LG Preparing Ultra Wide AMD FreeSync IPS Monitors For Early 2015

LG_UM67_Monitor.jpg

SEOUL, Dec. 31, 2014 — LG Electronics (LG) will showcase its new 21:9 UltraWide monitor lineup at the 2015 International CES® in Las Vegas from January 6-9, highlighted by the world’s first UltraWide monitor compatible with AMD FreeSync technology to for fluid motion during fast gameplay. Based on IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly PC Monitor Tracker, LG is the world sales leader in this monitor segment, over the last seven fiscal quarters (as of Q3 2014) with a market share of 77.3 percent of the world’s 21:9 monitors.

21:9 UltraWide Gaming Monitor with AMD FreeSync Technology

LG 34UM67 is the company’s first 21:9 UltraWide Gaming Monitor specifically developed for graphics-intensive gaming. AMD’s FreeSync technology eliminates the screen tearing that occurs when the monitor and graphics card are out of sync. FreeSync technology guarantees the smoothest and most seamless gaming experience, generating fluid motion without any loss of frame rate.

“AMD FreeSync technology is an innovative monitor technology, based on free and open industry standards, to eliminate the tearing and stuttering that has plagued PC gaming for 30 years,” said Roy Taylor, corporate vice president of ISV/IHV Partner Group, AMD. “We are pleased that LG Electronics stands with us with truly exciting AMD FreeSync-ready displays like the LG UltraWide Gaming Monitor.”

The UltraWide Gaming Monitor also has an exceptional UltraWide field of view (FOV), allowing gamers to gain the upper hand by revealing hidden spaces that were invisible on regular 16:9 monitors. The monitor’s Black Stabilizer illuminates dark scenes and helps to clearly define the deep black areas where objects and enemies could be hidden. The Dynamic Action Sync mode minimizes input lag, making gameplay truly real time. Many popular games such as Battlefield 4, World of Warcraft and ArcheAge currently support 21:9 resolution with more games expected to support this resolution in the future.

World’s First Curved 34-inch 21:9 Monitor with Extensive Screen

LG’s curved 34-inch UltraWide monitor (Model 34UC97) in Quad HD resolution (3440 x 1440) makes maximum use of screen real estate. It allows creative professionals such as graphic designers or photographers to look at more images as thumbnails and media creators to see longer video image sequences or graphical representations of sound. Mac users will find the monitor particularly appealing as it is compatible with Thunderbolt™ 2, capable of high-speed bulk data transfers. The curved display further immerses users in their gaming experience.

Thanks to the 178-degree viewing angle of the In-Plane Switching (IPS) display which recreates colors across over 99 percent of the sRGB color space, there is no color distortion at any angle. The monitor’s color accuracy, viewing angle and sRGB color space have been certified by TÜV Rheinland and Intertek and also validated by UL.

21:9 Curved UltraWide Multi-Display for Enhanced Productivity

The 21:9 Curved UltraWide Multi-Display (Model 34UC87M) provides various multiple-display set-up options, raising productivity levels for stock traders and other financial professionals who need to keep track of large amounts of data simultaneously. This monitor can be used as a trading workstation or a large dashboard to display charts, quotes or pending orders on each screen, allowing the user to explore a wider range of opportunities.

Digital Cinema 4K Monitor for Superb Color Management

LG will also showcase the Digital Cinema 4K Monitor (Model 31MU97) featuring 4K resolution (4096 x 2160), with more pixels than normal Ultra HD resolution (3840 x 2160). Not only does it show 4K content as they were meant to be seen with native resolution, it is also well suited for handling Digital Intermediate (DI) processes. With over 99.5 percent Adobe Color Space, it is the ideal monitor for accurate color management.

“LG’s premium 21:9 UltraWide monitors are designed with the unique needs of consumers in mind,” said In-kyu Lee, senior vice president and head of the TV and monitor division at the LG Electronics Home Entertainment Company. “The industry has come a long way from the days when one display design was thought to be suitable for all users. With the amount of time we spend in front of monitors, there’s a lot of room for specialized monitors in our lives.”

Visitors are encouraged to stop by LG’s booth at CES 2015 (Las Vegas Convention Center, Central Hall #8204) from Jan. 6-9 to see LG’s innovative monitor lineup up close and personal.

http://lgnewsroom.com/newsroom/contents/64821

Last edited:
I returned my LG34UM94-P because of defects. but 21:9 is definitely in my heart and i will buy again in 2015 if things get ironed out.

Last edited:
Looks nice, but I'm guessing 60Hz since they don't mention refresh.

The G-Sync monitors are mostly 144Hz and 3D so there is still some extra value there.

Looks nice, but I'm guessing 60Hz since they don't mention refresh.

The G-Sync monitors are mostly 144Hz and 3D so there is still some extra value there.

As is always the case, different use-cases will find value here (with more real estate) over the faster response.

And for a tear-free (hopefully) experience, 60 and below is where most of the value comes in...

People should always get what will serve them best. For me, it will hopefully be this 3440 monitor next to my other 2560x1440 Overlord for 6000 pixels across for all my multitasking needs.

Nice, but I'm thinking of going for the Philips 40" VA instead. And I switched to a 970 so unless AMD comes up with a new better GPU first, that's what I'm going with. These 21:9 IPS panels sound good in theory, but in practice they've had bad glow and backlight issues and for my use 21:9 simply doesn't work half the time and I'd be stuck with a smaller 16:9 image.

Why don't they add all the goodies from tv such as full array and quantom dot. That would be nice for uniformity and colors.

