LG L246WP - Backlight Dimming

GCTonyHawk7

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I've currently got a setup with two 24 inch LG L246WP monitors. They were bought (November 2007) and manufactured (April 2007) at the same time. They have been great, although over the past year or so I have noticed a gradually increasing issue with one of them.

difference-lg.jpg

As you can see, I've got them set up right next to each other and use this as an extended desktop. As you can also see, they are displaying the same exact image, and both are at 100% brightness. Notice anything about one of them?

The monitor on the right has been gradually getting dimmer with time. I keep it set at 100% brightness, and in order to match it, I have been lowering the brightness of the left one. Currently, I have the left one set at about 52 to match the brightness of the right one. When I first started, for this same effect, I had it on 76.

In general, the backlight appears to be dimming with time. I actually like the look of the displays at a brightness of around 85-90, but as stated, I have to keep the left one at 52 to match the right one at 100. I realize this is an issue you could only notice by having two right next to each other, but it is an annoying issue for someone that spent over $1000 on monitors. I do graphic design and photography work, so the color accuracy and brightness needs to be consistent between the two.

------------------------------------------------

My basic questions are:

- Is this normal? Do most LCDs get dimmer over time?

- Is this able to be repaired by myself? Is it just like changing a light bulb?

- Will LG repair this, or will I be forced to get a replacement monitor? (They ARE under warranty still)

- IF LG were to feel generous and replace both screens, are there any newer IPS or MVA 24+ in screens from LG?

------------------------------------------------

Thanks for any support or insight you can provide.

I have the exact same monitor and no, it is not like changing a light bulb and it is not something you can do on your own. Even though they're under warranty, I do remember there have been people back in 2008 getting exchanges since these are discountinued but with TN panels. I fear this will be the same in your case and there's not much you can do about it.

I have the exact same monitor and no, it is not like changing a light bulb and it is not something you can do on your own. Even though they're under warranty, I do remember there have been people back in 2008 getting exchanges since these are discountinued but with TN panels. I fear this will be the same in your case and there's not much you can do about it.

That really sucks. I can see them being kind enough to replace both, but I bet it will be one of their new ugly TN paneled things. Why have monitors gotten worse over the years? :eek:

They get dimmer with time like clockwork. I don't think warranty will cover loss of brightness which is expected.

Any chance that you used one more than the other? Is there a way to display hours of usage on them?

Running them at 100% will accelerate the wear as well. Right now with you turning one up to match it will speed up the decline on the dimmer one.

They get dimmer with time like clockwork. I don't think warranty will cover loss of brightness which is expected.

Any chance that you used one more than the other? Is there a way to display hours of usage on them?

Running them at 100% will accelerate the wear as well. Right now with you turning one up to match it will speed up the decline on the dimmer one.

I would say they have both been used the same amount. Although, only one difference comes to mind. The Windows Vista/7 logon screen does not support multiple monitors, and therefore only shows a black screen on the right side. Any chance that having a solid-black screen displayed for extended time would affect the brightness? I would almost think it should have the opposite effect.

I actually contacted LG about 6 months ago on the matter; I decided I could live with it, hoping it wouldn't get worse. They were more than happy to replace the monitor, although they couldn't offer any sort of guarantee as to what the replacement would be. (likely one of their crappy TN panels)

Since the right-side one is already dimmer than I'd like at 100%, it wouldn't make much sense to lower it even more. Even if this would increase the life of the display, it would force me to use it at a dimmer setting that I want to.

Thanks for the replies guys. :)

I feel dumb for even asking this, but couldn't you simply switch the monitors around until the bright one matches the dim one?

LCDs do dim over time. Do you leave them on 24/7?

Just out of curiousity, do this:

1. Turn off monitor
2. Hold down the MENU button
3. Turn the monitor back on while holding it

The menu mode will be replaced with the service menu, that details these options:

NVRAM intial OFF
ADC Calib. - RGB
ADC Calib. - COMP
Aging Mode: OFF
Elapsed Time Clear
White Balance

I'd be curious to see if all of those settings are the same on both monitors. I've tried to google what Aging Mode is but with no luck. The "Elapsed Time Clear" suggests that the monitor will display elapsed time somewhere (perhaps in the regular menu); if so, how many hours on each monitor?

I feel dumb for even asking this, but couldn't you simply switch the monitors around until the bright one matches the dim one?

LCDs do dim over time. Do you leave them on 24/7?

Just out of curiousity, do this:

1. Turn off monitor
2. Hold down the MENU button
3. Turn the monitor back on while holding it

The menu mode will be replaced with the service menu, that details these options:

NVRAM intial OFF
ADC Calib. - RGB
ADC Calib. - COMP
Aging Mode: OFF
Elapsed Time Clear
White Balance

I'd be curious to see if all of those settings are the same on both monitors. I've tried to google what Aging Mode is but with no luck. The "Elapsed Time Clear" suggests that the monitor will display elapsed time somewhere (perhaps in the regular menu); if so, how many hours on each monitor?

I don't think switching them would really help.

