of the aforementioned sealed battery problem because everyone's doing it and I'm screwed no matter what, but that's largely because LG doesn't take pen input seriously. Ditch the cheap-ass capacitive stylus on the Stylo models, put an active pen on the V-series like I've been yearning for with the V10 and V20, and then we'll talk.

Just as predicted: no removable battery. Damn shame, LG, you were the last ones to hold out for so long. It's a big strike against the V30 regardless.

I won't actually be buying one, not because of the aforementioned sealed battery problem because everyone's doing it and I'm screwed no matter what, but that's largely because LG doesn't take pen input seriously. Ditch the cheap-ass capacitive stylus on the Stylo models, put an active pen on the V-series like I've been yearning for with the V10 and V20, and then we'll talk.

No thanks, I'd take a bigger battery over a stylus/pen. Keep that shit exclusive to the Stylo/Note.

From what I understand, Wacom has a contract with Samsung which is why their digitizers are always in the Galaxy Note devices and that contract has some stipulations about Wacom not being able to sell their digitizer hardware to other smartphone manufacturers. I'm not 100% sure that's the entire reason, but I think since the 1st gen Galaxy Note came out long ago there's only been one other smartphone that used a Wacom digitizer and it didn't generate any interest whatsoever because that 1st gen Galaxy Note sucked it all in. Still a great device to this day in my opinion, I really did love that device when it first came out.

I know there are other makers of active digitizer hardware similar to how Wacom's technology works, I suppose smartphone makers know Samsung has the pen-enabled market locked up tight with the Note series even in spite of the Note7 fiasco.

I have a Stylo 2 Plus and it's fucking insanely sensitive to the capacitive stylus and it works fantastic for my purposes. Yes I would love to have a proper active digitizer at work but, this is more than enough for me and I only paid $45 for it - someone just created that LineageOS ROM for it a few weeks ago so that's great and the pen still works as expected there as well, no issues in my experience.

No thanks, I'd take a bigger battery over a stylus/pen. Keep that shit exclusive to the Stylo/Note.
Or it could be like my Note 4 with its removable battery and I could have both. In fact, one of my other friends toting a Note 4 had an extended battery; must've been like 10,000mAh with the thickness. That's like having your cake and eating it too, but no, we get to deal with this sealed battery crap in the name of planned obsolescence and high repair costs for swapping those batteries that push people toward buying newer, increasingly expensive phones instead.

I just want a real successor to the Note 4 that Samsung won't make, because I'm only looking at the Note 8 out of lack of alternatives and the fact that using an unofficially unlocked Sprint device on T-Mobile is driving me nuts with suboptimal network support. LG could've eaten their lunch if the V10 and V20 just had the pen, or the Stylo models weren't such half-assed budget models and instead flagships of V-series caliber. It was a prime opportunity given the massive step back the Note 5 was, alongside the whole Note 7 fiasco, and LG missed that boat.

We get to deal with too many compromises in flagships since 2015. I want the "no compromises" phone back... pen included. And yes, I make good use of it, stuff like annotating photos (like marking up port and solder joint pinouts) and making quick doodles where my Cintiq Companion Hybrid would be too cumbersome to lug around.

That's why I yearned for it so much on the V10/V20, because they were this close to being the perfect phones for me. So close, and yet so far, because while they had pretty much everything else I could want in a phone, I've been spoiled by pen input that far outclasses the old resistive digitizer PDAs of decades past. I can't do without it now, but I know LG could pull it off if they just tried.

And no, the Stylo models don't count. Capacitive styluses do not offer palm rejection (because they're indistinguishable from your finger), hover cursors (which are useful for previewing brush sizes and activating mouseover bits on Web pages), pressure and tilt sensitivity. They're little better than resistive styluses in all of those regards.

From what I understand, Wacom has a contract with Samsung which is why their digitizers are always in the Galaxy Note devices and that contract has some stipulations about Wacom not being able to sell their digitizer hardware to other smartphone manufacturers. I'm not 100% sure that's the entire reason, but I think since the 1st gen Galaxy Note came out long ago there's only been one other smartphone that used a Wacom digitizer and it didn't generate any interest whatsoever because that 1st gen Galaxy Note sucked it all in. Still a great device to this day in my opinion, I really did love that device when it first came out.

