LG L245WP - the first S-IPS 24"

k1mch1

n00b
Joined
Oct 18, 2006
Messages
19
1019diykenlg2401ae4.jpg


LG Intros NextGen LCD Monitors

http://it.com.cn/f/diy/0610/20/338459.htm
 

Scyles

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jul 30, 2006
Messages
1,191
Its about time. I hope it will be reasonably priced, else many will just go for the 30" Dell S-IPS.
 

blunden

n00b
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
39
Scyles said:
Its about time. I hope it will be reasonably priced, else many will just go for the 30" Dell S-IPS.
There is no bigger S-IPS than this I think. The Dell 3007WFP is not an S-IPS at least.
 

Drags

Gawd
Joined
Apr 26, 2005
Messages
976
blunden said:
There is no bigger S-IPS than this I think. The Dell 3007WFP is not an S-IPS at least.

The 3007WFP is S-IPS?! It uses an LG.Philips LM300W01 S-IPS panel :)
 

tHe_BiNk

n00b
Joined
Oct 22, 2006
Messages
18
The only question, does it, or does it not, have both a DVI and HDMI? Some sites state that it only has a HDMI, and no DVI port.

"The connection aspect, L245WP quite is also out of the ordinary. According to the LG introduction, it has provided D-Sub, HDMI and the component 3 kind of connections, but certainly does not have the DVI connection, perhaps this also created an item "the world first" - in the world first section not to provide the DVI connection 24 inch wide screen liquid-crystal display."
 

tHe_BiNk

n00b
Joined
Oct 22, 2006
Messages
18
xeefus said:
?? :( How do I use it on my computer then?

Don't worry a DVI-to-HDMI cable will fix this. DVI is also likely to be replaced by HDMI (already some video cards have both DVI and HDMI ports).
 

blunden

n00b
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
39
Badd said:
The 3007WFP is S-IPS?! It uses an LG.Philips LM300W01 S-IPS panel :)
Sorry about that. I just made the logical conclusion that since the 24" didn't use that, the 30" wasn't either. It seems nothing is logical in the world of LCD's. ;) :D 30" S-IPS sounds like one bad ass monitor. :D

xeefus: I guess you have to use a converter from HDMI to DVI. Sounds like a strange move though since it's after all a computer monitor and not a TV.
 

kleox64

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 21, 2004
Messages
1,467
HDMI is replacing DVI, it is an evolution of DVI with contect protection (plus support for higher colour depth and resolution)
 

xeefus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
328
Oh. Will it be sold everywhere? That monitor looks just so sweet. If the price is right I'll get one!
 

Shaman

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 17, 2006
Messages
501
The russian site says the contrast is DFC, does it mean it has dynamic constrast?
 

Morphy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 11, 2006
Messages
261
lol I'm just waiting for StalkerZERO to see this thread :D :D
edit:nm he's looking for a 30" :p
 

joemama

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Sep 13, 2000
Messages
9,576
24" S-IPS....even the sound of it seems to cry out EXPENSIVE. :D Hope I'm wrong about that though. I can appreciate the minimalist thin black bezel but I really would like to see a little more style and imagination with the stand... like Asus' PW201 or even something like the stand Dell uses on it's current monitors. The thick black cylinder doesn't really do anything for me. :(
 

MentatYP

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
497

vizx

Weaksauce
Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
103
was there a release date written in one of those links or did i miss it?

in any case, does anyone know when it will be released? confirmed MSRP?

figures, i just bought a sony sdmp-234b for $750 bucks and now this comes out...

one more inch, hdmi and hdcp among other things...wow...my luck...

although this sony kicks posterior...
 

rblews

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 4, 2006
Messages
355
Going back to some earlier posts on this thread; I believe that D-Sub is a DVI connection, is it not?
 

Drags

Gawd
Joined
Apr 26, 2005
Messages
976
i'd be surprised if they left off DVI, but guess we will have to wait and see.
 

kleox64

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 21, 2004
Messages
1,467
Badd said:
i'd be surprised if they left off DVI, but guess we will have to wait and see.

you just need an adapter cable, no biggie since it probably ships with one.
 

xeefus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
328
tHe_BiNk said:
20 NOV is the release date on a number of sites, but nothing official.

I really hope so! This monitor looks awesome.
And now that I've almost quit gaming, I think I'm not as picky with ghosting and such anymore :p it would be perfect for me!
 

