LG to Launch World’s Largest Micro LED TV at IFA

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Megalith, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

LG will be showcasing a huge Micro LED TV at this year’s IFA trade show. Measuring around 175 inches in size, it will be even bigger than Samsung’s 146-inch Wall TV. It is also expected to be thinner than 80 millimeters.

A micro LED TV is made of millions of self-emitting chips that are smaller than 100 micrometers, and boasts better picture contrast and energy efficiency than the existing high-end OLED and LCD-based products, including Samsung’s QLED TVs. It does not require backlighting units, thanks to the self-emissive nature of the tiny LEDs, so it is much thinner than the other types of TVs.

Wrecked Em likes this.
  2. Riccochet

Riccochet Necrodancer

Much thinner, but's it's 80 millimeters thick? That's over 3 inches thick.

3. [21CW]killerofall

[21CW]killerofall Aliens...

That's what she said. ;)

Who cares about thickness in a TV? It has 0 bearing on the performance. Actually TVs with FALD are thicker then non-FALD TVs and they are better. The only way I could seeing thickness matter is if you are flush-mounting your TV to the wall. But who the hell does that? I have only ever heard of that being done once, because it is a fuck ton of work to get it right and kills your TVs speakers (as they will now be in the wall).

Poseur, jeffj7, PaulP and 5 others like this.
  4. ecmaster76

ecmaster76 [H]ard|Gawd

Right
    Its cool they keep showing these off but I wish they'd focus on making one I could afford and fit in my house instead of increasing their screen peen at the trade shows

jeffj7, PaulP, oROEchimaru and 2 others like this.
  5. Riccochet

Riccochet Necrodancer

Who the hell buys a high end panel and uses the built in speakers?

6. JargonGR

JargonGR Limp Gawd

Well the build-in speakers are indeed a joke sound wise but people like looks over performance. However, there solutions like "in-wall" speakers for those willing to pay.....Yet, this is still money spent towards look vs spent on even better speakers with better performance. Oh, well I used to be a sound addict so I am biased.

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  7. jnemesh

jnemesh Gawd

Stupid. The Samsung "Wall" TV STARTS at 146" and can be made any size you want. It's modular. 146" is just the minimum size to achieve UHD resolution...but you can go as large as your wallet allows.

8. jnemesh

jnemesh Gawd

OMG!!! 3 inches from the wall! How will you ever cope with the lost floor space???? /s

jeffj7, PaulP, travanx and 4 others like this.
  9. TangledThornz

TangledThornz Limp Gawd

Better picture quality than plasma yet?

10. taz-nz

taz-nz n00bie

If you read the linked article, they say the 80mm is for the Video Wall, the TV is expect to be 30mm, or about 1.2" for those still liking in the dark ages.

N4CR likes this.
  11. STEvil

STEvil 2[H]4U

But what are the pixel response times?

Almost tempted to go back to crt for gaming..

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  12. shpankey

shpankey Limp Gawd

the problem w these is making them smaller, not larger. they can't. yet

jfreund likes this.
  13. Brahmzy

Brahmzy [H]ardness Supreme

Plasma crap was surpassed in PQ many years ago, lol.

Nima84, oROEchimaru, Armenius and 2 others like this.
  14. viper1152012

viper1152012 Gawd

Tv or car..... Both make sense I guess

Armenius likes this.
  15. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

Maybe microLEDs will be a mature, affordable technology by the time I get burn-in on my LG 65" OLED.
    Which, given how little I watch that set (15 hrs. a week) and that it's in a dark room, may be never.
    Which is fine with me.

oROEchimaru and Armenius like this.
  16. panhead

panhead Gawd

Let me know when your PQ matches 25 year old CRTs.

d8lock likes this.
  17. Zepher

Zepher [H]ipster Replacement

I wanted this 150" Panasonic Plasma back in 2008, but didn't want to tear down a wall in my house to get it in,
    panasonic-150-inch-plasma-640x353.jpg

so I got a 42" Panasonic instead.

oROEchimaru and Armenius like this.
  18. jnemesh

jnemesh Gawd

Still gaming at 320x480i?

19. Brahmzy

A blurry, dim flicker-fest! What a maroon! Dinosaur tech!

jnemesh likes this.
  20. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

Take off your rose tinted glasses. CRT picture quality wasn't as good as you remember.
    Funny, but I think my monitor was a 15" 1024x768 in 1993. My last one was a 21" 1600x1200 in 2004.

Nima84, Burticus, oROEchimaru and 3 others like this.
  21. xXaNaXx

xXaNaXx Gawd

Who the hell uses TV speakers? ;)

It's not a fuck ton of work...all you need besides the wall mount is a ratchet set, screwdrivers, a level, and a stud-finder...you can get all that for probably $25 over the cost of the mount...and which any self-respecting DIY'er should already have anyway.

I flush-mounted my TV in the living room because I didn't like the flimsy stand that was included with the TV, and because it makes it so much cleaner of an install. Sure, reaching the connections behind the TV is a bitch, but I really only have to do that once...I run a single HDMI to the TV from my Home Theater receiver, then everything else gets plugged into the receiver. So I have one power, one HDMI, and one LAN cable going to my TV which makes bundling them together and keeping it clean really easy.

