LG Rollable OLED TV is finally set to come out this year

Not a TV, just another expensive monitor. From TFA : "but he says that the TV is unlikely to include the ATSC 3.0 Tuner needed to one day receive 4K and HDR over-the-air broadcasts." IMO: no tuner = monitor

Not a TV, just another expensive monitor. From TFA : "but he says that the TV is unlikely to include the ATSC 3.0 Tuner needed to one day receive 4K and HDR over-the-air broadcasts." IMO: no tuner = monitor

Does it have Displayport though? IMO: no displayport = TV.

But yeah, these will be awesome if/when they become more affordable.

The only thing i can think of is why is a rollable TV necessary? I mean the reality is a large marjority of people buy a TV and leave it in its place for years at a time. The only move it to rearrange furniture other than that, not much changes. The convenience in this instance doesn't out weigh the cost. Also what are you sacrificing as far as panel quality to get the flexible display?

I have a picture window that is the best spot for a huge tv, but the sunlight is important to me.

Give me this puppy for 3 grand and I'm sold.

The only thing i can think of is why is a rollable TV necessary? I mean the reality is a large marjority of people buy a TV and leave it in its place for years at a time. The only move it to rearrange furniture other than that, not much changes. The convenience in this instance doesn't out weigh the cost. Also what are you sacrificing as far as panel quality to get the flexible display?

I could see it make sense mounted on the ceiling but having it on the floor is just asking for it to have a bunch of crap stacked on it that you have to move off before deploying especially with kids around. I'm excited for the applications of fold-able displays once they become affordable but this seems rather pointless for people outside the uber-rich that care more about their art than TV.

WAF, particularly rich WAF is important to some of those who can afford this.

I could see it make sense mounted on the ceiling but having it on the floor is just asking for it to have a bunch of crap stacked on it that you have to move off before deploying especially with kids around. I'm excited for the applications of fold-able displays once they become affordable but this seems rather pointless for people outside the uber-rich that care more about their art than TV.
I think they're shooting for the projector crowd. Obviously the current size isn't big enough, but if they can get these to 120" or larger, who wouldn't want a OLED over a projector?

I mean the 'uber rich' are a market as well. Not everything is designed for the peasant class.

It's just a separate box. Think about it. Flat display tech that is actually flat, the tuner electronics connects via a cable to a separate box. This box is the tuner, where all the inputs are, etc.

This tech will just make it so they can put video billboards and ads in places they couldnt before :(

Rollable, huh? I've always wanted to smoke a TV.
rollable not smokeable.

trade show display, ads? basically like mentioned above this post.

It's always been Wife Aggro Factor for me...
I have relatives that could afford it, but the wives definitely would not approve. Fuck, I wouldn't approve. It's 60k for a gen 1 TV. I wouldn't buy one for at least 2 or 3 years...then again, I bought a 4k OLED at the end of 2018, so I see no reason to replace it...for now.

It's not any more useful than a projector screen IMO. Just not needed to move around unless it's in an academic or workplace setting. I can see it being useful there but not at home.

This would be a good TV for the emergency party button.

But it has all the streaming apps built in because it's a "smart tv". That's definitely more than a monitor.

It's not any more useful than a projector screen IMO. Just not needed to move around unless it's in an academic or workplace setting. I can see it being useful there but not at home.
No, but it should look way better than a projector and I suspect projectors don't work well in rooms with day light, while a OLED functions fine like that. As I said above, I think this could become a projection replacement, once prices drop and the sizes increase.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
What does a trollable tv do?
Folds away like a projector when not in use but has far higher brightness than a projector...
Best of both worlds.
And no noisy fan/requiring a projection room or enclosure.

Folds away like a projector when not in use but has far higher brightness than a projector...
Best of both worlds.
And no noisy fan/requiring a projection room or enclosure.
I'm not sure I'd trust that these don't start to show wear after a year or earlier even. Hell samsung's foldable phones instantly showed bulging and unevenness where it folded.

I'm not sure I'd trust that these don't start to show wear after a year or earlier even. Hell samsung's foldable phones instantly showed bulging and unevenness where it folded.
These will have a much larger radius of curvature and will be more reliable but yes agreed... motorola has a far better design on this front.
Either way rich buyers will just bitch and moan and get the white glove warranty treatment.. or buy another one... or relegate it to use in the dog room/dorm/5rd lounge.

These will have a much larger radius of curvature and will be more reliable but yes agreed... motorola has a far better design on this front.
Either way rich buyers will just bitch and moan and get the white glove warranty treatment.. or buy another one... or relegate it to use in the dog room/dorm/5rd lounge.
Those type of people buy it as decoration anyway not for actual use.

like this
I think they're shooting for the projector crowd. Obviously the current size isn't big enough, but if they can get these to 120" or larger, who wouldn't want a OLED over a projector?

I would but that's why I would love it ceiling mounted, it would take up less space.

Actually you are on to somehing there. You step inside the circle and the screen comes down around you 360 degrees. Full virtual reality.

There's this room in Disneyland that has monitors all around you. Let's just say the handholds are there for a reason.

like this
They've apparently tested them for 50,000 rolling/unrolling cycles. If you rolled/unrolled 10x/day that's 14 years...way longer than you'll use the TV.

They've apparently tested them for 50,000 rolling/unrolling cycles. If you rolled/unrolled 10x/day that's 14 years...way longer than you'll use the TV.
They can't test them for aging. But if I had 60K for a TV I probably wouldn't care if I Had to throw it away in a few years.

They can't test them for aging. But if I had 60K for a TV I probably wouldn't care if I Had to throw it away in a few years.

Certainly they can and so do most companies. Environment and conditions can be changed to accelerate aging of products and components. We do plenty of that at my place of work.

Back