LG L226WT 22" 3000:1 Contrast

hmm depending on how much this thing cost i'm gonna either get the new samsung 22 inch or this LG. Both have component input anyways and I think I like the look of the LG more. I wonder if either one comes with a a stand that can rotate though.

Good news, everyone!

I just called my local Best-Buy, and the rep. said the model is currently in transit and will be arriving in the next few days. :D

Interesting. Let us know when they are actually at the store. I notice bestbuy.com does not list them yet. Did they happen to mention a price?

Interesting. Let us know when they are actually at the store. I notice bestbuy.com does not list them yet. Did they happen to mention a price?

Heh, I didn't ask. I guess I was just too excited that I forgot about price. :p

But I'll call back in a few days to make sure they got them and everything, and probably inquire more at that time. But I'm betting by then, someone's bound to already have bought one and be posting here with all their thoughts.

I'll be going to Best Buy next weekened and most likely be purchasing this monitor, granted I read good reviews based on the few that will hopefully already have a model.

I'm curious how it turns out. I already own a 5ms 22" TN panel, mostly because I never am anything but perpendicular to the screen and I own a colorimeter for calibration. But, mine doesn't have DFC. Since I am still within my costco return policy period, I would take this one back and get the LG if it turn out well. Keep me posted! :)

I think they use the same Philips panel. They have identical specs down the line. They should be similar, but one might have the edge. I hope they both come out soon because I need to retire this 21" CRT.

whats the chance of these having 1:1 pixel mapping? thats what im hoping for and thats why i haven't already bought the 20in 2000:1 contrast LG

so what about the other sizes? arent they coming out with a whole new line? isn't there a 206?

they all are using the same panel right? what is it exactly?

and is this monitor even good? does anyone know?

I would be interested in this monitor if it had a native resolution of 1600x1200.

I just got back from BB,as we have one a 10 minute walk from our highrise.I was told they are on the way,BUT,they have a one year warranty only.If I want more,its service plan,or prp,which is allot $$$ on top of this 20 minute ago cheap 22".St.Laurent location in Ottawa.They said 6 are on order for that store.Heck my two 17" LG's both have a 3 year warranty ! One was 279$(1750s) the other 219$(1715sk) ! I find that odd,but oh well,I'm waiting on the 2407 A04 to have broader availablity before I slap down my 800~

That price is about $75 more than the 22” Viewsonic, is it a much better monitor? I like the fact it doesn’t have speakers. It looks really sharp.

That price is about $75 more than the 22” Viewsonic, is it a much better monitor? I like the fact it doesn’t have speakers. It looks really sharp.

There are other 22" out there, in fact the Viewsonic is a bit overpriced, many others are now going for around $299 and do not have speakers.

again arent there other sizes of this monitor line coming out? like a 206? arent they all the same panel too? or was it the 22" is a specifically different panel? i cant recall?

are there any reviews for this up yet? (for sites that may have snagged a test model or something). i'd like to see how this compares to the dell and nec IPS performers.

399 eh? well gee, can this thing stand up to the NEC for gaming, or the Dell 2007 even? i'd really like to know.

i'm also wondering why nio ones talking about the l206, i wonder how much that costs and i wonder how much better the l246 compares to the others, since people only seem to be talking about the 226.

do you guys think it'll be possible to use the best buy reward coupon 12% off on this lcd? the coupon expires 2/19/07 so hopefully they'll have them in stock before then.

Well, i just found this monitor on the LG USA website

Its marketed as a Vista Ready Monitor, so i would imagine that it will be available with the vista launch on the 30th. Lets cross our fingers. It looks sweet.

I was looking for some more info on this monitor and came across this from TFT Central:

While information is limited at this stage, LG have shown their new 22" offering off in Asia, offering a massive 3000:1 contrast ratio as well as a nice new design. The contrast ratio is of course only due to the use of Digital Fine Contrast (DFC), but is still impressive if it can achieve anywhere near this kind of variation in practice. The L226WT uses LG.Philips new 22" TN Film panel (LM220WE1) offering a 5ms response time, 300 cd/m2 brightness, 16.7 million colour palette and 160/160 viewing angles.

Whenever LG boasts about contrast that seems to good to be true, that's because it is. Their contrasts are reported with their dynamic ranged, so in one random scene in some random test in their lab the monitor pulled off 3000:1. Will your monitor be 3000:1 for all of your content? 99.99% of the time I doubt it would.

I'm highly skeptical of this monitor. Both LG and Samsung use this "magic color" crap, to artificially increase the contrast but make it look like garbage. There's no way this monitor has an actual contrast of 3000:1, my guess would be 600:1 normal, 3000:1 dynamic (magic color.)

I had a samsung 931bf with supposedly a "2000:1" contrast ratio, and it looked absolutely horrible. All magic color does is DECREASE the color from 16.2 million to probably 500,000. It "rounds" each color up or down to the next closest color, in ordor to increase the contrast.

If you're still confused think of it this way... Let's say a picture has two different hues of blue/green. One is slightly more blue, one is slightly more green.

What magic color (or whatever they're calling it now) does is round the blue-ish blue/green to completely blue like in this :(

and round the greenish blue/green to an extreme green like this:p

What does this translate into?

It looks absolutely disgusting for anything except cartoons.

And it's STILL A TN PANEL. There's no way you're going to get actual good performance out of anything lower than a pva, it's physically impossible. The only advantage of the TN panel is its response time. Don't fall for these gimmicks like I did.

