LG L246W

Got it fixed. I was stupid and ignored this post, which held the answer to fixing the problem. Finally, quality digital signal over HDMI @ full res. :cool:

Anyone using this monitor with a GeForce 8 series card on Vista and the newest 178.13 drivers... go into Nvidia control panel under change display scaling... is it all grayed out? For some reason mine is... I don't think it was with previous drivers (not sure which version though).....?!

-Thanks

Sorry to dig this up, but can anyone tell me if the latest revision (1.70) has fixed the brightness problem where it also controls contrast? Does it have inverse ghosting? Is the persistence problem widespread? Has any solution been found for the luminance 64-63 bluish blacks been found, except for running that program on every restart or monitor shutdown?

I'm about to buy one for use with a 4870.

Ive owned this monitor over a year. Recently I decided to calibrate it again because of slight eye strain after long gaming sessions. (dam wow)

Anyway I tried all the calibration settings in this thread and nothing seemed "right" They seemed good but off just not the way it was meant to be. Sorry I'm not great with words.

Ok anyway after lots and lots of playing with monitor brightness and contrast and brightness in the video card driver adjustments I found out what has been up with this thing.

This monitor is off on gamma.

If you have vista and this monitor and an Nvidia card I promise you , you'll love this.
Goto your video driver and adjust the gamma down 2 notches to 46 down from 50.
The monitor will be absolute calibrated perfection.

The monitor should be left at default 41 brightness

Hope soemone ends up enjoying this. I love this monitor Greatest money Ive spent on one.

So is this monitor officially out of production? No places selling it anymore?

I love mine, but the burn-in from a wallpaper a year ago is getting on my last nerves. Ruins beautiful quality video game and movie scenes.

Anyone using this monitor with a GeForce 8 series card on Vista and the newest 178.13 drivers... go into Nvidia control panel under change display scaling... is it all grayed out? For some reason mine is... I don't think it was with previous drivers (not sure which version though).....?!

-Thanks
Not sure, I'm still struggling to get it to work...

See this thread.

I love mine, but the burn-in from a wallpaper a year ago is getting on my last nerves. Ruins beautiful quality video game and movie scenes.
Wow, burn-in on an LCD panel? I didn't think that was possible! Should I be more careful? :eek:

I've had my monitor for a long time now, probably about a year and it's still great. I have it tuned just the way I like it for a dark room. I haven't seen any of the issues regarding burn-in or anything like that so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Still the best $230 I ever spent! Got it on the CC clearance a while back.

Yeah I miss my wallpaper and desktop icons.
If I turn any of that on, the brighter colors (whites especially) cause some serious burn-ins. Whenever I'm looking at anything that's a darker color (greys), I see the shapes from the bright icons on my desktop.

For what it's worth, I'm using sRGB mode and Brightness "100".
I suppose my high brightness is the cause of the problem... I'll try lowering it and see if that helps, although I much prefer the high brightness...

Yeah I miss my wallpaper and desktop icons.
If I turn any of that on, the brighter colors (whites especially) cause some serious burn-ins. Whenever I'm looking at anything that's a darker color (greys), I see the shapes from the bright icons on my desktop.

For what it's worth, I'm using sRGB mode and Brightness "100".
I suppose my high brightness is the cause of the problem... I'll try lowering it and see if that helps, although I much prefer the high brightness...

I've set my brightness to "30". I still get the burn-in. Not too overly concerned, these monitors are going to go to work with me and I'll get a new set for home. Maybe some 27" or 30"ers.

This monitor ghosts pretty bad, but never true burn-in. The only true burn-in which hasn't disappeared in over a year, was a part of a wallpaper I had that had a bunch of glowy squiggly lines. At night lately, I've set the brightness to 100, left it on all night with a towel over it when I'm sleeping, and it's gone down a bit, but not totally. Seems like it's never gonna go away.

So yeah, owners beware. Don't set static images on your monitor for more than an hour.

vondozier, I think you may have gotten a defective unit. My monitor shows no evidence of ghosting and surely does not have any burn in. I can say the same for a few of my friends who purchased the same monitor shortly after I did as well.

At its worst, my wallpaper took a few days to lose its burn-in.
I disabled all my icons and wallpaper pictures to just show my desktop as a blank, black screen.

I lowered my Brightness and make sure to turn off my monitor whenever I'm not using it, and now the only burn-in I get is from the start menu.

