LG L246W

New 245BW? I didn't know there was a new one. IF you are talking about the TN version of the panel... there is no what that it has better viewing angles than the MVA panel the LG has.

A new one, as in I just bought a new one from Best Buy. :)

And yes, it DOES have better vertical viewing angles than the MVA panel. I can see it for myself when comparing them right next to each other. The LG turns yellow. The LG has better horizontal viewing angles, which will only be an issue if you sit to the side of the display. I sit directly in front of my new 245BW, so it's ace.

So why would vertical matter then? Anyhow, my LG doesn't turn yellow when moving vertically until you hit at least 100+ degrees.

Quite odd. Mine doesn't turn yellow vertically either. I am looking to pick up a second 24" to run dual monitor for work use though. The 245BW is a prime candidate at the moment due to its built-in height adjustment and decent pricing.

Outside of every box there is a serialnumber mine started with 705 so i am guessing that this means the year 2007 and May as manufacturing date. This is very handy because if this is true you don't even have to open the box to know if it is a rev1 or rev2 monitor.

EDIT:Can those who can check the box for the serialnumber and then check the back of their monitor for the manufacturing date so that we can verify that this is true ?

also anyone else's bezel at the bottom right corner (or any corner). Is it firmly attached to the back piece of plasticfor you? It doesn't affect anything just looks like the bezel is not firmly seated compared to the other corners

Going through this thread too and a few people have had this issue. Just debating if i should go back and exchange it for another

The bezel on mine is flush and not movable anywhere.

Also, I get no buzzing sound, in sRGB mode, at any brightness. (I usually run 30).

The service menu says 06/11/02 V 1.420
I'm assuming that's Nov 2nd, 2006.

I just got another one of these. This time its for work. I never should have returned the last one I had. Mine is a March, 2007 model. I took a look at the service menu and it claims that this monitor is a 245WP (I know that the 245 and 246 are only cosmetically different) and gives a 06/11/02 date V1.420. Accidentally hit the Nvram Initial button. Hopefully it didn't do anything.

I do get a buzzing noise with this model if the brightness is not at 100. I have to turn the monitor completely around and put my ear next to the rear grill to clearly hear. It is so strange. At 100 brightness there is no noise, and as soon as it hits 98, it appears. Viewing this monitor from a foot and a half, I can't hear it even if I strain my ears. There is some ambient noise at the office I work, but it is very quiet. My monitor has no dead or stuck pixels and absolutely pristine back light which I care about more.

Edit: My monitor was not V 1.420, It was actually V 1.440

I've had the LG before but had to return it because of a dead pixel and I'm waiting for it to go on sale again. My question is with the brightness settings everyone is using. I read that sRGB is the only mode that gives good blacks, but everyone seems to put their brightness around 20-40. When I had my LG if the brightness was that low everything was really dull and took away from the great colors that it can have. Maybe I just like brighter monitors, I don't know. But how many people keep their brightness that low? (I preferred mine around 65)

If your monitor has the noise issue, it happens at 98 brightness and below.

I went to BB to get my new 246. It wasn't on sale, however, Fry's.com has the monitor for $499.95. My BB price matched it from the previous price of 600.

I just got another one of these. This time its for work. I never should have returned the last one I had. Mine is a March, 2007 model. I took a look at the service menu and it claims that this monitor is a 245WP (I know that the 245 and 246 are only cosmetically different) and gives a 06/11/02 date V1.420. Accidentally hit the Nvram Initial button. Hopefully it didn't do anything.

I do get a buzzing noise with this model if the brightness is not at 100. I have to turn the monitor completely around and put my ear next to the rear grill to clearly hear. It is so strange. At 100 brightness there is no noise, and as soon as it hits 98, it appears. Viewing this monitor from a foot and a half, I can't hear it even if I strain my ears. There is some ambient noise at the office I work, but it is very quiet. My monitor has no dead or stuck pixels and absolutely pristine back light which I care about more.

Edit: My monitor was not V 1.420, It was actually V 1.440

This, I believe, proves my point. Some people just do not hear the noise. I guarantee you that the noise you hear when you put your ear to it and strain is exactly the same noise I heard from two feet away. There's no question that some people will be bothered by it and others won't. As simple as that. For me, it's unquestionably unacceptable. There's this serene silence the second you turn the display off.

