LG L246W

I can't get my L246WP to display a 1080p signal from DirecTV. I can get 1080i to work fine... I have a HR20 HD DVR receiver with the newest software update. I am using a HDMI cable. I can get the receiver to output 1080p, but the monitor will act like it has no signal, then goto sleep. When I go back to 1080i, everything is fine. I have tried changing the monitor from HDMI PC to HDMI Video, and it didn't help. Does anyone have any ideas...?

I'm on a slow dial-up connection here, so I didn't browse through all 90 pages of this thread.

-Thanks

Joined up to say thanks to you guys :)
Took me a while to figure out the fix but its done & it works

Driver 195.62 has changed the section name to [nv_timingRestrictions_addreg]

Here are the revised steps that worked for me for my GTX 275.

1. Start the driver install.
2. Choose the location of where you will extract the files.
3. After the extraction is complete go to that directory and modify the NV_DISP.inf file by adding the following under [nv_timingRestrictions_addreg]:
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags1, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00
4. Continue the install.
5. Click Exit to end the installation. My computer did not need to be rebooted with this driver version and the screen was good to go at the end of the installation.

Does this monitor expect PC levels or Video levels through it's HDMI input when using a Xbox 360?

For example, when you use a PC on HDMI input, you get the option to do Full scaling or 1:1, meaning it recognizes a PC.

If you use a Xbox 360 on HDMI input, it replaces these options with Full and Original, meaning it detects it as a video source. Does that mean I have to maintain 7.5 IRE as a result by setting the Xbox 360 to Standard reference levels?

when you edit the inf to use the drivers, is anything small or large within windows disabled? as an example, can you still run simple things like the windows experience rating in control panel?

3. After the extraction is complete go to that directory and modify the NV_DISP.inf file by adding the following under [nv_timingRestrictions_addreg]:
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00
HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags1, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00
4. Continue the install.
5. Click Exit to end the installation. My computer did not need to be rebooted with this driver version and the screen was good to go at the end of the installation.

Just wondered why the double code, i've been using the single workaround, it works on my L245wp but only shows 59hz, just wondering if the double code fixes that?

I have it with a 5780 and have not notice any overscan problems. I'm glad also that I finally went with ATI. With my 285GTX I could never get
HDMI to work properly.

Double code doesnt fix the 59hz issue it looks like... and with me running both a GTS250 and a 8600GT, the nvidia control panel doesnt work either, for some odd reason, so no way to fix it via custom resolution, mah.

hey not so dead a thread after all.
okay i have been stuck using 181.20 drivers on xp for too long.
when i go to add the info under this line
nv_commonRestrictionsAndTiming_addreg:

i have seen within different drivers up to 10 instances of that line,so do i need to add to all of them or just the 1st?monitor is an lg245 wp btw with proper edid info

thanks,

4. Continue the install.

Thanks for this. I just wanna report this worked for me on the latest nvidia driver (197.13) on a GTX260 Windows 7 64-bit.

gman: "I have it with a 5780 and have not notice any overscan problems. I'm glad also that I finally went with ATI. With my 285GTX I could never get
HDMI to work properly. "

Thanks for reporting this works with the latest ATI cards. This is such a pain. I may move to them for this reason alone on the next upgrade. I wonder if it's fixed with nvidia's 400 series...

i have been able to get mine working,
howver i added the proper lines to every instance in the inf that contained this line
nv_timingRestrictions_addreg,and it worked

I might in the next few months. Just trying to figure out if buying a different monitor makes any sense. This one still works great and I've no probs except for the Nvidia alignment issue, but since I switch to ATI it's not a prob.

For reference quoted below is a prior post I used to fix the issue I had with earlier Nvidia driversand my LG246 LG 246 LCD Monitor.
These instructions used to work but with this latest driver 197.45 the sections mentioned
in the old post do not exist.
For anyone with the display shifted left problem with LG display monitor this fix should work for sure with the LG246.
The original post has a Override...flags0 section but in aother post elsewhere I had
found reference to adding a line also for the Override...flags1 as well. So here are both lines.

For 197.45 I added to the NV_DISP.INF these two lines in the section labeled
[nv_timingRestrictions_addreg]

Lines begin with HKR and are one line in the INF file. Do not split. all after HKR should be one line.

For my own backup inf file I add the following at the top of the file all lines that begin
with ; are ignored and used as notes.
; added to [nv_timingRestrictions_addreg] these two lines for LG246 Monitor
; HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00
; HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags1, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00
; copy this file over existing default inf file and THEN install new drivers
; use this as reference to edit future infs for driver installs.

Anyway it fixes the problem with the display being shifted left on the LG monitor. This is working on my Windows 7 system and my backup XP Pro system.

It is amazing Nvidia is still fucking this up. This monitor used to work fine with the
Nvidia drivers I used with my old 8800GTX. When I upgraded to the 285GTX the new Nvidia drivers were all shifted left. It was a year until I stumbled across this original post.
I was forced to run Analog mode. Of course this fixes that problem.

