LG Ultrafine 5K Display Can Become Unusable When Near A Router

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Is it time for Apple to introduce a true successor to the Thunderbolt Display? Probably, as LG has allegedly dropped the ball with their Ultrafine monitor, which may bug out when it is used near a router—the author of this article experienced everything from disconnects to system freezes firsthand. How do display manufacturers manage to do it? Aside from typical issues such as dead pixels, banding, and light bleed, I may have to worry about how monitors behave around other kinds of hardware now?

There are other high-resolution external displays that work with new MacBook Pros, but the LG UltraFine 5K Display is the closest thing to a modern Thunderbolt Display for Mac users. The problem is it becomes unusable when positioned within 6.6 feet of a router. I discovered this issue after purchasing my own last week and thinking something was defective with my hardware. Right out of the box, it was hardly usable as it would consistently disconnect and even freeze my MacBook Pro, which made it unusable for work on Thursday and Friday. Connecting it to my MacBook Pro consistently resulted in needing to reboot my machine to continue working.

I always found it funny that electronic devices can't cause any electromagnetic interference, but they must accept any incoming interference.

Wait I thought that FCC rules prohibit this kind of issue? I thought that almost all electronics that get FCC certification are required to handle interference up to certain power levels (well beyond those reachable by a router)?

Sooo.... after reading the article, and watching the video, i got this. "DESPITE ALL OF ITS GLARING DEFICIENCIES THAT SHOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE, I am a mac fanboy and this product is amazing"

Macboys.... wtf man, its like i was watching a video made by one of those people that just accept mediocre standards...

Wonder if LG re-purposed a 4K smart TV control board for this monitor and didn't fully disable the WiFi part? If so, maybe when WiFi signal is strong enough, the WiFi part tries to helpfully connect, dropping the existing connection.

I use a wireless remote audio transmitter to connect my speakers in my kitchen to my main receiver in the livingroom. Every time someone turns on the microwave they just stop.

I wonder if this LG screen can withstand in home microwave use? :p

I have had 2 LG smart phones (G3 and G4) and 2 LG TV's. Each of them went faulty, the G3 would just switch itself off for no reason, the G4 failed completely and had to have the mainboard replaced under warranty and both TV's had to be replaced under warranty. I don't have LG appliances any more !!! Makes me wonder if the monitor is built to the same standard !!

Back