LG L204WT: 5ms and 2000:1 contrast

could you buy me a monster cable and ship it to me

since you can't order it online for that price

hey guys anyone using a dual link DVI cable? im using regular DVI and it looks great, just wondering if its worth the upgrade.

hows this monitor when its not run at native res and can you disable the auto scaling of lower resolutions via nvidea drivers or something.

Can you run this monitor at lower wide screen resolutions as i doubt my pc could keep up with it on certain games so id be forced to go lower but does this monitor fall like a pack of cards as soon as you change from its native res /.

Thx.

yeah i run lower res ingames all the time it looks fine
i can turn off scaling via my catalyst control center in display options
this monitor isn't like other tn panels out there
its brand new generation so its alot better

i agree, this is by far the best TN film panel ive seen and it gives the dell 2007 a good run for the money.

ive run need for speed not at native bc it doesnt have its native res, and i was still stunned by the graphics, flatout 2 looks amazing on this monitor, that has this native res tho.

123Lanoix said:
OK
iam in the usa
i wonder how much it would cost to ship express

Don't think you'd save any money that way, and could be trouble at the border (customs).

Caraudiomrw said:
hey guys anyone using a dual link DVI cable? im using regular DVI and it looks great, just wondering if its worth the upgrade.

I don't think it would make any difference because of what resolution this monitor is - i think it would make a difference on the 1920x1200 or w/e's

i noticed today if i have v synce on all the time
the display looks perfect

dclam said:
UPDATE: THE L204WT IS NOW ON SALE IN THE US

5ms response time, 2000:1 contrast ratio, same price. I'm getting one as soon as I can.

You guys really believe these numbers? Show me just one LCD *ever* to review above 400 contrast ratio let alone 2000, 1000, 700 declared by these makers. Same goes for 5ms.

tightline said:
You guys really believe these numbers? Show me just one LCD *ever* to review above 400 contrast ratio let alone 2000, 1000, 700 declared by these makers. Same goes for 5ms.
well, i use it and i can really say that those are pretty close, there is no ghosting in this, and true contrast is 800:1, 2000:1 is dynamic, and frankly it just looks great regardless of truthfullness of specs

No one believed me when I said the LG L203WT was a great looking monitor, ok maybe one or two of you. Not sure why the 204 is $150 cheaper then what I paid for the 203 or what the real difference is, but I've been very happy with the 203 as you guys are with the 204.

Cheers to LG!!

Gman the 203 is great as well, the 204 is an upgrade to the 203, faster response, and a higher contrast ratio, also HDCP.

The L204 may not be an upgrade, but rather a cheaper model targeted to a budget gamer market. The L203 may have slightly wider horizontal viewing angles (170/170), is in fact HDCP compliant, has a rock solid stand, and the f-engine controls in the front where they belong. The small increase in the manufacturer specs are suspect; and, in any event not enough to consider the L204 as an upgrade; a later model, yes (as the L203 is not being produced anymore); an upgrade, hardly.

i dunno this monitor kicksass
i think its cheaper because the technology is cheaper
i like the buttons in the back
it doesn't clutter up the front and makes it seem like iam staring out a window
immersing me into my game world
my alternate reality

I went through this entire thread and I couldn't draw a conclusion on wether the L204WT is true 8-bit or not. Some say the colors are great but others not and some even went with other monitors after doing side by side comparisons.

So is this monitor true 8-bit or is it 6-bit + dithering? Someone done a pro review with proper measuring tools yet?

i dunno man i was on the fence to before i bought this monitor
while reading the reviews on this thread
but i went to the store and saw it in the store and ive been in love with it ever since
its a damn good lcd its sharper than the dell monitors i use at work
we have 19inch dells lcd's colors are as good i believe there ips panels the viewing angles are better on the vertical but the colors are the same i don't know if anyone knows for sure if the LGL204wt is 6 bit or 8 bit color it looks like 8 bit color to me as it seems very accurate and if they say its 6 bit than its pretty damn good dithering because i can't tell
i had the 19inch model for a week before i returned it for this 20.1 inch model
andthe colors were different on the 19inch they were off not as accurate
like flesh tones were F**** up on the 19inch i don't get the with the LGL204WT
i think the reason for the low price compared to the DELL is that
the LG is a no frills monitor what i mean is you bascially just get the Screen and panel hardware the base is very basic its just something they gave you cheaply to have something to put it on the DELL 2007FWP has compoents and shit on it
that bumps up the price. So i mean u could save a couple bunchs with the LG and have a REALLy nice display or spend close to 100 dollars more and get the dells with more features. with the LG ive played a variety of games its greAt no ghosting what so ever
no really problems colors look great i dunno what the other people were talking about

please check LG's website and view the l204wt's PDF, it IS 16.7M colors (8 bit) ive called them on several trys to act like a dope, and see what specs they told me, this is a TRUE 8 bit panel. the 203 uses a differnt panel than the 204 hence the 204 having higher specs.

like 123 said, the colors are great on this screen, yes the 203 SOME models made in korea were IPS screens and were 170 viewing, some were the TN film screens, this was hit or miss. ive played alot of games on this and done photoshop and it looks as good as my CRT. and NO GHOSTING on games!

