LG L246W

Wow, I've had really bad luck getting a good panel. The first one I bought from Best Buy 1.5 weeks ago had a stuck red pixel near the middle of the screen. I went to a different Best Buy closer to home to exchange the panel. The one I got worked for a little more than half a day of run time, then became permanently stuck in power saving mode. Today, I brought this one back to the first Best Buy I went to, and they tested the panel as ok, so it was an intermittent problem with the panel. I just tested the 2nd replacement panel, and it has the bad backlight bleeding spots at the top of the screen, as seen in earlier posts. It also flickers and blanks out completely if the color is changed to sRGB.

Should I keep trying or just wait until Best Buy gets a new 24" LCD model that's just as good, since I was using gift certificates? I think I already tested the remaining three LG panels in stock from these two stores. This experience has me worried about buying LCD panels online, since the return process is much longer. The first LCD panel I bought in 2005, an AG Neovo, had to be replaced twice right away.

:(

Hello what was the manufacture date for this screen ?

Are the trails visible on 245W when you move / spin this Prad test image around? Does the white and gray rects leave any afterglow?

Hello what was the manufacture date for this screen ?

The two that came from the first Best Buy store, one with a stuck pixel and the other with a backlightbleed and screen blanking problem, were both February 2007.

The one at the other Best Buy store that got stuck in power saving mode was May 2007.

I wish I could find a good panel because it really is nice.

The two that came from the first Best Buy store, one with a stuck pixel and the other with a backlightbleed and screen blanking problem, were both February 2007.

The one at the other Best Buy store that got stuck in power saving mode was May 2007.

I wish I could find a good panel because it really is nice.

Ok then they are an older revision. The newer revision is made in June 2007 and after.

Finally got the LG screen and ofcourse i got a revision 1 screen made in May 2007 that has a very annoying buzz sound when brightness is not 100% in all of the different srgb, csm, user, 6500k and 9300k modes.. Just amazing other people got revision 2 screens and i get a crappy revision 1 screen.

How loud is the buzz? I didn't notice anything coming out the back of my three pre-June 2007 monitors. I had my ear inches from the back.

I haven't given up on this panel yet. I just ordered one from Frys.com yesterday.

It's pretty loud and annoying but i guess that if u have a computer in the same room that makes alot of noise u might not hear it as well as i do. Because i have the computer in another room and use a long cable instead so i don't have to hear the noise from the computer.

I think there is something wrong with your monitors.

Mine is manufactured in April 2007, in a quiet enviroment in the middle of the night, with PC making almost no noise, I can't hear anything coming for the monitor.

I asked before but no one answered, are those that have this noise, all from the USA?
I am not, so I am wondering if there is indeed something perhaps it is only with USA batch or something.

I think there is something wrong with your monitors.

Mine is manufactured in April 2007, in a quiet enviroment in the middle of the night, with PC making almost no noise, I can't hear anything coming for the monitor.

I asked before but no one answered, are those that have this noise, all from the USA?
I am not, so I am wondering if there is indeed something perhaps it is only with USA batch or something.

I'm not in USA but I bought it from CC from us,mine is manufactured in April 2007 too, my setting for this lcd is sRGB mode with 15% brightness and no sound or noise at all even if my ear 1 inch in distance from the back of the lcd!. and i'm a little picky by the way :)
does that prove anything?

----
question : how do i know the new patch or new secreen? by the sticker behind the LCD or the sticker on the Package?
case in the package printed "june 2007" but the lcd sticker "April 2007"!.

just bought this monitor today and how exactly to get to the service menu?

just bought this monitor today and how exactly to get to the service menu?

Turn screen off. Hold down MENU+DOWN, and turn screen on. Then go into menu and push DOWN to show the service menu.

I'll let you guys know whether my new LG has a buzzing sound when I get it next week from LG (with any luck). I explained to them the issue of buzzing and they had no idea what I was talking about: "I haven't received any other complaints about this," the guy said. :rolleyes: Well, phooey on them, because it exists.

I honestly wager that MOST people's LG 246 displays buzz, and that MOST people have a loud computer in the room with them that drowns out the sound. I have a quiet laptop connected, and as soon as I turn my LG off, silence fills the room. Such a ghastly pitch, especially at about 60-70 brightness. Amazing how the sound completely goes away at brightness 100. Reminds me of lights on a dimmer switch. You turn the brightness down a lot, and the bulb makes a high pitch noise. Back up to full brightness? Not a sound to be heard.

