LG L246W

There's no DVI connection, but there is HDMI. HDMI is just DVI plus sound, so you can convert back and forth between HDMI and DVI with absolutely no change in the picture. They're completely equivalent in this respect. The monitor comes with a DVI to HDMI cable, so if you want to use this with a PC, you plug the DVI side of the cable into your video card and the HDMI side into the monitor. No need to buy anything else or to use VGA.

Thanks bootstrap, that was a great explanation and really cleared it up for me :) This monitor is $599.99 at Future Shop, I'm going to get it this weekend.

I know, futureshop.... but nobody has confirmed 1080p (correctly) over VGA for the 360. I need to know... :( Can someone give me a mini review on the LG L246WP and the Xbox 360. What resolutions work properly with VGA... (pic appreciated)

I know, futureshop.... but nobody has confirmed 1080p (correctly) over VGA for the 360. I need to know... :( Can someone give me a mini review on the LG L246WP and the Xbox 360. What resolutions work properly with VGA... (pic appreciated)

I have the elite, so I'm using HDMI on it... but for what it's worth, it works great at 1080p. I don't have a VGA cable to try on the xbox, though.

I turned off my computer and for the short time betweeen the computer turning off and the monitor going into power saving mode I can hear a faint humming noise. Anyone else has this? It isn't bothering me now but I'm about to rebuild my computer to make it noiseless and it would suck to have the computer noise replaced with a buzzing monitor.

Otherwise I really love this monitor.

Anyone????

I'm thinking of picking this monitor soon, but I have a few questions:

1) What's the most effective way to connect a Wii, 360, PS3, and PC up? Will I be able to deal with just the single HDMI input easily? (I want to be able to hook up both my PC and PS3 through that port. Then i guess I do 360 through the vga and wii through component?

2) Until i get a gpu upgrade I will not be able to run PC games at 1920x1200 resolution. Will this monitor look as good at a lower widescreen resolution as long its the same aspect ratio? If so, which do you recommend for running bioshock on my pc (core2 duo 6600 2.4ghz, 8800gts 320 mb, 2 gigs ram) would it run at 1690x1050?

3) What about sound? I was looking at the benq fp241w which doesn't have speakers, and I would have to do some creative stuff there (creative decoder ddts100). Would the built in speakers and a nice set of stereo headphones be enough to get me through college?

I guess thats all I have for now

thanks in advance :)

I'm thinking of picking this monitor soon, but I have a few questions:

1) What's the most effective way to connect a Wii, 360, PS3, and PC up? Will I be able to deal with just the single HDMI input easily? (I want to be able to hook up both my PC and PS3 through that port. Then i guess I do 360 through the vga and wii through component?
Easiest way would be to get an HDMI switcher for the PC and PS3. There are plenty available online, so it shouldn't be hard to find one. Many people on these boards recommend monoprice.com as a place to get a cheap one that's good quality. As you've said, you shouldn't have a problem hooking up the Wii and 360 on component/VGA (you'll need to buy separate component cables for the Wii if you don't already have them, of course).

2) Until i get a gpu upgrade I will not be able to run PC games at 1920x1200 resolution. Will this monitor look as good at a lower widescreen resolution as long its the same aspect ratio? If so, which do you recommend for running bioshock on my pc (core2 duo 6600 2.4ghz, 8800gts 320 mb, 2 gigs ram) would it run at 1690x1050?
There are a lot of different opinions on this; some people will tell you that anything less than the native resolution is horrible, while many others (myself included) have no problem with this. The picture will be a little blurrier if you run at a lower resolution, but I've run Oblivion at 1680 by 1050 and I don't really notice the difference. For me at least, it's the type of thing where if I'm looking closely for it, I might be able to spot the difference, but if I'm involved in the game I never notice it.

I can't answer your question about Bioshock, someone else will have to comment on that. There's a demo available, I suppose the easiest way would be to try it before you drop the cash on the game.

3) What about sound? I was looking at the benq fp241w which doesn't have speakers, and I would have to do some creative stuff there (creative decoder ddts100). Would the built in speakers and a nice set of stereo headphones be enough to get me through college?
The L246WP and L245WP (the version available online) do NOT have speakers. Newegg's caused some confusion because they list the monitor has having built-in speakers, but it's not true. There seems to be a space on this monitor to connect a speaker bar, but to the best of my knowledge they've never actually made it available for sale. So you'll have to be creative with this monitor as well.