I know there are other makers of active digitizer hardware similar to how Wacom's technology works, I suppose smartphone makers know Samsung has the pen-enabled market locked up tight with the Note series even in spite of the Note7 fiasco.

I have a Stylo 2 Plus and it's fucking insanely sensitive to the capacitive stylus and it works fantastic for my purposes. Yes I would love to have a proper active digitizer at work but, this is more than enough for me and I only paid $45 for it - someone just created that LineageOS ROM for it a few weeks ago so that's great and the pen still works as expected there as well, no issues in my experience.
I know Samsung has a fair share of Wacom stock, but nothing's been stated about actual exclusivity. I suppose such is the nature of business contracts.

If that is the case, though, then what I'm banking on is that Wacom's EMR patent portfolio is in the middle of expiring, hence all these new offerings in the drawing tablet/monitor market that have battery-less pens for much less than you'd end up paying for a Cintiq. This is squeezing a lazy, complacent Wacom out from the low end while Apple blindsided 'em at the high end with their new Pencil - not an envious position to be in.

The other smartphone manufacturers just need to strike a deal with whoever Huion, Yiynova and the like are getting their digitizer hardware from if they can't just go to Wacom directly, and BAM! Note killers EVERYWHERE, as long as they also bring stuff like removable batteries and IR blasters back! But they're not even trying right now, for one reason or another. My guess was simply that they only saw the Note's main selling point as being a really big-screened smartphone, while neglecting to heed the actually notable feature about what you could do on that screen. They're not entirely wrong given that Samsung is making penless, jumbo-sized S-series flagships that eat into the Note's sales for people who never used that pen to begin with, but damn if it doesn't limit my options because the others aren't being competitive enough.

I will say, my older bro had a Stylo 2 at some point, I think. He doesn't have it anymore, but the capacitive stylus is admittedly more effective than I expected, especially given the small nib on it. However, it still suffers from all the shortcomings I outlined above compared to a true active pen implementation.

Good job LG. Looks to be a fanatic phone and the phone LG should have been building for the last few years. Kudos

Well it certainly can't hurt, that's for damned sure. :)

I hope that LG was finally able to resolve the issues once and for all in production that lead to all the previous models that suffered from boot loop problems and that the V30 turns out to be a worthy successor to some of the older flagships. I wouldn't mind having one, honestly, because I prefer LG design and their UI (as far as running stock device ROMs is concerned). I'm not certain about how experiment-friendly it'll be - it might not have a bootloader that proves to be unlockable, the community could decide the device isn't worth any effort or time, etc.

Remains to be seen but, I do hope it turns things around for LG overall.

I'd rather get this V30 over the note.

It's between the V30, Pixel XL2 and iPhone X for me. The V30 and Pixel XL2 will share some similarities apparently so it'll be interesting to see the comparison.

It's between the V30, Pixel XL2 and iPhone X for me. The V30 and Pixel XL2 will share some similarities apparently so it'll be interesting to see the comparison.
I'm fairly interested in all three but I'm looking to get the cheapest one around New Years. I'd get the X because that face unlock is cool as hell but I have a 6S+ and I'm not looking to upgrade it.

Good on LG for that warranty; it's a vote of confidence in their new hardware. Bootloop comments are as tiring as battery exploding comments these days.

And speaking of batteries, now that they're not letting us easily pop the back and swap it, that warranty better be good for battery replacements if the internal cell gets especially bad during its second year.

I'd rather get this V30 over the note.
I wonder why. Built-in audiophile DAC/amp or wide-angle cam win you over, perchance? Or maybe it's just the cost savings, which is a pretty big selling point on its own.

There's this particularly heated rivalry between the V30 and Note 8 amongst the overall tech community for some reason, with that one Android Authority article/video adding fuel to the fire, but without the active pen, it's no contest, really. You either need the pen and the options it brings to the table over a crappy capacitive stylus, or you don't and you have so many more cost-effective alternatives to choose from, some packing perks like double the internal storage or an audio subsystem that could get an audiophile to set aside the DAP/separate amp pair bulging their pockets. Or prompt Android feature updates, for that matter.

