LG plugs NVIDIA G-Sync into its 2019 OLED TVs

Question since I’m late to this thread and and I’m not going to read every post does LG make a TV smaller than 55 inch with GSync or all the bells and whistles?

Question since I’m late to this thread and and I’m not going to read every post does LG make a TV smaller than 55 inch with GSync or all the bells and whistles?

No. But a 48” is supposed to be coming.

How is black smear on this display. I had that horrible 42" Asus VA panel and the black smear was intense. My OLED 15" Razer Blade Pro doesn't have any so I'm hopeful this display doesn't either.

OLED response time is so fast that it can show stuttering (where an LCD would not) at lower frame rates and lower frame rate video material. It doesn't have response time based black trailing (black "smearing") that a VA's slower response time has when the pixel redraw exceeds its response times. Black trailing still happens on modern gaming VAs that have the most excellent overdrive (like the LG 32gk850g) on the worst , that is slowest color transitions of blacks and greys and doesn't appear obnoxiously in gameplay but it still happens. The bar has been set high on the 32gk850g. On most of the other gaming monitors with worse overdrive implementations there is much worse black smearing happening on a larger % of middle transitions.

OLED still have sample and hold blur which is due to how our eyes work and it's just as bad as any other screen (outside of a really good CRT or perhaps using black frame insertion or strobing mode with their own, in my opinion massive, tradeoffs). When you run a high frame rate on a high hz monitor you can cut sample and hold blur down by about half from the smearing outside of the lines so to speak at 60fps solid on a 60hz+ monitor to more of a fuzzy "soften blur" at 120fps solid on a 120hz+ monitor. If you aren't reducing the sample and hold blur with high frame rates on a higher hz monitor, the smearing sample and hold blur is largely going to overshadow the black trailing of a good VA gaming screen.

There's hope for really high frame rates using much better interpolation technology someday in the future, along with very high Hz refresh rates but that's another discussion.

The problem other than the OLED size complaints now is that nvidia has no hdmi 2.1 output gpus that would support 120hz 4k at 10bit 444 chroma so monitor manufacturers are selling displayport 1.4 input 120hz 4k monitors at massive price hikes compared to other monitors and tvs and these monitors have to use 98hz, cut the 10bit color down to 8, use 422 chroma, or displayport compression (DSC) on monitors and gpus that support it since displayport 1.4 doesn't have enough bandwidth for full 4k 120hz 10bit 444 chroma in the first place.

I'm looking forward to a 3080ti 7nm that should hopefully have hdmi 2.1 output capable of displaying 4k 120hz 10bit 444, even though it is obviously going to be a long wait. I'm interested in trying a 55" OLED at 3840 x1600 or 3840 x1440 widescreen modes too. I'll also get a ps5 in 2020 that reportedly is going to support 120hz on performance mode capable games with console quasi 4k resolutions. If I had a hdmi 2.1 output gpu or PS5 coming any time soon I'd buy a 55" C9 on sale already but as it is I'll wait it out especially since I'd have to redo my whole pc room in order to sit 4' away from a 55" screen..

So I have my C9 hooked up to a 1080ti and can't get windows to do 10bit. I have it connected with a 48GB HDMI cable. Granted it is a 20' but I also tried it with a 6' and stays on 8bit. This is with HDR on in windows. Is this limited cause of the 1089ti and I need a 16xx or 20xx card to get 10 bit?

So I have my C9 hooked up to a 1080ti and can't get windows to do 10bit. I have it connected with a 48GB HDMI cable. Granted it is a 20' but I also tried it with a 6' and stays on 8bit. This is with HDR on in windows. Is this limited cause of the 1089ti and I need a 16xx or 20xx card to get 10 bit?
Your 1080 Ti doesn't have HDMI 2.1. You need hardware 2.1 ports on both ends of the video connection to use the full bandwidth. No video card on the market today has hardware HDMI 2.1. The update that was released for the TV and Turing only updated the data packets to carry VRR. HDMI 2.0 has always been limited to YCbCr 4:2:2 for 4K 60 Hz and 4:2:0 for faster refresh rates regardless of HDR.

OLED response time is so fast that it can show stuttering (where an LCD would not) at lower frame rates and lower frame rate video material. It doesn't have response time based black trailing (black "smearing") that a VA's slower response time has when the pixel redraw exceeds its response times. Black trailing still happens on modern gaming VAs that have the most excellent overdrive (like the LG 32gk850g) on the worst , that is slowest color transitions of blacks and greys and doesn't appear obnoxiously in gameplay but it still happens. The bar has been set high on the 32gk850g. On most of the other gaming monitors with worse overdrive implementations there is much worse black smearing happening on a larger % of middle transitions.