If I leave my desktop showing (or any other solid image) for several hours, then slight burnin will appear, but only takes a few minutes to clear up...

I like mine so far, but I'm thinking of going bigger. If I do, I might sell it to someone that already has one and want's the twin rotatable displays.

This monitor is useless.... Recently upgraded to a GTX 280 and due to the some silly Nvidia driver issue, I am force to use VGA. I have tried what was mentioned here, but fail to make the side bar disappear. I followed the instruction as directed. Using Latest 180 drivers.

This monitor is useless.... Recently upgraded to a GTX 280 and due to the some silly Nvidia driver issue, I am force to use VGA. I have tried what was mentioned here, but fail to make the side bar disappear. I followed the instruction as directed. Using Latest 180 drivers.

I have this monitor and have also noticed Nvidia's drivers with the GTX200 and 9800GX2 cards don't seem to like some (or all) of the HDMI monitors.

I also had a little problem with the instructions you posted. The instructions tell you to add a line of code to the [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings]. But that didn't work. There are two or three other sections that begin with [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings...], I just added the line of code to all of the SoftwareDeviceSettings sections, and then it worked.

I've had my monitor for a long time now, probably about a year and it's still great. I have it tuned just the way I like it for a dark room. I haven't seen any of the issues regarding burn-in or anything like that so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Still the best $230 I ever spent! Got it on the CC clearance a while back.

Hi Steve,
Just wanted to say thanks again for this slick deal :) I'm still loving this monitor. For anyone looking for one, I found a couple of places on line. Not sure if they're refurbs though:

Look at the first three shopping results:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=l246wp&aq=f&oq=

Still screwing around with this and not figuring it out.

The box around the bottom and right sides indicate areas of my screen where it should be displaying. The arrows signify where my desktop has traveled to...
img33551my2.jpg

Still unacceptable. I wonder if I would have this problem on a different monitor. I have a 720p TV but I bet that would work fine since its a HDTV resolution, unlike the LG. I don't want to get rid of this LG just to find out its not monitor specific. I don't have any other LCDs that I could try via DVI->HDMI, unlike the HDMI-.HDMI cable I'm using now, just to see what would happens...

Any other ideas? I think I've tried about every monitor setting combination.

EDIT: Tried the laptop through my HDTV and it centered up just fine, though it cut a sliver off all for sides, it was still usable. VGA from my laptop to the LG works perfect, as expected--with the degraded analog signal. :(

Hi, I am having the same issue with my LG246WP. I have connected it through a hdmi-hdmi cable from my Dell Studio desktop, which has on board video with an hdmi out. The intel graphics properties clearly show it as a television, and i think thats whY it is not centered properly.

The edid fix is mentioned for nvidia cards, which i do not have. Can someone help with this getting to work with the intel chipset?

I have found the intel drivers and the inf file(s). If I add the EDID fix code to any place in that inf file, will it work?

I've gone through a few long evenings searching the internet, and applying various registry hacks. None of them resulted in a proper display through DVI-to-HDMI.

The only thing that I can think of is that my modifications to the EDID of the monitor in the registry didn't stick after the reboot. In particular, the setting that I couldn't get persisted is the number of EDID extensions. In the registry it's 1, and I tried to set it to 0, but upon reboot, it reverted to 1.

I do believe that if the Intel driver would conclude that this is not a digital television but is rather a digital monitor (that's what it does for my 1280x1024 19" NEC, which shows a beautiful digital picture) the picture might look right. However, I don't know how to force it to do so, perhaps the EDID extensions is the key, once again going to my NEC monitor, EDID extensions is set to 0 for it.

I guess the solution could be how to force the modification of the monitor's EDID. I thought that PowerStrip could do it, but I've never done anything myself.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

-- Alex

Hi, I am having the same issue with my LG246WP. I have connected it through a hdmi-hdmi cable from my Dell Studio desktop, which has on board video with an hdmi out. The intel graphics properties clearly show it as a television, and i think thats whY it is not centered properly.

The edid fix is mentioned for nvidia cards, which i do not have. Can someone help with this getting to work with the intel chipset?

I have found the intel drivers and the inf file(s). If I add the EDID fix code to any place in that inf file, will it work?

I have the same problem when connected to AMD 790G/Radeon HD 3300. Therefore this problem is found on all Nvidia, ATI and Intel cards now.

