LG L246W

Chrisbe,

I'm not sure about the speaker, but the USB cable provides a connection for the built in USB hub on the monitor. Hook up the cable to the monitor and an open port on your PC and then you can use the built in USB ports on the side of the monitor.

Great. Thanks on the USB. Makes sense :D

I am using the DVI to HDMI connection from my Radeon 3870 to my L246W. I want to be able to use the audio that is provided by the Radeon. I see that the monitor has a green jack on the side next to the USB ports. I was hoping that I would be able to plug my speakers into this but nope. Has anyone know what this jack is for and how to use it? Has anyone been able to do what I am trying to do?

I am using the DVI to HDMI connection from my Radeon 3870 to my L246W. I want to be able to use the audio that is provided by the Radeon. I see that the monitor has a green jack on the side next to the USB ports. I was hoping that I would be able to plug my speakers into this but nope. Has anyone know what this jack is for and how to use it? Has anyone been able to do what I am trying to do?

Are you using the provided DVI-HDMI cable? If so, you can't do that, unfortunately. The DVI-HDMI cables I have seen don't carry audio for some reason. If you use the adapter that came with your 3870 and an HDMI cable, then it will work. The green jack is audio out from the HDMI input. So if you use an HDMI cable with the adapter instead of the DVI-HDMI cable, it'll work.

That's it. Makes sense to. Hmmm. I am already using the DVI-HDMI adaptor for connecting my PC to my HDTV. I guess I need another one of these. Or I need to find a DVI, to HDMI cable which carries sound which I doubt exists. Damm. I will have to see if ATI sells them.

This looks like it'll work. I'm planning to get an HDMI cable anyways, I'll probably pick that up too and see if it works. I'll let you know when I get it.

The DVI end on it has the pins in the middle that are missing from the DVI-HDMI cables I have that are present on the DVI-HDMI adapter ATI supplied with the card.

Is there any idea yet on how much longer the 246 is gonna be available? I kinda want a second one and if I do it, I want it to be the same model so there's no color discrepancies etc between the two screens...

I took my FHD2400 back to BB. Couldn't stand the poor viewing angles. Even at optimal ergonomics, certain colors were horribly distorted, like in "28 weeks after". I also had noticeable bleeding around the edges.

The LG was gone in all stores in the DC area, but they agreed to sell me the display model. I got a good deal on it since they dropped the price on it on the day that I went in. Down to 489, despite the fact that they have no stock, and another $50 off for being the display model. I picked up the 4 year warranty just to cover myself though.

Anyhow, this monitor is leaps and bounds better than the Gateway. I like that it is not glossy, and the viewing angles are far better. Also, it's not enough lag for me to notice in TF2.

Warren

This looks like it'll work. I'm planning to get an HDMI cable anyways, I'll probably pick that up too and see if it works. I'll let you know when I get it.

The DVI end on it has the pins in the middle that are missing from the DVI-HDMI cables I have that are present on the DVI-HDMI adapter ATI supplied with the card.

I bought another DVI to HDMI adaptor from ATI. It doesnt work. Keep in mind I have this set up to my HDTV at the same time and that is working just fine. So I have it set properly but cannot get it to work on this monitor. Any ideas?

I bought another DVI to HDMI adaptor from ATI. It doesnt work. Keep in mind I have this set up to my HDTV at the same time and that is working just fine. So I have it set properly but cannot get it to work on this monitor. Any ideas?

On the adapter you bought, is there a section of pins missing in the middle? It may also only be able to put audio on one channel at a time, but I'm not sure about that. I should have the cable Friday, I can mess with it then and see what happens.

The adaptor I have has all the pins. I have also tested this using my HDTV and I get sound. So it is the monitor.

I just bought my L246 wp at BB a few days ago. I am running Vista 64bit edition, and my question is the following: should I install the monitor drivers provided by LG?:confused:

I just bought my L246 wp at BB a few days ago. I am running Vista 64bit edition, and my question is the following: should I install the monitor drivers provided by LG?:confused:

I didn't even open the CD. I doubt it is needed. Monitors don't need drivers I don't think.

I AM however having a problem in that the monitor does not wake up when I turn my PC on in the morning. I'm running Vista x64 and nVidia 8800GT 169.02.