TV speakers..... :sick:

22. jfreund

jfreund Gawd

OLED already presents better picture quality than plasma and CRT. Response time with micro LED shouldn't be an issue; it's the LCD in current displays that takes time to switch. LED should be instant on/off.

Making a huge micro LED screen is not impressive. The challenge is shrinking the tech enough to make mass market screens without noticeable gaps between pixels.

23. zkostik

zkostik Gawd

Provided your wallet allows for a 146" TV ;)

travanx and jfreund like this.
  24. haste.

haste. [H]ard|Gawd

High end speakers are nice enough looking that they usually will get wife approval. But again that's starting at around 1k a speaker for the lowest end of that tier. My wife fought it but she doesn't mind the DT 8060s/atmos I have in the living room, they blend right in. But those are just upper mid/low high and more expensive speakers look much better.

Oh and she even let me get an 8080 center... but I was forced to get Mythos surrounds. With so many different driver sizes it was a pain in the ass to get the timbre matching correct - YPAO RSC is nice, but still took a lot of work.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  25. haste.

haste. [H]ard|Gawd

Whhhhatt? Have you ever watched on a high end Plasma? The first time PQ and motion quality was close was when I got a fricken stupidly priced JS9500, but still either has LCD judder or compensated with soap opera. Admittedly the PQ was superior but motion control on the QLED still couldn't hang with the Plasma. My OLED finally does both well and surpassed my 8ish year old plasma.

Edit: My wife who isn't into tech at all thought that the difference in motion control between the Samsung QLED and LG OLED was so different that when we shifted from the OLED to the QLED to finish marathoning Westworld, she complained the entire time stating "something is off from the rest of the episodes and this finale is terrible"... OLED is the closest we have come to plasma...

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    dvsman likes this.
  26. alxnet7227

alxnet7227 [H]Lite

I have fond memories of my many CRTs back in the day, but yeah, I don't miss the shadow masks, convergence issues and flickering one single bit.

dvsman, oROEchimaru and Armenius like this.
  27. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin [H]ardness Supreme

The trinitrons always had a very interesting horizontal line about 2/3rd the way down on their CRT's. Remember that? They were the bomb for monitors though.

dvsman, travanx and jfreund like this.
  28. Riccochet

Riccochet Necrodancer

I have a 65" JS8500 (same panel as JS9500 without the curve). PQ wise it's about on par with my old Samsung plasma. Like you, where the plasma excels is in motion clarity and black levels. I get some blur and crush on the JS8500 while the plasma is smooth as butter and nice, inky blacks. At least with 1080 content.

29. Brahmzy

Yes, thanks.

30. haste.

haste. [H]ard|Gawd

8500 isn't fald as far as I know. I returned a 9000 cause of backlight bleed which sickens me. Really only went with the 9500 for the fald.

31. jnemesh

jnemesh Gawd

Got word on pricing this morning, gonna be over $350k. So no one here (most likely, I could be wrong...) will own one.

32. zkostik

zkostik Gawd

Yeah, I'm not surprised. I recall when 120" something was as big as these got, at work we had a quote for an 80" tv and it was close to $100K and had to be special ordered and such. These are probably no different and who knows if it's even going to market and not a "hey we did it first" kind of thing. It sure is great they made one but it sure is going to be a while before it comes to a typical home. Also made me curious why 146" is the smallest size, kind of a weird size.

33. panhead

panhead Gawd

game at 1080i on the CRT, but I haven't seen a panel PQ better than a HD Trinitron Wega. Getting really close on the higher end panels, but the consumer grade panel PQ is inferior.

34. Poseur

Poseur Limp Gawd

So, we finally get real LED TVs and we have to call them micro LED, because some marketing person decided to confuse everyone with the LED back lit LCDs. To me, this is going to be a long term plateau of performance. It's kind of good that the LEDs are forcing the screen size up. 4K should be huge, not 12-15" laptop sized screens. I can't believe my cell phone has 1920x1080. Way too small to see all of that detail. Brightness and response time should be really good. Hope they get the colors right from the start.

jfreund likes this.
  35. d8lock

d8lock Gawd

I wish I still had mine. 30in Trinitron was absolutely gorgeous.

36. jnemesh

jnemesh Gawd

I have been selling TVs for over 22 years, and I can tell you, the picture quality of that Wega was exceeded LONG ago. It's only capable of resolving about 800 lines INTERLACED. Black levels are exceeded by OLED (and fully backlit QLED), response time is MAYBE the only advantage it has, but with input latency at 7ms on current LEDs from Samsung, that advantage is razor slim, at best.

37. Todd Walter

Todd Walter Limp Gawd

That was the spring used to hold the mask tightly against the glass to square off the pixels. There were two, one at the 1/3rd and one at 2/3rds. How noticeable they were depended on seating position. Ask me how many fucking phone calls the helldesk received after we deployed them back in the '90s!:mad::banghead:

38. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin [H]ardness Supreme

Yes, but they were the crispest monitors you could buy with excellent refresh rates. And back then it was all about the refresh rate to avoid flicker.

39. Cerulean

Cerulean [H]ardForum Junkie

Bruh ! There are still people using CRT TVs

40. Riccochet

Riccochet Necrodancer

Ok. This isn't 2002 when 3-4" thick Plasma's were "much thinner" than CRT.