I'm highly skeptical of this monitor. Both LG and Samsung use this "magic color" crap, to artificially increase the contrast but make it look like garbage. There's no way this monitor has an actual contrast of 3000:1, my guess would be 600:1 normal, 3000:1 dynamic (magic color.)

I had a samsung 931bf with supposedly a "2000:1" contrast ratio, and it looked absolutely horrible. All magic color does is DECREASE the color from 16.2 million to probably 500,000. It "rounds" each color up or down to the next closest color, in ordor to increase the contrast.

If you're still confused think of it this way... Let's say a picture has two different hues of blue/green. One is slightly more blue, one is slightly more green.

What magic color (or whatever they're calling it now) does is round the blue-ish blue/green to completely blue like in this :(

and round the greenish blue/green to an extreme green like this:p

What does this translate into?

It looks absolutely disgusting for anything except cartoons.

And it's STILL A TN PANEL. There's no way you're going to get actual good performance out of anything lower than a pva, it's physically impossible. The only advantage of the TN panel is its response time. Don't fall for these gimmicks like I did.

No offense, but if you haven't even seen this particular display yet, your opinions don't have much legitimacy. I know you think you're offering insight, but until we have someone who can actually get there hands on this display, I'm kind of throwing everything you said out the window.

And it's already been verfied in this, and the other LG thread, that it is an 8-bit manufactured by LG and not the other 22' manufacturer (Chei) who does produce less than quality parts. The 3000:1 ct was also explained as well. And the TN used in the L204, also manufactured by LG, has been widely adored.

Whenever LG boasts about contrast that seems to good to be true, that's because it is. Their contrasts are reported with their dynamic ranged, so in one random scene in some random test in their lab the monitor pulled off 3000:1. Will your monitor be 3000:1 for all of your content? 99.99% of the time I doubt it would.

It is no random scene that they do testing of dynamic contrast on. It isn't a "scene" at all. , It's as I described below.

Actually, the way they measure it is simple: they don't do it in real time. They take a full white frame (where the auto brightness would be at full blast), measure it, then they take a full black frame (where the auto light would be at its dimmest), then measure that. Thats how they get the 2000:1+ numbers. This is called on/off contrast and says nothing about the real contrast of the panel.

IMO, if its not real time, it is NOT contrast. You need to have black and white on the screen at the same time and measure those. I think thats how ANSI contrast is measured.

One of the huge drawbacks of this auto backlight adjustment thing is that you can notice the hardware changing the light from bright to dim... its annoying, if you ask me.

Lets hope the actual contrast of this panel is at least half of the 3000:1 on/off spec.

Don't get me wrong, I am fully planning on buying this monitor if it ever actually arrives and has similar performance to the 204. I just won't use the auto contrast thing and hope that it has good actual (single scene) contrast.

I stopped off at a Best Buy (Cincinnati area) on my way home from work today, and they had this monitor on display. It didn't even have the regular product info tags on the shelf, just a handwritten tag with the model # and price of $399.99.

I stopped off at a Best Buy (Cincinnati area) on my way home from work today, and they had this monitor on display. It didn't even have the regular product info tags on the shelf, just a handwritten tag with the model # and price of $399.99.

And what did it look like? Please tell me you actually went up and gave it careful observation, and didn't just conveniantly walk past it blowing it off. :)p )

Alright, so we have confirmation that it's finally for sale...so somebody buy it now! We need reviews...:D

i know i've been hounding about this, but arent all the 2x6 models and sizes a new release? are those also on display at the best buy? because i think i'd like to get the 20", or the IPS versioned 24" instead, and was curious if they (the 206 and 246) were there as well.

And what did it look like? Please tell me you actually went up and gave it careful observation, and didn't just conveniantly walk past it blowing it off. :)p )

Alright, so we have confirmation that it's finally for sale...so somebody buy it now! We need reviews...:D

I did look at it quite closely, and I thought it was superior to the Sammy, Westy, and Gateway 22"ers also displayed. It had a swivel base, but I did not see any height adjustment. The colors looked extremely good.

I've also been checking out the Viewsonic 22" at Costco, and I really wish I could see them side by side. I do prefer the look of the LG bezel and overall design, and that it doesn't have the built in speakers like the Viewsonic. But the LG is $70 more.

I'm still on the fence if I want to spend the extra $ for a 24" though. I currently have a Dell 2001FP.

i know i've been hounding about this, but arent all the 2x6 models and sizes a new release? are those also on display at the best buy? because i think i'd like to get the 20", or the IPS versioned 24" instead, and was curious if they (the 206 and 246) were there as well.

They had the 20, but no sign of a 24. Same thing with it, just a handwritten card with the model # and price. I can't remember what the price on the 20 was.

how did the 20" look in comparison to the 22"? (it's too bad the 24" wasnt there because i beleive that's the one with the nice panel in it).

I did look at it quite closely, and I thought it was superior to the Sammy, Westy, and Gateway 22"ers also displayed. It had a swivel base, but I did not see any height adjustment. The colors looked extremely good.

How were the viewing angles?

This is exciting, I might accelerate my purchase of this particular monitor. In fact, I'm going in the city tomorrow and might swing buy a BB to check one out on display. I probably won't buy it then, but atleast get a good look.....And then buy it next week :p

Thanks, jgreen, for the info :)

so has anyone seen the IPS 24" or knows how much it costs?

and do the 20" and 22" effectively perform the same?

Back