LG L226WT 22" 3000:1 Contrast

Thanks, mindaugas. Much appreciated.
If I'm unable to find an L226WT-BF, would the L226WTX-BF be better than the L226WTQ-BF?

Yes. L226WT-BF and L226WTX-BF are fine. The Q model is NOT fine.

I just noted that the DVI-D cable I bought to use with a single LG 226WT 22 inch monitor is dual-link. Besides being "overkill" with a single 22 inch LCD, is there any harm or image quality issue from using dual link cable in this way?

Vid. card is eVGA 8800GTS 640 mb.

I'm still waiting for my components to arrive so no "real world" opportunity yet to check results...so thanks for info. / explanations.

BTW...I was playing extensively with a 226 WT QBF at my local Circuit City other day and the quality looked spectacular. How strong is the evidence against "Q"...was it just 1 or 2 bad apples or has this been a consistent quality issue?

Thanks To All In This Excellent Forum!

When looking at the Q, pay attention only to ghosting b/c apparently that is why it is so terrible.

OK, will check next time I can stop by C.C. Is it rapid movement of an object that will demonstrate it best?

Any info on the 226WTQ would be much appreciated as that is the only model that we can get here in NZ. If it is as crap as some of the people have said then it'll be the sammy for me.

First of all, hello everybody, I am new here.

Now, right down to business.

I ordered yesterday the LG L226 WA-SN. I ordered it directly from Germany where apart from it they also had 2 other models of this. the WT I think, and one with just WA. The WT was the cheapest one, where the plain WA was the most expensive. There was very little info on the WA-SN, where for the WA had plenty of info including one of the reasons of why I am interested in it, the HDMI and Component. (Xbox 360)
After 2 long phone calls (they called me!) the guy on the phone persuaded me that the WA and the WA-SN are the exact same model, it is just that different suppliers supplied them with each "model" and that's why the difference in price and details on the site. So, I ordered instead the "other model" the WA-SN for 60 euros less! I just hope he was right about this and the WA and the WA-SN are indeed the same monitors. If any of you has any knowledge on the matter please do say something.
Unfortunately I will have to wait till about the end of the month to receive it, but that's ok I guess. Oh, I got it for (including tax and p&p (UPS) ) 403 euros.

I am very glad I found this thread, and this forum, since it was one of the main reasons that I went for the L226 instead of say the Samsung model with the A and C and S or whatever panels "issue".

Well, I guess this is it for now :) When I get it I will post here again. Of course I will post in this forum again anyway, but you get my point.

After 2 long phone calls (they called me!) the guy on the phone persuaded me that the WA and the WA-SN are the exact same model, it is just that different suppliers supplied them with each "model" and that's why the difference in price and details on the site. So, I ordered instead the "other model" the WA-SN for 60 euros less! I just hope he was right about this and the WA and the WA-SN are indeed the same monitors. If any of you has any knowledge on the matter please do say something.

Hi, Im from Germany :)
the guy is right.
At present you can buy here in Germany the lg 226WA-SN and LG226WA-WN. The addition of the two last letters (SN/WN) is only a declaration to separate the colors("Silver, N..?" (N=black, maybe negro) "White, N..?". Thats the only difference.
Here you are the Links to the LG-site with SN and WN:
SN:http://http://de.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.do?actType=search&page=1&modelCategoryId=040103&categoryId=040103&parentId=0401&modelCodeDisplay=L226WA-SN&model=NOTHING
WN:http://http://de.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.do?actType=search&page=1&modelCategoryId=040103&categoryId=040103&parentId=0401&modelCodeDisplay=L226WA-WN&model=NOTHING

Have you got this Monitor/Display already? You get it very rarely in Germany because there is not a official date of release.
Give a review, please :).

Thank you for the information. :) I feel better now.

The status of my order is "In Bearbeitung" which in this case means they have accepted my payment and everything is going ok. :)
The problem is that they are waiting for stock, latest day about 25th, so I don't know if I will get it before the end of this month. I hope I do.

Of course I will post here when I get it and perhaps start a new thread about it.
I have never had a LG monitor so I hope they are good.

I'm surprised by the size of this thread. What is so special about these two monitors? Don't they both use TN panels?

Seems like the newer release panels are "Q" so I asked the manager at Best Buy what the difference is. He claimed the "Q" is newer and with finer dot pitch, smoother gradients, no negatives. Hype or truth...anyone know?

I'm surprised by the size of this thread. What is so special about these two monitors? Don't they both use TN panels?

They still use TN-film technology. I guess these LG displays are just... nice.

Seems like the newer release panels are "Q" so I asked the manager at Best Buy what the difference is. He claimed the "Q" is newer and with finer dot pitch, smoother gradients, no negatives. Hype or truth...anyone know?