What is sad is I see others posting in other forums TILL THIS day desperate for the proper fix and others that give up and buy either a ATI card or a different monitor.
Nvidia, your a bunch of idiots for not fixing your drivers BACK TO THE WAY THEY WERE OVER 4 YEARS AGO.
a SIMPLE IDIOT inf FIX.

I did a comparison between the working and non-working EDID and the only difference is the last byte (before the checksum) is a 0 instead of a 1. So really the OverrideEdidFlags0 value just needs to be:

Code:
1E 6D 3F 56 00 00 FF FF 04 00 00 00 7E 01 00

The first 4 bytes identify the LG monitor. The key is the last 3 bytes of 7E 01 00. That says replace the 127th byte with a 0.

Explanation of OverrideEdidFlags

The simplest way to install this is to modify the nv_disp.inf by doing the following:
  1. Start the installation of the latest Nvidia drivers and cancel out once the files are extracted
  2. Open nv_disp.inf. By default for the current drivers this is in C:\NVIDIA\WinVista\169.25
  3. In the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section add the following:
    Code:
  4. Uninstall your current drivers and reboot
  5. Install the modified drivers by running the previously extracted setup.exe. By default for the current drivers this is in C:\NVIDIA\WinVista\169.25. You'll get a warning about the driver not being signed because of the modified inf. Just press OK.

You can avoid the uninstall/reinstall by adding the value directly to the registry, but I don't know of a reliable way to locate the correct registry hive within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video. If you can figure out which hive is correct, you can directly add the OverrideEdidFlags0 key and value in the 0000 hive (where you'll see all the other Nvidia keys).

Hope that helps.

Anybody have a fix for ATI video cards, particularly 4870? I have a Sapphire 4870 video card, and am experiencing the same issues people are having with Nvidia cards on the HDMI port. The DVI port on my card works fine, but not the HDMI. If you're wondering, I'm trying to get dual monitors(both being LG 246W) to work with this card with no luck. Operating system is Win7.

I'm having the same problem with a 4890 via HDMI.

Anybody know how to fix this?

Thank you thank you thank you!

This is indeed very irritating, I don't know if it's Nvidia or Win 7 or both, but all this new hardware and software seems to be poorly QCd as of late.

197.45 working fine here on win 7 64 bit.

Edited the *.inf under [nv_timingRestrictions_addreg] and added the usual HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

I haven't played with my video drivers in sometime. Too busy doing other things.

EDIT: I originally posted that the GeForce 480GTX has Mini-HDMI out in addition to the two DVIs and that the problem was fixed, but I was wrong. The problem showed up after a reboot. False alarm.

Last edited:
I have an L245wp New Nvidia Drivers 257.21 have a different setup to the last, now i am confused as to where to place the code? :mad::confused:

I have an L245wp New Nvidia Drivers 257.21 have a different setup to the last, now i am confused as to where to place the code? :mad::confused:
nv_timingRestrictions_addreg

underneath this line within the inf
nv_timingRestrictions_addreg
is where i placed the edid info
i placed it under every instance i found within the inf and this worked for me with the new driver

I fixed my issue with the monitor by changing to ATI. I could never get the frikin code thing to work correctly with Nvidia. Ya know you shouldn't have to jump through hoops for the damn monitor to work properly with your vid card. Just pisses me off big time. Anyway, my HD 5870 works just fine with no hacking.:eek:

I fixed my issue with the monitor by changing to ATI. I could never get the frikin code thing to work correctly with Nvidia. Ya know you shouldn't have to jump through hoops for the damn monitor to work properly with your vid card. Just pisses me off big time. Anyway, my HD 5870 works just fine with no hacking.:eek:

A-fucking-men. I did the same and I'm glad I did.

Instead of messing with the INF, install the driver and edit your registry manually. Then reboot.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{92BCC990-E567-430E-A9A1-31057B0D2357}\0000]
"OverrideEdidFlags0"=hex:1e,6d,3f,56,00,00,ff,ff,0 4,00,00,00,7e,01,00

You will have to find the correct registry entry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video

and probably have to add the entry to both \0000 and \0001

After owning this monitor for quite a while now, I wish there was a work-around for PS3/Xbox 360 overscan but alas it wasn't meant to be. No idea why LG never made the firmware updating user-friendly. Still an above average monitor with all things considered, but I'm getting a new TV since I only game on consoles.

In any case, I am looking to sell my LG L246-WP with 1.440 firmware around the Houston, Texas area. So if anyone's interested in buying this rare monitor, send me a PM. I'd post in the sale forum but my post count isn't high enough and I don't want to spam around just to get it lol.

I grew tired of having to run my Xbox360 and PS3 in 720P mode to minimize the cropping. I haven't tried my ATI 4850 on the monitor in years since I use another monitor for gaming now... but I do know that the ATI Mobililty 5830 in my Envy 15 doesn't display properly on the monitor nor does the Intel HD graphics output of my dad's laptop.

So with 1 week left before the 3 year warranty ended, I called up LG support and had to suffer through the indignities of consumer level trouble shooting. :-< EDID issue was all I wanted them to put on my case file. <sigh> (Had to send in a scan of my receipt... $600!!! after taxes and CA recycling fee... and it was a great deal back then for such a *huge* monitor.)