I YA I TRIED it out last night on quake 4 i don't notice any input lag
that people speak about on these forums maybe because its a tn
but the colors looked great and there was no ghosting
quake4 is really fast pace shooter too

Ok thanks everyone.

Because I saw many people say that the DVD playback is grainy with this monitor I thought it was the dithering causing it.

Can anyone that knows what dithering looks like and notices it say the L204WT has no dithering whatsoever? :)

well first off i wanan recommend anyone with a lcd to use vsync as lcd
need this option on to look their best . i watched some movies this weekend on my computer & the LG L204wt these are the movies i rented American Pyscho,Silent Hill,Envy american pyscho looked the most grainy out of the 3 silent hill looked good
but still grainy the comedy envy didn't seem grainy at all
so the question is it the monitor ? or the dvd's themselves could it be the camera hey used to record it or the res the used to master the dvd i mean
dvd's are a low res and your monitor is a very high res 1680x1050
i can pretty much know this is the problem because when i play dvd's in windowed mode
there is no grainyness at all . movies look really good on this display Blacks are Really black and whites are blinding white. dynamic contrast looks really cool in movies too
the color i thought was perfect comparable to a crt or even my 27inch tv set
for a dvd decoder iam using the ATI dvd player that came with my ATI X800XL AGP
pictures look ok the colors are good its pretty much like any other lcd
no lcd is really good for graphics design u still want a crt for that
but lcd is great for reading text surfing the web and playing games
this model LGL204wt is pretty darn close to a CRT especially for what it cost !
thats my 2 cents

Some dvd's are grainy by nature because of a bad transfer or lack of a cleaning job. It's evident on certain grainy dvd's that get a remastered special edition version released a couple years later that doesn't have the grain and you compare them both. 'Unforgiven' comes to mind here and many others.

So sometimes I wonder if the people getting grainy dvd playback aren't just watching a bad transfer. A nice dvd collection with reference dvd's like 'Gladiator' or 'The Fifth Element' should be needed when testing dvd playback. Or maybe comparing it with a CRT monitor at approximately the same resolution. And definately trying different dvd decoders wich can play a big part in the image quality.

Also I've noticed some people call a ripped movie a 'dvd' here, so the quality of the 'dvd's' people are watching can vary greatly.

ya i agree with you
but ive watch like 10 dvds on this monitor and i dunno it all seems fine
maybe i will test it out with Starwars Episode 3
and i will tell u the results

Shaman said:
Can anyone that knows what dithering looks like and notices it say the L204WT has no dithering whatsoever? :)
Still waiting for a kind soul to answer this. ;)

there is NO dithering on this panel. did you check the LG PDF on thier site for this monitor? 8bit 16.7M colors. i love my L204wt and would never go back to a CRT

Caraudiomrw said:
there is NO dithering on this panel. did you check the LG PDF on thier site for this monitor? 8bit 16.7M colors. i love my L204wt and would never go back to a CRT
No I didn't check the pdf manual, maybe because I take manufacturer specs with a grain of salt. I guess it's because I'm used to seeing misleading information from Samsung lol. However I don't know if Samsung is the only manufacturer that often releases incorrect information about their monitors.

Can I assume you actually know what dithering looks like and are not just saying that because LG wrote '8-bit' in the mnual? :)

dude if the colors looked washed out or shitty i would tell u
i don't work for LG were just saying we found a kickass looking LCD 20" wS
for cheap that rivials the higher priced models we thought would be nice and share our experience . as far as dithering the 19 inch lg WS i had for a week had shitty colors
i think it had the same specs too just lower res than the 20.1 "
the colors were pale compared to the LGL204wt and the flesh tones looked aweful
The LGL204wt i think has 8 bit color its pretty accurate in all apps and games
it beats my old 19inch crt

yes i know what dithering is and have ran multiple tests on all the monitors we have at work, samsung 204, viewsonic 2025, LG204, and the LG impressed me the most. there is NO dithering on this baby, idd say this deff beats the viewsonic for quality in colors, the samsung is CLOSE but isnt as sharp as the 204. go to a CC and check em for your self, have the guys there go in paint and choose than ugly brown in the bottom right corner to show on all their LCDS, we have all ours hooked up to a splitter, and you can see the quality.

I picked up one of these a few days ago ... a real great monitor.

Note: I use a DVI cable.

I run Nascar Racing 2003 ... the 1680x1050 resolution adds a lot of extra viewable area to the cockpit view. Great color too.

For text: I enabled "clear type", and the text is better than I expected ... better than my old 19" CRT. I also increased the font size up one for the internet brower, since the text was too small at this higher resolution ... ("Ctrl +" to increase size, and "Ctrl -" to decrease).

The extra desktop space is good for photoshop stuff and sound editing programs as well as opening a couple or more windows at the same time.

DVD's look really nice, and so do photos ... again, better than the old CRT.

Thanks to this forum and the postings here that helped me decide to purchase this beauty of a monitor.Very Happy

David

Back