LG L246W

I am using the same lead aswell.
What i have found after i nuke the pc with updates turned off is that windows or something installs something, in turn pulls the screen to the left, what i think is it's 100% fault of this monitor or rather LG and nothing to do with Nvidia/AMD anyway.

I cannot wait to throw this monitor away after i put a huge hole in the middle of the screen when i can afford a new monitor.

I am now looking at the BenQ XL2410T 23.6" Widescreen 120HZ LED 3D Ready LCD, just because it's priced right.

The newest NVIDIA drivers (270.61) seemed to have fixed the shifting issue for me. By accident I forgot to edit the nv_disp.inf file.

The only problem now is that the scaling setting gets locked at using the display's built-in scaling, so I had to go back to using the nv_disp.inf hack to get it to work again. If you don't play games below 1920x1200 then this shouldn't be a problem. The problem with the built-in scaling is that it doesn't set 4:3 aspect ratios correctly.

BTW, the registry hack only stays in place if you don't do a clean install.

I've had this monitor for 4 years and it's still going strong. It's just too bad that it has these annoying issues.

I have also learned from peoples comments that the screen works perfectly using GPU's GTX 460 and above?. I am using GTX 275 in SLi. Can anyone enlighten us on this?.

The screen is still shifting to the left while hooked up to two of my AMD cards with HDMI.

Edit:
PC 1. has a 6950. When hooked up via HDMI the screen shifts. When hooked up using the DVI - HDMI cable the screen is fine.
PC 2. has a on-board 4250. When hooked up via HDMI the screen shifts. When hooked up using the DVI - HDMI cable the screen is fine.
PC 3. GT240. When hooked up via HDMI the screen shifts. When hooked up using the DVI - HDMI cable the screen is fine.

So it seems as the implementation of HDMI is screwy with this monitor. Do other monitors have this problem?

Last edited:
So it seems as the implementation of HDMI is screwy with this monitor. Do other monitors have this problem?
I've always had mine hooked up via DVI - HDMI and the screen shift occurred going as far back to my 8800 GTS. When I upgraded to a Radeon 4850 everything was fine. When I got a GTX 260 the problem was back, but it seems to be fixed with my current GTX 460.

I want to know why hooking the monitor up via DVI-HDMI cable works fine but when you hook it up via HDMI it goes back to shifting to the left.

The screen is still shifting to the left while hooked up to two of my AMD cards with HDMI.

Edit:
PC 1. has a 6950. When hooked up via HDMI the screen shifts. When hooked up using the DVI - HDMI cable the screen is fine.
PC 2. has a on-board 4250. When hooked up via HDMI the screen shifts. When hooked up using the DVI - HDMI cable the screen is fine.
PC 3. GT240. When hooked up via HDMI the screen shifts. When hooked up using the DVI - HDMI cable the screen is fine.

Thnx for the info, so atleast i have learned from this is that i need to buy a new GTX 560Ti or better, or atleast 2 GTX 460 1GB in SLi to have this problem fixed.

I want to know why hooking the monitor up via DVI-HDMI cable works fine but when you hook it up via HDMI it goes back to shifting to the left.

I bought a 460GTX-768MB and hooked mine up via DVI-HDMI and it shifted to the left and had a horrible glow around white things. I tried to edit the .inf, but those instructions seemd to be written for Vista/7 and I'm still on XP. I manually added a registry value and fixed the problem.

I bought a 460GTX-768MB and hooked mine up via DVI-HDMI and it shifted to the left and had a horrible glow around white things. I tried to edit the .inf, but those instructions seemd to be written for Vista/7 and I'm still on XP. I manually added a registry value and fixed the problem.

Your still on XP, WTF?:eek:

I have had a 7 disk since the student deal, but I haven't had a reason to install it what with a DX9 video card and a C2Duo era computer. I think I'll be buying an SSD in a bit and reformating to 7 since this XP install is showing its age.

OTOH, XP EDID problems can be fixed by adding the same registry file!

I'm having the HDMI display shift problem with my new e350 & this monitor. Unfortunately the EDID fixes don't seem to be working. Anyone have any ideas?

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. I did add those flags directly to the registry and to all the folders. I think maybe that method doesn't work for AMD chips?

I just recently took this monitor to work. I would have kept it if I could have purchased two more new just like it for surround gaming. I feel the picture quality was better than the three HP ZR24s that I purchased to replace it.

My monitor has completely lost it, I have to run in 1920x1080 to make the panel even usable.
If I run at 1920x1200, artifacting everywhere, screen flickers black constantly. Only a matter of time before it dies entirely.

hearing all these reports of long term reliability problems, im rather glad that I sold mine. if i had kept it, it was liable to just die after awhile anyway.