Interestingly, I tried a Radeon 4670 card and it had the same problem using DVI to HDMI adapter. Any of the registry fix did not work either.

I switched to a nvidia card, 8600 GTS, in hope to apply the nvidia fix and when I first installed the drivers, it worked like a charm without needing the EDID fix.driver version I am using is 7.13

I spoke to LG and I spoke to XFX and finally just bought an ATI 4830 and moved my 8800GTS to another system.

LG just told me to go ATI and be done with the problem. XFX told me to wait for a driver update.

The 4830 works perfectly with no shigting problem via DVI to HDMI.

I'm suffering from the same issue you are. I tried a GTX 280, GTX 260 now I'm on an ATI 4870X2 and it's still the same thing. Have you figured out how to fix it? Using the HDMI/DVI connector

I'm suffering from the same issue you are. I tried a GTX 280, GTX 260 now I'm on an ATI 4870X2 and it's still the same thing. Have you figured out how to fix it? Using the HDMI/DVI connector

I believe the new drivers of Nvidia and ATI cause the problem of the monitor. Since my ATI X1800(with cat 7.X) , Nvidia 8600GT and 8800GTS(with 175.xx) works fine with LG L246WP. But ATI HD3300(with CAT 8.7~8.12) and 9800GT(with 180.xx) have the same shifting problem.
I will try to update the 8600GT or 8800GTS to the lastest driver to see if they will have the same issue.

What worked for me with my GTX 260 was to create a reg file and add this:

REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{BBB725CF-F867-4CFC-A00D-09A82F11A075}\0000]
"OverrideEdidFlags0"=hex:1E,6D,3F,56,00,00,FF,FF,04,00,00,00,7E,01,00

These are the correct EDID code numbers for the LG L246W. Open notepad, add that code, save as a reg file, click on it and then reboot. It worked for me but it may not work for others.

The other fix you can try with NVIDIA cards can be found here:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=413572&mpage=1&key=��

From post #13

I tried the fix Johnny B posted. Took a couple tries to get it working, but it did fix the problem. In the 177.35 drivers there are two [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings] sections called [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_C7x] and [nv_SoftwareDeviceSettings_GT2x]. For me, I had to put that HKR... line into both sections.

I first tried this method and it worked. The only problem is you need do this with every new driver update you install. The registry hack works better because it's a one time deal until you format/install a new hard drive.

My LG 246W has been working fine for quite some time now, but now that I purchased a PS3 which is hooked up to the monitor through a component cable, my monitor goes black for a few seconds then goes back to normal. This only occurs when the monitor's input is set to HDMI (which I use for my PC).

Has this occurred to anyone else and if so is there a fix?

Jordan1, your problem could have been fixed by doing that registry edit (I think; I've never tried it) or by editing a certain file in the folder that the the NVidia drivers extract to before installing them.

Anyway I'm glad you switched to ATI and got your monitor working, because when I updated my Nvidia drivers I had to edit a new file again because the issue still hasn't been fixed.

So guys I have a new problem...

I noticed that if I connect a PS3 or Sony Blu Ray player to this monitor via HDMI, you can ge 1080p, but it is OVERSCANNED!!!

I noticed this because I tested out The Nightmare Before Christmas Blu Ray on a Samsung HDTV and there were black bars on the sides (yes sides), as noted by a review, because that is the film's original aspect ratio.
On my LG monitor, though, there are no black bars on the sides. And yes I have the scaling on the monitor set to "original." I've even tried "full" to no avail.

Another piece of evidence is that when I try to view these 2 free interview/conference videos for the anime Xam'd on the Playstation Network via my PS3, the logo in the upper left corner is cut off!

Has anyone found a remedy for this overscan problem? On PC it seems fine and everything is mapped out 1:1.

So guys I have a new problem...

I noticed that if I connect a PS3 or Sony Blu Ray player to this monitor via HDMI, you can ge 1080p, but it is OVERSCANNED!!!

I noticed this because I tested out The Nightmare Before Christmas Blu Ray on a Samsung HDTV and there were black bars on the sides (yes sides), as noted by a review, because that is the film's original aspect ratio.
On my LG monitor, though, there are no black bars on the sides. And yes I have the scaling on the monitor set to "original." I've even tried "full" to no avail.

Another piece of evidence is that when I try to view these 2 free interview/conference videos for the anime Xam'd on the Playstation Network via my PS3, the logo in the upper left corner is cut off!

