LG L246W

I don't have a camera or a PS2.
BUT, when I got my monitor I used the component connection to see if there is much difference between it and VGA for my Xbox 360. The VGA pwned the component connection. The only positive thing about the component connection at the time was that as I remember instead of getting the two options of Full and 1:1 that I get with VGA (or HDMI/DVI) I was having in the place of the 1:1 another option named Original. I don't know about the name, but what it did was correct aspect scaling as far as I remember. But since I have the 360 at 1080p I can use the VGA 1:1 and still get the same result only with much better picture quality throught the VGA. If you have the PS2 then just try it...not that hard.

Ah I see. I'm waiting to build my office desk before I hook up the screen, so I can't check it right now. I had plugged my PS2 in at Best Buy on their display monitor and couldn't get aspect scaling working correctly, but I'll report back when I have my setup complete. Thanks for the info!

Ah I see. I'm waiting to build my office desk before I hook up the screen, so I can't check it right now. I had plugged my PS2 in at Best Buy on their display monitor and couldn't get aspect scaling working correctly, but I'll report back when I have my setup complete. Thanks for the info!
You won't be able to get correct aspect scaling with a PS2 because 480p is an anamorphic resolution. I have the same problem with my Wii; when in widescreen mode, the device actually outputs 720 by 480 (3:2) and relies on the display device to stretch the picture to the correct aspect ratio. This works fine on a 16:9 HDTV, but since there's no independent controls on the monitor to choose the correct aspect ratio (e.g. 4:3, 16:9, 16:10, etc), you're stuck between having it displayed at 3:2 (compressed horizontally) or fullscreen 16:10 (stretched slightly vertically).

All that said, the slight vertical stretching is pretty minimal and I got used to it pretty quickly. I'm normally pretty picky about these types of things, but I don't find it nearly as annoying at the lower 480p resolution than I would for, say, HDTV.

You won't be able to get correct aspect scaling with a PS2 because 480p is an anamorphic resolution. I have the same problem with my Wii; when in widescreen mode, the device actually outputs 720 by 480 (3:2) and relies on the display device to stretch the picture to the correct aspect ratio. This works fine on a 16:9 HDTV, but since there's no independent controls on the monitor to choose the correct aspect ratio (e.g. 4:3, 16:9, 16:10, etc), you're stuck between having it displayed at 3:2 (compressed horizontally) or fullscreen 16:10 (stretched slightly vertically).

All that said, the slight vertical stretching is pretty minimal and I got used to it pretty quickly. I'm normally pretty picky about these types of things, but I don't find it nearly as annoying at the lower 480p resolution than I would for, say, HDTV.

Right, that was my experience, too. It bugs me, unfortunately. I guess it depends on your tolerance of these things. Just ridiculous that manufacturers don't implement a simple fix for this in their panel software, since it really is just a software issue. *sigh*

I haven't tried 480p, no reason to, but when you get it, just try what I said earlier.

WilliamG: It sounds like the PS2 should display correctly on this monitor if you're playing a non-widescreen 480p game. You just need to hook it to the component inputs and select "Original" display mode, like BlueMak mentioned.

I think the problem will arise when playing 480p widescreen games on the PS2 or Wii. That's because they use anamorphic widescreen, which means they're sending 720x480 to the monitor and expecting it to stretch the image to 16:9. Unfortunately, this is impossible since the only options are "Original" (resulting in 3:2) or "Full" (resulting in 16:10).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anamorphic_widescreen

I haven't found many 24" LCD's that let you manually choose 16:9 (I think the Viewsonic VX2435WM and Hyundai W241D are supposed to). The other option would be to get an external video scaler, like I mentioned here. Fortunately for you, most PS2 games don't take advantage of widescreen anyway, but the Wii is a different story.

Did you guys have a lot of trouble calibrating this? I've read the whole thread and seen some tid bits here and there but I'm really struggling with it. I've spent the past 2 days fooling around with it and I still don't feel it looks right. I guess I'm kinda underwhelmed but maybe I expected too much.