I only have my PC and a Wii connected, so I just run the Wii stereo into the RCA inputs on the front panel of my sound card (Creative X-fi). It's a bit of a pain, because I need to have my PC on to get sound for the Wii, but it was the easiest solution. You'll have to be a little more creative if you want to be able to hook all of your devices up simultaneously.

I got 1920X1080 (1080p) VGA to work on my xbox 360. Just make sure the hdmi cable is not connected to the monitor. (Thats what I did) Disconnect the hdmi cable before switch input to RGB (VGA) ;)

*Component does 720p, 1080i.

Hi. I am proud owner of l245wp. My previous monitor was L1940P.
I like 24" very much. I have one question though.
I went through one of monitor test software and i noticed banding when testing gradients.

I have heard on this forum that there is no banding on this monitor.
I must say that i've calibrated monitor using eye-one display device.
Maby i have activated something that creates this banding - some kind of color boost or movie mode.
Can somebody help me with this.
Maby I just have to lower RGB settings. Now i have 100 R, 100 G and 100 B. What are your settings - that resoult no banding.

And second question: is this monitor supported by f-engine?

Thanks for answers.

PS: I am graphic designer, so this issue is important for me.

I went through one of monitor test software and i noticed banding when testing gradients.

Maby i have activated something that creates this banding - some kind of color boost or movie mode.
Maby I just have to lower RGB settings. Now i have 100 R, 100 G and 100 B. What are your settings - that resoult no banding.

Thanks for answers.

Hi,
What input are you using? HDMI/DVI or VGA? I am using HDMI/DVI with sRGB and there is absolutely no banding... make sure in HDMI use set it to PC not Video. ;)

Ok. I am using default settings. And as u described HDMI/DVI input set up to PC.
I've tried default S-RGB setting and my own user setting, (100 contrast, 64 brightnes, 100 R, 100 G, 100 B), wich is BTW the same as default sRGB accept brightnes is 44 in sRGB preset. Off course I was testing at native resolution 1920 x 1200. The room is dark.

I used this little software (1.3 Mb big and it's free - 30 days trial)
http://www.passmark.com/products/monitortest.htm
BTW It is good software if u like to test your monitor and I reccomend it to others too.

However, using this monitortest I can without doubt see banding - It is not huge, but one can see it without looking twice.

Banding ocures aspecialy on dark (left) portion of Black to Green gradient and on Black to White gradient too.
There are 1 or 2 mm thick blackish-grayish vertical lines. These lines do not pop out - they are subtile/gentle, but still visible.
Little less banding is visible on Black to Red gradient and almost no banding on Black to Blue gradient - I must really look closely to see banding here.

Can you or somebody else please try this monitor test and tell me if u can confirm my observations.
If there is absolutely no banding in your case, than I would consider replacing this monitor (I got 4 days left to return).

If someone finds out custom preset that resault in no banding (using above test) please let me know the preset.

Thanx in advance.

I got 1920X1080 (1080p) VGA to work on my xbox 360. Just make sure the hdmi cable is not connected to the monitor. (Thats what I did) Disconnect the hdmi cable before switch input to RGB (VGA) ;)

It works even with the HDMI cable connected. I have the monitor (L246WP) connected to my PC via HDMI/DVI and to my 360 via VGA and it scales 1080p correctly. (Played Bioshock on it and it looks great)

Just got this monitor yesterday and I'm definitely loving it so far. Setting it to sRGB seems to be the best setting, especially for best black levels. Though I'm so used to high contrast on my previous LCD that sRGB looks a little faded to me, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. ;)

Just got this monitor yesterday and I'm definitely loving it so far. Setting it to sRGB seems to be the best setting, especially for best black levels. Though I'm so used to high contrast on my previous LCD that sRGB looks a little faded to me, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. ;)
Agreed. After calibration this monitor looks awesome. Colors a nicely saturated and black levels and contrast are excellent. I was looking for a bigger monitor to replace my 19" ViewSonic VP930b and this one is definitely it.

OMG thanks so much for the heads up, Sneis! I was waiting till it dropped to $550 at BB, so this is even better.

Will best buy have that 500 dollar price on their website?
Also, is it just a temporary sale or a permanent price drop?
This extra $100 off sold me on this monitor over the benq fp241 for sure!
:)

Thanks for answers.

It might be a bit obvious but when i first set mine up i noticed banding, and for some reason windows decided not to use the full color depth.

on full color depth there IS banding though, it is noticable for me very rarely but it is there.
(i cant see any on that fade at the top of this forum for example)

I have a question for the Xbox 360 users. I was wondering is there a way to adjust the sharpness in VGA?

