LG L246W

What worked for me with my GTX 260 was to create a reg file and add this:

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{BBB725CF-F867-4CFC-A00D-09A82F11A075}\0000]
"OverrideEdidFlags0"=hex:1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

This works for me with vista but not in the Windows 7 beta. The driver fix wasn't giving me any luck there either.

Has anyone had this problem and found a fix?

I have an NVidia 9600GT card and connected my LG via HDMI, and still it was not centered properly. I did that inf edit thing but I see that you have a different card. Uh, I think maybe you were intending to say "trying VGA as a last ditch" ?

So, I think if all else fails you should upgrade your video card for cheap on newegg.com (and maybe get an ATI card, as those don't have problems with this monitor, I think). I think a popular choice was the Nvidia 8800GT (high end card of last generation... rather cheap now, and it's better than my Nvidia 9600GT). I think this generation's popular high end card is ATI 4850 or something. Anyway you can go for a mid end ATI card or whatever... whatever is in your budget... but remember newegg has a lot of nice deals.

Once you've decided on a card, post back here or elsewhere and ask for advice on it.

No, I meant HDMI as this monitor is horrid at 1920x1200 using VGA, which is how it's now in use. I don't really want/need another video card either, especially not if the issues this monitor has with ghosting aren't addressed by that.

fakeian: "This works for me with vista but not in the Windows 7 beta. The driver fix wasn't giving me any luck there either. Has anyone had this problem and found a fix?"

Yup, I've got the same monitor as you (LG 246WP)- tried everything and still can't get Windows 7 to recognize my display as a monitor instead of an 'HDTV'. The overscan shows about a 1.5 inch black bar on the right side of my monitor and a 1/5th inch black bar at the bottom.

I've tried:

1. Registry hack found on other forums to disable HDCP. (didn't work. But, this worked in Vista64 though)
2. Installing Nvidia drivers (from the 170's to the new 185 beta's), rivatuner, etc...(didn't work)
3. Downloading latest Nvidia GTX260 from Windows update (didn't work)
4. The only semi-okay result is by uninstalling the nvidia drivers from the add/remove software section in control panel. All this does is let me go back to full resolution 1920x1200 without overscan. But, the performance is choppy since the card isn't being utilitzed thoroughly via drivers.

In other words, Bump, and please help if you can. THANKS

Hi, can someone please do input lag testing for the 246WH variant as i can't seem to find any results.

Hopefully the TN variant is a bit better then the MVA for input lag. (interested in this panel for the component in).

TIA.

I'm not having the issues you guys are talking about. I have an 8800 GTS 512 and I've used every driver up to 180.84.

Have you guys tried a different (better) HDMI cable?

I'm not having the issues you guys are talking about. I have an 8800 GTS 512 and I've used every driver up to 180.84.

The problem is not the HDMI or DVI or VGA cable...The problem is tied to the Nvidia drivers (all of em.)

Yeah...too bad ATI and Nvidia don't want to get off their collective asses and fix these damn issues!

/rant

The 8800 series doesn't have this issue AFAIK. My 8800GTS 640MB only had a problem with NVIDIA aspect scaling, which may have been tied to the EDID. The drivers would only let you select the monitor scaling option.

My 4850 worked without a problem.

My GTX 260 has the problem and the registry hack fixed it for me. Believe me, I was pissed when I first saw the problem and thought I was going to have to get a new LCD or a new video card.

*********************Okay, I found the overscan fix for Windows 7 after navigating many google searches.*********************

I did the following registry edit for my GTX260 and LG246WP:

**Obtain the EDID numbers from your monitor using the Phoenix Utility (for those using the LG246WP, the first four numbers are 1E,6D,3F,56)

1. Let Windows 7 update the Nvidia drivers through Windows Update or download them from Nvidia.
2. Run regedit and go here: HK_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video
3. Check each subfolder called "0000" until you see:
>Settings
>Uninstall
>Volatilesettings
4. Once you find that, click the "0000" and select "new" followed by "binary value"
5. Rename the value to OverrideEdidFlags0 and hit enter/okay
6. Right click OverrideEdidFlags0 and select "Modify Binary Data"
7. Don't mind the "0000" already in the key- just manually type in "1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00" without the quotation marks/commas and click okay. If you are using a different monitor than the LG246WP, the first four values (or maybe all) of that string will be different.
8. Close regedit and reboot. Your overscan problems should be fixed. :D

I've attached a picture of my registry edit: http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/7462/regsp6.jpg

More info here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=58483&hl=windows 7&st=100

I did a comparison between the working and non-working EDID and the only difference is the last byte (before the checksum) is a 0 instead of a 1. So really the OverrideEdidFlags0 value just needs to be:

Code:
1E 6D 3F 56 00 00 FF FF 04 00 00 00 7E 01 00

The first 4 bytes identify the LG monitor. The key is the last 3 bytes of 7E 01 00. That says replace the 127th byte with a 0.