This replaced a NEC Diamondtron 22" CRT which was just awesome but getting up there in years. I'm running the LG in dual with a 2005FPW which is S-IPS. I guess compared to the Dell, it just doesn't look as good (maybe that's why I can't get it right, I keep trying to match it to the Dell).

Color I feel is pretty good, but I can't seem to get the contrast/brightness correct. I've fiddled with all the modes/settings including 6500k, User, and sRGB. Fiddled with the monitor settings then the Nvidia control panel, done the display optimization wizard which makes it look REALLY dull.

It fails pretty badly on almost all the contrast tests on that LCD test page posted a while back. Then last night I found some program on Google called QuickGamma which I used and that helped a LOT with the gamma setting. Before I could hardly see any dark details, this helped with those quite a bit but it still just seems OK. I find I still have to have the brightness jacked up too high to get details and it hurts my eyes. The taskbar just seems so washed out to me. I dunno, can't decide if I'm going to keep it or not. Hopefully it will grow on me. I planned on replacing the Dell with another LG so I would have 2 of the same size but i'm not so sure now. I realize it's on the cheaper side so I guess this is to be expected. Guess I could purchase a hardware calibrator but that just seems a bit much.

Hey guys, I have a weird problem with my monitor...
It looks as if there's a slight scratch on the screen (about 3 pixels long, hair-thin).

However I've turned the monitor off and inspected the screen and there is no scratch... I've also ran my finger over it, but I don't feel a scratch.

It almost looks like a hair caught between the outside of the screen and the pixels. They aren't dead pixels since they aren't solid dots... I've had dead pixels on my previous LCDs before and it doesn't resemble them.

It looks just like a scratch would look, but I can't seem to find a physical scratch on the screen.

It's only visible on white backgrounds/light colors.
On solid black it vanishes entirely.

Did you guys have a lot of trouble calibrating this? I've read the whole thread and seen some tid bits here and there but I'm really struggling with it. I've spent the past 2 days fooling around with it and I still don't feel it looks right. I guess I'm kinda underwhelmed but maybe I expected too much.
What is there to calibrate?
I'm running it in sRGB and the only setting I can change is "Brightness". For me at the moment, it's at 70 (Which might be a little high).
Other than that I have no options.

Got a quick question. Since this uses a HDMI to DVI cable, does your computer show the posting screen so you can access your BIOS and all that before it hits your OS's desktop? Or is it wise to use the VGA to get things all situated and then switch to the HDMI to DVI cable?

I remember on one of my old LCD monitor I didn't see a picture until the OS loading screen and I couldn't access the BIOS screen. Does this LG monitor suffer the same fate?

Thanks

Got a quick question. Since this uses a HDMI to DVI cable, does your computer show the posting screen so you can access your BIOS and all that before it hits your OS's desktop? Or is it wise to use the VGA to get things all situated and then switch to the HDMI to DVI cable?
I'm using HDMI to DVI and it shows everything when I turn on my PC.
Mobo logo, bios screen, bootup, etc.

I'm using HDMI to DVI and it shows everything when I turn on my PC.
Mobo logo, bios screen, bootup, etc.

Seconded. Although the monitor does take a few seconds from when you first turn it on to showing a picture, almost 10 sec on my count.

Seconded. Although the monitor does take a few seconds from when you first turn it on to showing a picture, almost 10 sec on my count.
Yep, rather annoying.

Black, logo, black, "HDMI", black, on!

I have this delay too. On my system, this delay causes me to miss the bios screen completely. I have a second monitor so it's not a big deal in my case. I've never tried connecting my PC via VGA, so I don't know if that's faster. But I guess this could be an issue if you're building a new machine and this is the only monitor you have.

I have this delay too. On my system, this delay causes me to miss the bios screen completely. I have a second monitor so it's not a big deal in my case. I've never tried connecting my PC via VGA, so I don't know if that's faster. But I guess this could be an issue if you're building a new machine and this is the only monitor you have.

Me, I just mash the Delete key like a mad man once the computer powers on :D

This replaced a NEC Diamondtron 22" CRT which was just awesome but getting up there in years. I'm running the LG in dual with a 2005FPW which is S-IPS. I guess compared to the Dell, it just doesn't look as good (maybe that's why I can't get it right, I keep trying to match it to the Dell).