Anyway, the LG went back to Best Buy today. As much as I liked its picture (despite its flaws), the noise drove me nuts. 3 panels I tested, so this is without doubt a quality control issue.

Has anyone had a problem with this monitor blanking out for 1-2 seconds every once in a while? I'm on my 4th L246WP, this one from Frys.com, and the panel so far doesn't have any dead pixels or other obvious issues I've had with the previous 3 from Best Buy. I'm hoping this isn't a defect with my new monitor.

Has anyone had a problem with this monitor blanking out for 1-2 seconds every once in a while? I'm on my 4th L246WP, this one from Frys.com, and the panel so far doesn't have any dead pixels or other obvious issues I've had with the previous 3 from Best Buy. I'm hoping this isn't a defect with my new monitor.

Make sure all the cables are well in place, both monitor and device.

Is it manufactured before June 2007 ?

This one from Frys.com was manufactured in April 2007. For the other interested person, the serial number outside the box started with 704, so it sounds likely that it is year followed by month.

I came across another thread in this forum about other users of the BenQ FP241W monitors having 1-2 second blackouts:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1178150

I think the BenQ FP241W uses the same panel as the LG L246WP. But I'll have to keep searching to see if the problem is related to the LCD panel, the graphics card and drivers, or cables.

This one from Frys.com was manufactured in April 2007. For the other interested person, the serial number outside the box started with 704, so it sounds likely that it is year followed by month.

I came across another thread in this forum about other users of the BenQ FP241W monitors having 1-2 second blackouts:

I think the BenQ FP241W uses the same panel as the LG L246WP. But I'll have to keep searching to see if the problem is related to the LCD panel, the graphics card and drivers, or cables.

ok then it's a revision 1 monitor they are known to have problems. Mine had a very annoying sound when brightness was from 0 to 99 it was a rev1 monitor manufactured in May 2007.

What graphics card do you have ?

I returned it and have now found a swedish store that guarantees a rev2 monitor based on the first three numbers of the serialnumber. They have displays made in October 2007 (710******).

But i have already heard from one person who got problems with them the backlight died he can see the picture though if he uses a flashlight on the sides of the monitor.

ok then it's a revision 1 monitor they are known to have problems. Mine had a very annoying sound when brightness was from 0 to 99 it was a rev1 monitor manufactured in May 2007.

I returned it and have now found a swedish store that guarantees a rev2 monitor based on the first three numbers of the serialnumber. They have displays made in October 2007 (710******).

But i have already heard from one person who got problems with them the backlight died he can see the picture though if he uses a flashlight on the sides of the monitor.

What graphics card do you have ?

I have an ATI Radeon X1900XT 512 MB from Connect3D. I haven't seen any of these blackout problems with the Dell 1905FP that I've been using over DVI for the past few months.

OK you guys are going to love this. Talk about flip-flopping. OK here goes! :D :D

So I had returned my 2nd LG to Best Buy for buzzing issues, and picked up the Samsung 245BW. I liked it a lot, and said so here. No buzzing that's audible.

HOWEVER, using it for a few hours, my eyes just weren't happy. Something about the picture of the Samsung is...harsh. It's like I can't get it smooth enough without making it blurry, and when it's sharp it just hurts my eyes. I also detect a bit of....moire (for lack of a better word) around text. Almost like red/green color tinges. Yes, the screen was 100% calibrated when I saw this.

I decided to take the screen LG had sent me, back out of the box to compare again. Ahhh, the "warmth" of the LG felt much better to my eyes. However, the buzzing in sRGB mode drove me crazy within seconds. Then, for whatever reason, I switched the picture mode to USER, and no matter what brightness setting I use, there's NO MORE BUZZING! I'm sure my first 2 LGs had buzzing no matter what mode I used (at less than 100 brightness), but for some reason this April 2007 model has no buzzing in USER mode at any brightness setting.

So, I think I'm going to stick with the LG. As I had said way earlier in the thread, it is a great screen, but there's no way I'd have kept it if it kept buzzing. I calibrated the screen in OS X 10.5 Leopard, and it looks fabulous. sRGB mode looks identical to my eyes when calibrated, though the buzzing is ghastly. So, looks like the Samsung goes back, and the LG is mine once again. Wonder how much LG will charge me for keeping it?