Explanation of OverrideEdidFlags

The simplest way to install this is to modify the nv_disp.inf by doing the following:
  1. Start the installation of the latest Nvidia drivers and cancel out once the files are extracted
  2. Open nv_disp.inf. By default for the current drivers this is in C:\NVIDIA\WinVista\169.25
  3. In the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section add the following:
    Code:
    HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00
  4. Uninstall your current drivers and reboot
  5. Install the modified drivers by running the previously extracted setup.exe. By default for the current drivers this is in C:\NVIDIA\WinVista\169.25. You'll get a warning about the driver not being signed because of the modified inf. Just press OK.

You can avoid the uninstall/reinstall by adding the value directly to the registry, but I don't know of a reliable way to locate the correct registry hive within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video. If you can figure out which hive is correct, you can directly add the OverrideEdidFlags0 key and value in the 0000 hive (where you'll see all the other Nvidia keys).

Hope that helps.
Thanks! This pecker has been plaguing me since last year.

It doesn't seem like anyone's found a solution to the wake-up/monitor-stays-asleep issue yet. Has anyone figured out a solution? I do have to turn it off and then turn it back on if it falls asleep, so I usually just turn it off when I don't need to use it. Has anyone figured out a way to not have this happen?

Also, does anyone here use a DVI->HDMI converter and then use an HDMI cable rather than using the DVI-HDMI cable that shipped with your monitor? I was wondering if changing that would effect anything at all.

It doesn't seem like anyone's found a solution to the wake-up/monitor-stays-asleep issue yet. Has anyone figured out a solution? I do have to turn it off and then turn it back on if it falls asleep, so I usually just turn it off when I don't need to use it. Has anyone figured out a way to not have this happen?

Also, does anyone here use a DVI->HDMI converter and then use an HDMI cable rather than using the DVI-HDMI cable that shipped with your monitor? I was wondering if changing that would effect anything at all.

I had the no wakeup problem, turns out that the monitor cable that you get when you buy your monitor went bad on me and stopped working all together. I bought one from monoprice and have not had the issue return.

I had the no wakeup problem, turns out that the monitor cable that you get when you buy your monitor went bad on me and stopped working all together. I bought one from monoprice and have not had the issue return.

Interesting. I've had an issue with that too. I should try that out. Thanks!

I bought one from monoprice and have not had the issue return.

!!

So what cable did you get? I know that some of the inexpensive ones out there work perfectly fine and I honestly don't want to spend $130 on a Monster HDMI cable. I'd prefer just getting a basic one and trying it out... any recommendations?

!!

So what cable did you get? I know that some of the inexpensive ones out there work perfectly fine and I honestly don't want to spend $130 on a Monster HDMI cable. I'd prefer just getting a basic one and trying it out... any recommendations?

Basically any dvi-hdmi cable from monoprice should work fine.

i actually just bought a $2 cable from amazon. Same DVI to HDMI. We will see if that fixes the issue.

That is interesting. I have put up with that issue forever... and I have noticed it is only the one monitor. I figured it was the video card. If this cables fixes it, I will cry a bit. :p

I have developed a horizontal line of dead pixels :( Anyone have experience with LG warranty?

That sucks. The monitor has a 3-year warranty, but in your case you'll probably wind up getting the newer model, which is using a TN panel. I'd rather get a refurbished L246W (google for one) than a newer model.

Good luck!

WHAT?!!!

I just did an "advanced" rma today whereby they charge my CC for a unit until I send my bad one back. I don't want a stupid TN panel, that's why I bought this one in the first place and paid more for it!

If you're lucky you might get another one (pray man!), but I'll bet you get their latest 24" model, which uses a TN panel.

I just got a 6ft HDMI cable from monoprice.com. Here's what I tried:

4850x2 2GB -> ATI's Rev. B DVI->HDMI adapter -> Monoprice's 6ft 24AWP CL2 HDMI cable -> LG245WP

I had been using the standard DVI -> HDMI cable that came with the monitor.

I got the overscan/underscan issue, I think. Whenever I use the dvi -> hdmi adapter + the hdmi cable, the screen is shifted off to the size and is shrunk a bit. It also looks horrible. I tried going through settings in ATI's CCC but couldn't find any settings that changed the appearance.

Anyone else run into this with a similar setup? It seems like (from this thread) a lot of people had this problem with Nvidia cards, but I have Sapphire's 4850x2 2GB.

I ordered a DVI -> HDMI cable from Monoprice.com today and will be trying that out later this week.

My only guess so far is that ATI's adapter has pins to allow audio to also go through it and maybe that messed up my monitor/drivers, as if it was a TV rather than a Monitor?