OLED still have sample and hold blur which is due to how our eyes work and it's just as bad as any other screen (outside of a really good CRT or perhaps using black frame insertion or strobing mode with their own, in my opinion massive, tradeoffs). When you run a high frame rate on a high hz monitor you can cut sample and hold blur down by about half from the smearing outside of the lines so to speak at 60fps solid on a 60hz+ monitor to more of a fuzzy "soften blur" at 120fps solid on a 120hz+ monitor. If you aren't reducing the sample and hold blur with high frame rates on a higher hz monitor, the smearing sample and hold blur is largely going to overshadow the black trailing of a good VA gaming screen.

There's hope for really high frame rates using much better interpolation technology someday in the future, along with very high Hz refresh rates but that's another discussion.

The problem other than the OLED size complaints now is that nvidia has no hdmi 2.1 output gpus that would support 120hz 4k at 10bit 444 chroma so monitor manufacturers are selling displayport 1.4 input 120hz 4k monitors at massive price hikes compared to other monitors and tvs and these monitors have to use 98hz, cut the 10bit color down to 8, use 422 chroma, or displayport compression (DSC) on monitors and gpus that support it since displayport 1.4 doesn't have enough bandwidth for full 4k 120hz 10bit 444 chroma in the first place.

I'm looking forward to a 3080ti 7nm that should hopefully have hdmi 2.1 output capable of displaying 4k 120hz 10bit 444, even though it is obviously going to be a long wait. I'm interested in trying a 55" OLED at 3840 x1600 or 3840 x1440 widescreen modes too. I'll also get a ps5 in 2020 that reportedly is going to support 120hz on performance mode capable games with console quasi 4k resolutions. If I had a hdmi 2.1 output gpu or PS5 coming any time soon I'd buy a 55" C9 on sale already but as it is I'll wait it out especially since I'd have to redo my whole pc room in order to sit 4' away from a 55" screen..
Thanks for this explanation. This helps tremendously. I'm eyeing the 65" C9 and going to put it on a stand now behind my desk and back up my entire desk to get a good viewing distance. Will see how it goes.

Your 1080 Ti doesn't have HDMI 2.1. You need hardware 2.1 ports on both ends of the video connection to use the full bandwidth. No video card on the market today has hardware HDMI 2.1. The update that was released for the TV and Turing only updated the data packets to carry VRR. HDMI 2.0 has always been limited to YCbCr 4:2:2 for 4K 60 Hz and 4:2:0 for faster refresh rates regardless of HDR.
Ah ok. I though 2.0 was capable of 4k60 at 10bit. Guess a 3080ti is in my future plans. Playing PC games on it is glorious.

Ah ok. I though 2.0 was capable of 4k60 at 10bit. Guess a 3080ti is in my future plans. Playing PC games on it is glorious.
You can get 10-bit color, just not full RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4. Regardless, I agree that gaming on an OLED is something else.

How is black smear on this display. I had that horrible 42" Asus VA panel and the black smear was intense. My OLED 15" Razer Blade Pro doesn't have any so I'm hopeful this display doesn't either.

Smearing is due to slow pixel color response on VA panels. OLEDs have essentially instant response times and it’s not a problem on the C9.

Smearing is due to slow pixel color response on VA panels. OLEDs have essentially instant response times and it’s not a problem on the C9.

OLEDs can have black smearing but it is caused by the time it takes to transition from a black "off’ pixel state to anything else. Basically the transition from off to on can cause a slight delay.

VAs for some reason tend to have slower dark transitions which effect a larger range of situations but the best are IMO just fine in this regard. I was looking at Samsung’s top FALD TVs at a store running a demo video and apart from a little bit more haloing I didn’t feel it was much worse than the LG OLEDs overall at least for the content played.

I’m tempted by the LG C9 as it is in a good sale right now in my country but I might wait another year to replace my 2016 Samsung.

Just pulled the trigger on my C9 65". I have to tell you that I haven't been this excited and thrilled with a display since my first 1080p Epson projector in 2007. This thing rocks even at 60hz 4k.
You will not be disappointed.

Sweet just picked up a new 55 to replace my old c6 set that's been PC only for the last two years. Playing around with it while I wouldn't say it a massive upgrade in pq it's definitely a nice jump and eaither its way brighter or my old one was loosing peak brightness the c9 is blinding at the same brightness. Also oled at 120fps is so smooth.

Anyone coming form an older oled do it you wont regret it.

As I've said before, I'm waiting for the first HDMI 2.1 capable GPUs to hit before upgrading my B6. But I'm eagerly awaiting doing so.

Back