I didn't even open the CD. I doubt it is needed. Monitors don't need drivers I don't think.

I AM however having a problem in that the monitor does not wake up when I turn my PC on in the morning. I'm running Vista x64 and nVidia 8800GT 169.02.

Thanks for your answer!

Have you bought this yet and tested it? I have narrowed down the problem. I hooked up the Monitor directly to me cable box and the sound worked fine. With the Radeon 3870 comes an DVI-HDMI adaptor. When this is used it works but this will not allow for me to use the 1920x1200 resolution without shifting the screen way to the left. Also the sound breaks up. I was using this adaptor to connect to my HDTV and when set at 1280x720 the screen is fine and the sound works thru the L246W.

The second DVI-HDMI adaptor I bought from ATI allows me to set the resolution to 1920x1200 but it will not pass the sound thru it. Strange. I assume the adpators were the same but apparently the one that comes with the Radeon converts the signal to 720p (I could be wrong) and the other is a true adaptor but no sound. It might be that the Radeon can only pass the sound thru using this adaptor. I need to verify this. That is why I want to know if you were able to use the cable you were thinking of buying.

Have you bought this yet and tested it? I have narrowed down the problem. I hooked up the Monitor directly to me cable box and the sound worked fine. With the Radeon 3870 comes an DVI-HDMI adaptor. When this is used it works but this will not allow for me to use the 1920x1200 resolution without shifting the screen way to the left. Also the sound breaks up. I was using this adaptor to connect to my HDTV and when set at 1280x720 the screen is fine and the sound works thru the L246W.

The second DVI-HDMI adaptor I bought from ATI allows me to set the resolution to 1920x1200 but it will not pass the sound thru it. Strange. I assume the adpators were the same but apparently the one that comes with the Radeon converts the signal to 720p (I could be wrong) and the other is a true adaptor but no sound. It might be that the Radeon can only pass the sound thru using this adaptor. I need to verify this. That is why I want to know if you were able to use the cable you were thinking of buying.

I should have it tomorrow, I'll let you know then. Couple things though, there is no conversion taking place in either adapter. It is simply a couple wires going from the DVI layout and plug to the HDMI layout and plug. When using the ATI adapter, try changing the HDMI mode - from Video to PC or vice-versa. This makes a difference on my computer that is running through my receiver. When set to PC, the picture is rescaled and shifted, when set to Video, it works properly. I think ATI sees the monitor as a TV regardless of whether it actually is when HDMI is connected, so it adjusts the picture as it thinks it should, for some reason. Worth trying, in any case.

Anyways, I'll post back when I get the cable.

I should have it tomorrow, I'll let you know then. Couple things though, there is no conversion taking place in either adapter. It is simply a couple wires going from the DVI layout and plug to the HDMI layout and plug. When using the ATI adapter, try changing the HDMI mode - from Video to PC or vice-versa. This makes a difference on my computer that is running through my receiver. When set to PC, the picture is rescaled and shifted, when set to Video, it works properly. I think ATI sees the monitor as a TV regardless of whether it actually is when HDMI is connected, so it adjusts the picture as it thinks it should, for some reason. Worth trying, in any case.

Anyways, I'll post back when I get the cable.

Is there a way to force DVI mode on the monitor or the card? On my ATI and Nvidia cards that have HDMI support via DVI with adapter, the monitor still goes into HDMI mode.

I got the cable, it doesn't work. M1 is infocus specific, it only looks like a DVI cable :( It's 2 rows of pins wider. Oh well, the HDMI cable + adapter I got does work.

I haven't found a way of forcing output mode on the ATI card, and my nvidia card is connected on VGA so as to get 1920x1200 out of it. (it'd go through the receiver otherwise) I'm not sure what is actually going on with the computer. The text through the receiver is kinda blurry like it is getting rescaled twice. I think the receiver is doing something funny with it... my Xbox doesn't look like that through it. Hooked up directly to the monitor the ATI card looks perfect, though, using a DVI-HDMI cable. I haven't tried the adapter + HDMI cable to the monitor. If you want me to, I can run the nvidia card through the receiver and the ATI direct to see how they do that way as well.

