LG L246W

I don't think there is any trouble with any particular run, but some do try to get the latest
build when possible due to personal preference.

ok i have good news for people having problems with overscan (and somewhat bad news). the good news is that you can have a ps3 on 1080p plugged in through hdmi you just have to make sure hdmi is set to video and not pc. the downside is i got an onkyo 705 about a month ago and have my pc and ps3 plugged into it. i can't get pc to look right with my 6800gt on hdmi video tho. the funny thing is back when i was testing all this i had 1080p on hdmi pc first and it had terrible overscan. i switched to 1080i and it was better. however then when i tested hdmi video 1080i still had overscan so i neglected to test 1080p and thought the monitor was just retarded and would always have overscan 1080p and i would have to live with 1080i with minor overscan. needless to say at 6am this morning after trying to connect an hdmi to dvi cord from the 705 to the rgb on the lg with a dvi to vga connector and it didnt work and by chance trying 1080p on hdmi video and seeing playstation store pixel for pixel i was ecstatic. now i have my pc connected through the rgb (small sacrifice) and ps3 through hdmi. i changed the pc audio to the cd input on the 705 so switching it on won't turn off the ps3's video feed. i hope this helps some people out. im gonna go watch my blu-rays as the 600 bucks i paid for this monitor intended.

Is this LCD still being manufactured?

Just a month ago, they were all on sale at like $450... and now, I can't even find them on sale at most places... best buy, newegg, frys... etc, all stopped carrying them...
The ones I can find are all at the $650+ level, from random websites I haven't heard of before.

LG has stopped manufacturing this specific version of the monitor. The new one they are making has a TN film panel instead of the MVA that the L246WP-BN has. The new TN flim of this monitor is the L246WH-BN.

Theres a small chance that your local Best Buy may still have the L246WP-BN. I picked one up on Monday. They are having a clearance deal on it right now. I checked two Best Buys in my area, and one had it for $479, the other for $359, so YMMV. Call to check stock ahead of time and have them physically check for stock, because the monitor is no longer in their computer stock checking system.

I LOVE this monitor so far. Everything I could want in a monitor, and at $389 after tax, it was a steal.

LG has stopped manufacturing this specific version of the monitor. The new one they are making has a TN film panel instead of the MVA that the L246WP-BN has. The new TN flim of this monitor is the L246WH-BN.

L246WH-BN definately isn't their new 24" model since it has been on on the market for at least 6 months.

I think that the new LG 24" model is supposed to be W2452 or something. At least that was what LG's customer service had answered to Crisbe a month ago.

I was told by the folks at Circuit City that they believe this model is discontinued because there is no more in stock on their online store and no plans to buy anymore. I then contacted LG directly and this is the response I was given:

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your continued correspondence.

This model has not actually been discontinued. Whether or not this particular dealer has them anymore is a different story. We have a potential listing for our 2008 product line, but at this time we have no information regarding release dates.

You may wish to keep a watch for a new model W2452. This 24" wide screen, Flatron monitor has a 1680 x 1050 native resolution, has a 5,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio, and a 2 ms response time. At this point, this is all the information we have available on this model. This is the only 24" model currently listed.

Another option would be the new model W2600. This 26" wide screen, Flatron monitor has a 1920 x 1200 native resolution, has the capability to support full 1080p resolutions, has a 3,000:1 Dynamic Contrast Ratio, and a 2 ms response time. At this point, this is all the information we have available on this model. This is the closest model to that which you were currently seeking, without running to a smaller size.

Anyways, that too will most likely be using TN panel considering 2ms response time. 1680 x 1050 resolution would also be quite bad if that early information is correct.

I have found one, I am going to get it if it has 1:1, please someone confirm this, I want to hook up my ps3 to hdmi, this is best monitor I've found for the price I got it at, but if no 1:1 than my search continues.

Also the up is 719192183087

I read something abut the whole rev 704 and 710 and what ever, is this mean this one is 719

I just received my replacement L246WP-BN. It is beautiful. The colors are so much better now :cool:

Both the L246WH-BN and the L246WP-BN have 1:1 settings.

Picture taken of L246WP-BN

The 1:1 option is grayed out because its running at Native resolution right now. If I drop the resolution, the option will be selectable.