It's a pretty old monitor and you're more likely to see people posting failures rather than, "May 27th, 2011 and it still works," posts.

Mine still works but I kind of want it to die to I can get something else. :)

Does anyone have some tips for disassembly? The bezel seems to be a pain to get off.

It is a right pain, especially without the manual. I can send you the repair manual (djvu file) if you want, just pm me your email.

here's the image from when I fixed it, the caps were obviously bulging, and they were in the right circuit to explain the problems I had before they outright failed.

Symptoms: Have to push power button repeatedly to get the monitor to turn on, gradually getting worse over a few days/weeks to the point where it will not turn on.

Edit: I quoted my previous post so you can go back in the thread to read about the problem and solution without having to search :)

Last edited:
here's the image from when I fixed it, the caps were obviously bulging, and they were in the right circuit to explain the problems I had before they outright failed.

Symptoms: Have to push power button repeatedly to get the monitor to turn on, gradually getting worse over a few days/weeks to the point where it will not turn on.

Edit: I quoted my previous post so you can go back in the thread to read about the problem and solution without having to search :)

Where is the link describing the problem? I saw the picture but it looks like you already replaced the capacitors.

I had the exact same issue. It starts mainly because the monitor goes into permanent sleep, which requires you to power cycle daily. 3 years later, I noticed that the monitor would take longer to start up, and soon I had the on/off problem where the monitor would have to warm up for 10 minutes(auto-cycling) before it could be used. Damp air made this problem worse.

After about 1 month, it refused to turn on. I popped my LG246WP open, saw both caps bulging. Replaced with Rubycon 3300uf 25v caps (10 pack $10 at Amazon). Monitor turns on nearly instantly now and w/o any issue.

Hi all,

I read this forum long time ago, because I had this display shifted issue with HDMI, too..
Used Nvidia card, there was driver hack, OK.
Used Ati card, there was CCC solution, OK.

But a few months ago I use integrated Intel GMA4500 and with that all reg hack were useless..

So.. I did it, changed the monitor EDID info IN the monitor and fixed the problem. Forever.
No more driver mod, no more registry hack. It is working. :)

Of, course, if this solution was here earlier, then, sorry... :)

Hi all,

I read this forum long time ago, because I had this display shifted issue with HDMI, too..
Used Nvidia card, there was driver hack, OK.
Used Ati card, there was CCC solution, OK.

But a few months ago I use integrated Intel GMA4500 and with that all reg hack were useless..

So.. I did it, changed the monitor EDID info IN the monitor and fixed the problem. Forever.
No more driver mod, no more registry hack. It is working. :)

Of, course, if this solution was here earlier, then, sorry... :)

Can you please explain how you did that?

Yes, of course, but do it carefully and make backup!

Solution for L245WP/L246WP:

1. Export existing EDID -> in Raylar EDID DAT format (Phoenix, monInfo, SoftMCSS)
2. Modify EDID -> extension blocks = 0, don't mod other data! (create backup, open with Phoenix EDID editor, than save)
3. Monitor service menu -> Aging mode = ON (service mode: turn monitor Off, press menu while turn On)
4. Full version of Powerstrip - Monitor properties, Update EDID (should be only HDMI-DVI connected, it's simpler to select the right EEPROM), choose the modded file
5. Restart

This extension blocks data were overwritten with registry hacks, so, that is software solution and this is the hardware version. :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
One more addon.. There is of course two EDID in the monitor as in the registry. One for the analogue and one for the digital input. So, you have to choose the right one for export, edit and import.

Is there any other program besides powerstrip that will do the EDID update? Powerstrip crashes on startup on my zacate.

Dunno.. I didn't find any.
Try another version.. Or get somehow another PC/laptop and try with that..

I had the exact same issue. It starts mainly because the monitor goes into permanent sleep, which requires you to power cycle daily. 3 years later, I noticed that the monitor would take longer to start up, and soon I had the on/off problem where the monitor would have to warm up for 10 minutes(auto-cycling) before it could be used. Damp air made this problem worse.

After about 1 month, it refused to turn on. I popped my LG246WP open, saw both caps bulging. Replaced with Rubycon 3300uf 25v caps (10 pack $10 at Amazon). Monitor turns on nearly instantly now and w/o any issue.

Do you have the LG Service repair manual? I think my monitor my have the same capacitors messed up. I haven't disassembled the LG before. What's the best way to go about identifying if it is the capacitors? How bad of a bulge was it?

Back