I had a "shimmering image" problem with my monitor and reinstalled my ATI drivers, to no avail. So I called LG to see if it was the LG monitor driver, because I couldn't find an updated driver on the LG Webpage. The LG guy said there is no updated driver on the LG Webpage because it's just the standard Windows driver.

It turned out that I needed to check the Composite Sync option on my ATI Catalyst Control Center software because I am using the CSM option on the Picture menu (RGB connection).

Will I notice an improvement if I get a DVI video card? (PCI - or PCI Express, if I want to replace my present card instead of just put a new one in next to it).

Is there a way to force DVI mode on the monitor or the card? On my ATI and Nvidia cards that have HDMI support via DVI with adapter, the monitor still goes into HDMI mode.

I found something unexpected related to this. With the Radeon 3870 comes an DVI-HDMI adaptor. When I use this, regardless of port and monitor it forces HDMI mode. I have tried various things to change this to DVI mode but cannot. The nice thing about HDMI mode is that sound is transmitted.

I bought another DVI-HDMI adaptor from the ATI online store for under 8 bucks thinking this was the same adaptor. But this only provides DVI mode and thus no sound. Seems the first is more or less a converter and the latter an adaptor.

I got the cable, it doesn't work. M1 is infocus specific, it only looks like a DVI cable :( It's 2 rows of pins wider. Oh well, the HDMI cable + adapter I got does work.

I haven't found a way of forcing output mode on the ATI card, and my nvidia card is connected on VGA so as to get 1920x1200 out of it. (it'd go through the receiver otherwise) I'm not sure what is actually going on with the computer. The text through the receiver is kinda blurry like it is getting rescaled twice. I think the receiver is doing something funny with it... my Xbox doesn't look like that through it. Hooked up directly to the monitor the ATI card looks perfect, though, using a DVI-HDMI cable. I haven't tried the adapter + HDMI cable to the monitor. If you want me to, I can run the nvidia card through the receiver and the ATI direct to see how they do that way as well.

As I stated earlier I have the DVI-HDMI adaptor that came with the Radeon 3870 and one that I bought from Ati.com. When I use the one that came with the 3870 it puts the monitor in HDMI mode. The sound works thru the L246W with a speaker attached but at 1920x1200 the screen is shifted to the left, regardless of whether I set the HDMI setting to PC or Video and regardless of Full or 1 to 1. If I swap out the adaptor for the one I got from Ati.com the monitor works fine and is in DVI mode. And it is exactly like using the DVI-HDMI cable that came with the L246W, meaning no sound.

I contacted LG about the sound issue. The support person told me I will not get sound using a DVI-HDMI cable whether the pins are there or not. The signal must be true HDMI. Which suggests to me that the adaptor that came with the 3870 triggers a different response from the card regardless of which port is used.

I am in contact with an ATI support person and hope to get some clarification on this soon.

I also looking for some advice if u can give me guys , I'm thinking buyin this lcd L245WP-BN for my ps3 in order to get full hd for my ps3 , so what do you think ? is there somone got this lcd with ps3 and how about it ?

thanks

I also looking for some advice if u can give me guys , I'm thinking buyin this lcd L245WP-BN for my ps3 in order to get full hd for my ps3 , so what do you think ? is there somone got this lcd with ps3 and how about it ?

thanks

I've had it hooked up to a PS3 at one point. Works fine. There is a slight overscan, but nothing readily noticeable.

Hi there,

First of all, thanks for this great thread, since there is not a lot of info on LG L245W or L246W on the web, especially about the latest revisions.

I was about to order LG L245 from our wholesalers and I came accross that there actually two alike LG 22'' lcd monitors with alike specifications, but different price tags and slightly different names.

1. LG L245WP-BN - 650 USD
2. LG L245WPM-BN - 710 USD

Some webshops, have listed them also for different price tags, but some mention LG L245WPM-BN as having 16,2m colors and L245WP-BN having 16,7m ..

I checked my country's LG website and they have listed only one LG LCD 22'' monitor, whose name starts with L245...and its L245WP, so I am confused as to the L245WPM-BN model..

As far as I understood all L245WP comes only with S-PVA panel, however the info above would suggest that L245WP is also available with TN panel :eek: ?
It seems nonsense also because of the fact that the one with 16,2m colors is more expensive.

some webshops even have different pics for L245WP-BN and L245WPM-BN..

