LG L246WP 24" display shifted to the left Nvidia 8.15.11 driver- EVGA GTX 260

calikool

[H]ard|Gawd
I just installed my EVGA GTX 260. Boot into Vista and my LG 24" monitor display is shifted 3" to the left.

I did some google searching and came across a few forums and this one describe the issue. Nvidia 169 forceware drivers were the culprit then and were identifying the my specific LG montior as and HDTV vs. LCD computer monitor. Something to do with the HDMI - to - DVI connection. They posted a fix.

During the driver extraction you need to stop the installation. Go to the directory with the driver files and modify nv_disp.inf file.

However, I am using the latest Nvidia 8.15.11 64bit drivers. The solution posted covers 169 forceware drivers. The .inf file does not have a section called nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings for you to type in the extra information.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

Last edited:
I found the solution thanks. I was able to get my specific monitor settings using this guide from the post.

I was able to get the settings using the software Phoenix EDID Designer.

Once that was done, I followed this guys logic here. Created my own registry key that the installation was supposed to do but failed.

1. Open regedit and navigate to the key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000

-- in the case of nvidia's 185.85 my key had 0001. No big deal it still worked.

2. Create a new Binary Value and name it: OverrideEdidFlags0

3. Type in the same hexadecimal string you would use in bryanb's method. For my LG I used: 1E 6D 3f 56 00 00 ff ff 04 00 00 00 7e 01 00

--Just modify your own data for the monitor that has issues from using the previous EDID editor.

4. Close regedit and restart. My LG came right up in DVI mode (instead of HDMI-PC) and was centered like it should be.

--This worked like a charm.

Last edited:
Should this be moved to the General Hardware / trouble shooting section?

Maybe the Display section since it's in regards to your monitor.

Anyways, I had a similar issue where I had to add a line of code to the .INF file in order to get my monitor to display a clear picture. Kind of sucks because I have to do it every time I install a new driver. :mad:

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to having to do that. I may have to export the registry key and then it won't be as much of a hassle.

I'm using the 186.18 drivers. When I go into the NV_Disp ini, there is no section titled "nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings". Is there another section I should be looking for. I am installing the drivers for 285 GTX with a L246 LG monitor. Thanx.

They changed it to [nv_commonRestrictionsAndTiming_addreg] in that series of drivers

add it to that section

Hey thanks. I will try that when I get off work. I sure hope this works because I like my LG 246 and I don't want to send this card back, even if I did watch UPS drop it while getting of the truck lol.

I just tried changing the values in the driver. Still have the same problem. I saw in another forum where someone showed how to change the registry to fix the same problem and that did not work either.
Any other suggestions.
Here is a picture of the problem. I had started another thread in the Nvidia section but this thread is more active and I am getting more responses.

img0679g.jpg

Last edited:
With dual monitors, you might need to use the key OverrideEdidFlags1 instead of OverrideEdidFlags0.

I have both a 245 & 246 LG monitor, and have both of them working. The main problem is getting regedit to open when I can't see the start menu.

Thanx for the reply. I currently only have the LG monitor hooked up the the 285. The other monitor is connected to a different system.
You can hit the "windows" key and "R" to pull up the run window.

Hell yeah I finally got it. When I ran Pheonix EDID I had chosen the wrong profile.
now everything is working. Thanx for the help from everyone.

With dual monitors, you might need to use the key OverrideEdidFlags1 instead of OverrideEdidFlags0.

I have both a 245 & 246 LG monitor, and have both of them working. The main problem is getting regedit to open when I can't see the start menu.

Like cocheese256 mentioned the windows key + r is just one way. The other is right click on the taskbar and choose taskmanager. Then click on the new task button and choose:
cmd -- command shell
explorer -- to get to some files
iexplore -- to spawn your IE application.

That's easy to get around that.

Today I upgraded to the Nvidia 186.18 drivers. Of course my LG monitor went back to being shifted to the left. I followed my previously posted instrucions after the driver installation. The only variance was that the key was not in "0000" but "0001" this time.
I added the hexcode back to the new binary key you have to create and I'm back in business.