Has anyone found a remedy for this overscan problem? On PC it seems fine and everything is mapped out 1:1.

My PS3 when connected to the L246W via HDMI also has problem with overscan. If you go to www.tigerdave.com and download the 1920x1080 test pattern, you will see that the overscan on this monitor is about 2% to 3%. I did try to look through this entire thread for possible fixes to this problem but so far, it does not look like there are any.

I haven't used one in a while, but didn't this monitor have a "PC" mode over HDMI that eliminates overscan completely and changes the scaling options, or is that not available when connected via PS3?

I didn't have my PS3 when I had this so I could be grasping at straws....

My PS3 when connected to the L246W via HDMI also has problem with overscan. If you go to www.tigerdave.com and download the 1920x1080 test pattern, you will see that the overscan on this monitor is about 2% to 3%. I did try to look through this entire thread for possible fixes to this problem but so far, it does not look like there are any.

I haven't used one in a while, but didn't this monitor have a "PC" mode over HDMI that eliminates overscan completely and changes the scaling options, or is that not available when connected via PS3?

I didn't have my PS3 when I had this so I could be grasping at straws....

10e, PC mode is available for the PS3 over HDMI but I remember vaguely the last time I tried it, the overscan actually got worse. Let me try switching the LG to PC mode again the next time I fire up my PS3 and get back to you on this later.

I tried PC mode for PS3 and it actually just shifts the image over to the left... not sure if it shrunk it down to 1:1 pixel mapping (aside from shifting it to the left, thus giving you a big black bar on the right side).

Hi all I had the same problem with this monitor and my nvidia 260 about the black bars on the side. I called LG and they replaced it with W2452V one. All I can say is WOW i HATE TNs. I cannot stand the color. W2452V is horrible. The picture quality is ugly, just everything about it is ungly. Try to keep your monitors because the monitor LG gives you is crap. I cannot belive they gave me this garbage of a monitor compare to the L246WP. Sorry for the rant but I will never buy an TN product.

Hi all I had the same problem with this monitor and my nvidia 260 about the black bars on the side. I called LG and they replaced it with W2452V one. All I can say is WOW i HATE TNs. I cannot stand the color. W2452V is horrible. The picture quality is ugly, just everything about it is ungly. Try to keep your monitors because the monitor LG gives you is crap. I cannot belive they gave me this garbage of a monitor compare to the L246WP. Sorry for the rant but I will never buy an TN product.
I would try to get some money from them...
Did they tell you they were sending you the TN model before you returned your L246?

I'm another L246 user with the scaling/HDMI problems (using straight HDMI - HDMI cable), same as vrbaba shows in his post above. I've tried the registry edit but with no luck. I also tried the .inf edit but did not have the referenced NV_DISP.inf file to edit (GeForce 7100 series drivers). I'm stuck! I wouldn't really care but I find the monitor's resolution to be extremely blurry (for text) with lot's of ghosting in 1920x1200 so I am trying HDMI as a last ditch effort to make the monitor usable. I've searched but not found any other options for getting past this problem. Any other ideas?

I'm another L246 user with the scaling/HDMI problems (using straight HDMI - HDMI cable), same as vrbaba shows in his post above. I've tried the registry edit but with no luck. I also tried the .inf edit but did not have the referenced NV_DISP.inf file to edit (GeForce 7100 series drivers). I'm stuck! I wouldn't really care but I find the monitor's resolution to be extremely blurry (for text) with lot's of ghosting in 1920x1200 so I am trying HDMI as a last ditch effort to make the monitor usable. I've searched but not found any other options for getting past this problem. Any other ideas?
I have an NVidia 9600GT card and connected my LG via HDMI, and still it was not centered properly. I did that inf edit thing but I see that you have a different card. Uh, I think maybe you were intending to say "trying VGA as a last ditch" ?

So, I think if all else fails you should upgrade your video card for cheap on newegg.com (and maybe get an ATI card, as those don't have problems with this monitor, I think). I think a popular choice was the Nvidia 8800GT (high end card of last generation... rather cheap now, and it's better than my Nvidia 9600GT). I think this generation's popular high end card is ATI 4850 or something. Anyway you can go for a mid end ATI card or whatever... whatever is in your budget... but remember newegg has a lot of nice deals.

Once you've decided on a card, post back here or elsewhere and ask for advice on it.

Back