L245WP-BN
L245WP-BN.jpg

L245WPM-BN
l245wp_s_right_4.jpg

any help is appreciated :cool:

Not sure about the L245WPM-BN, but I have L245WP-BN, and I can tell you it's not a TN panel.

In case anyone has the same issue, I found out today that the "M" in L245WM-BN stands for Multimedia and it has built in speakers :)

which LCD would you rather chose L245WM-BN (late 2007 edition) or DELL 2407WFP (REV AA02) (year 2006) ?

Has anyone else had this problem? When I run my L246W at 25 brightness, it will occasionally exhibit what I could best describe as an undulation of the backlight. Setting the brightness to 50 or so for a bit gets rid of it and I can set it back to 25 again. Not sure if this is common or if I need to try to get a replacement while I can.

Guys...I was lucky enough to find the LG L246W @ BB last night (01/18) Had to drive 50+ (one way) to Framingham, MA. I received a serial # 703 with a March build. Paid $479.99 plus tax & had a $175.00 in certificates & rewards points. I love it, it's much better then the L226 TN panel that I returned.

One question.....My L226 came with some calibration software called "Forte Manager" & the L246BW did not. I'm having a hell of a time trying to tweak the picture without that software!

I noticed some of others peoples settings that doesn't cut it for me. Should I set my monitor back to it's factory defaults & use the Nvidia graphics cards software? Using an older AGP 6800GT.

Thanks All!

Alex

Guys...I was lucky enough to find the LG L246W @ BB last night (01/18) Had to drive 50+ (one way) to Framingham, MA. I received a serial # 703 with a March build. Paid $479.99 plus tax & had a $175.00 in certificates & rewards points. I love it, it's much better then the L226 TN panel that I returned.

One question.....My L226 came with some calibration software called "Forte Manager" & the L246BW did not. I'm having a hell of a time trying to tweak the picture without that software!

I noticed some of others peoples settings that doesn't cut it for me. Should I set my monitor back to it's factory defaults & use the Nvidia graphics cards software? Using an older AGP 6800GT.

Thanks All!

Alex
Alex,

You can download the fortemanager software from here. It doesn't officially support this monitor, but I have it installed and it seems to work fine for me (my 246 was manufactured in Feb). I haven't tried the newer version of fortemanager (I installed mine back in May), so I don't know if the latest still works, but I don't think you have anything to lose by trying it.

Alex,

You can download the fortemanager software from here. It doesn't officially support this monitor, but I have it installed and it seems to work fine for me (my 246 was manufactured in Feb). I haven't tried the newer version of fortemanager (I installed mine back in May), so I don't know if the latest still works, but I don't think you have anything to lose by trying it.

Boot: You're a god man! Geez Louise...I tried finding the Forte Manager on LG's website! What a PITA! Didn't matter what search words I used, simply couldn't find it! I have version 2.78 already installed from the L226 I purchased/returned. It doesn't seem to work (I get a blank greyish screen) I will unstall & reinstall version 2.80. Many, many thanks for the link!

BTW...Could you give me you settings for the L247W? I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Alex

Since the L246WP-BN seems to be discontinued, does anyone have any idea when LG will be releasing a new model? I'm assuming they will produce another 24"(?). I have searched, but I can't seem to find any info.

Since the L246WP-BN seems to be discontinued, does anyone have any idea when LG will be releasing a new model? I'm assuming they will produce another 24"(?). I have searched, but I can't seem to find any info.

BTW....I know that the new 24" LG will in fact be a TN. I found a link to the new LG 24" & 26" somewhere. The 26" will be MVA.

I went to my Local Bestbuy and bought a display model of the LG 246, was 501.99 clearance, and got them to knock off 12% extra.

Pretty happy.

I picked up the last L246WP-BN Best Buy had in stock at the Yorba Linda store. I got it for $509.99 clearance. Glad I did now that I found out the new ones will be TN! I haven't had much time to spend with this beast yet, but so far I really like it!

I picked up the last L246WP-BN Best Buy had in stock at the Yorba Linda store. I got it for $509.99 clearance. Glad I did now that I found out the new ones will be TN! I haven't had much time to spend with this beast yet, but so far I really like it!

