LG L246W

hehe It's a stopwatch, it counts UP.

The faster screen shows a higher number. Both start at 0.00.000

At the instant of camera shutter: LG outputed 3.981s worth of frames while Samsung is still at 3.949s.

Had it been a countdown timer, it would have been the reverse.

ahhh, thank you for the explanation, muchly appreciated :)

Well I got my CC issues straightened out and mine is on the way :D

Rest assured, you'll have a nice and opinionated review that contains absolutely no factual information once it comes in :D

Dang it, just found out that Best Buy and other retailers lowered the price to $499 over the weekend. I got this monitor on Thursday August 23, just before this sale.

Does anyone know if Best Buy has any sort of price protection? i.e. if I go there with my original receipt, will I be able to get back $100?

I'd say it would be comparable. Here's a good comparison between the BenQ FP241WZ, Dell 2407WFP and LG L246WP to help you decide:

http://www.bexox.com/showdown.htm

I got the LG L246WP, and to get the most from it you should use the sRGB color temp for the best black levels and then calibrate the colors, contrast and gamma through your video card. You can use fortemanager (download from LG's global site) instead but I find that utility a bit buggy and a pain to use.

The only issue I'm having with this monitor is that Nvidia aspect scaling doesn't seem to work. But, if you need to lower the resolution to 1680x1050 for games it looks really good scaled down. If need be you can use the 1:1 pixel mapping feature.

Hey Dark Reign, can you post the settings you're using right now man? I'm using the user settings and I love the way it looks but I wanna see if I can make it better. Thx.

Seen this in the hot deals forum regarding this monitor:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...600050003&contentId=1118843518460&id=cat12098

I'm taking my receipt in today to get $100 back. You have 14 days from the day you bought it to get cash back.

That's great to hear thanks. Gonna be going in myself today . . . :D

I'm using the user settings and I love the way it looks but I wanna see if I can make it better. Thx.

Yeah I originally though user settings was pretty good until I heard about the better black levels with sRGB. I have since switched and it does indeed look more balanced. Though sRGB seems to have pretty high red levels, so you will need to compensate for that.

If you prefer your display to be nice and bright with high contrast though, sRGB may not be your cup of tea since it definitely isn't as bright as user settings nor is the contrast as high. But you can always change that in your video cards control panel if necessary.

Hey Dark Reign, can you post the settings you're using right now man? I'm using the user settings and I love the way it looks but I wanna see if I can make it better. Thx.

I've been tweaking quite a bit with this monitor. I do prefer to use sRGB and adjust colors and gamma with the Nvidia control panel. I'm doing it by eye with a grayscale ramp and these are my settings:

Brightness - Red channel: 50
Brightness - Green channel: 52
Brightness - Blue channel: 42
Contrast - all channels: 55
Gamma - all channels: 48

I set the brightness at 15 using the monitor controls. If you're in a brighter room or prefer a brighter picture then definitely increase it. Certain shades of gray have a very slight pinkish tone and the only way to get rid of it is to increase the Green color level to 55 or higher. But then the grayscale becomes too green, so stick with 52.

Edit: tweaked it some more and the pink in some shades of gray appear to be gone.

just gone one of these and it looks nice so far.

the only thing im concerned about is a dead/stuck pixel that shows up white on black background and a little gray spot (a little bigger than a pixel, kind of looks like a water mark or something) that shows up on light backgrounds. im confused as to how to fix these things because this is my first LCD.

Calibrated mine with a Huey and it looks great. Prints match screen in Photoshop. Very happy with the monitor from BB @ $499

Bought this monitor Sunday and I love it.