The L246WH has one more option under this menu, I'll have to hook it back up and double check. My LCD's manufacture date is March 2007.

EDIT: Here's the third option - Original.

02052008021resizehw5.jpg

L246WH-BN

I'm not sure what this one does - since I don't have any other sources handy to hook up right now. The ARC menu option is disabled entirely unless the monitor detects a different-from-native resolution. The date for the WH is December 2007.

Now that I have both LCDs side by side, there is an obvious difference in color quality. The TN seems washed out and the blacks are not as deep, nor as uniform (backlight bleeding...). My old LCD was an NEC 1970GX - which looks better than the WH, since the NEC's glossy screen helps in brightening the colors - but the WP is definitely the best of the bunch.

Pictures were taken with Nokia N73 ;) - so the shots don't look as good as they do in person.

Original means it scales to full size but maintains aspect ratio.

Not all options are available on all inputs. HDMI has 1:1, though, so you're covered there.

ok so I found one at a local bestbuy, but its feckin 599, circuit city had it for 450 but the last place that had them sold out just today. Uggggg! someone help. Will bestby still price match even if the CC is out of them? at BB.com it says they wont, but do the employees know that. Or, where can I find one tha is 450, I think this is the monitor for me, no problams ive heard and the fhd2400 blb seems to be too much to take a risk on it, or is it? please recomend me something. the westy 24" is on sale at bb for 369, is that too good to pass up, even if the monitor is unsuperior, or does i just suck compared to the LG, I want to use it for my ps3/bluray.

Why in the world would they go to a TN panel. I HATE TN panel. I had the Samsung 226BW panel that was a TN panel and my LG246W blows it away in every regard.

The viewing angles of TN panels are horrendous. Compare the color at the top with the color at the bottom and let me know how it looks. The only reason I bought this LG246W was because it WASN'T a TN panel. I'm glad I bought when I did. It was on sale at Best Buy before Christmas for $449. I'm not at all sorry I bought it and I'm a bit disappointed to think they succumbed to the TN panel 2ms pressure.

Now, if by some miracle the LG doesn't suffer from the horrible viewing angles of other TNs then I'll eat these words.

Now, if by some miracle the LG doesn't suffer from the horrible viewing angles of other TNs then I'll eat these words.

I doubt you will have to, we'd sooner see small plasma monitors than TN(thats still TN) with enough angle improvement for P/MVA fans to forgive it. What we need is a better cheap tech that is the same cost wise, or panel/display makers to get over the 'its an unstable global market, must respond with greed and massive margins' plan.

I'm having a problem with my HDMI settings. I use an Onkyo 705 to switch between PS3 and PC, and each need a different HDMI setting. PS3 needs HDMI->Video or it is horribly overscanned and PC needs HDMI->PC or it is also horribly overscanned. I have tried every possible solution from my video card's settings, and I'm guessing there's nothing I can do. If anyone has a new mobo like evga's 7150 that has HDMI out please tell me if it also needs PC setting enabled because I am hoping that it is only necessary because of the DVI to HDMI cable. I already bought the 7100 w/o hdmi, but it has dual channel ddr2 and the 7150 doesn't for some ridiculous reason, so I will be waiting for the 9800 series that will purportedly carry HDMI out.

The local BB has these on clearance.. Just picked one up for $379. There is still one on display, but I think I got the last new in box unit..

Sweet!!

Riley

The local BB has these on clearance.. Just picked one up for $379. There is still one on display, but I think I got the last new in box unit..

Sweet!!

Riley

Sweet deal, When I was at my somewhat local BB Friday (Harrison st San Francisco) and saw they had it on clearance for $470 (1 left in box and 1 on display) I tried to get them to pricematch a lower clearance price but they wouldn't, there weren't any other BB in my area that had them so I bought it anyways because I wanted something other than a TN and the POS Westy 24". No dead or stuck pixels, not enough overscan with my ps3 to worry about (with HDMI set to video), perfect backlight, just a tiny bit of hum or buzz with backlight turned down but the westy 24's are much louder and my dell 2405 was louder as well. April 07 build date. It's a keeper.

Found the L245WP model for a great price from one of my suppliers, so I have it coming on Monday. I already have the Soyo 24D6 which completely surprised me, so I can't wait to compare the two.