Mine's making me pretty happy right now, especially for the price.

Set it up using the standard settings people seem to be using, and used a few calibration tools to make sure.

Using the black screen test, I can see *NO* backlight bleed whatsoever. I was expecting to see a little (because I came from some 22" TN panels), but surprisingly, I can say it's a totally even black everywhere on the screen.

Feb 2007 date on mine. Not sure if there's any probs with ones from that date but really nothing wrong with mine, that I can see. Only problem is I'm using it over VGA cable right now... bought open box display item and didn't even get a box.. just Monitor, power cable, vga cable. Hah.

Gonna try to pickup a DVI-HDMI connector, right now I have a feeling my screen refresh rate is stuck low at 60hz at this res (though not sure what max is at 1920 * 1200 for this??)

Great thread here :)
After a lot of reading comparing features and prices I finally grabbed one of these. For my $$ and needs it was the best avail.
I went to the Salem, NH BB yesterday-grabbed the last one, the floor model.
I mentioned the $479.00 price as noted above although that BB still had these listed at $599.00!
When the guy checked his system, most of the stores had the higher price, only 2 had it at $479.00
After i mentioned that the HDMI>DVI cable was missing and would cost me he let me take it for $439.00
As we were unhooking the cables, I noticed a "gold" ended HDMI>DVI cable near another display monitor. Well I asked and the guy said go ahaed, take it!
So after using some GCs -$380.00 out the door ;)
Although I think I will go and grab the 4-yr warranty in the next week or so JIC :D
And it's so far a beautiful piece, what a diff in size from my 21.5" Samsung 215T.
No defects or problems noted on Passmark, I also ran 10 mins of a DVD and another 10 of COD4
For a 24" non-TN you can beat this deal, even though its a close out model.
Thanx to all who posted here with info.

Ginfest: Those 2 that were in stock @ BB up here in New England were @ the Framingham MA. store. I took one that was sealed in it's retail box on Friday 01/18 for $479.99 minus all my certificates & rewards coupons. Tried to give them a 10% off coupon but they wouldn't bite because it's was on clearence (oh well)

I'm glad people are still finding a couple here & there. I was going to go to the Salem, NH store & save on the tax, but I wanted to get a sealed box 1st, then open 2nd. Looks like BB took care of you! Solid deal IMHO.

As I stated earlier I have the DVI-HDMI adaptor that came with the Radeon 3870 and one that I bought from Ati.com. When I use the one that came with the 3870 it puts the monitor in HDMI mode. The sound works thru the L246W with a speaker attached but at 1920x1200 the screen is shifted to the left, regardless of whether I set the HDMI setting to PC or Video and regardless of Full or 1 to 1. If I swap out the adaptor for the one I got from Ati.com the monitor works fine and is in DVI mode. And it is exactly like using the DVI-HDMI cable that came with the L246W, meaning no sound.

I contacted LG about the sound issue. The support person told me I will not get sound using a DVI-HDMI cable whether the pins are there or not. The signal must be true HDMI. Which suggests to me that the adaptor that came with the 3870 triggers a different response from the card regardless of which port is used.

I am in contact with an ATI support person and hope to get some clarification on this soon.

Just to clarify, are you saying if I use the adapter at http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=3526142, it will force the monitor into DVI mode?

If you use the cable that came with the monitor, you are seeing HDMI mode correct?

Ginfest: Those 2 that were in stock @ BB up here in New England were @ the Framingham MA. store. I took one that was sealed in it's retail box on Friday 01/18 for $479.99 minus all my certificates & rewards coupons. Tried to give them a 10% off coupon but they wouldn't bite because it's was on clearence (oh well)

I'm glad people are still finding a couple here & there. I was going to go to the Salem, NH store & save on the tax, but I wanted to get a sealed box 1st, then open 2nd. Looks like BB took care of you! Solid deal IMHO.

ty :)
your post gave me the idea to chk the BBs for this
I would have preferred a sealed box but finally caved due to the price and the "free" HDMI>DVI cable. Plus the fact that I could always return it to the store in 14 days.
I will grab the 4 yr warranty this week-even though this one is "perfect" you never know ;)
I tried to use 12% rewards card member coupon but it wouldn't take so I figured WTH -it was cheap enough for me!

Back