LG L204WT: 5ms and 2000:1 contrast

mm I'm really tempted to get this monitor... the specs I got from my distributor is that it is 1600x1050 @ 85Hz - With DVI 5ms ? 85Hz ? I didn't even think that made a difference with LCD's...

My only concern is the resolutions in games. Will 1280x1024 resolution result in crappy blocky image ? Like 1024 x 768 on my (current) Viewsonic VX924 ?

I also watch a lot of DVD's - I'm sure the size will be more than adequate, but what about the quality of the picture ?

Can this screen do 85Hz on max res? It doesn't show unless I uncheck "hide modes this monitor does not support" I believe your distributor is wrong. I forced it to 85Hz and the monitor OSD still shows 60Hz.

So I just picked one up at circuit city and everything looks great except one stuck blue pixel in the middle to right lower corner. I tried running the jscreenfix applet for about 20 mins and the pressure technique, but its still there. Should I just deal with and hope it goes away or try to return it for another one.

So I just picked one up at circuit city and everything looks great except one stuck blue pixel in the middle to right lower corner. I tried running the jscreenfix applet for about 20 mins and the pressure technique, but its still there. Should I just deal with and hope it goes away or try to return it for another one.

My 3rd exchange had a stuck blue pixel on the right edge about 2/3 down. It only showed up on black or dark colors, but it would change to other colors just fine. I could rub it and it would go away for a day or so, but it always came back. I finally set my background to redish/purple color for a few weeks and it went away and hasn't come back.

i might be bit late to 1:1 pixel mapping but i noticed several resolutions are 1:1 instead being stretched into full resolution ...

so i bet it's just some setting in monitor which forces
(no matter on what sends videocard) stretching

these are in 1:1
1440x900
1400x1050
1360x1024
1360x768
1280x800
1280x768
1280x720

while stretched to full viewable area were

1280x1024
1280x960
1152x864
1024x768
800x600

Monitor LG 204WF-SFQ was manufactured Feb 2007, service menu version is 1.61

so far i failed to find how force monitor to keep these 5 resolutions in 1:1 (using ATI X1xxx serie cards) ...

if anyone know please post or PM me ...

I finally decided on this monitor, however I've got a couple questions and really don't want to read through all of the posts.

1. There was some speculation as to panel manufacturer. Chunghwa Model:CLAA201WA03Q
Or is it LG Phillips? Is it a lottery or does it really matter?

2. The L204WT is an 8-bit TN panel, correct?

3. I've seen it in black, anyone know where to get that? Or is that just a later revision of the 203?

Looks like a great monitor, I'm almost glad for having passed on the vx2025wm months ago.
Thanks!

2. AFAIK it's a new generation 8-bit TN panel yes but I still find posts saying it's really good 6-bit but most sources say it's 8-bit. :D

3. The black version is the European version and comes with a DVI cable whereas the silver is the one you'll get in USA or Canada (NO DVI cable included with this one:p )

Got my L204 today. Only it says under model "L204WTX" is there a difference between
WTX, WTM, WTX and WT? These are all listed in the drivers section...eep!

On a positive note. No dead pixels, unfortunately I forgot about the DVI-D cable, so VGA it is for today. Anyone have any tips for making it look tolerable on VGA?

Excuse the rotting walls and big bottle of whiskey
my.php

Anyone here with an nVidia card care to share their settings for this monitor. Please post the actual monitor settings from the OSD and what settings you have in the nVidia Control Panel.

I was satisfied with this monitor,

until I set it to Movie Mode from the tft itself, and while watching a movie it kept going from dark to bright especially where there is black :confused:

Is this normal ?

If I put it in normal mode, it doesn't happen though.

Just disable it or use another mode. I use text or user mode for movies along with tweaking color correction in the Nvidia control panel. I wound up with something that's great for all purpose use.

use the 4th button from the top to actually select the mode. And to get the best color adjust the setting on the OSD and the Nvidia Control Panel, like another poster said above it'll give you great results for all round use.

I recently sold my L204WT since I moved onto the 24in club. Anyway I googled around for the base removal procedure and couldnt find anything useful. After much trial and error I thought I might save some people the pain.

For the base of the unit pull at the base while you pop each of the tabs. Having someone do it with you will make it much easier. If not then you can try to secure the monitor to something. This is part isnt too difficult but annoying.

The neck is what is ridiculously difficult to get off. I tried using long screw drivers and it just refused to budge. The key to do this is get 2 screw drivers and jam one onto each side of the monitor hinge (the crack where the neck connects to the hinge to be exact). When you have both in place rotate them and voila its off. 2 wide slotted screw driver will work.

I'm really sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've searched the thread and I'm not sure I can find a definitive answer:

Can this monitor be run at 1440x900?

I'm really sorry if this is a stupid question, but I've searched the thread and I'm not sure I can find a definitive answer:

Can this monitor be run at 1440x900?

yes, but it wont look as good as native resolution.

Sure, but I just want to know I have the option should the graphics capability of my rig drop, which is inevitable.

Edit: So..? Anyone able to run their L204WT in games at a lower widescreen resolution, say 1440x900?