I have connected the 360 with both the component and VGA... component at 720p (colours 50%) is nice.. but you notice a bit of jaggies. In VGA its more smooth but I wish i could just sharpen it a tad. Is it possible?

I would like to know how you other gamers have it setup. ;)

pixelperfect

I'm pretty sure the jaggies come from the fact that you are displaying a 720 image on a 1080 display. I see the jaggies too with my 360.

Now my PS3 when playing a 1080 game is very nice, no jaggies, but playing a 720 game looks similar to the 360.

pixelperfect

I'm pretty sure the jaggies come from the fact that you are displaying a 720 image on a 1080 display. I see the jaggies too with my 360.

Now my PS3 when playing a 1080 game is very nice, no jaggies, but playing a 720 game looks similar to the 360.

Not to say it looks bad or anything... i just wanted to know if there was a way to sharpen up the picture when playing in VGA. Are you using component or VGA? Have you calibrated the monitor?

Not to say it looks bad or anything... i just wanted to know if there was a way to sharpen up the picture when playing in VGA. Are you using component or VGA? Have you calibrated the monitor?

The only thing that bothers me is when I play Gears and I see jaggy shading on the chracter faces and upper body. I don't see any jaggies on other games. I play through vga and to my knowledge, there is no way to sharpen the picture in vga.

How does the PQ compare to the dell 2407? Is it worth getting over it?
I'd say it would be comparable. Here's a good comparison between the BenQ FP241WZ, Dell 2407WFP and LG L246WP to help you decide:

http://www.bexox.com/showdown.htm

I got the LG L246WP, and to get the most from it you should use the sRGB color temp for the best black levels and then calibrate the colors, contrast and gamma through your video card. You can use fortemanager (download from LG's global site) instead but I find that utility a bit buggy and a pain to use.

The only issue I'm having with this monitor is that Nvidia aspect scaling doesn't seem to work. But, if you need to lower the resolution to 1680x1050 for games it looks really good scaled down. If need be you can use the 1:1 pixel mapping feature.

After much consideration, I went ahead and got this L246WP at best buy this morning and have no complaints.

I took this comparison image for anyone interested in Input Lag:
compare03zn6.jpg

As one can see, the L246WP is clearly superior to the Samsung 214T, a 21 inch version of the 244T that suffers from input lag badly. (Granted that doesn't realy say much. I got the 214T just about a year ago.)

After much consideration, I went ahead and got this L246WP at best buy this morning and have no complaints.

compare03zn6.jpg

As one can see, the L246WP is clearly superior to the Samsung 214T, a 21 inch version of the 244T that suffers from input lag badly. (Granted that doesn't realy say much. I got the 214T just about a year ago.)

Hey how do you measure the input lag. Can you send a link for the program?

Hey how do you measure the input lag. Can you send a link for the program?

This one is virtual stopwatch pro. It's the trial version so it will stop working after 2 weeks. That's all the time I needed anyway though.

Just make sure you set the timer to show 1/1000 of a second.

What do you think of text? I find that it isn't as sharp as it could be.
Definitely readable. Just not as sharp.

compare03zn6.jpg

It's not very good over D-sub but I think it looks sharp over DVI-HDMI. Use ClearType tuner if you need to increase sharpness/readability.

I run over HDMI. I think it might be my vid card. I am running an older PowerMac while I wait for the Mac Pro to be updated.

I have played with it on my Mac and it looks better than it did. Also, my eyeone will be here tomorrow. So I get to calibrate :p

It's not very good over D-sub but I think it looks sharp over DVI-HDMI. Use ClearType tuner if you need to increase sharpness/readability.

It may have been cleartype fonts anti-aliasing softening the edges or a camera artifact.
fontsre0.jpg

This is also a photo of the actual pixels. (I am using HDMI / DVI)

compare03zn6.jpg

I'm sure a lot of ppl are wondering this so i'm going to be the dumb one and ask, isn't the the one with the lower time the faster monitor? the 214T looks like it's got a LOWER input lag time than the L246WP

I'm sure a lot of ppl are wondering this so i'm going to be the dumb one and ask, isn't the the one with the lower time the faster monitor? the 214T looks like it's got a LOWER input lag time than the L246WP

hehe It's a stopwatch, it counts UP.

The faster screen shows a higher number. Both start at 0.00.000

At the instant of camera shutter: LG outputed 3.981s worth of frames while Samsung is still at 3.949s.

Had it been a countdown timer, it would have been the reverse.

Back