Anyone know if the 245 has the DVI-to-HDMI adapter in the box like the 246, or do I need to pick one up?

Anyone know if the 245 has the DVI-to-HDMI adapter in the box like the 246, or do I need to pick one up?

I've seen reviews that say they do, and some that say the do not. I'm just hoping it was only earlier ones that did not, as the Cnet review is much older than the Xbitlabs review that did get the hdmi>dvi.

I bought this monitor today and I have it hooked up with dvi to my 8600gt. The whole image is skewed or offset to the left. I am using 1920x1200 32bit 60hz. Is there something I am missing here? I am also using the drivers on the CD. Running Windows XP 32-bit. I can't find a way to center the image.

Yeah, it is set to hdmi. I think it is a refresh rate issue. In the maunal it says it needs 60hz vertical and 67.50khz horizontal but inside nvidia control panel it says horizontal scan rate is 74khz. I have no way of adjusting the frequency.

Yeah, it is set to hdmi. I think it is a refresh rate issue. In the maunal it says it needs 60hz vertical and 67.50khz horizontal but inside nvidia control panel it says horizontal scan rate is 74khz. I have no way of adjusting the frequency.

I meant to try changing the HDMI setting from Video to PC or vice versa.

I meant to try changing the HDMI setting from Video to PC or vice versa.

Yeah changing it to video seems to get the correct refresh rate but now the picture is too big. Resizing desktop in nvidia control panel or adjusting the arc on the monitor doesn't fix the problem.

I was lucky enough to get Frys last one in my area, manufactured May 07, the WP, not the WH; so it has the better panel and everything is gravy. It does have 2 hot/stuck pixels (white on black background) that I cant seem to fix over the week that Ive had it. Basically I had my eye on the Lacie new 24 that ships this month, the $2000 Eizo designed for multimedia and a 16:9 ratio unlike all these other 16:10 monitors, and the new NEC 24 with the H-ips panel. My primary use is Ps3 and as a nice monitor to hook my Macbook into. Im happy with this panel because it seems like the nicest of sub 1000 24 inchers, non glossy screen, accurate colors, natural image, no blacklight bleeding that I can tell on mine.

These 2 pixels are bothering me but there is no more of these at Fry's( or anywhere for that matter), and was wondering if yall think I should return it for my cash(I had to pay 570 total with tax) and save my money for alittle better one--- with no stuck pixels, newer tech, and a more professional name. I/e my number one pick is the Lacie 24

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11034

or just stick with this monitor, enjoy it for what it is and hope the pixel fixes itself.

So far I like the monitor but it does seem like the brightness is alittle lacking, and overall color isnt as vibrant as I would like especially in video games. When its connected to my mac I have it hardware calibrated and it looks beautiful, however when connected to the PS3 all I can do is select those premade configs and the only one which i kinda like is Standard.

Should I get my money back and save alittle more for the Lacie, or keep it and enjoy it.

Thanks.

I got a refurbished/recertified L246WP last week from 3B Tech for $444.14 total, after tax. It has a couple of small scratches on the stand base, but everything else looks new. I used DPB (Dead Pixel Buddy) to look for dead pixels. There are none! Viewing angles are awesome and no backlight bleeding.

http://3btech.net/bllgl224wilc.html

Should I get my money back and save alittle more for the Lacie, or keep it and enjoy it.

I would see if any of the Best Buys in your area have any left. I just got mine on Friday for ~$515 with tax and am using it with my PS3 and MacBook as well. Some BB's have had it on clearance for much cheaper than mine did which is why I was probably still able to find one new in box. Maybe you could get a sweet deal on a display model if they don't have any NIB. I have no dead or stuck pixels. I do have some black crush which I wish I could get rid of but I guess that is an inherit issue with VA panels. I need to try to calibrate it and hopefully get it looking a little better with dark images. If the Lacie was an IPS I would say it would be worth the extra but it's still a VA right? I'm hopeful Apple will release a 24" Cinema Display using the H-IPS panel that is in the 24" iMacs. It will also need to have HDMI and scaling modes for me to buy one, hope it's less than a grand if/when it happens.

After wanting a ACD for a long time I decided that the NEC with the imac 24 inch panel would be the perfect monitor, plus they have a 5 year warranty, and Rapid Response for gaming. Input lag seems really good on this LG, but the new NEC also only supports 72%srgb, so im about to shoot myself in the head deciding which monitor to stick with. The ONLY OPTION that has everything I want is the Eizo, but damn if it isnt $2000 +.