Somebody, please? Can anyone with this monitor please let me know?

I'm running close to the deadline to return my purchase (a Samsung 226BW) and the capabilities of the L204WT is going to influence that decision.

Like I said, yes you can, as long as your Video Card supports that resolution, then this LG will be able to handle it no problem, just that it wont look as good as native reso.

Sorry. Things are just getting frantic as I approach the "return or settle" deadline. I only became dubious because I'm unable to do so with my 226BW, but it seems that it's an issue with the nVidia drivers - as there's no such problem with ATI.

As long as it's not the screen explicitly I'm satisfied. I'm likely to get a L204WT as my next attempt at LCD happiness then.

Thanks.

Could someone be so kind to post his/hers settings in the regular and "hidden" menu.
I can't seem to get the colors right, they are almost always too pale.

my brightness - 50
contrast - 50
gamma - 50
preset - 6500K

From my service menu:

L204W v. 1.61
GM 5726 by MSHAN

panel: LPL20W.AOC

9300 202 210 255
6500 255 255 255
OFFS 22 24 80
GAIN 410 411 299

I saw on amazon a version advertised as "TILT"
does this give it a better/more configurable base? I was definitely favouring the 204wt until I found out I couldnt adjust it much - 205bw ?! :(

picked up 3 l204w4's from futureshop for $200 cdn.

2 are the standard ones.. the other one I have is missing the "5ms" sticker, and an updated service menu along with a new label:

l204w4 (not l204w)
GM 5726 by FENG
V.150

this "new" one does not exhibit redness, or backlight bleeding. does anyone have this new model or why it is different?

Yeah mine also seems a bit pale, haven't got round to buying a Spyder yet but could anyone post calibrated settings if you don't mind please.

I do all this time to transport my LG to lans in a thin briefcase... the stem is the perfect detachable (without tools) stand for that purporse.

Anyone still using one of these? Could anyone compare the input lag on this monitor to one of the popular newer monitors? Such as a G2400WD, or HP LP2475W.

I own a L204WT, and love it for the (almost) zero input lag. I worry I will find a newer 24" monitor unusable... though I haven't been able to compare it directly to any newer monitors yet.

I love mine except like how I said in the other thread, there is somehow some lint in my screen inside the panel.

It's incredibly easy (once you RTFM) :D

removefullstand1.jpg

removefullstand2.jpg

removefullstand3.jpg
My 204 doesn't look exactly like that... and I tried: I think I almost broke it.

Has anyone managed to remove the l204wt neck? I need to ship it back because it jsut died on me and won't fit in its original box with the neck.

Thank you in advance

Look for my post on the previous page.
Thank you: I read this thread in its continuous/archived version and... well: it's easy to miss.

And man was that a fast reply: awesome forum and you are my hero for the day. I should send you cookies!

EDIT - I can't believe this s***! I just broke the tip off a screw driver! What black magic plastic IS THIS?!?!?!?!

Last edited:
My 204 doesn't look exactly like that... and I tried: I think I almost broke it.

Has anyone managed to remove the l204wt neck? I need to ship it back because it jsut died on me and won't fit in its original box with the neck.

Thank you in advance

That definitely isn't an L204 in those pics and that isn't the correct removal procedure, but the removal procedure is in the manual and it does work.

I set mine on a pillow when I removed its stand. It still takes a bit of muscle to get it off, but it will come off. When it says "bend slightly to the right" you want to turn it, like a steering wheel, to the right and pull at the same time.

My L204WT is now repaired and I finally was able post this info.
(I know - holy thread revival)

This LCD was totally dead. The LED would not even light nor flash momentarily.
Now working properly.

These are the default auto colour settings.

L204W V1.30
GM 5726 by MSHAN
2006.08.11 20 124
Panel LPL20.WIDE
9300 220 220 255
6300 255 255 255
OFFS 50 47 63
GAIN 411 389 397

My L204WT is now repaired and I finally was able post this info.
(I know - holy thread revival)

This LCD was totally dead. The LED would not even light nor flash momentarily.
Now working properly.

These are the default auto colour settings.

L204W V1.30
GM 5726 by MSHAN
2006.08.11 20 124
Panel LPL20.WIDE
9300 220 220 255
6300 255 255 255
OFFS 50 47 63
GAIN 411 389 397

Mine is dead. How did you repair yours?

Mine is dead. How did you repair yours?

I replaced 2 @ 680uF-25v, 2@ 1000uF-16v. The 1000uF-25v was not replaced. Use only low esp capacitors - say Panasonic FM's from DigiKey. I had some older FJ's in my inventory.

It was a royal pain in the @ss to get the panel out of the case without damage. I broke 5 tabs My fingers still hurt after several days.

If the LCD progressively took longer to turn on and you eventually have a flashing blue power LED or no blue & no amber LED, it is most likely the capacitors (especially this model). Others have had these same symptoms but when the capacitors were replaced the LCD still did not work. So I would recommend just buying a new & bigger monitor considering the prices of LED backlit LCD's these days unless you can get capacitors cheaply.

Back