Anyway, will keep you posted on the new screen when I get it... Otherwise, this display goes back to the store.

thanks for the instuctions;

mine was made in January 07 and no buzzing what so ever at any brightness level

I'm not in USA but I bought it from CC from us,mine is manufactured in April 2007 too, my setting for this lcd is sRGB mode with 15% brightness and no sound or noise at all even if my ear 1 inch in distance from the back of the lcd!. and i'm a little picky by the way :)
does that prove anything?

I won't know till more people decide to reply to my question.

There is ZERO buzzing on my L246WP when I put my ear right next to it. Brightness is set at 20. Mine was manufactured in January 2007 and I live in the USA.

Turn screen off. Hold down MENU+DOWN, and turn screen on. Then go into menu and push DOWN to show the service menu.

I'll let you guys know whether my new LG has a buzzing sound when I get it next week from LG (with any luck). I explained to them the issue of buzzing and they had no idea what I was talking about: "I haven't received any other complaints about this," the guy said. :rolleyes: Well, phooey on them, because it exists.

I honestly wager that MOST people's LG 246 displays buzz, and that MOST people have a loud computer in the room with them that drowns out the sound. I have a quiet laptop connected, and as soon as I turn my LG off, silence fills the room. Such a ghastly pitch, especially at about 60-70 brightness. Amazing how the sound completely goes away at brightness 100. Reminds me of lights on a dimmer switch. You turn the brightness down a lot, and the bulb makes a high pitch noise. Back up to full brightness? Not a sound to be heard.

Anyway, will keep you posted on the new screen when I get it... Otherwise, this display goes back to the store.

Ok will be great to know how your next LG will sound. I also have a very silent room because i have the computer in another room. So it's very noticable.

Anyone with the 246 without the sound issue?

Anyone with the 245 with the sound issue?

LG 246 owner here, build date April 2007 - no buzzing sound with brightness set to 75 in sRGB mode.

I'm in Canada by the way

I'm starting to have to re-evaluate my position of LG as a company.

I've been very pleased with this monitor, and the new phone I got from Verizon, LX8500 is an LG as well, and I'm very happy with it. I keep discovering new features that I did not know it had!

They've certainly come a long way as a company.

Can you tell what date your LCD monitor is without opening the box? For instance can you read somewhere on the retail box that information?

anyone know why ez video is grayed out in hdmi mode? Is this normal or is mine fubar'ed? :confused:

guess the manual is wrong ~.~

I was looking back through this thread, and it seems it doesn't work for anybody on HDMI, and one person mentioned it doesn't work for VGA either. So I'm not really sure what it does.
Everyone seems to be getting by without it though.

I was looking back through this thread, and it seems it doesn't work for anybody on HDMI, and one person mentioned it doesn't work for VGA either. So I'm not really sure what it does.
It was available when I hooked my Wii up over component. Never really played with it much, though.

also anyone else's bezel at the bottom right corner (or any corner). Is it firmly attached to the back piece of plasticfor you? It doesn't affect anything just looks like the bezel is not firmly seated compared to the other corners

Going through this thread too and a few people have had this issue. Just debating if i should go back and exchange it for another

hmmm.... I have my PS3 hooked up to the monitor via HDMI and I can go into the EZ Video section to make changes... Dynamic, Game, Normal, User, etc... so it definitely works, but perhaps not when it's hooked up to a PC-type device because that section IS greyed-out when I hook up my PC to it via HDMI.

I guess EZ video only works for DVD players/HD players/gaming consoles?

Interesting, thanks for the input.
I tried both video mode and PC mode for HDMI, with my PC hooked up to it, and the EZ video was greyed out for both, so it is definitely dependent on the source, and not a menu setting.

also anyone else's bezel at the bottom right corner (or any corner). Is it firmly attached to the back piece of plastic for you? It doesn't affect anything just looks like the bezel is not firmly seated compared to the other corners

Going through this thread too and a few people have had this issue. Just debating if i should go back and exchange it for another

anyone? bump

I just received my replacement LG 246 from LG themselves. I'm very unhappy to report that it's an April 2007 model (even older than my 2 store-bought May units...), and the buzzing is exactly the same. When set to 6500k mode, there's zero buzzing, but that's because the brightness is at 100, where there is no buzz at all.

So that's 3 LGs I've gone through, all with the exact same issue at less than 100 brightness. I'm also ticked off that I told LG specifically to send me a newer than June 2007 model, and they send me an April.

