LG Patents Smartphone Design with Wrap-Around Screen

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

The flexibility of OLED technology is letting engineers and designers go wild with how they integrate displays into hardware, and LG has inadvertently given us a look at what could be the world’s first smartphone with a double-sided screen. This is the part where I ask if anyone can come up with a scenario in which this would actually be useful, aside from letting everyone around you know who you are texting or what website you are browsing.

It's not a secret that LG is exploring the possibilities offered by curved OLED display behind closed doors. These patent drawings show LG working on an original design that sees the display wrap around the smartphone's upper body, resulting in a virtually two-screen device. The bottom part features a circular element that could be a camera lens, fingerprint sensor, or home button. The phone's sides have no buttons, such as power or volume. The patent's existence doesn't prove that LG will ever release a smartphone like this, but it's refreshing to see the company conceptualizing new phones that use cutting-edge technology.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. Gigus Fire

Gigus Fire 2[H]4U

nice. I want a curved oled screen on the inside of some vr goggles, lets call it the vive 2

3. Gigus Fire

Gigus Fire 2[H]4U

As for the usefulness... hmm....
    some distopian cubicle where there's no wall but another person across from you and you "share" the same screen?
    Maybe some high tech fighter pilot where the canopy doubles as a massive hud and visual camaflage where it changes the outside display to blend in with clouds or something?
    Maybe some office settings where you have monitors on a desk and you want to show the person sitting across from you the screen without having them sit behind the desk with you?

4. Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins [H]Lite

Woot, more ways to drop and shatter a screen! Good thinking, LG!

5. CVNet1

CVNet1 [H]ard|Gawd

I knew technology would eventually enable Battleship to be played by 2 people with only 1 smartphone between them. This is awesome. I'm so excited. Single Phone 2-player Battleship is no longer going to be vapor-ware... Wrap around screen Smart Phones... a sure sign of MAGA and MSPSGA (sps = smart phone screens)

6. rudy

rudy [H]ardForum Junkie

This way when you are on your phone your phone can flash advertisements to the people around you, maybe they will even pay you to allow that, probably not.

7. Ducman69

Ducman69 [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm sure there are plenty of uses... off the top of my head:

1) Utilize a single more expensive camera, that can be used for selfies and traditional style and yet still be able to use the screen for aiming.

2) Have traditional front and rear facing cameras, but allow both the photographer and subject to see what the picture will look like.

3) Take 360o photos and videos for VR, and be able to scroll through the photos and see both the forward and rear facing camera pictures outside of the VR/360o viewer environment.

4) For pictures, the LCD can light up white full brightness for a "soft" flash which allows people's eyes to adjust in low-light

5) Use a vertical docking charger which can be placed somewhere centrally, and be able to see incoming calls and what not from multiple viewing angles (such as on a open concept kitchen bar counter).

6) Pure aesthetic appeal, having the back LCD be an active wallpaper or picture so that it looks cool in the wearers hand while in use, and is more personalized. Like a stylized case, but better.

8. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis 2[H]4U

9. Geef

Geef Limp Gawd

The exact use of this is to be able to hold your phone in the direction of someone you don't like and have it say: F*** You with a pic of a hand flipping him off, and you don't have to tell them to "hey look at my phone" since they will see the other side where its showing up.
    A screen on two sides might also cost a lot of extra power. So you can count on it to have about half the time before needing a recharge.