LG L245WP - the first S-IPS 24"

Mav451 said:
Seriously my only question: is there input-lag?

I'd like to go back to FPS gaming on LCDs soon. Thanks :)

I really don't think that this monitor is going to be the epiphany of gaming LCD's, don't get me wrong, I hope it is. I like PC games quite a bit but that's not why I (or most people, I'd imagine) ordered this panel. I will let you know if it's any good for games when I get it though. Hopefully only 2 days now =)

artmonkey said:
I really don't think that this monitor is going to be the epiphany of gaming LCD's, don't get me wrong, I hope it is. I like PC games quite a bit but that's not why I (or most people, I'd imagine) ordered this panel. I will let you know if it's any good for games when I get it though. Hopefully only 2 days now =)

Input lag is not necessarily a "gaming" LCD quality--most people associate that with 2ms response times (think VX922). It is with a certain irony that the VX922, a TN panel, also has the least input lag as well.

But my point is, unfortunately, I already have a 24". Going back to 19" would be more than painful...to say the least. Any 24" owner would understand :)

whoa wait you've ordered this? i thought it would come out later this month or something? if you did actually order the LG L245WP thatd be awesome, as i'm desperately waiting to see if this will finally be what the BenQ should have been (and hopefully more...)

dMb said:
whoa wait you've ordered this? i thought it would come out later this month or something? if you did actually order the LG L245WP thatd be awesome, as i'm desperately waiting to see if this will finally be what the BenQ should have been (and hopefully more...)

Oops, I got confused there, it's not this monitor I ordered, sorry about that. This screen looks promicing though but I have already ordered the 26" NEC.

Hi.
First I was thinking to buy Benq FP241W, but then I changed my mind and ordered LG L245WP, not sure when those monitors are available. Estimate was 10.11, not sure anymore...Any other good alternative for 24" WS?

I think this one will be the best 24" out there when it's released, cause of S-IPS panel. :)

Can't wait!!

True, I now have LM201U04 S-IPS panel. New one must be way better...at least contrast.but it might still take months to get this L245WP.

xeefus said:
Hmm, I was hoping for 16.7 since I read there's a noticable difference between it and 16.2 million colors :)

I have searched the web about this and found out what it means:

16.2m colors = 6bit panel (actually 262144 colours)
16.7m colors = 8bit panel (actually 16,777,216 colors)

The amount of colours the human eye can see is believed to be around 10 million. I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't touch a 6bit panel.

artmonkey said:
The amount of colours the human eye can see is believed to be around 10 million. I don't know about anyone else but I wouldn't touch a 6bit panel.
Isn't 6-bit more common among TN panels? At TFT Central news it says "8 bit colors".

any news? supposedly release date. not looking too hopeful right now... :rolleyes:

Estimate delivery is next week, if not then I will take Benq 24" model instead. Cant wait forever. Some say that delivery might be at december...

hmmmmmm I might have my EX in london get me a copy to ship to me long before it reaches the states :D

kleox64 said:
HDMI is replacing DVI, it is an evolution of DVI with contect protection (plus support for higher colour depth and resolution)

I thought UDI will replace DVI and coexist with HDMI?

What makes you think S-IPS panels have a better image quality than VA type, say P-MVA or S-PVA panels? Just because IPS types have a wider viewing angle and better color reproduction doesn't make it better than VA types, which have better contrast/blacks.

Does the LG L245WP have lower contrast then the 24" S-PVA panels? I thought all of them have 1000:1?

S-PVA's do have deeper blacks then any of the other panels. But they also have problems with black level details, so its kind of a give and get situation.

On S-PVA's, you have a "turn your head a little, and then you see all the black level details you were supposed to see" ;)

peTeMelster said:
What makes you think S-IPS panels have a better image quality than VA type, say P-MVA or S-PVA panels? Just because IPS types have a wider viewing angle and better color reproduction doesn't make it better than VA types, which have better contrast/blacks.

Quoted numbers are quite misleading. Dark tones suck on *VA IMO since they wash out at the drop of a hat.

Would you rather have a monitor that has 1000:1 contrast in the very center of the screen, but falls to 500:1 at different parts of the screen. Contrast changes all over the screen even if you are perfectly centered.

Or would you rather have one that had 800:1 even contrast all over the screen?

I would take the constant even contrast over the one that shifted all over the place. Even if the quoted number was lower.

90% of the numbers quoted are absolute BS. Lately Samsung has even started quoting 180 degree viewing angles which is physically impossible even when looking at real world objects. There are absolutely no standards for most of the numbers they make up. Certain Samsung PVA panels have IMO the worse horizontal viewing consistency, yet they market the best "Numbers".

so it is out only in Europe? I'm eagerly waiting on some reviews for this. This could be the one to push me over for 24" :)

My Asus V6Va has an S-IPS screen. If this LG has a 24" S-IPS panel, it'll be to die for!

peTeMelster said:
I never said a thing about numbers.

Contrast by numbers are 24" S-PVA 1000:1, 24" P-MVA 1000:1 and 24" S-IPS 1000:1, so numbers say the same.

Then what did you mean with ..."VA types, which have better contrast/blacks."?

Better contrast in most given situations, like all angles? Better contrast in a single given situation, like dead center view?

Better black in level of darkness? Better black in black level details? Better black in any given situation? Better black in a single given situation?