The last agent I got was quite helpful, but could not guarantee what would be sent out since another group handled that. He would leave a note attached to my file that I wanted a 178 degree viewing angle replacement... (near impossible unless they have a refurb L246WP-BN sitting in the warehouse.) They couldn't guarantee a L246WP even if I sent mine in without the advance swap... so I just opted for the advance replacement.

So have any of you recently gotten your L246WP EDID issue fixed under warranty? What did you get back?

Any other updated news from anyone on firmware for L245wp yet?, especially on using the new GPU's from ATI/Nvidia?

Anyone have problems with the monitor flickering on and off ever 5 minutes? It is driving me nuts. I only had this thing for a few years.

Okey dokey here's an update on my "just under the three year warranty" claim on my monitor's defective EDID.

LG sent me the last refurb L246WP-BN they had on hand in an advance swap, and even after I explicitly told them the issue I was having and wanted to make sure any replacement didn't have the same error. Of course, it also didn't send the right EDID out the HDMI port. Plus it also had some *MAJOR* backlight uniformity issues. Exactly the reason I didn't want to return my monitor for repair while it was newer.
So I sent the refurb back (LG paid for shipping both ways.) LG has now authorized a "buy back" since they no longer can replace the firmware in the monitor in their US depot... So I'm getting back the $550 I paid for it, but am still out the sales tax and the CA disposal fee. :-< It's sad to see that they can't just reflash the firmware because the L246WP is still a really nice monitor, and one of the few that supported HDMI audio.

The kicker is, in the letter they sent me, they claim they sent a return label for the monitor to be sent back to them so they can "comply with the EPA as a responsible manufacturer for proper disposal of your old unit." I think it's just a form letter, since trashing such a nice monitor would be such a waste.

So if any of you still have a L246WP under warranty and a receipt. LG USA will do a buy back of the monitor because they can't fix the HDMI EDID issue.

Now it's time to figure out what monitor I can replace it with. :-O

Okey dokey here's an update on my "just under the three year warranty" claim on my monitor's defective EDID.

LG sent me the last refurb L246WP-BN they had on hand in an advance swap, and even after I explicitly told them the issue I was having and wanted to make sure any replacement didn't have the same error. Of course, it also didn't send the right EDID out the HDMI port. Plus it also had some *MAJOR* backlight uniformity issues. Exactly the reason I didn't want to return my monitor for repair while it was newer.
So I sent the refurb back (LG paid for shipping both ways.) LG has now authorized a "buy back" since they no longer can replace the firmware in the monitor in their US depot... So I'm getting back the $550 I paid for it, but am still out the sales tax and the CA disposal fee. :-< It's sad to see that they can't just reflash the firmware because the L246WP is still a really nice monitor, and one of the few that supported HDMI audio.

The kicker is, in the letter they sent me, they claim they sent a return label for the monitor to be sent back to them so they can "comply with the EPA as a responsible manufacturer for proper disposal of your old unit." I think it's just a form letter, since trashing such a nice monitor would be such a waste.

So if any of you still have a L246WP under warranty and a receipt. LG USA will do a buy back of the monitor because they can't fix the HDMI EDID issue.

Now it's time to figure out what monitor I can replace it with. :-O

Oh damn... $550 could land me a nice upgrade. I bought mine on closeout though from Circuit City for only $250. Wonder if they would only give me $250 back.

I will never buy another LG Monitor after this fiasco, when i call them to ask for assistance they say they have never seen this problem before, wtf, it's been ongoing for 2-3 years now, anyway, never again using LG.

Instead of messing with the INF, install the driver and edit your registry manually. Then reboot.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{92BCC990-E567-430E-A9A1-31057B0D2357}\0000]
"OverrideEdidFlags0"=hex:1e,6d,3f,56,00,00,ff,ff,0 4,00,00,00,7e,01,00

You will have to find the correct registry entry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video

and probably have to add the entry to both \0000 and \0001

That registry hack worked like a charm and it's easy. :cool:

After owning this monitor for quite a while now, I wish there was a work-around for PS3/Xbox 360 overscan but alas it wasn't meant to be. No idea why LG never made the firmware updating user-friendly. Still an above average monitor with all things considered, but I'm getting a new TV since I only game on consoles.

In any case, I am looking to sell my LG L246-WP with 1.440 firmware around the Houston, Texas area. So if anyone's interested in buying this rare monitor, send me a PM. I'd post in the sale forum but my post count isn't high enough and I don't want to spam around just to get it lol.

Did you ever sell your monitor? I am considering an upgrade and was wondering how much these were fetching these days.

Just slapped in a GTS450 in my ws, the LG works just fine with it, no hacks applied.

soooo... is the overscan problem with the Lg246 series fixed in the latest nvidia driver release or do I still have to hack it to display properly on w7 64 bit?

soooo... is the overscan problem with the Lg246 series fixed in the latest nvidia driver release or do I still have to hack it to display properly on w7 64 bit?
i am not sure,i have become so used to fixing the inf,before installi did not even try doing a normal install!!

Back