LG L204WT: 5ms and 2000:1 contrast

FitzRoy said:
Wow, super ugly bases..

QFT, only way i'd consider buying it is if i planned on using an arm and releasing the base back into the gaping maw of uglyland from which it came

:p

clockworks said:
Ugliest monitor bases on the planet.
qft! I did not believe when someone else posted it, so i looked for myself and "Wow" they really got this one right: ugliness to the max!

Techx said:
QFT, only way i'd consider buying it is if i planned on using an arm and releasing the base back into the gaping maw of uglyland from which it came

:p

The L204WT has a plain base.

id say thats a good sign

whats bad is the price difference between futureshop and best buy

399 canadian (350us) vs best buy @450-500

futureshop just took $30 off the price again

$369 CA aka $326 US

god damnit why can't they ship to the us!

:mad:

Was just at BB. They had the 203 but not the 204. I asked them tio see if they were getting any in and they said they weren't.

I've got the 203 and as far as I'm concerned it's a great monitor. Yes, it's TN, but it's sharp as hell, consistent color, little to NO backlighting and good menu. It looks like the 204 is just a continued version changing it form 1400 to 2000 contrast and 8ms to 5ms. I tried the Sammy 215, Viewsonic 2025, NEC X2 19" and this is the one that was close to what I thought an LCD should be. Anyway, my 2 cents.

So I noticed that their 24" model is listed as an S-IPS panel. Hoping that upon release that these panels dont suffer from the banding and the HDCP input issues of the Dell 2407, would these typically show less "input lag" than the other 24" models currently available?

-domo

dclam said:
id say thats a good sign

whats bad is the price difference between futureshop and best buy

399 canadian (350us) vs best buy @450-500

The silly thing is, Best Buy owns Futureshop.

kuyaglen said:
So I noticed that their 24" model is listed as an S-IPS panel. Hoping that upon release that these panels dont suffer from the banding and the HDCP input issues of the Dell 2407, would these typically show less "input lag" than the other 24" models currently available?

-domo

Besides the fact that LG doesnt make crap like Dell, the LG will also use the new A-TW-IPS panel so that should make a huge difference between the two. The NEC 2490 will also use this panel. I will keep everyone post as I find out more monitors that will use the LG-Phillips A-TW-IPS.

travbomb said:
Besides the fact that LG doesnt make crap like Dell, .
Dell doesn't build monitors, they rebadge. My 2001FP, which some people hated and some adored, used the LG.Philips LCD LM201U04. I believe Viewsonic was the second to use that panel, and it didn't come out until 8-10 months later and cost nearly double the Dell sale price.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=1918&p=2

I bought l204wt yesterday, when I test it at home, I found one bad pixel at middle-left, so i take it back to futureshop to exchange another one, then i found some dirty dots inside the screen surface, not outside so i can't clean it, once again i take it back to futureshop to exchange one, for the thrid one i get, i still find a bad pixel, but it locates at very right bottom, i choose to accept this one because i would not really use that pixel because it's at right to date/time on windows start bar. I've ask several employee of futureshop about lg monitor, all of them said it seldom happened on LG monitor, so i'm thinking why i've meet three of them??? So, what do you guys think? will you keep this one or will you take another chance to exchange another one until there is no bad pixel?

without the bad pixel, l204wt will be really really a good monitor, the color, contrast,... every is perfect, even the stand is acceptable to me. :p

take it back, and have them open/test the next one in front of you. But with the location of the bad pixel on your current one, you won't notice it after a day. You can also try gently massaging that area with your finger, sometimes it will come back.

LostStorm said:
I say take it back . but either way can you please post some pictures.

it's like this...

badpixel.jpg

is it acceptable to you guys? please vote for it... how many of you will take it back?

I wouldn't take it back either. It's a dark one so it wouldn't really be noticable in most cases.

Any other thoughts on the monitor? More pics would be appreciated.