Thanks for reading. :D

OK you guys are going to love this. Talk about flip-flopping. OK here goes! :D :D

So I had returned my 2nd LG to Best Buy for buzzing issues, and picked up the Samsung 245BW. I liked it a lot, and said so here. No buzzing that's audible.

HOWEVER, using it for a few hours, my eyes just weren't happy. Something about the picture of the Samsung is...harsh. It's like I can't get it smooth enough without making it blurry, and when it's sharp it just hurts my eyes. I also detect a bit of....moire (for lack of a better word) around text. Almost like red/green color tinges. Yes, the screen was 100% calibrated when I saw this.

I decided to take the screen LG had sent me, back out of the box to compare again. Ahhh, the "warmth" of the LG felt much better to my eyes. However, the buzzing in sRGB mode drove me crazy within seconds. Then, for whatever reason, I switched the picture mode to USER, and no matter what brightness setting I use, there's NO MORE BUZZING! I'm sure my first 2 LGs had buzzing no matter what mode I used (at less than 100 brightness), but for some reason this April 2007 model has no buzzing in USER mode at any brightness setting.

So, I think I'm going to stick with the LG. As I had said way earlier in the thread, it is a great screen, but there's no way I'd have kept it if it kept buzzing. I calibrated the screen in OS X 10.5 Leopard, and it looks fabulous. sRGB mode looks identical to my eyes when calibrated, though the buzzing is ghastly. So, looks like the Samsung goes back, and the LG is mine once again. Wonder how much LG will charge me for keeping it?

Thanks for reading. :D

Sounds great that your happy with the LG. I have secured an October 2007 rev2 model now though so am hopeing that SRGB mode will work great.

Sounds great that your happy with the LG. I have secured an October 2007 rev2 model now though so am hopeing that SRGB mode will work great.

I'm interested if this supposed rev2 really makes a difference. At this point it makes no difference to me, but still....will be interesting! Good luck!

so how does everything look via component? I might be getting one of these within the next week. It's either this or the benq fp421w. But I'm a little reluctant to get the benq seeing as how I can't find one to mess with in person.

Overall, I'm just looking to get it for use with my 360 and as a monitor. But would like to be able to expand if necessary.

360 generally looks better over VGA than the component output. You can get this cable.

I tried both, and the VGA is better by a noticeable amount, but the component is certainly decent.

I definitely plan to use the 360 over VGA. However, if I plan to get an additional source and use component input, how bad is the overscan if any?

I bought a rev 1 monitor a long time ago. Xbox 360 over vga did 1080p with no overscan. I can't remember with 100% certainty but I believe using Xbox 360 over component resulted in, by my guess, a half centimeter of overscan. This annoyed me because at the time I played the new Pac-Man championship edition non stop. The fruit icons that appeared at the bottom of the screen were slightly cut off.

I never used the HDMI input with anything but that may too have overscan. Someone may have mentioned it in this thread so you may get an answer by running a search.

Went to Best Buy to pick one of these up today but they refused to price match against Fry's at $499 - saying Fry's was 50 miles away and not considered local.
DAMN!

Considered grabbing the FHD2400 but decided not to.

$599 is a little out of my price range for the LG 24 so hoping BB will price cut soon.

I just got the HDMI cable for my PS3 today, and I wanna make sure I'm doing this right?

I have my computer hooked up via HDMI, so do I always have to take out the signal from my PC in order to use HDMI slot for the PS3? Kind of a hassle.

Also, how do I properly go about getting audio from the PS3 with HDMI? I ended up putting my speakers through the green jack on the left of the display, and it seemed to work fine, although I was confused on what exactly to select in the PS3 menu about what audio signal I was using (dolby, linear, pcm, etc)

Kind of a drag, cause I'm so used to being able to use my 360 through VGA in a click of 2 buttons, but oh well.

Also I had a really weird moment.

When I was going to switch my PC HDMI signal back into the monitor, it wouldn't accept it. It'd give the "no signal" and go into stand-by. When I put the PS3 HDMI signal in, it'd pick it up instantly with no problems, but for some reason would not take the PC signal.

About 10 minutes later is randomly took it, and I still have no clue why it did this and how it happened. Is there some instruction on how to properly switch HDMI cables back and forth on this display?

Also I had a really weird moment.

When I was going to switch my PC HDMI signal back into the monitor, it wouldn't accept it. It'd give the "no signal" and go into stand-by. When I put the PS3 HDMI signal in, it'd pick it up instantly with no problems, but for some reason would not take the PC signal.