I switched back to the dvi -> hdmi cable that came with the monitor and everything went back to normal.

I did a comparison between the working and non-working EDID and the only difference is the last byte (before the checksum) is a 0 instead of a 1. So really the OverrideEdidFlags0 value just needs to be:

Code:
1E 6D 3F 56 00 00 FF FF 04 00 00 00 7E 01 00

The first 4 bytes identify the LG monitor. The key is the last 3 bytes of 7E 01 00. That says replace the 127th byte with a 0.

Explanation of OverrideEdidFlags

The simplest way to install this is to modify the nv_disp.inf by doing the following:
  1. Start the installation of the latest Nvidia drivers and cancel out once the files are extracted
  2. Open nv_disp.inf. By default for the current drivers this is in C:\NVIDIA\WinVista\169.25
  3. In the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section add the following:
    Code:
    HKR,, OverrideEdidFlags0, %REG_BINARY%, 1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00
  4. Uninstall your current drivers and reboot
  5. Install the modified drivers by running the previously extracted setup.exe. By default for the current drivers this is in C:\NVIDIA\WinVista\169.25. You'll get a warning about the driver not being signed because of the modified inf. Just press OK.

You can avoid the uninstall/reinstall by adding the value directly to the registry, but I don't know of a reliable way to locate the correct registry hive within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video. If you can figure out which hive is correct, you can directly add the OverrideEdidFlags0 key and value in the 0000 hive (where you'll see all the other Nvidia keys).

Hope that helps.

I have not read through the whole thread but thank you for this. It worked but i had to put that reg key under all of the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] (i believe there was 4 diff ones for the diff series of cards) This worked on my GTX260.

I got one of monoprice's DVI -> HDMI cables and it works great. So far I haven't had any blinks or power losses or flashes to black. Will report back once I have more than a few weeks experience with it, but so far it's great.

Even the UAC blinking black for a few seconds in Vista has gone away... all for $13 after tax and shipping. =)

I got one of monoprice's DVI -> HDMI cables and it works great. So far I haven't had any blinks or power losses or flashes to black. Will report back once I have more than a few weeks experience with it, but so far it's great.

Even the UAC blinking black for a few seconds in Vista has gone away... all for $13 after tax and shipping. =)

I had the opposite experience. Replaced the cable and it does the exact same thing. :(

Just an update on my situation. I received my RMA 24" panel today, it's definitely the new model with really bad panel. I can't stand looking at this thing. The enclosure and everything just feel and look super cheap.

The base came to me broken and I def. have a stuck pixel. Not sure what to do at this point, I'd rather wait until they release their 24" IPS panels in the US and live with my row of dead pixels than use this thing.

As my L245wp was having trouble when i used a card from the 900-200 series, i kept having my desktop or screen move to the left after installing updated drivers, so LG Europe have it now, and hope they will just update the Firmware and all will be fine?. :eek:

LG called me to day and told me they have updated the firmware and i should receive it this Monday 23/March/2009.
We shall see!!;)

Hey guys! How can you tell the mva from the tn panel assuming that you are ordering it online and can't see it? Do they have some serial number that specifies the type of panel? I called the store and the folks there didn't know anything about this. thanks!

Just got my LG L245wp back from LG after having the Firmware updated, so bought a new GTS250 1GB card to go with it, and guess what, i have the same problem with monitor screen moving 2" to the Left.
So will call LG today to get a replacement hopefully, even a TN Panel will do rather than this.:mad::mad::mad:

Update.
I spoke to Lg and they returned my call to help me but it didn't help.
They told me it was not the fault of the Monitor but the Graphics card only, so it's the fault of a 9800GX2, 9800GTX+ and a GTS250 1GB, i just don't understand how that is the fault, i'm going to get a new HDMI-DVI Lead today to see if that helps.

Hmm newer Vista drivers such as 185.65 and 185.66 don't have a [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] section. Can someone tell me where to edit the nv_disp.inf now? And installing them straight up still results in the monitor being detected as a HDTV.

@pitbull46

It's not the fault of your cards. It is the fault of the video card drivers detecting the monitor wrongly as a HDTV. Even ATI video cards do this. So both video card makers have to wake up and fix this issue.

Update: I tried installing the 185.66 driver and then using the reg key that was posted a few pages back. But it doesn't work. Up until now I have editing the *.inf.

Last edited:
I posted about this as a reply to pitbull days ago, but it looks like the forum rolled back.
Anyway you can fix the scaling problem by using the EDID Tweak posted a few pages back.

You either have to edit the Nvidia driver, or edit your Windows registry.
Easy fix, and you don't need to RMA the monitor.

Bingo! I took a stab at picking the right section in this new laid out nv_disp.inf and I picked the proper section first shot.

You now need to put this:

Code:
under the [nv_commonRestrictionsAndTiming_addreg] label for newer drivers.

Back