If you can play Bemani games (beatmania = TIMING DEATH) on it without significant lag, it's definitely a winner. :D

i have this monitor and my issue is using composite or compoent video cables with my wii

games like metroid she alot of jaggies on this monitor were as my 27 inch SD TV has no jaggies and looks beautiful and clearer

any idea ? should i use composite or sRBG for input on this monitor ?
or is it that i have shitty component video cabeles any help appreiciate it.

i have this monitor and my issue is using composite or compoent video cables with my wii

games like metroid she alot of jaggies on this monitor were as my 27 inch SD TV has no jaggies and looks beautiful and clearer

any idea ? should i use composite or sRBG for input on this monitor ?
or is it that i have shitty component video cabeles any help appreiciate it.
This monitor doesn't have composite input, only component, VGA, and HDMI, so component cables are your only option. I can confirm that with my Wii the jaggies are extremely noticeable on this monitor, but I'm afraid that's just a fact of life. The LCD has a much higher resolution than an SD TV, so the low resolution and lack of AA becomes even more apparent.

I'm really liking this monitor as well. The only thing I don't like about it input delay. I was hoping there's a setting or something I'm doing that's causing it so I wanted to ask you guys.

I notice the input lag when moving the mouse around fairly quickly and mostly when dragging around a seperator, for example, in Outlook the seperator between messages and bodies, or in Windows Explorer the seperator between tree view on the left and folder content on the right. Dragging the seperator back and forth seems very delayed and jumpy. I also see the delay pretty good on FPS games, hell, I even see it when dragging around a shrunken window.

Is there something I'm missing or is this just how it is? I'm coming from a Samsung 930b btw..

BTW - Supposedly this monitor is one, if not THE fastest 24" *VA panel...I can't imagine what a slower panel would look like...

Oh, I got the Spyder2Express today and used it. It did a good job ;)

I don't notice any input lag like you described. I can drag around a huge window and it's smooth. Gaming is smooth as well.

iam sorry i meant component cables

ya my wii looks like shit on this monitor on component i don't think its the monitor fault
its just all the jaggies in metroid

looks way better on my standard TV through av cables

oh well if anyone knows a good used tv with component

Hmm. Well, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the monitor at all. I have a fresh build as well and don't think that's a problem either -
C2D E6750
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P
EVGA 8600GTS
2gigs of Ballistix PC6400

I have the newest beta's installed for the Bioshock (supposed) fix. I dual boot Vista Ultimate and XP Pro and see the same results on both. Hmm. Kinda at a loss here.

I'm hooked up via DVI-->HDMI I'm at 60hz....man, I can't think of anything else that might be causing some of the things I see.

You guys get NO input lag at all? even games? I'm not saying I have a tremendous amount, it's just noticeable playing a fast FPS conpared to my old TN..

Ok, how about you guys try sliding around the seperator as seen in the image below. That sucker just can't keep up with the mouse moving around for me. Let me know what you guys experience please.

monitor_test.JPG

This monitor has some input lag (which has been proven) but I don't really notice it. Yeah, the separator is a little choppy but seems normal to me. Mouse movement is smooth.

I think that may be more an issue with Micro$oft Outlook as opposed to the monitor. Either way, I will try it out with my Outlook at work tomorrow.

Did the drag test, and haven't noticed any lag.

In games, when not using vsync (very important), it pretty much feels just like my CRT (Mitsubishi Diamondtron 930SB). I'm talking about very fast-paced games, mind you (Warsow, a Q2-engine game, derived from QW gameplay in terms of speed, and then some).

Are there any reports of this LCD not being clear or clean? That the text is not crisp? (When attached to a DVI PC)

Just got this bad boy. How should I go about testing it? What should I look out for? So far, no dead pixels. It's the PQ vers made in Feb 2007.

I've already got 2x FPD2185Ws...I want this to be the center piece of my triple monitor setup. Anyone have that type of setup yet?

has anyone seen this next to 24in benq? how does it compair? and if u have used both, which one has lower lag?

Are there any reports of this LCD not being clear or clean? That the text is not crisp? (When attached to a DVI PC)
It's just as sharp as any other P-MVA panel over DVI. You can always make it sharper by using ClearType Tuner.