*sigh*

Think I might just give up on the whole monitor thing. There really is NO monitor that just plain and simple: works.

I just received my replacement LG 246 from LG themselves. I'm very unhappy to report that it's an April 2007 model (even older than my 2 store-bought May units...), and the buzzing is exactly the same. When set to 6500k mode, there's zero buzzing, but that's because the brightness is at 100, where there is no buzz at all.

So that's 3 LGs I've gone through, all with the exact same issue at less than 100 brightness. I'm also ticked off that I told LG specifically to send me a newer than June 2007 model, and they send me an April.

*sigh*

Think I might just give up on the whole monitor thing. There really is NO monitor that just plain and simple: works.

Yeah i know it really sucks i ordered from a swedish company called Dustin and everyone was raving at a swedish forum about them getting Revision 2 screens from that company and ofcourse i end up with a May 2007 rev1 screen it truly sucks so i have sent it back now and am ordering from another company where the chance should be bigger to get a revision 2 display.

Yeah i know it really sucks i ordered from a swedish company called Dustin and everyone was raving at a swedish forum about them getting Revision 2 screens from that company and ofcourse i end up with a May 2007 rev1 screen it truly sucks so i have sent it back now and am ordering from another company where the chance should be bigger to get a revision 2 display.

Yep sucks.

Going to go try a Samsung 245BW today. Like my wife's one, that's for sure. :)

Interesting, thanks for the input.
I tried both video mode and PC mode for HDMI, with my PC hooked up to it, and the EZ video was greyed out for both, so it is definitely dependent on the source, and not a menu setting.
Perhaps another possibility is that this is something that they've fixed in a newer firmware release? Mine is from Feb 2007, and the EZ video is grayed out over HDMI (either PC or video mode) when used with my PC, even if I set my video card resolution to 1080p. Like I said above, though, I can choose it over component with my Wii. What dates were your monitors made?

Guys, me and others with rev 1 monitors do NOT have the buzzing issue. There is something else going on and not what revision it is. Else we would all have it or at least most.
I don't know what it can be, but just because you get a rev 1 monitor it doesn't mean you will also get the noise that some people mention.

All I can suggest to the above people is to order the monitor from another state or country from where you have ordered it and had the problem. My guess is the problem might be a bad batch or something like that.

I wish you good luck.

Just got back from Best Buy with my brand new Samsung 24BW. No buzzing at ANY brightness, and much better vertical viewing angles than the LG 246. Kind of ironic actually. The LG has better horizontal viewing angles, and the Samsung has better vertical viewing angles, which I find much more useful, actually. You can see this difference on the LG by looking at any white window which goes yellow if you move your head up or down. No such issue with the Samsung. However, if you move your head significantly left or right with the Samsung, the same thing happens: a yellowing of text. I notice no yellowing with NORMAL use (i.e. sitting right in front of the Samsung). However, I did notice yellowing with normal use with the LG on the verticals.

Interesting, eh? And yes, I have both side by side to compare. The Samsung just wins, AND the Samsung has a sharpness adjust.

That said, no more component inputs when using the Samsung :( .

However, it's well worth it not have to deal with that freakin' buzzing! I really thing a lot more LGs buzz than the forum lets on. Most people may not notice it, though. Drove me crazy. Anyway, happy Samsung owner here. Story over.

Just got back from Best Buy with my brand new Samsung 24BW. No buzzing at ANY brightness, and much better vertical viewing angles than the LG 246. Kind of ironic actually. The LG has better horizontal viewing angles, and the Samsung has better vertical viewing angles, which I find much more useful, actually. You can see this difference on the LG by looking at any white window which goes yellow if you move your head up or down. No such issue with the Samsung. However, if you move your head significantly left or right with the Samsung, the same thing happens: a yellowing of text. I notice no yellowing with NORMAL use (i.e. sitting right in front of the Samsung). However, I did notice yellowing with normal use with the LG on the verticals.

Interesting, eh? And yes, I have both side by side to compare. The Samsung just wins, AND the Samsung has a sharpness adjust.

That said, no more component inputs when using the Samsung :( .

However, it's well worth it not have to deal with that freakin' buzzing! I really thing a lot more LGs buzz than the forum lets on. Most people may not notice it, though. Drove me crazy. Anyway, happy Samsung owner here. Story over.

New 245BW? I didn't know there was a new one. IF you are talking about the TN version of the panel... there is no what that it has better viewing angles than the MVA panel the LG has.

Back