Drags

Gawd
Joined
Apr 26, 2005
Messages
976
Badd said:
i'd be surprised if they left off DVI, but guess we will have to wait and see.

according to the Chinese review translated:

"Interface, L245WP quite different.According to the LG, which provides a D-Sub, HDMI and three component interface. It does not have DVI, it might create a "first world" -- the world's first 24-inch one is not equipped with DVI Kuanbing LCD. "

Interesting, but a little odd....
 

DRAXX

n00b
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
2
I was thinking of getting a 2407 originally but with all the problems it had, I found myself going for the benq fp241w. But with the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping, i decided not to go for it.
D oes anyone know if this will include 1:1 mapping. Would like it mostly for when i plug in a console. I am mostly a PC user so its not such a big deal but would be nice. :)

also what are the specifications compared to the 2407 and the fp241w? Would be nice to see if this is better or of similar quality. :D
 

xeefus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
328
DRAXX said:
I was thinking of getting a 2407 originally but with all the problems it had, I found myself going for the benq fp241w. But with the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping, i decided not to go for it.
D oes anyone know if this will include 1:1 mapping. Would like it mostly for when i plug in a console. I am mostly a PC user so its not such a big deal but would be nice. :)

also what are the specifications compared to the 2407 and the fp241w? Would be nice to see if this is better or of similar quality. :D

I guess since this is the first S-IPS one, it's going to be far better in image quality! I can't wait :)
 

zyxi

n00b
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
12
Wow! The price seems unbelievable, if true. Makes me want to hold off buying a 1600x1200 monitor. I didn't want less than 1200 vertical res, but a 1920x1200 monitor at a comparable price makes me pause...
(but I can't wait, I've just moved and don't have a monitor *at all*; typing this on a projector!)
 

cb474

n00b
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
34
Hmm, I was thinking of getting the Benq FP241W, but was worried about viewing angles. An S-IPS monitor could be pretty interesting.

Are LG monitors generally available in the U.S.? I only see them for sale at Circuit City (not a lot of competition on the prices that way).

So the DVI to HDMI conversion doesn't effect quality in any way?

Any word on the 1:1 pixel mapping?

Also, since this is an LG monitor, I assume it will have the same type of LG-Phillips S-IPS panels that are in the Apple Cinema Displays?
 

kenpas

n00b
Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
27
cb474 said:
Also, since this is an LG monitor, I assume it will have the same type of LG-Phillips S-IPS panels that are in the Apple Cinema Displays?
Most likely not, because LG is 24-inch and Cinema Display is 23-inch. The specs of these two displays are also different.
 
Joined
Oct 29, 2003
Messages
945
If only LG makes a 20.1" widescreen with black bezel. Then I can pair one up with the 24" when it's released.
 

artmonkey

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 3, 2006
Messages
186
xeefus said:
... But it says only 16.2 million colors?! That's not right is it? :(

I think this is correct, although 8bit values for each of the RGB colours should come to 16.7m and not 16.2m. Does anyone know why there is a slight difference? if it's correct I guess there is some trickery in the figures going on. That said, even the NEC LCD2690, which is made for colour accuracy and has a 12bit (68.5 billion colours) LUT (look up table) still can only out put 16.7 million colours.

This NEC (LCD2690WUXi) is also an IPS panel but is labelled specifically as "A-TW-IPS (Advanced True White) IPS panel", I don't know how this compares to an S-IPS panel, it's all so confusing...
 

xeefus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
328
artmonkey said:
I think this is correct, although 8bit values for each of the RGB colours should come to 16.7m and not 16.2m. Does anyone know why there is a slight difference? if it's correct I guess there is some trickery in the figures going on. That said, even the NEC LCD2690, which is made for colour accuracy and has a 12bit (68.5 billion colours) LUT (look up table) still can only out put 16.7 million colours.

This NEC (LCD2690WUXi) is also an IPS panel but is labelled specifically as "A-TW-IPS (Advanced True White) IPS panel", I don't know how this compares to an S-IPS panel, it's all so confusing...

Hmm, I was hoping for 16.7 since I read there's a noticable difference between it and 16.2 million colors :)
 

kenpas

n00b
Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
27
Hmm. Seems to be priced below 900 euros in Finland. Release date is listed as 10th of October (that's next Friday), which I somehow doubt... :)
 

Mav451

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 23, 2004
Messages
4,734
Seriously my only question: is there input-lag?

I'd like to go back to FPS gaming on LCDs soon. Thanks :)
 

xeefus

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 25, 2005
Messages
328
kenpas said:
Hmm. Seems to be priced below 900 euros in Finland. Release date is listed as 10th of October (that's next Friday), which I somehow doubt... :)

That was last month dude...
 
Top