I have two monitors so the OverrideEdidFlags0 key works just fine.

Last edited:
Your registry hack did the trick and I finally got my LG L246WP running correctly with my 8400GS on Vista64. Kinda lame that you need to do this, but I guess whatever works. Thx again!

Your registry hack did the trick and I finally got my LG L246WP running correctly with my 8400GS on Vista64. Kinda lame that you need to do this, but I guess whatever works. Thx again!

Hey, I have to do it on my Westinghouse (and soon to be L246WP-BN). So it's either I stick doing this or go with a TN panel (ew..);)

Does anyone know how to fix this exact same issue on an ATI-powered laptop? My laptop is an X1200, and does this same thing. I've added the keys to 0000 and 0001. I've used Flags0 and Flags1, to no avail. Catalyst shows "DTV (HDMI(tm))" as my connected monitor. When I plug it into another, newer, flatpanel it properly shows DVI. Any advice?

Windows 7 32 bit. Latest driver from windows update.

Unfortunately I don't know if this trick will work with tha ATI. I did just update to 191.07 and had to do my little trick again. It's a pain but necessary. I still like this monitor. I wish I could get another one.

calikool I have the evga gtx 260 core 216 and the same monitor you have (the L246WP), I stopped installation of my drivers (version 191.07) and tried to edit nv_disp.inf, but I couldn't find the section called "nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings". Where do I edit this file?

Also I used regedit to add the "OverrideEdidFlags0" binary value, but when I restart my PC, I still have the same issue where the screen is shifted 3" to the left. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

calikool I have the evga gtx 260 core 216 and the same monitor you have (the L246WP), I stopped installation of my drivers (version 191.07) and tried to edit nv_disp.inf, but I couldn't find the section called "nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings". Where do I edit this file?

Also I used regedit to add the "OverrideEdidFlags0" binary value, but when I restart my PC, I still have the same issue where the screen is shifted 3" to the left. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I haven't reviewed this thread for awhile. Did you use the Phoenix EDID Designer software to get the HEX code for the monitor? I have mine posted and it should be the same. The first link to the Nvidia forums menions the nv_disp.inf file. However, I would just find the registry key that I posted and add the new value I described.

Hopefully you were able to get this working since it has been some time since the last post.

There's a dedicated L246WP (Monitor Forum) thread with all these fixes posted.

There's a dedicated L246WP (Monitor Forum) thread with all these fixes posted.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Looks like with recent Nvidia driver updates I haven't had to keep doing this registy hack to get my monitor to look correctly.

I do have bad news. My LG L246WP is basically dying. The montior will flicker and will have a hard time turning on. The blue light that illuminates letting you know that power is flowing to the monitor continues to blink. The monitor appears to be auto-switching through hdmi / vga outputs trying to find the signal. It would take about 2 minutes for the monitor to come back on.

Now the blue power button some flashes and I never get a picture. I may have to go shopping ofr a new monitor now. Major Bummer!

I'm so glad I'm not dealing with this bullshit anymore. I got really tired of having to constantly fix it after installing new drivers

Ya we tried everything. Clean install windows 7. Tried every setting in ccc

The EDID Linux trick works for any video card amd or Nvidia as it deletes the flag that causes the issue. Wife is using a 280x with no issue after the EDID fix.

This is a really old thread. The original fix just disables the extension block. This is easy to do now with CRU.

Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

Simply choose "Custom extension block" and click OK. Then reboot and it should be fixed.

@%&# I wish I had seen this first! The EDID trick did nothing for me. Never had a problem with my nvidia cards, but I switched over to a 390x and suddenly had the problem. I still have this as my 2nd monitor.

This is a really old thread but I finally found an end all fix. Long story short you have to change a few values in the EDID. The walkthrough requires a portable linux distro and a connection to the monitor (I used HDMI and it worked for me)

Worked great. Glad you posted that, tyvm!

Back