FragMagnet said:
Dell doesn't build monitors, they rebadge. My 2001FP, which some people hated and some adored, used the LG.Philips LCD LM201U04. I believe Viewsonic was the second to use that panel, and it didn't come out until 8-10 months later and cost nearly double the Dell sale price.

http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=1918&p=2

Thats kind of a silly statement because everyone monitor company out there uses Samsung, LG-Phillips, or AUO panels. This goes to show that there is a lot more that goes into a monitor than the panel which includes what company constructs it.

Anyone find any more reviews on this monitor, I'm headed to canada soon and may pick one of these up.

JohnleMVP said:
Anyone find any more reviews on this monitor, I'm headed to canada soon and may pick one of these up.

then you'll have canadian waranty. :0(

vink said:
I bought l204wt yesterday, when I test it at home, I found one bad pixel at middle-left, so i take it back to futureshop to exchange another one, then i found some dirty dots inside the screen surface, not outside so i can't clean it, once again i take it back to futureshop to exchange one, for the thrid one i get, i still find a bad pixel, but it locates at very right bottom, i choose to accept this one because i would not really use that pixel because it's at right to date/time on windows start bar. I've ask several employee of futureshop about lg monitor, all of them said it seldom happened on LG monitor, so i'm thinking why i've meet three of them??? So, what do you guys think? will you keep this one or will you take another chance to exchange another one until there is no bad pixel?

without the bad pixel, l204wt will be really really a good monitor, the color, contrast,... every is perfect, even the stand is acceptable to me. :p

I bought the Lg L204TW yesterday too and found a dead pixel 5 cm above yours.I'm thinking to exchange too_On the other hand,the monitor is great for watching movies and the colors are amazing.

Can anyone who have this monitor please post pictures with games and movies, Thank You. Vink I would take it back, it not that easy to spot but , just knowing its there would drive me crazy.

gman said:
Take it back. I would not settle for bad pixels, even one.

I second that, no way in hell would I ever accept a new monitor with a single dead pixel, regardless of where it's at.

Sphere

Why do you guys think that you are somehow entitled to a perfect display when there isn't a single manufacturer who will accept a return for under three dead pixels?

Oh, who am I kidding, return it till you get a perfect one. :D

That said, if you've got to have a deady, there's the right place to have it.

More photo for l204wt...
desktop:
l204wtDesktop.jpg

service menu:
l204wtServiceMenu.jpg

buttons:
l204wtButtons.jpg

back:
l204wtBack.jpg

movie in play:
lg204wtMovie.jpg

gman said:
I've got the 203 and as far as I'm concerned it's a great monitor. Yes, it's TN, but it's sharp as hell, consistent color, little to NO backlighting and good menu. It looks like the 204 is just a continued version changing it form 1400 to 2000 contrast and 8ms to 5ms. I tried the Sammy 215, Viewsonic 2025, NEC X2 19" and this is the one that was close to what I thought an LCD should be. Anyway, my 2 cents.
hi gman can i ask you, how is the nec x2 ?

placebo said:
Why do you guys think that you are somehow entitled to a perfect display when there isn't a single manufacturer who will accept a return for under three dead pixels?

Oh, who am I kidding, return it till you get a perfect one. :D

That said, if you've got to have a deady, there's the right place to have it.

ASUS has a zero pixel defect policy i believe check out their 20in ws glossy.

strikeout said:
ASUS has a zero pixel defect policy i believe check out their 20in ws glossy.

They have a zero stuck pixel policy (1yr), not dead pixel, but thats still a really good warranty. I think Viewsonic has something similar.

I was looking to spend money, so i bought this as my first LCD. Looks very good compared to my HP p1130. No dead or stuck pixels. i'm very satisfied to date.

I picked this monitor up yesterday, no dead pixels here. First impressions are excellent.

The good:
-text, games and movies all look fantastic
-little to no ghosting in FPS games
-colors are superb
-Canadians finally get a good deal on something ($354.99 CAD with coupon and instant rebate at Futureshop)
-haven't noticed any banding through "regular" use
-has both analog and DVI inputs

The bad:
-no included DVI cable, only analog
-stand is flimsy and cheap looking, and has no height adjustment
-some minor banding in Colour_Gradients.exe
-no built in cable managment
-viewing angles aren't bad, but they're not great either

I would post pictures but I don't have a digital camera.

Back