Out of this particular LG, current ACD's, Nec, Lacie, and Eizo (and Samsungs current offerings and the other Oem monitors like gateway dell and hp), I think the Lg246wp is the one to have over about 5 months of research for my particular use. Viewsonic thumbs down as well.

I just played Devil may cry 4 all the way through on this monitor and it was a very nice, but natural, experience. It wasnt popping out in my face, but blacks were nice, colors were perfectly saturated, and all that. However only 1080p content isnt stretched. In 720 stuff like Dmc4, even when the monitor is set to "original" it still stretches that.

This monitor looks alot better hooked up to a computer than a game console, but Im ultra hardcore picky and after playing a game on it for 10 hours I cant complain much.

Now that its sitting on my desk though====> what to do what to do what to do....... no electronics store in my area has one NIB, if I didnt have these pixel problems I wouldnt hesitate to keep it.

-----mine is Nib, and does anyone know if the three year warranty covers backlight replacement?

Thanks

I am using Nvidia 169.32 drivers and all I do is set the resolution. monitor is set to HDMI>video. Manually set the res to 1920*1200 in the display properties menu from the desktop. Sounds like you are running in 1080p mode, which this monitor can do, but is not native. Setting the res from Nvidia control panel is a little bass ackwards.

I am using Nvidia 169.32 drivers and all I do is set the resolution. monitor is set to HDMI>video. Manually set the res to 1920*1200 in the display properties menu from the desktop. Sounds like you are running in 1080p mode, which this monitor can do, but is not native. Setting the res from Nvidia control panel is a little bass ackwards.

I tried using the windows settings but i can't get it to display 1920x1080 without the screen being offset. I really like this LCD but if this doesn't work out I'm gonna have to return it.

I noticed that during boot up, if you press the ok/auto button, it says "1920x1200 hdmi" but once i get into windows, it says "1080p hdmi"

I don't think my xfx 8600gt likes this monitor. I tried it on an old ati 9800 pro and it works just fine.

yeah 1920*1080 looks real funny for me in windows too because it is not the panels native resolution. You need to run at 1920*1200 for it to look correct. Try updating gfx drivers.

yeah 1920*1080 looks real funny for me in windows too because it is not the panels native resolution. You need to run at 1920*1200 for it to look correct. Try updating gfx drivers.

I went over to my friends to try it on his 8600gts and it does the same thing. I have a 8600gt and I've tried 169.32,169.28,171.16 and all of them give me the same problem. I'm about to get an ati 2600xt to try out or something. I wonder if it's the monitor??

I went over to my friends to try it on his 8600gts and it does the same thing. I have a 8600gt and I've tried 169.32,169.28,171.16 and all of them give me the same problem. I'm about to get an ati 2600xt to try out or something. I wonder if it's the monitor??

So you are telling me that there is no way to select the display resolution?

So you are telling me that there is no way to select the display resolution?

I can select 1920x1200 but the screen is offset to the left, there is no way to move it. I think the display is detecting the wrong mode, its stuck in "1080p hdmi" even when i use 1920*1200. 1920x1080 works fine.

Very strange. I have had no issues on my 7950GT or on my 8800GTX. Maybe the 8600 does not support 1920*1200 like you are assuming.

Under the Nvidia control panel>display>manage custom resolutions, do you have the treat as HDTV button checked? Maybe you need to make a custom resolution?

Very strange. I have had no issues on my 7950GT or on my 8800GTX. Maybe the 8600 does not support 1920*1200 like you are assuming.

Under the Nvidia control panel>display>manage custom resolutions, do you have the treat as HDTV button checked? Maybe you need to make a custom resolution?

Yeah custom resolution dissapeared after i switched to vista today. It didn't help though, I think the computer is setting the right resolution but the monitor is not detecting the signal correctly. Perhaps I should just get the 8800gtx, but its really taking my chances.

I am running XP FYI. I find it really hard to believe that your card does not support this monitor. I would just try as many things as possible as it is a really good monitor. If you game, an 8800GTX or better should be in your future. Also you might want to try to contact XFX support, they may have some insight.

Back