LG Plans to Sell TVs That Roll Up like Posters in 2019

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

2019 could be the year of the flexible OLED: a source with Bloomberg claims that LG will begin selling their long-teased, rollable OLED next year, which was on display at last year’s CES. According to the source, the 65” display will “retract automatically at the touch of a button like a garage door.” Others point out it could be “rolled up and stuffed into a box when not in use.” Pricing isn’t yet known.

LG is counting on so-called “rollable” and OLED televisions to revive a consumer electronics business that’s grappling with price declines and stiffening Chinese competition. The South Korean conglomerate is shedding workers to streamline and refocus around future technologies, such as flexible displays. A prototype of the television displayed at LG’s research center in Seoul can be rolled up and stuffed into a box when not in use.

2. piscian18

piscian18 [H]ardForum Junkie

It's funny I remember when OLED was first being studied as a technology they'd talked about this as well as the next step which would be OLED labeled clothing. It's a weird time to be alive when you grew up with a rotary phone.

Rahh and Shadowed like this.
  3. Probleminfected

Probleminfected [H]ard|Gawd

I know what I’m getting Christmas 2028!

4. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

Do they have high quality speakers that can roll up too? Otherwise I'm gonna have a blank space on my walls between a bunch of martin logans

MrGuvernment and Skyblue like this.
  5. Galvin

Galvin 2[H]4U

I'm not really interested in oled since it doesn't have a very long life time

6. Unter Dog

Unter Dog Limp Gawd

Yep need a "wife proof" TV also. Only took me one burned plasma and one burned OLED to learn. Yes they are burned in, not image retention.

7. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

Prepare to take it up the ass for these in terms of pricing.

8. HAL_404

HAL_404 Limp Gawd

I had the privilege of experiencing the "party line" and as a kid I found it was a great way for eaves dropping on what your neighbors were saying about you or the parents, etc :rolleyes:

yea, I too would like a 65" OLED roll-up to be $100 when released

Wrecked Em likes this.
  9. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Oh absolutely, because at the end of the day 99% of the customers out there don't fucking need a TV that can roll up. And those 1% that do like their "movie theater" setup to have a retractable TV... well they'll probably figure a high def projector and screen is such a better value without losing too much.

10. clockdogg

clockdogg Gawd

B-b-but think of the AV thieves - a roll-up big ass TV will make it so their Life's Good and getaways easier too.
    :D

11. nutzo

nutzo [H]ardness Supreme

Actually I can see a big demand for these at shows.
    It's not cheap to ship 40-50" screens around the country. The cases and shipping costs really add up.
    Something like this is much smaller and lighter, and with it rolled up, the case would also be smaller & lighter, making it much cheaper to ship.

12. Iratus

Iratus [H]ard|Gawd

And the point would be what?

It’s the same as the BS with the LG wallpaper, you’re solving a problem no one cares about. Like it’s “cool” but once I’ve put it on the wall I don’t care about a few mm difference, so it comes down to not needing a tv inset putting between the studs, which is half a days work yourself or a couple of hundred dollars.

There’s a few niches where it would be useful but niches won’t solve the problem they have, they need to get mass market.

13. Shadowed

Shadowed Limp Gawd

Moving a heavy TV can be pretty tough, especially when you're old. Having a light roll up TV may be pretty convenient.

14. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

Screw you guys. I'm rollin-up my TV and goin home!

Rahh, Wrecked Em and Shadowed like this.
  15. BSmith

BSmith [H]ard|Gawd

Not impressed. That ginormous box it rolls up into is bigger and bulkier than the television hanging on my wall. You are not going to rollup a power supply and al the connectors needed.

16. zrikz

zrikz Gawd

This would be great for work, we ship a 65" TV like once or twice a month for demos, etc. Outside of that, I don't see the point other than the cool factor. Although I can just imagine the pain in the ass it'll be when the tv roller gets jammed / stuck half way through the unrolling process. Small moving parts sounds horrible.