Color I feel is pretty good, but I can't seem to get the contrast/brightness correct. I've fiddled with all the modes/settings including 6500k, User, and sRGB. Fiddled with the monitor settings then the Nvidia control panel, done the display optimization wizard which makes it look REALLY dull.

It fails pretty badly on almost all the contrast tests on that LCD test page posted a while back. Then last night I found some program on Google called QuickGamma which I used and that helped a LOT with the gamma setting. Before I could hardly see any dark details, this helped with those quite a bit but it still just seems OK. I find I still have to have the brightness jacked up too high to get details and it hurts my eyes. The taskbar just seems so washed out to me. I dunno, can't decide if I'm going to keep it or not. Hopefully it will grow on me. I planned on replacing the Dell with another LG so I would have 2 of the same size but i'm not so sure now. I realize it's on the cheaper side so I guess this is to be expected. Guess I could purchase a hardware calibrator but that just seems a bit much.

I have the monitor too and I bought a hardware calibrator and i am STILL getting the same exact thing when I try and get the lab (printing) to match my screen and prints. I have tried it NUMEROUS times and have decided that I don't think this is a very good monitor for color reproduction. I am going to drop some more money and get something like the HP or Eizo.
I don't think that if you need this for color reproduction this is the monitor for you.

Ryan

WTF? Last week or so, I use my credit card points to get a $100 CC gift card. A couple days later the L246WP disappears from the website and no stores have it anymore. That was my sole reason for getting the gift card.

I bought this monitor a week ago. My previous monitor was a 17" Samtron CRT, so this was quite an upgrade for me!

After using it for a week, I am extremely impressed. I have played a lot of Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2 and such and have noticed absolutely no ghosting at all (this was my biggest concern with the purchase of my LCD). I still need to calibrate it, but so far the colors look excellent and the backlight distribution is great.

I had been waffling between purchasing the BenQ, Dell and LG. The Dell was definitely out because of the ghosting, and the BenQ I couldn't really justify for the price. I bought the LG from Best Buy for $599, and then CompUSA went on sale with it for $499, so because of Best Buy's 10% price matching policy, I ended up getting the monitor for $489 -- a steal in my opinion!!

I would recommend this monitor to anyone thinking about purchasing a 24".

Also, let me say that I can never, ever go back to gaming on a 4:3 ever again. Playing Team Fortress 2 at 1920x1200 on a 24" is so immersing, I feel as if I play better because of it.

Also, let me say that I can never, ever go back to gaming on a 4:3 ever again. Playing Team Fortress 2 at 1920x1200 on a 24" is so immersing, I feel as if I play better because of it.
You do, because you have a wider FOV.

You do, because you have a wider FOV.

On this issue, even certain games that are not capable of outputting in widescreen resolutions are better. Racing games for example. Need for Speed Carbon can only output to 1600x1200, so you have the choice of the bars on the sides, or your graphics card or monitor stretching it.

I actually prefer it stretched for this game!

So i finally got some GOOD calibration software and used the spyder. I got a delta E of 10. yup NOT 1.0 10.0 that is the best it could do. Now anything over 2 or 3 is bad from what I know. looks like this is NOT the monitor for color reproduction. OR I have a bad monitor..

I used the ColorEyes Pro and my spyder to do this two different times and i got 10.3 and 11.4 as the delta E.

Thought you guys would want to know. The colors are still off btw.

Ryan

So i finally got some GOOD calibration software and used the spyder. I got a delta E of 10. yup NOT 1.0 10.0 that is the best it could do. Now anything over 2 or 3 is bad from what I know. looks like this is NOT the monitor for color reproduction. OR I have a bad monitor..

I used the ColorEyes Pro and my spyder to do this two different times and i got 10.3 and 11.4 as the delta E.

Thought you guys would want to know. The colors are still off btw.

Ryan

Quickly return the monitor then. No point in having it if you don't like it. Perhaps you will be more lucky with another monitor. Good luck.

. I bought the LG from Best Buy for $599, and then CompUSA went on sale with it for $499, so because of Best Buy's 10% price matching policy, I ended up getting the monitor for $489 -- a steal in my opinion!!