I don't understand how the dot pitch can be finer if there are the same amount of pixels and the screen hasn't changed in size... :confused:

WT is without overdirve,
WTQ has overdrive.
But in this case overdrive has a disadvantage. It causes ghosting. But some people think that the newer range of the WTQ hasn´t ghosting(LG fixed the problem). Thats maybe the reason why we are waiting so long for the LG226WA. The first release date was January/February.
Here in Germany the WT is replaced by WTQ. Generally you can´t buy a WT here.

Overdrive is a way to reduce response time, although it can have negative side effects. What's confusing to me is why a newer model with 2ms vs 5ms response time would actually have more ghosting. We need more info on this WT/WTQ debacle. If anyone has a WTQ that doesn't exhibit any defects like Gusty's, please post.

And as a USA resident, I'm extremely jealous of Europe getting a WA model. I hope we get it soon because it has an HDMI input which would be great for my ps3.

Just got my LG 226WT (non "Q") and no ghosting at all. There is a bit of top & bottom backlight bleed but overall it's gorgeous, big and bright.

BTW, I haven't installed Forte Manager as I'd heard it was buggy...anyone know it that's worked out and worth doing?

Evidently the circuitry used to take the same panel in both WT and WTQ with improved response time for the "Q" can introduce errors that lead to ghosting or even images sticking. Search the anandtech forums as there's some nice discussions of the issue there. Glad I got my WT now as newer lots all seem to be "Q."

BTW, Circuit City in Northern California has the L226WT on sale at $329...pick up a $40 off coupon on EBay and you've got yourself a sweet deal!

I read the Anandtech thread. So....Basically there is no point in buying a 2ms monitor as they are all just 5ms monitors with some gimmicky software overdrive that actually causes more ghosting?

Pretty much. However, recent postings on that thread seem to have revealed something about the WTQ we didn't know before. Apparently, WTQs in Europe don't exhibit the ghosting issues that WTQs in USA do. It's been difficult to diagnose because when people post, they usually don't provide what region of the world they're in. At this point, the problem could be anything. Firmware could be higher on European models, fixing the issue. Or the European models have better components because they must conform to stricter standards than what we have in the USA. One of the European users mentioned TCO 03 and I'm not sure if our models have that certification. At the very least, our USA versions look different from European and Asian ones.

USA
http://us.lge.com/products/model/de...rs_full line of lcd monitors_L226WTQ-BF.jhtml

Elsewhere
http://detail.zol.com.cn/lcd/index102858.shtml

well i'm from asia and i do experience ghosting on this monitor too....

in fact the chinese website that u gave. there's lots of people complaining about it.

it's not only happening in the US

Well, I haven't received mine yet. I called them on Friday and they said they should have it by Monday. If not I will cancel my order. I found the 245 for 200 more euros and I think I will go for that one instead.

Well, I called them again today and they told me they are going to have the monitor on the 12th of June. Same old same old. I placed the order on the 15th I think and they originaly told me it would take only 1-2 days for them to get monitors to send. So I cancelled my order. I guess it wasn't meant for me to get the LG L226WA after all.

Now I think I have seen a LG L245 somewhere around here.

OK so I'm in the UK and can only find online stores that stock the LG226WTQ

So should I avoid this, go the 226BW
or alternatively a smaller :( (boo) L204WT

thanks guys

If you're in the market for a 22" monitor, i'd get the HP w2207. That is, of course, if you're a fan of the glossy coating. I got mine from Comet a few days ago and, personally, i think it's great.

OK so I'm in the UK and can only find online stores that stock the LG226WTQ

So should I avoid this, go the 226BW
or alternatively a smaller :( (boo) L204WT

thanks guys

If you know someone that speaks greek or german go to www.greek-shops.de The site is mainly in greek, but you can see a phone number and email there. Anyway, they do bring the 22" LG models but they are currently out of stock and they are expecting them (according to them) any day now. I gave up and went for the 24" (from another shop since the 24" from them was too expensive), but you might want to try it with them before you give up? They send to all of Europe so that shouldn't be a problem.

Can someone with this monitor post some pics of it in use please, there's hardly any good pics on the net.

Hello everyone!

I have a question: does the WTQ model support 1080i resolution like the WA? I've read the manual but it doesn't specify this feature..

Thank you! :)

Hello everyone!

I have a question: does the WTQ model support 1080i resolution like the WA? I've read the manual but it doesn't specify this feature..

Thank you! :)

I thought both monitors only supported 1680x1050 as their maximum resolution.

I thought both monitors only supported 1680x1050 as their maximum resolution.
Yes, their resolution is 1680*1050 like all 22", but WA can accept also a 1080i sorgent like ps3 or x360 and this is clearly write on the manual.. but for the WTQ I don't know if it's the same...

