LG tries to control monitor review

Anyone ever heard of corruption from TFTCentral or RTings? I like those sites a lot and hope they are still impartial.

Anyone ever heard of corruption from TFTCentral or RTings? I like those sites a lot and hope they are still impartial.

RTings I believe buys all of their products and don't accept review samples. Not sure about TFTCentral

Sadly stories about corporations lacking ethics no longer surprise me. At all.

Why would it ever have surprised you? We used to not have proper regulations in place for dumping waste, causing corporations to dump it right into channels that lead to public drinking water, leading to cancer.

Corporations have never been about ethics. Ethics was always more of a speed bump the government had to occasionally force on them than anything. Beyond protecting the company's image, ethics never mattered...

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1403564721186381827

E3p2u5uVcAckGcg?format=png&name=medium.png

Sounds like somebody got their PP smacked at LG!

Wonder if they got blacklisted? Would assume not.

Sounds like somebody got their PP smacked at LG!

Wonder if they got blacklisted? Would assume not.

Whow, HWUB? Possibly not, but at the end of the video in OP he says he's not worried if LG does blacklist him, he'll just buy LG monitors to review.

It'd be nice if everyone did that with all their reviews, but that probably gets expensive.

Pretty good video. The only reviews i've ever read/watched were from [H] so I have no experience on others standards, does Hardware Unboxed have a good Reputation? (sounds like that might be the case)

Hope he does a follow up, I'd guess there is more to come from LG's side.
They are one the more honest reviwing websites. They also are very thorugh in their revews. TYou should subscribe to their You Tube channel as I do.

Going to disagree with a lot of what you say here.
Company wants features to be covered, I don't really see any issue with that.
Covering features is fine, asking certain "features" be ignored, or done only in a particular way isn't fine, as long as all of this is agreed to before hand.
But the Company does have a right to have some say in the review process if they are providing free product. Asking for features to be covered (as nVidia did), totally fine. Asking a bad review to be withheld, that's kinda iffy but doesn't equate to lying about a product. Asking results to be changed without good reason, obviously bad. A valid concern might be improper use or reviewer error, in which case the expectation is that the issue gets corrected, then the review released. But none of that is out of line.
See I don't think a company has any real right to have some say in the review process. A reviewer has a particular viewership that watches/listens to them due to the way they do reviews, how they do reviews is in no way secret and said company should decide if they want to have their product reviewed in that fashion before sending out the review samples. If they don't like that style of review, then find another reviewer. Reviews are not supposed to be commercials for a product, while yes reviews absolutely sway people to buy their products they're doing it based on the merit of how the product performs not cherry picking all the good stuff and ignoring the rest. Reviewers are there primarily for us potential customers NOT for the product makers, reviewers have a right to us to tell us whether or not something is good, or if something is even worth upgrading (which it seemed like some of this was about as they didn't want the product compared against other LG products, presumably the prior year's version).

The supposed "payment" can go either way, especially if you consider how some Youtubers make money. It's not uncommon for a channel to get $50,000 compensation for having a sponsor on a video. Did you hear that? $50,000. One video, sponsored. Think about how this plays in the minds of Youtube content creators.
But a sponsorship is not a review, unless said sponsor specifically asks for that to happen, and in those cases it must be stated that said company is sponsoring it so that there is no question that the words could be influenced by money. And in some cases some places don't accept sponsorships if they want it to be a reviewed product. See it all the the time with LTT and the like, LG is sponsoring this garage build and gave us this 77" OLED TV... to which they proceed to hook up an xbox or something and play video games.

He didn't show the email (at least I didn't catch it) where compensation is offered, so we don't know for certain if it really happened, or assuming it did, what the amount was. They might have said "sorry we wasted your time working on this review that we don't want to be aired, here's $500 for your trouble." That to me isn't really a bribe, they might have been trying to keep the relationship with the content creator amenable if the creator felt their time was wasted. This is a real thought in the back of creators minds, especially if they can't air a video that might have had a paid sponsor (unrelated to the item reviewed). If they offered $10,000, then hell yes, that is bribe territory. But none of these specific details were provided. The majority of what I saw of the companies replies didn't really sound that bad, but the contact is obviously not a fluent English language speaker. Something being improperly conveyed, not out of the realm of possibility.
No specifics were not mentioned, the LG marketing guys were dumb but not THAT dumb. They simply stated what they wanted to happen, and then followed up with "we'll compensate you for this" so they're saying we will pay you to only review it in this fashion. But the thing is they should have gone with the above mentioned sponsorship route instead, but they most likely wanted it labeled as a review so as not to make people think there's bias.

In any event, the review accepting "free product" for review, already makes the reviewer susceptible to bias, perhaps even unconsciously. But also allows the supplier to apply pressure.
Absolutely, and this is the largest issue for the whole system, NVidia blackballed them... temporarily... for what they did and the community including other reviewers ganged up on Nvidia (at least in a video). But this is much more a problem with smaller content creators as they rely on free samples for this, they may be making money from their reviews (non-related sponsors, youtube ad revenue, etc) so don't want to lose out on potential money. However larger content creators they can often weather the storm, possibly have patreon donations that are enough to pay for hardware and the like. So they wouldn't necessarily need to have much bias when reviewing a product.

As much as I think this is scummy as hell from LG. I love my OLED and can never go back lol.

Well, get a high end Sony where they make their own oled panels. They use LG for their lower end models.

Well, get a high end Sony where they make their own oled panels. They use LG for their lower end models.
Eh? Sony still uses LG panels for the entire line. Also the Sony OLED are not worth almost double of the LG price.

Sounds like they're getting their shit together. I doubt they'll cut hwub out–think someone at LG just didn't understand what they did and why they were refusing to do what they asked.

They definitely wont cut HUB out after this. It would be PR suicide to do so. I disagree with the last sentence. LG very much knew what it was doing. HUB isn’t the only channel they did this to and apparently it’s something they’ve been doing for a while.

That sounds positive for LG. Some remote group went rouge and was caught, corporate spanked them, probably pretty hard. End result for is us good.

Back