I'm going to buy another one this week.
so, how i can get this price with Best Buy's 10% price matching policy?
any one can explain it to me?

Problem is I was in the process of moving and haven't had the time to really calibrate it and well I am beyond the return policy. O well. I guess I have a BIG internet monitor now.

I am just saying screw it and dropping the money on the NEC 24" UWxi or the Eizo 24" (not sure if the CG model is worth the extra $1000).

Ryan

I'm going to buy another one this week.
so, how i can get this price with Best Buy's 10% price matching policy?
any one can explain it to me?

According to customer service when I was there yesterday, the 10% price match only works if you already bought the monitor and then see it for a lower price as matts had done. Since I hadn't bought the monitor yet, I only got them to match CompUSA's price. I paid $499.99 + $8 for some California recycle fee + tax.

Does this monitor support 1440x900?
I don't have it on my resolution list, and it seems odd that it wouldn't display that resolution...
:(

I need to know, does this monitor support 1920 x 1080 over VGA on the Xbox 360?

Yes it does. If it doesn't put black bars then you just have to choose the option from the OSD of the monitor for "1:1" and it will work just fine. I do it too.

fantastic :D

Is the component input good? I'm thinking of having my Wii hooked up. And whats the performance like in 1920x1080? Like, framerates vs visuals?

fantastic :D

Is the component input good? I'm thinking of having my Wii hooked up. And whats the performance like in 1920x1080? Like, framerates vs visuals?

1) It is good enough for my xbox 360 but I prefer the VGA connection with crispier visuals, don't know about the Wii. But I heard that the Wii has problems with widescreen monitors...?

2)Performance? what do you mean? It is not up to the monitor for how fast games will play, that is the game system. IF you have a good PC then you will have no problems running games at 1920x1200 or 1920x1080. The xbox 360 has no problems either. The Wii, I don't know.

I mean to ask, is there any noticable framerate difference, on the Xbox 360, between 1920x1080 and the lower resolutions? Notably in games like Gears, Halo 3...

I mean to ask, is there any noticable framerate difference, on the Xbox 360, between 1920x1080 and the lower resolutions? Notably in games like Gears, Halo 3...

No, as far as I know, games render at a set resolution on the 360, and then the 360 upconverts the content to the correct output resolution. For example, Halo 3 runs at a resolution of 640p(no matter what resolution you have your system set to), and the 360 sends the content out at the resolution you specify, by scaling the image. Halo 3 is sort of an oddity with 640p, most 360 games render at 720p.

alright, and what does it come across like visually? like, is there ever any "WOW" moments?

sorry for all the questions, im a videophile here.

The only WOW moment I ever had with my xbox 360 were with PGR3 and Gears of War, but then I don't get WOWed by good graphics anymore.
If you want to know if the monitor is good for the 360, yes it is.

Alright i just purchased this monitor, upgrading from a samsung226bw

Right out of the box i was amazed by the great colors, and viewing angle, much better than my previous monitor.

I have this hooked up to my PC thru D-sub and hooked up to my xbox360 elite thru hdmi

For those wondering (because i was wondering and have not found the answer throughout this entire thread), this monitor is able to do 1080p with the hdmi cable, and the 1:1 aspect ratio works as it should. Bioshock looks amazing on this monitor :).

I am very happy with this monitor and have not noticed any ghosting while playing on the 360, would recommend this monitor to anyone looking for a 24inch monitor.

ok so 1:1 pixel mapping is supposed to fit the horizontal resolution of 1920 right on the sceen, right? so you'll see 2 black bars at the top and bottom and you should be able to see the WHOLE 1080p frame (1920x1080)...

if that's the case then I don't understand why my setup doesn't show the screen properly when hooked up to a PS3 through HDMI.... see my thread here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1031610730&posted=1#post1031610730

I just picked one up. I had the Samsung 245bw but I found that it was only good for gaming.. and I only game for about 1-2 hour's a day.. I could not stand the vew angle's when I would surf the web so I took it back and got the LG Electronics FLATRON L246WP-BN and I must say it is the best monitor I have seen. I give it a 5 out of 5.

Back