Every time I see a lovely 22" screen like this I wonder, for the love of god why it's 22" and not 20". Just why? Same resolution on a larger area = lower pixel density. I know this sounds a bit trivial, but if i'm shelling out hundreds upon hundreds for a display, I want a frigging crisp image. I love LG's stuff, but I am constantly gutted that it's so rarely got a 20" equivalent.

Every time I see a lovely 22" screen like this I wonder, for the love of god why it's 22" and not 20". Just why? Same resolution on a larger area = lower pixel density. I know this sounds a bit trivial, but if i'm shelling out hundreds upon hundreds for a display, I want a frigging crisp image. I love LG's stuff, but I am constantly gutted that it's so rarely got a 20" equivalent.

The increase in pixel pitch hardly makes any difference to the sharpness of the display, in my opinion. Can you tell the difference?

I've used this forum to help me shop hardware in the past, and I figured it was time I helped contribute to the knowledge base.

I recently bought a LG L226WT (5ms) from Future Shop in Canada (not the 2ms Q version). The monitor of course didn't come with a DVI cable. Aside from that, the monitor had no dead pixels or any other overt problems. I also installed the monitor driver that came with the disk.

I ran Oblivion on it, and thought I was seeing a touch of ghosting. Don't get me wrong, the ghosting issue was pretty tame and was tolerable. To confirm the ghosting issue, I used Paint to make both a red and purple circle. I then moved the two circles around on the desktop and could clearly see a ghosting effect.

Behind each moving colored circle, there was about an inch (2-3 cm) long blur/trail of a similar color. Now, some people have noted on the 2ms WTQ version that there was a brighter halo around the moving circles, but I didn't see anything like that. All I saw was the standard type of ghosting.

Even using the latest monitor driver didn't help any, so I returned the L226WT to Future Shop (gotta love their customer service and return policy). I then upgraded to the LG L226WA. Spec wise, it was similar to the L226WT except that it featured the 2ms hardware accelerated refresh rate and HDMI and Component inputs. I plan on using the Component inputs to display my Satellite signal for watching quality TV at my desk.

The L226WA package thing didn't include a DVI cable either and I complained to the Future Shop rep about it. The clerk then gave me a FREE $45 DVI cable for my trouble (once again, you really can't beat Future Shop customer service).

So, I got home and installed the monitor and included driver disk. I was pleasantly surprised when I ran the moving color circle test that there was no ghosting (at least not that was really apparent to the human eye). In fact, in terms of ghosting, the L226WA was almost on par with my 21 CRT monitor (set at 85Hz)...that is saying a hell of a lot for the L226WA.

Of course, moving the color circle around at high speed would produce the tiniest amount of object flicker, but doing that had almost the same level of effect while doing it on my CRT monitor. So all is good. Oh, and I didn't see any brighter halo around fast moving objects either even though the L226WA comes with the 2ms hardware acceleration.

I noticed the lack of ghosting immediately in Oblivion. Nor have I seen any ghosting effect (traditional or halo) anywhere else.

So, I think it is a safe claim to make when I say that the L226WA beats the pants off the L226WT in terms of gaming image quality.

I hope this helps others decide on what they want. Also thanks to all the guys here who've helped me out in making decisions in the past.

*Here is a question for you guys. The brand new $45 DVI cable I got at Future shop only had half the pins in the male connections present at both ends. I've noticed some of the DVI cables have all the pins in the male connections and others have only half of them (you sometimes see this with standard RGB cables as well). Is there a difference in performance between the two types of DVI cables???

HI

We in Europe in our country have only the LG L226WTQ !

And i found this standards for the LG:
TCO03, UL(cUL), TUV-GS, SEMKO

And i can only buy this one or the Samsung 226BW with A panel !
Whitch one to buy ?

I
*Here is a question for you guys. The brand new $45 DVI cable I got at Future shop only had half the pins in the male connections present at both ends. I've noticed some of the DVI cables have all the pins in the male connections and others have only half of them (you sometimes see this with standard RGB cables as well). Is there a difference in performance between the two types of DVI cables???

The DVI cables with all of the pins are dual link cables and are only required when using extremely high resolutions like the 30" Dells , etc... use (2560 x 1600). Any of the monitors that support 1920 x 1200 and below only need a regular DVI (single link) like the one that you received although a dual link cable can be used with them.

I just bought a used LG L226WT from a guy that I know (manufactured in January). I'm going to use as a second monitor along with my 24" Dell in a dual display setup. The guy I bought it from had somehow broken the original stand (no great loss) so he thought it was useless :D so I bought it for $50. ;) I just ordered a Ergotron NeoFlex LCD monitor stand off Ebay for $40 shipped to go on it. I ought to have a pretty awesome 2nd monitor for less than $100 when my stand gets here. :cool:

Back