LG L227WT

This week LG has announced the release of their new 22"WS monitor in the UK, featuring a 1680 x 1050 resolution, 2ms G2G response time, 5000:1 dynamic contrast ratio (see note later), 300 cd/m2 brightness and 170/170 viewing angles. The screen is TN Film based. We originally discussed this screen way back in July and the colour gamut was expected to be 97% of the NTSC colour space back then. Now LG are listing it with a gamut covering 100%, but whether this is a case of some slightly exagerated marketing remains a possibility.

LG's press released states:

"The L227WT’s design perfectly compliments its high-end specifications with a sleek, thin bezel and a gloss-black finish housing its superior technology. The monitor is operated by a touch sensitive circular power button. Other controls, such as the F-Engine and ez-zooming, are neatly tucked away at the bottom of screen, making it a stylish addition to any home or business.

The L227WT incorporates LG’s new proprietary technology, ‘ez-zooming’, a feature that gives users the ability to reduce screen resolution by one setting with just a touch of a button. This technology, which is unique to LG, is perfect for enhancing imagery and making the monitor easier to use."

However, LG's German site and Prad.de are reporting that the L227WT will feature a dynamic contrast ratio of 10,000:1, thanks to an upgraded chip which is now being used. Retail price is 379 Euroes.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/9.htm#lg_l227wt

....I'm awaiting reviews.....

I got this monitor for £165, it used to be £226. Beautiful colours, I can't see any back light bleed, no dead pixels and everything looks beautiful and sharp. I came from a 17" LG LCD and this thing displays colours waaay better.

Very happy!

I got this monitor for £165, it used to be £226. Beautiful colours, I can't see any back light bleed, no dead pixels and everything looks beautiful and sharp. I came from a 17" LG LCD and this thing displays colours waaay better.

Very happy!

Yeah, just bought one here in the UK for £168 delivered next day from IT247. Looking forward to playing Crysis Warhead and Stalker Clear Sky in widescreen. Good to hear you have had a good experience wth yours.

Btw the Digitalversus review is probably the only poor review of this monitor. Prad, TFT Central, Trustedreviews, Computer Shopper, Custom PC pretty much liked it.

The Prad review is the most comprehensive. Very little input lag with this monitor, should be ideal for gaming

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2008/review-lg-l227wt.html

Got mine yesterday. Here are my thoughts...

Pros

No dead pixels
Minimal backlight blead at < 40% brightness in a dark room
Crystal clear image
Wide colour gamut, providing stunning colours
Looks very stylish/elegant
No ghosting or any perceivable input lag - brilliant for gaming
No colour banding or patchy areas
1:1 pixel mapping for older games that don't support widescreen
Viewing angles are surprisingly good for a TN panel, no issues at all - side to side or up and down.
Cool, circular blue LED power light, matches my Antec P180 case lights (I should get out more!)

Cons

Slight buzz when monitor turned off. Strangely silent when on!
OSD and buttons are tricky to use. I'd recommend Forte Manager instead.
Some backlight bleed at the bottom of the screen with dark images > 40% brightness in a dark room.
No vertical height adjustment - my 8800GT box is working overtime!
Fingerprint/dust magnet!

Conclusion

An outstanding monitor that displays a superb crystal clear picture and superb value for money. Very few issues and the best TN panel I have seen (I've had 5) Simply blows away the Samsung SM2232BW - which I returned for a refund.

Highly recommended.

Got mine yesterday. Here are my thoughts...

Pros

No dead pixels
Minimal backlight blead at < 40% brightness in a dark room
Crystal clear image
Wide colour gamut, providing stunning colours
Looks very stylish/elegant
No ghosting or any perceivable input lag - brilliant for gaming
No colour banding or patchy areas
1:1 pixel mapping for older games that don't support widescreen
Viewing angles are surprisingly good for a TN panel, no issues at all - side to side or up and down.
Cool, circular blue LED power light, matches my Antec P180 case lights (I should get out more!)

Cons

Slight buzz when monitor turned off. Strangely silent when on!
OSD and buttons are tricky to use. I'd recommend Forte Manager instead.
Some backlight bleed at the bottom of the screen with dark images > 40% brightness in a dark room.
No vertical height adjustment - my 8800GT box is working overtime!
Fingerprint/dust magnet!

Conclusion

An outstanding monitor that displays a superb crystal clear picture and superb value for money. Very few issues and the best TN panel I have seen (I've had 5) Simply blows away the Samsung SM2232BW - which I returned for a refund.

Highly recommended.

the wide color gamut is a con for most people. it does nothing but distort things and it is impossible to manually correct.

the wide color gamut is a con for most people. it does nothing but distort things and it is impossible to manually correct.

I must like bright colours then as I even turn up the Digital Vibrance in the Nvidia control panel.

Back