LG Unveils Its 1st QNED Mini LED TV with Up to 2500 Dimming Zones

erek

[H]F Junkie
"LG has announced the company's first Mini LED TV lineup ahead of CES 2021. Marketed as "QNED MiniLED", these TVs will feature Mini LED backlighting for greater contrast range, as well as combined quantum dot and NanoCell technology for richer colour expression. LG quotes almost 30,000 MiniLEDs and nearly 2500 local dimming zones on its flagship 86-inch 8K QNED Mini LED TV, contributing to a one million to 1 contrast ratio. LG's QNED Mini LED televisions will sit between the top-tier OLED and the more affordable Nanocell LED LCD within the South Korean brand's 2021 TV hierarchy.

*Update 29 December 2020:* LG has reached out and clarified that QNED should be pronounced as Q-N-E-D, i.e. individual characters, not Q-NED as we have done in this video."

Sounds good.... screen tech keeps getting better.

As for Q.N.E.D. ya no if QNED catches on we will all be saying Q-NED. If you don't want your product to be called Ned Don't name your product Ned.

release a 40" version for bedrooms and RVs and don't charge and arm and leg for it and maybe we're inbussiness

EDIT:48" OLED is still tooo big

Unfortunately newer general LCD fabs don't use a glass size that splits nicely into 40" panels. Until/unless another new generation does split nicely into that form factor we're unlikely to see more modern 40" displays.

2500 zones = 2500 points of failure........the advantage being if you have failures....being so small....will you actually notice......hmmmmm.
Are dimming zones that bad compared to OLED? I've never experienced MiniLED, a buddy of mine bought the TCL I have to check it out.

MiniLED's are probably the best of breed right now for LCD TV technology...Oled is still Oled but OLED doesn't get very bright due to the nature of how it produces its image, and you absolutely can get burn in......and the problem with burn in is once you see it, you'll never, ever unsee it......so its like, do you risk it? A lot of people do, and they wind up just fine. Some people do it, and they get the image retention/burn in...sometimes it clears, sometimes not...lots of factors in play at that point, but OLED still produces true blacks like CRT's used to, which even the best LED LCD cannot claim to do.

MiniLED's are probably the best of breed right now for LCD TV technology...Oled is still Oled but OLED doesn't get very bright due to the nature of how it produces its image, and you absolutely can get burn in......and the problem with burn in is once you see it, you'll never, ever unsee it......so its like, do you risk it? A lot of people do, and they wind up just fine. Some people do it, and they get the image retention/burn in...sometimes it clears, sometimes not...lots of factors in play at that point, but OLED still produces true blacks like CRT's used to, which even the best LED LCD cannot claim to do.
I wish we had a best-of-all-worlds option, but I'm glad there are a range of options that in many cases will be just dandy for most scenarios. Mini LED seems like a great pick if you mostly watch in a brightly-lit environment or just don't want the slightest risk of burn-in.

Also, in case you're curious: I've had an LG OLED set (a C7) for a few years, and there's no visible burn-in It helps that I'm playing games and streaming videos instead of watching conventional TV.

I wish we had a best-of-all-worlds option, but I'm glad there are a range of options that in many cases will be just dandy for most scenarios. Mini LED seems like a great pick if you mostly watch in a brightly-lit environment or just don't want the slightest risk of burn-in.

Also, in case you're curious: I've had an LG OLED set (a C7) for a few years, and there's no visible burn-in It helps that I'm playing games and streaming videos instead of watching conventional TV.
I usually take my main TV and move it to my bedroom whenever I upgrade. I bought a kuro plasma 1080 p tv back in 2011 I think, and it still looks incredible. My only thought process is if I were to switch to OLED, could I reliably stick it in my bedroom in 5-6 years once I decide to upgrade again (my living room TV sucks but it's 4k HDR, i'll likely give it away or sell it, I'll likely replace it with Mini-led honestly).

I can totally see this pronunciation catching on as "quin-id" (like quid, but with a similar sounding "neh" inserted in the middle).

Anyways...could be a great option for those that don't want to or can't shell out the bigger bucks for the OLED, until OLED becomes mainstream and cheap.