Great news. Looks like the 3 yr warranty for my current LG 34" will come in handy when I head to Frys and exchange this light bleed mess for hopefully a non light bleed mess.

Nice.

Gonna keep watch on that 34" model when upgrade time comes!

"In addition to an impressively low latency figure for IPS which comes at or slightly under 5ms."

If they say so. Better IPS monitors have had latencies ~5ms the last several years.

Anyone know of any IPS/S-IPS/AH-IPS + GSync monitors, current or planned?

Hmm, none of the articles mention the curved ones getting adaptive sync. Looks like it's only the flat ones as of now. Hopefully they show off curved at actual ces. 34uc87 has been out for last couple months with the 34uc97 model.

Wait...what?

By the time you factor in water cooling with at minimum an all in one unit plus kraken g10 bracket and vrm heatsinks for the r9 290 and the cards themselves, to get lower performance and deal with the heat and noise for a crossfire rig, vs nicely predone cards with stock air in sli for nvidia Gtx 970 as a pair, he is actually right. You can get Gtx 970 cards for around 300 on deals or 330 to 340 each, x2 then normally. Compare to an r9 290 pair at 250 deal pricing plus another 30 g10 bracket, another 60 or so for an AIO cooler each, and 15 or so for vrm sinks, ($355 minimum total) as well as potentially extra fans or thermal paste, and it easily tops the per card price of a gtx 970 for sli/crossfire.

You can try running two r9 290 cards in an air-cooled system but the reviews paint a very ugly picture even with the custom cooled models of throttling, noise, excessive heat, and definitely no room for OC'ing due to throttling out of the box. And it still would be slower by a good margin. This is of course not even taking into account extras like MfAA and physx, or lower heat output into your room, lower power supply wattage needed, etc but just raw cost performance with similar noise and core temp levels.

Regarding adaptive sync monitors like these, I will believe it when it's released and purchase able. So far Freesync hasn't even had one working monitor demonstrated using it by amd or a manufacturer, let alone wide availability or reviews showing it works well. GSync is out and has been for over a year, is proven good, and on a variety of widely available monitors including 4k displays. I'd love to see Freesync turn out well and bring down pricing all around but so far it has been a marketing diversion as a sideshow by amd, with new "announcements" coming along every time new GSync news hits. :(

Last edited:
Regarding adaptive sync monitors like these, I will believe it when it's released and purchase able. So far Freesync hasn't even had one working monitor demonstrated using it by amd or a manufacturer, let alone wide availability or reviews showing it works well. GSync is out and has been for over a year, is proven good, and on a variety of widely available monitors including 4k displays. I'd love to see Freesync turn out well and bring down pricing all around but so far it has been a marketing diversion as a sideshow by amd, with new "announcements" coming along every time new GSync news hits. :(

Some skepticism is warranted but if their first announcement is Freesync 4K ultrawide IPS *and* curved you at least have to admit these guys are fucking going for it.

Edit: And a translucent stand. Over/under $1k?

IMO the Digital Cinema 4K is most interesting. Any word on input lag? If they can keep it reasonable (and manage to put a dual link DVI port on it) I might get one.

IMO the Digital Cinema 4K is most interesting. Any word on input lag? If they can keep it reasonable (and manage to put a dual link DVI port on it) I might get one.

I was under the impression that 4K and DVI were not viable (except at 30Hz). Or is that combination something that interests you?

I'm ready for DP 1.3 personally.

Unrelated, glad I remembered this board has an ignore list option. I'd never used it, but it really solved an issue I was having in various threads.

Other than the freesync flat monitor, all the other ones can be bought already. I really hope they announce a curved freesync monitor.

B&H
Amazon

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
One question, I can't find an answer for quickly...

Will Freesync work with Nvidia cards or will it fall under the category, Nvidia could easily add driver support (does it need driver support even being a VESA standard?) but refuse to do it since it would be a business suicide job for G-Sync? And if so, don't you think that would get a lot of hate towards Nvidia just to keep their technically inferior (it's expensier) G-sync as a selling point on the market since AMD has made it clear it's not limited to their products technically? Which would potentially also drive Nvidia to further develop G-Sync into something even better somehow so it would be worth the slight premium.

I'm a Nvidia user but I'd really wanna pickup a freesync/adaptive sync monitor, the pricing of G-sync monitors so far are nuts.

Last edited:
It would probably require at least a firmware update for current gpus if they were otherwise compatible. Which means that no support is coming until new GPUs or refreshes at the very least, even if Nvidia decided today that they're going to support FreeSync. More likely they won't support it and will try to push a G-Sync 2.0 instead next year.

It would probably require at least a firmware update for current gpus if they were otherwise compatible. Which means that no support is coming until new GPUs or refreshes at the very least, even if Nvidia decided today that they're going to support FreeSync. More likely they won't support it and will try to push a G-Sync 2.0 instead next year.

Damn it. :mad:

Does Freesync reduce lag? I know that the way that gsync works it helps to reduce lag to a certain extent am just wondering if Freesync claims to do this as well.

Is it true these solutions necessarily have a negative impact on image quality?

Is it true these solutions necessarily have a negative impact on image quality?

Where did you read that? When you say "is it true", I infer that you read that somewhere and I'd like to read the source of that notion.

But, the answer, specifically for you, is yes. These are not happening on CRTs, so it will definitely be a negative image quality adjustment for you.

I need to buy one of these monitors when they come out.

My business recently purchased 120 LG UM95 units (yes the bill was hefty but average employee productivity has increased 30%)

However I believe these new AMD FreeSync monitors by LG are much more suited for gaming.

Back