About 10 minutes later is randomly took it, and I still have no clue why it did this and how it happened. Is there some instruction on how to properly switch HDMI cables back and forth on this display?

Update your video card drivers.

Also, pick up a HDMI switch if you want to keep both your PC and your PS3 connected at the same time.

Update your video card drivers.

Also, pick up a HDMI switch if you want to keep both your PC and your PS3 connected at the same time.

I think it may have been a screensaver that was going on. The 246 is weird about screensavers. Although I could have swore I had moved the mouse to enable it off.

I just did some more messing around, and it's not doing it anymore.

I just got the HDMI cable for my PS3 today, and I wanna make sure I'm doing this right?

I have my computer hooked up via HDMI, so do I always have to take out the signal from my PC in order to use HDMI slot for the PS3? Kind of a hassle.

Also, how do I properly go about getting audio from the PS3 with HDMI? I ended up putting my speakers through the green jack on the left of the display, and it seemed to work fine, although I was confused on what exactly to select in the PS3 menu about what audio signal I was using (dolby, linear, pcm, etc)

Kind of a drag, cause I'm so used to being able to use my 360 through VGA in a click of 2 buttons, but oh well.

grab the $18 dollar HDMI switch from monoprice.com... excellent product and I have it setup for my PC + PS3. One press of a button and it switches to the other device that's hooked up to it.

One recommendation though - Turn off the monitor first before you switch devices... I forgot to do that once and the PS3 wouldn't display the images properly (shifted to the left side of the screen instead of being centered).

and yes the only way to get audio out of your HDMI input is via that audio output on the side of the panel... if you have a speaker set that accepts optical input you can hook that up, then goto in the PS3 menu and change sound output from HDMI to Optical... that way the video will still go through HDMI but audio will now be outputted to the Optical cable.

and yes the only way to get audio out of your HDMI input is via that audio output on the side of the panel... if you have a speaker set that accepts optical input you can hook that up, then goto in the PS3 menu and change sound output from HDMI to Optical... that way the video will still go through HDMI but audio will now be outputted to the Optical cable.

When I put it to automatic, it only lists a Linear 2 channel set. Is that right? Is it anything that can be improved upon, or is it good?

Also, does anyone have any PS3 settings for video? I may be spoiled by 360 through VGA 1080p, but the games I played on PS3 (mlb07, resistance, madden 07) just look terrible. Would it be solely because of it going through 720p instead of 1080?

Here are my settings

ACC: Warm
Contrast: 62
Brightness: 53
Color: 60
Sharpness: 63
PS3 RGB: Full

I stopped at Circuit City today about 90% decided upon the LG L246WP and saw the new Gateway FHD 2400. I believe the colors were set poorly on the LG, but my impression was that the Gateway, although a TN panel, was the superior monitor. I backed off from my purchase.

Getting back home, I started reading the thread on the Gateway and there seems to be a strong agreement that the Gateway, if not the best 24" currently available, is certainly at the top.

For the displays, the TN panel had inferior viewing angle vertically, but horizontally it was definitely superior. The colors of the MVA were washing out. Also, I really don't understand this 178 deg viewing angle. If straight on is 0 deg, then looking at the screen, either one - anywhere much past 45 deg plus or minus is not a very good image.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Gateway. Can anyone comment on the comparison between the two and make me reconsider?

that's because stores never calibrate it properly and usually > 160 degrees on TN the image becomes washed out where as my 246 i can see it perfectly at >185 degrees

so which monitor would you guys say is better? benq fp241 or the lg?

I believe they are the same panel. However the Benq has had many reported issues with blackouts (screen going black for 1-2 secs) which cannot be pinpointed to any particular software or hardware. Also, I believe the Benq has 1:1 issues in the US.

To follow-up on myself about the PS3, I messed around with the Ricky Bobby blu-ray and fine-tuned some of the settings, and I got them where I like them.

I also found out in order for things to display in 1080p, you generally have to turn all the options off except 1080p. I did this with MLB07 and it finally looked great. I chalk up Madden and Resistance to just being casualties of launch games, nasty 720p or bust.

Now here's a little question entirely different about HDMI

In Menu > Screen > HDMI, what's the difference in setting it to Video or PC?

Back