Just wondering are any of this new tv better than the plasma tv or laser tv?

May stray off topic...but who here owns an OLED that got burn-in? My 55" LG C7 has been fine, and I get on the kids and wife constantly about it (leaving it on and walking away, or worse leaving it on pause and walking away), and I think I shouldn't bother anymroe.

2500 zones on an 86" is less density than 384 zones on my 27" PG27UQ (1.264 in² per zone vs. 0.811 in² per zone). They would need to put 4000 zones in the 86" to reach a similar density. I wonder how many zones will be in the 48".

2500 zones on an 86" is less density than 384 zones on my 27" PG27UQ (1.264 in² per zone vs. 0.811 in² per zone). They would need to put 4000 zones in the 86" to reach a similar density. I wonder how many zones will be in the 48".

Good to see how it breaks down. Last I checked Asus ROG 27" FALD monitors (4K 120 / 144hz) were somewhere in the $2000 range. The question is if QNED will enable a similar level of lighting zones, image quality, and frequency on the panel at a lesser cost? I was hoping by now we'd see 27-32" (note for 4K it would be nice to have 30-32" for a desk monitor really) 4K 120/144hz high image quality/gamut FALD type monitors for the $300-500 range or less. We've been able to do this stuff for the past 2 or 3 years with FALD and the likes but it has always been quite expensive. Being able to make it affordable and better is the major jump forward. Of course, the alternative is to shrink down OLED 4K and top tier quality 120/144hz frequency etc... to the 27-32" range, inexpensively.

Good to see how it breaks down. Last I checked Asus ROG 27" FALD monitors (4K 120 / 144hz) were somewhere in the $2000 range. The question is if QNED will enable a similar level of lighting zones, image quality, and frequency on the panel at a lesser cost? I was hoping by now we'd see 27-32" (note for 4K it would be nice to have 30-32" for a desk monitor really) 4K 120/144hz high image quality/gamut FALD type monitors for the $300-500 range or less. We've been able to do this stuff for the past 2 or 3 years with FALD and the likes but it has always been quite expensive. Being able to make it affordable and better is the major jump forward. Of course, the alternative is to shrink down OLED 4K and top tier quality 120/144hz frequency etc... to the 27-32" range, inexpensively.
ASUS has a 32" version coming out this year, but it is expected to be around $3,500... The PG27UQ went down to $1,500 before it was superseded by the PG27UQX, which goes for $2,400.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/a...esolution-144hz-g-sync-ultimate-and-hdr-1400/

The 32" is supposed to have 1,152 dimming zones, which is an impressive 0.38 in² per zone. Strange that the so-called mini-LED TV can't get more density, but it probably comes down to manufacturing cost. Hoping that LG will be able to get down to at least a 40" OLED panel in the next year or two.

2500 lighting zones? Now we're talking! If only it was a 30 inch monitor.

2500 lighting zones? Now we're talking! If only it was a 30 inch monitor.

At 4k that'd still be a 57x57 pixel backlight size. For comparison at 100% DPI scaling a standard Windows cursor is 32 pixels tall (40/48 at 125/150% scaling); it's better but is still big enough to cause noticable halos around things, especially if you factor in that few small items will naturally fit into a single dimming zone but will instead end up spanning 2 or 4 of them. We probably need at least ~100k zones (9x9 at 4k) before the halos get small enough not to be particularly noticeable.

May stray off topic...but who here owns an OLED that got burn-in? My 55" LG C7 has been fine, and I get on the kids and wife constantly about it (leaving it on and walking away, or worse leaving it on pause and walking away), and I think I shouldn't bother anymroe.
I have had a c9 for about 2 years now and haven't had any burn in with at least 8 hours a day on time.

I have had a c9 for about 2 years now and haven't had any burn in with at least 8 hours a day on time.
Have had a C8 for a little more than 2 years that I do nothing but game on and have no burn-in. Some of my gaming sessions can last 5 hours or more at a time.

I don't know how my 65" E6 does it but if I walk away for a few minutes, the screen goes black with a little fireworks going off in different parts of the screen. Some kind of screen saver I guess. I can't find it in the settings as this use to be my mother's TV.

