LG Quadrupling Down On The Headphone Jack With Four DACs

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
While a number of manufacturers are trying to move away from headphone jacks, LG appears to be doing the opposite and going the extra mile with their V20 phone, which has not one but four DACs. If I’m reading this correctly, some of the DACs will shut down if lower-quality content is played or connected to save power.

LG Electronics (LG) announced that its forthcoming flagship smartphone, LG V20, will be the first smartphone in the industry to feature 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC (digital to analog converter) capabilities, bringing a superior audio experience to mobile for the very first time. A Quad DAC delivers a crisp and clear sound that comes closest to a live performance when using compatible wired headphones. The sound is superior to that produced by a traditional DAC as it can reduce up to 50 percent of ambient noise levels. Videos taken with the V20 are accompanied by a soundtrack that can capture the roaring sound of waves crashing on a beach or conversations among two individuals at a noisy party.

And no matter what they do, it'll never sound as good as the original audio was when it was recorded in the first place. :)

All this audio placebo stuff is making my ears bleed these days. If people need an explanation, this is the best one in existence:

24/192 Music Downloads are Very Silly Indeed

And yes I realize the main purpose of all those DACs in the V20 are meant to assist with many things but, when it comes right down to it, 16-bit/44.1 kHz is more than enough in pretty much any situation. Audio is one place where big huge fucking numbers just don't actually improve things.

<dons_flame_retardant_suit>

when it comes right down to it, 16-bit/44.1 kHz is more than enough in pretty much any situation.

48kHz is nice for downsampling to 8kHz for telephone audio -- less sampling artifacts, although it's going to sound awful most of the time anyway :)

16-bit/44.1 kHz is more than enough in pretty much any situation. Audio is one place where big huge fucking numbers just don't actually improve things.

so agere. it funny that most people who think they need more bits/sample rate have no clue about how digital samples of audio works.
And people with golden ear that "can heat the differnce" never really wants to do that simple abx test you provide for them....

Why stop there? 64 Bit DAC's! And over clock them too! And bond them with Ecuadorean copper!

4 is starting to sound like a gimmick, but I can honestly say the DAC in the V10 improves sound surprisingly. Using $100 audio technicas, back to back, it's a huge improvement over my previous Note 2, and even beats my trusty old ZuneHD, which was my previous favorite.

Unfortunately most of my listening is over BT in the car, where the phone DAC is not utilized. Regardless, it has probably been the best phone I've owned, and I've had a lot.

Love the specs, might end up getting this over the Note 7.

Back