Great, I ordered one of these when they were first listed in a few Swedish shops for ridiculously low prices (~$700), thought the order processed fine since I was asked to pay which I did, but today when the monitor was supposed to ship I got an email saying they made a mistake with the price and asked me to either pay an additional ~$400 (so $1100 total) or wait a few days for them to refund. I took the refund.

What sucks is that I missed a Dell 2407WFP A03 with 4-year warranty for 725€ shipped from Germany while waiting for the LG to ship. I also don't get why LG support assured me the pricing was correct before I placed an order (asked them about shipping and pricing) when it obviously wasn't. Is this because of some EU DVI/HDMI tax that got them, shops trying to rip people off or LG realizing theres no other 24" in the $600-700 category?

Gah, just pissed I had to wait almost a month and now keep waiting for something with 1920x1200 resolution to come at a decent price... :(

If you paid for it and they accepted the transaction, that's a binding contract - they should have given you the monitor at that price...

Tamlin_WSGF said:
Contrast by numbers are 24" S-PVA 1000:1, 24" P-MVA 1000:1 and 24" S-IPS 1000:1, so numbers say the same.

Then what did you mean with ..."VA types, which have better contrast/blacks."?

Better contrast in most given situations, like all angles? Better contrast in a single given situation, like dead center view?

Better black in level of darkness? Better black in black level details? Better black in any given situation? Better black in a single given situation?

They have better blacks according to the sticky about panel types in this section of the forum.

Hello,
Here is the first review of L245WP:
http://pclab.pl/art23330-1.html
Unfortunately it's in polish ;). If I found time later I'll translate some parts for you (if you want). What I noticed is most important:
- confirmed that only HDMI port (no DVI)
- you get only d-sub cable (no HDMI cable or converter from DVI to HDMI)
- no composite or s-video input, only component
- some strange red bleeding with black screen when viewing from some angles (there is a picture)
- aspect ratio control (ARC) with Full screen or 1:1 (works only form HDMI or component) - slight dissapointment there is no 4:3 or 16:9 option, but at least there is 1:1
- yellow cast at extreme angles view
- anit-flare coating - something similar to glass

Summary
Pros:
- excellent color reproduction and saturation
- coating is improving picture quality
- low response time
- good viewing angles
- HDMI, usb hub, pivot

Cons:
- yellow cast at high viewing angles
- coating is slightly reflecting environemnt
- high price (999 euro)

Expected release time: December/January

paviko said:
Hello,
Here is the first review of L245WP:
http://pclab.pl/art23330-1.html

Looking at the angle screen shots in that review, I would say that is a VA screen, not a S-IPS screen. Quite bad loss of contrast at angle. Either it is VA or the figured out how to really make S-IPS suck. Looking around I can't find anything at all from LG on this. This is not a S-IPS panel IMO.

BTW it would not be the first time people thought LG - S-IPS when it was really VA. Does LG indicate S-IPS or is that an assumption this time? Here I think even LG was mixed up:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/598-6/20-inches-lcd-p-mva-vs-s-ips.html

Snowdog said:
Looking at the angle screen shots in that review, I would say that is a VA screen, not a S-IPS screen. Quite bad loss of contrast at angle. Either it is VA or the figured out how to really make S-IPS suck. Looking around I can't find anything at all from LG on this. This is not a S-IPS panel IMO.

BTW it would not be the first time people thought LG - S-IPS when it was really VA. Does LG indicate S-IPS or is that an assumption this time? Here I think even LG was mixed up:

http://www.behardware.com/articles/598-6/20-inches-lcd-p-mva-vs-s-ips.html

Looks like it comes in a MVA variant as well:

L245WP-SF
Hopefully there will be an S-IPS model too. LG Sweden has gotten the L245WP up on their pages too, but no mention of panel type.
L245WP-BN

Tamlin_WSGF said:
Looks like it comes in a MVA variant as well:

I liked it better when S-IPS was 23" and the only 23" was S-IPS. Plus they didn't feel the need to keep up with 500 cd/m2 stats either.

Oh dear. Why does there have to be MVA and S-IPS model...? There is probably no knowing which model I get if I order one, short of opening the monitor and checking the panel type. None of the dealers around here seem to mention which model they offer...

So... this is no S-IPS panel? F*** that... I was so excited about the monitor :(

Hmmm. New 26" Nec S-IPS display is starting to look more interesting day after day...

kenpas said:
Oh dear. Why does there have to be MVA and S-IPS model...? There is probably no knowing which model I get if I order one, short of opening the monitor and checking the panel type. None of the dealers around here seem to mention which model they offer...

I have yet to see any evidence that there is in fact a S-IPS version. The only thing we know for sure is that there is an MVA version.

As far as the 26" NEC, that is going to be VERY expensive, you can probably get a 30" 2560x1600 S-IPS from dell for less.

Snowdog said:
I liked it better when S-IPS was 23" and the only 23" was S-IPS. Plus they didn't feel the need to keep up with 500 cd/m2 stats either.

I agree. I liked the lower pixel pitch and brightness got turned down anyway :p

Too bad the NEC 24" s-ips doesn't hit europe :(

Snowdog said:
As far as the 26" NEC, that is going to be VERY expensive, you can probably get a 30" 2560x1600 S-IPS from dell for less.
That's true. Here in Finland the 26" Nec is priced at 1700 euros and the 24" LG about 1000 euros... Prices are probably going to change after the displays are released here.

Nec is clearly targeted at professional users and serious hobbyists.

Back