I don't know how my 65" E6 does it but if I walk away for a few minutes, the screen goes black with a little fireworks going off in different parts of the screen. Some kind of screen saver I guess. I can't find it in the settings as this use to be my mother's TV.
It will do this if no motion is detected on the TV for a certain period of time (3-5 minutes, I think). I don't think there is a way to turn it off.

I usually take my main TV and move it to my bedroom whenever I upgrade. I bought a kuro plasma 1080 p tv back in 2011 I think, and it still looks incredible. My only thought process is if I were to switch to OLED, could I reliably stick it in my bedroom in 5-6 years once I decide to upgrade again (my living room TV sucks but it's 4k HDR, i'll likely give it away or sell it, I'll likely replace it with Mini-led honestly).
Yes you can my b6 played 1-2 years of mixed pc/tv then 2 of just pc now's it's in my bedroom looks just as good as day one but it's noticeably dimmer then my c9 that replaced it...also haven't had any problems with my 65 c7 in my den...once you get uesed to oled it's hard to watch anything else

SED TV... really wish this tech came out.

2400 dimming zones will help TVs, but as someone else pointed out, it’s about zones to size. Supposedly they working on an LED per Pixel approach as well.

2400 dimming zones will help TVs, but as someone else pointed out, it’s about zones to size. Supposedly they working on an LED per Pixel approach as well.
Wow, I haven't heard of SED in years. I recall that being the next hot display tech that was supposed to be better than LCD in almost every way.

Wow, I haven't heard of SED in years. I recall that being the next hot display tech that was supposed to be better than LCD in almost every way.

It was amazing tech. Basically a thin version of CRT tech. Died due to a patent court war. OLED is the closest tech in terms of color, contrast, and response time. The one thing that SED had over it was native support for any resolution like old CRT monitors.

Yea my c9 does it also. I don't believe there is a way to shut it off but it has never interfered with anything I was watching/playing.

Last edited:

I remember SED sounding awesome too but that was ages ago. That being said I'm still rocking my 8 year old 1080p Panasonic plasma TVs (65in and 55in) and have no desire to ever upgrade. Seriously, I'm 47 years old and hope these are the last TVs I ever own.

I remember SED sounding awesome too but that was ages ago. That being said I'm still rocking my 8 year old 1080p Panasonic plasma TVs (65in and 55in) and have no desire to ever upgrade. Seriously, I'm 47 years old and hope these are the last TVs I ever own.

I recently upgraded parent's Panasonic 42" Plasma TV to Panasonic OLED 55" TV when there was an awesome sales going on previous year (1500 -> 899 €), best decision ever. :) Plasma still looks great but the OLED even better, especially once properly calibrated (had trouble out of box getting the brightness/how the colors "pop out" to be natural across very various TV shows being used to the Plasma (me and parents don't like overblown colors or brightness/vividness) as the OLED TV is noticeably brighter but once properly calibrated it just made the Plasma feel a bit lifeless. Also gotta say a good word about Panasonic's OLED motion handling, the "minimum" setting works awesome (was my only worry coming from Plasma as both me and parents are used to watch a lot of sports and we loved how smooth & realistic the motion was on the Plasma but the OLED on the "minimum" motion handling option looks just as good as the old Plasma IMO.

Last edited:
The biggest weakness I've found so far in OLED - it completely exposes how TRASH (even 4K) streams are. Rambo:Last Blood on Amazon looked horrible in certain scenes this weekend. It's stuff you never notice on a typical LCD or (I can assume) plasma.

The biggest weakness I've found so far in OLED - it completely exposes how TRASH (even 4K) streams are. Rambo:Last Blood on Amazon looked horrible in certain scenes this weekend. It's stuff you never notice on a typical LCD or (I can assume) plasma.

This is beauty of 1080p as current streaming is optimized for that resolution and is why I have no desire to upgrade from my 8 year old plasma TVs. I can barely tell the difference between streaming and blu-ray content at 1080p, plus it's cheaper for 1080p streaming than 4K too.

Back