I picked one up last night, I haven't gone over it with a fine toothed comb for dead pixels yet, but it looks promising so far.

Also, going from a 19" CPD-G400 at 1600x1200 to a 24" LCD at 1920x1200 makes a world of difference. Bioshock looks beautiful.

I still feel like I'm missing something. Bioshock seems very laggy to me...maybe my 8600gts just isn't enough for it. Overall I definitely notice lag. Whether the lag I see is normal or not it's pretty apparent coming from my old 930B.

To those who don't seem to have an issue with lag, what video card and OS are you using? I wonder if my Vista/XP dual boot has something to do with it...although I can't really see that.

I actually think now that the lag I see is normal and I should have gotten a better video card without support for DX10 for now for the crap gaming I see. Someone said they don't notice a difference in lag from their CRT. I had a 21"Sony G400 then the Samsung 930B. I never noticed lag issue with either of them and I definitely do now with the L246. I'm not a big gamer although I do, but really the viewing angle and color are more important to me as I spend most of my computer time messing with photos..

I suppose this is just how it goes in 24" land?

Try turning the graphics settings down. I imagine the game requires a lot of power to run smoothly at 1920x1200 resolution. Also, the graphics drivers for Vista do not perform as well as they do in XP.

Ok, I'll start by saying that my issues are NOT caused by the L246. What's been screwing me up is I built my box and got my monitor all at once, so I really didn't have a baseline for testing this monitor. I did some testing with my old monitor...it is ALSO having problems that didn't exist before, so I'll be narrowing down my system rather than wondering about my monitor.

I just wanted to "validate" the L246 as it may sound like I've been bashing it a bit. Compared to my 930B, which I considered to be a damn good TN (S), the L246 is much nicer in all aspects ;)

Got this monitor on the 26th and then later I was able to get another 12% off. I walked with it out the door for only $473. This monitor is fantastic. It is much better than my Viewsonic VX924. I switched to sRGB as soon as I read this thread, but I’m still getting some weird issues with 1080p trailers from Apple.com. I can’t afford a spyder pro or a huey but someday I will calibrate this thing.

Hooked up both my 360 and Wii through component. No problems I think with the 360, but the Wii makes no sense. Has anyone else hooked a Wii to these things? I put in on 480 p and screen turns out blurrier. Widescreen in original mode makes it look worse. Resident evil 4 and Zelda look terrible. My best looking game is Metroid Prime.

Finally, even after the reading the entire thread, I am still confused about the 360 VGA issue. Some say you can do 1080p and others say that you can’t.

Is it true that a mfg date has anything to do with this?

Jan 07 and before= No 1080p through vga

Feb 07 and after = 1080p through vga

I just purchased the LG L246 tonight from Best Buy for 499+ tax. I was all set to go with a Dell which is about $80 dollars more with tax than the LG but because I didnt have to wait and based upon the many positive reviews, I thought I would give it a shot. Havent taken it out the box yet as I am still on the fence about it.. but then again, saving the 75 bucks isnt a bad thing either. What can I expect from it in terms of video editing and photo shop editing? Thanks.

how do you adjust the color settings with sRGB? do you have to go through nVida control panel? i havn't been able to find an option to mess around with the colors at all.

how do you adjust the color settings with sRGB? do you have to go through nVida control panel? i havn't been able to find an option to mess around with the colors at all.
Yes. You can only adjust color through the monitor when using the User setting.

Just picked one up at Best Buy for $499.99 + Tax.

Much cheaper than the $629.99 at Newegg... :D

I bid a sad good bye to my 5 year old 20” IBM P260 today and picked up the last L246WP that Best Buy had in their 4 Omaha stores. To say that I’m impressed with this monitor is a gross understatement. No problems with font clarity, comes right out of standby-power saving mode, good default colors and the price was right.

If you know of anyone who wants a 75lb 20” CRT, in good condition, please let me know ;)

Back