Here's the thing about the V30. You can probably find one for $500 or less by the end of this year if not already. So waiting for pixel 2 etc etc seems like a good idea.

I'm betting within a couple weeks of release there will be BOGO offers on the v30. That's part of why it's so attractive. As soon as T-Mobile goes live with a BOGO I'll have a V30 on order.

I'm betting within a couple weeks of release there will be BOGO offers on the v30. That's part of why it's so attractive. As soon as T-Mobile goes live with a BOGO I'll have a V30 on order.

Exactly, T-Mobile has done it for pretty much every flagship since the G6 release (G6, V20, S8/S8+, Note 8, etc). I'd be surprised if they don't do the same with the V30 which means I could essentially get one for probably $500 or less after selling the second one off.

Exactly, T-Mobile has done it for pretty much every flagship since the G6 release (G6, V20, S8/S8+, Note 8, etc). I'd be surprised if they don't do the same with the V30 which means I could essentially get one for probably $500 or less after selling the second one off.
Depending on the rumors for pricing it could be considerably less. Me and my girlfriend both have iPhones, but want androids to play with as well. With some of the rumors being 650 to begin with that's 325 each.

With the pricing and the daydream as the added bonus it makes for a better baby for buck then the other flagships. But I'm going to hold out for a BOGO.

That light bleed tho. And uneven color shift with low light.

I had a v20. Decent phone. The second screen was a gimmick and useless for my purposes. Which made the phone gigantic for no reason.

Went with a s8+ after. Night and day different.

If I hadn't fallen in love with the s8+, I'd have considered the v30.

Not that I'll ever spend more than maybe $400 for a brand new smartphone, but if I was to choose between any of the current flagships or a V30 I'd get the V30 without even caring about the competition.

Good thing about LG phones, they drop in price significantly months after release.

Look at the LG G6 here, it was released in April, and it's now $499 brand new from Best buy, and this is the officially unlocked version, that can be rooted and ROM'd, where the carrier version are locked down tight.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-g6-...-phone-unlocked-black/5870305.p?skuId=5870305

$479 here;
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1322815-REG/lg_g6_us997_32gb_smartphone.html

The V30 will hit this price point early next year by Feb / March, probably sooner. But even the G6 at $479, that's still a very nice phone, and at that price I would highly recommend it if your not cool with the insanely high flagship prices now reaching $900+

Last edited:
Even though it is kinda expensive for what it is, I honestly can't wait for mine to arrive; should come by Friday.

I do wish the launch was more 'universal'; I don't understand why you have At&t, Verizon and T-Mobile only carrying the V30, Sprint apparently only having the V30+ (could be both), and U.S. Cellular carrying both models.

Because the carriers dictate what LG does when it comes to what products they'll carry - they say what they are willing to stock and sell and LG can only provide what they're willing to work with.

Well I got a little hands on with the v30 yesterday.. Only about 5 minutes, but this phone was flat out impressive. The screen looked great & a great feel in hand. The UI is what I was expecting & although not my favorite I also dont hate it either.

What surprised me most was how light the phone felt in hand for the size.

Well I got a little hands on with the v30 yesterday.. Only about 5 minutes, but this phone was flat out impressive. The screen looked great & a great feel in hand. The UI is what I was expecting & although not my favorite I also dont hate it either.

What surprised me most was how light the phone felt in hand for the size.
Played with both the V30 and the Pixel 2 XL at a Verizon store today. Both are superb phones and I'm still contemplating getting the V30 instead despite my 2XL shipping Tuesday...

If there was a LG V30 Play Edition it would be THE phone of 2017. Too bad they stopped putting out Play Edition phones years ago...

If there was a LG V30 Play Edition it would be THE phone of 2017. Too bad they stopped putting out Play Edition phones years ago...

This is the whole truth right there... Hardware wise I think the v30 takes the cake away from the pixel 2 XL since its got wireless charging, but the pixel software experience is going to win hands down every time..

Makes me even more excited for the 2 XL! Just a few more days. :)

Were I into video content production, the V30 would be the easy choice. I'm much more interested in pure Android. Just hope I can get comfortable with the Pixel's rear fingerprint sensor.

Back