That is a neat trick, never knew about the service menu. I checked the menus for both, and the left one (brighter one) has a timer of 5780 hours, while the right (dimmer) one has 5880. So, the right one does have a few hours on the left, but not a huge difference. I turned on aging mode... no clue what that will do that. Guess we will see. All the other settings were exactly the same.

Best quote on what "aging mode" does that I could find was here:

"Aging mode normally means the TV will take into account how old it is, and will adjust itself to compensate. For example as the backlight ages it will dim, so the TV will up the brightness gradually over the TVs life time so it looks the same. If the TV is fairly new then turning it off will not make much difference as it would not have had to start compensating for anything yet."

just a heads up for you about Lg and their monitor policies. first off i also have the Lg 246wp-bn. lg policy is to provide a refurbished monitor of equal or better value. they dont fix yours. they recycle it into the pile of available screens unless youre lucky. so you may send in a bezel in pristine condition and get one back with scratches all over it. i went back and forth for about 4 months with this crap when mine went dead. with all the crap and bitching with them i somehow ended up with 3 screens because of their incompetence. unfortunately one of them is not an L246wp and its just a pos 22"...darnit. i was so close lol. this was the best monitor on the market when it was being made, but lg has since gone into the toilet so i wont be buying their stuff anymore.
in the end the 2 screens i have herealso have their little issues...one is overbright and one has a slight muted colortone(white is greyed a bit compared to the other screen). so now im debating whether or not to use them both in a dual setup or give the second one to someone else. how practical is having a dual screen setup??

just a heads up for you about Lg and their monitor policies. first off i also have the Lg 246wp-bn. lg policy is to provide a refurbished monitor of equal or better value. they dont fix yours. they recycle it into the pile of available screens unless youre lucky. so you may send in a bezel in pristine condition and get one back with scratches all over it. i went back and forth for about 4 months with this crap when mine went dead. with all the crap and bitching with them i somehow ended up with 3 screens because of their incompetence. unfortunately one of them is not an L246wp and its just a pos 22"...darnit. i was so close lol. this was the best monitor on the market when it was being made, but lg has since gone into the toilet so i wont be buying their stuff anymore.
in the end the 2 screens i have herealso have their little issues...one is overbright and one has a slight muted colortone(white is greyed a bit compared to the other screen). so now im debating whether or not to use them both in a dual setup or give the second one to someone else. how practical is having a dual screen setup??

Interesting. So they would likely just replace it with a crappy, used, LG 246WP? I don't want one with new issues... I want a perfect one with no issues. :rolleyes:

Having two screens is completely vital for me. I am sure most other people around here would agree with that. I'm actually sick of having two and am convinced I need an addition 30in. Too bad college is eating all my money!

Interesting. So they would likely just replace it with a crappy, used, LG 246WP? I don't want one with new issues... I want a perfect one with no issues. :rolleyes:

Having two screens is completely vital for me. I am sure most other people around here would agree with that. I'm actually sick of having two and am convinced I need an addition 30in. Too bad college is eating all my money!

not necessarily a crappy one, but you have that risk because they just repair the ones that come in and sent you a replacement from the repaired stock they have. for instance the one i sent in originally had a bezel which had ZERO marks, including the base. the screen also had no markings or any problems with it either. both screens i got in the end as replacements have minor bezel scratches and the bases are marked. the first replacement they sent to me had a huge gouge in the bezel and i had a palm-sized part of the screen that was a "darkened blob". i was pretty pissed about this whole thing as i purposely paid good money a few years back because the L246 was considered a topline monitor for gaming. its still ok but now i kinda feel violated and cheated about the whole thing as i know its not the one i took very good care of. in doing some research about it i found that some other manufacturers do the same thing. samsung changed their policy last year to be repair or replace, not refurb. gee i wonder why. i just wish these companies would keep inhouse techs for this stuff instead of outsourcing it. this is the main reason for all the problems.

so you say 2 screens are vital?? im just curious...why would you say that? what do you do mainly with your system? my desk right now wont afford me to put 2 screens side by side, and the only way ill sacrifice the hutch is for eyefinity but thats not anytime soon. so i can have the second screen about 2ft off to the right of the main screen. im just wondering if its worth keeping it hooked up or not.

Just because having two gives you more screen space. You can have Firefox open while you are using Photoshop on the other. You can watch a video in full screen and still IM with people on the other. Stuff like that; it would be impossible for me to live with only one now.

I use it for web browsing, IMing, graphic design work, and some video editing.

Just because having two gives you more screen space. You can have Firefox open while you are using Photoshop on the other. You can watch a video in full screen and still IM with people on the other. Stuff like that; it would be impossible for me to live with only one now.

I use it for web browsing, IMing, graphic design work, and some video editing.

well since ive plugged the second one in 2 days ago, im becoming more and more open to having a second screen even though its spaced out from the mian one. i have it on a small table (same height) but theres about an 18" gap between the 2 screens. the one on the right i have at about a 45 degree angle so i can see it better. i think it would be nicer to have them closer together so i didnt have to take my eyes off one to see the other, but ill live with this for now.

Back