LG is developing OLED panels for Gaming Monitors

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
https://www.oled-info.com/lg-developing-medium-sized-woled-panels-gaming-monitors

Earlier this month we reported that LG Display aims to start making 20-inch OLED panels, but we did not know the technology that LGD will adopt - WOLED (from its 8.5-Gen TV lines) or RGB (from its pOLED 6-Gen lines).

LGD now says that it is indeed developing panels for gaming monitors, with sizes ranging from 20-inch to 30-inch. The company also disclosed that these will be WOLED panels, produced at its 8.5-Gen lines. LGD also confirms that the first panels will be released by the end of 2022

I really like that Alienware by Dell never tried one but its 1.3K and 34 inches. These might prove to be more versatile cheaper and popular.

Last edited:
White Oled panels consume more power so its not used on mobile devices.

Last edited:
I, for one, am not interested in a huge jumbo panel marked "gaming monitor". Let me know when they produce 27" and smaller ones.

Here's my prediction: OLED gaming monitors become a thing, and suddenly news sites are spending hours trying to teach us ways to prevent image retention, which they will immediately claim is VERY DIFFERENT than "Burn In" from the CRT days and totally preventable......except they'd be f*@king lying.

There's a new video from Linus Tech Tips on the 'Yoob and his "couple year old" oled tv he uses for gaming already has burn in, that is static image retention that has *not* gone away after the magical (bullshit) image-retention-de-away-er program included in the TV works its magic.
Its inherent to the nature of the technology......just buy the best mini/Micro LCD panel out there and enjoy never, ever ever having to worry about seeing health bars, ammo counts or radar outlines ghosting all over your Pr0nHub videos. Alternately, you can accept that your display
is a disposable commodity that will get used up with time/use (like literally everything including mountains and solid blocks of rock) and just go OLED and enjoy it.

The return of 30" 16:10?

5 years into my first LG OLED used as both TV and monitor and there is zero burn-in. Avoiding it is not difficult.
Hell, I have never had burn in on my Plasmas. It's really not as big a deal for homes as it is for like commercial displays. I still have a 50" Viera (2008 model) as my primary TV. No burn in.

Hell, I have never had burn in on my Plasmas. It's really not as big a deal for homes as it is for like commercial displays. I still have a 50" Viera (2008 model) as my primary TV. No burn in.
Before the OLED was a plasma that just died about a month ago. No burn-in after 12 years - water dripped into the back of the TV and caused a short.

Here's my prediction: OLED gaming monitors become a thing, and suddenly news sites are spending hours trying to teach us ways to prevent image retention, which they will immediately claim is VERY DIFFERENT than "Burn In" from the CRT days and totally preventable......except they'd be f*@king lying.

There's a new video from Linus Tech Tips on the 'Yoob and his "couple year old" oled tv he uses for gaming already has burn in, that is static image retention that has *not* gone away after the magical (bullshit) image-retention-de-away-er program included in the TV works its magic.
Its inherent to the nature of the technology......just buy the best mini/Micro LCD panel out there and enjoy never, ever ever having to worry about seeing health bars, ammo counts or radar outlines ghosting all over your Pr0nHub videos. Alternately, you can accept that your display
is a disposable commodity that will get used up with time/use (like literally everything including mountains and solid blocks of rock) and just go OLED and enjoy it.
Those can burn in too. Not as likely, but they can. Burn in is simply caused by the fact that LEDs (and other kind of lights) fade with time. If the produce X brightness with Y voltage when they are new, after 10,000 hours they might only produce 0.8X brightness with Y voltage. If your whole screen uses a uniform backlight, as traditional LCDs so, then no problem as it is going to fade more or less evenly. So while the peak brightness will lessen, there won't be much, if any, additional brightness variation.

However when you have an array of backlights that can get brighter or dimmer independent of each other, then ya, burn in becomes a possibility. The ones that are run brighter will deteriorate faster than the ones that aren't. Now that isn't going to look the same as what you'd see on an OLED or CRT with burn in, but that doesn't mean it won't have an effect. Dark spots on the screen, more "dirty screen effect", uneven appearance, etc.

The only way you completely stay away from it is to stick with a blocking technology, like LCD, and a static backlight. Ultimately all technologies are tradeoffs, you just have to choose the one that's the best for you. OLEDs do have the right of burn in, but they do have some compelling features like really fast pixel transitions and good contrast.

In 1998 my mother purchased a 36" Trinitron monstrosity and it was part of why I started lifting weights.
My son had a 32 inch Trinitron and yes I can confirm you better man up to pick that thing up.

In 1998 my mother purchased a 36" Trinitron monstrosity and it was part of why I started lifting weights.
My cousin bought one around that same time. Think it was nearly 300lbs.

I got a 3 year old c9 with 6k hours on it and I haven't notice any burn-in yet.

Have a 6 year old made in Feb 2016 55EG9600 in my living room with constant use and still no burn in, and have 3 other OLED displays around the house. No burn in on any of them. Burn in complaining posters may not have ever owned an OLED display.

That is a really specific odd ball size. Then again 36" was a common TV size in the tube days.

Splitting the difference between 32" monitors and 40-43" TVs was my first thought.

122 DPI, still slightly denser than the 110 DPI of a 27" 1440p display, but you've got a better chance of being able to use it at 1:1 than a 32" with 140 DPI*, and it won't take as much space or push the corners as far into your peripheral vision (which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you're doing).

* I tried this, but while it was usable - if only just - for normal content, web pages and email with extra small text were too difficult to read. (OTOH my 280 DPI laptop at 2:1 was fine at that distance; the innately sharper text meant that my eyeball blurring didn't quite push it over the too hard to read threshold.)

I used to move the beasts back in my best buy days.
I was 9 years old during March Madness 1998 when she purchased that thing, during Thanksgiving holiday period in 2002 I had lifted enough weights and done enough conditioning to pick it up and insert it into my mom's various 4x4 v8 SUVs and from there to it's perch between the 80's Teac sound system componentry. I vaguely recall it weighing something like 270 pounds, seemed just a touch more than 3x heavier than my gdm-f520.

Last edited:
Have a 6 year old made in Feb 2016 55EG9600 in my living room with constant use and still no burn in, and have 3 other OLED displays around the house. No burn in on any of them. Burn in complaining posters may not have ever owned an OLED display.
I got Burn In on an early generation LCD (yes, LCD with a cold cathode backlight) and some mild burn-in on a 50" Plasma. My old 65" Mitsubishi Rear Projector had some mild, mild burn-in on the blue tube I think due to me having the brightness cranked too high before I realized burn-in was a thing on those devices.....I don't own OLED, but the nature of the technology means its prone to that phenominia.
Most people don't realize the burn-in is there.......for me it took me looking at solid background colors on my desktop one day to realize I had some faint icons on my screen when certain colors were presented. You'd never notice it in game but once you see it.......you see it.

I got Burn In on an early generation LCD (yes, LCD with a cold cathode backlight) and some mild burn-in on a 50" Plasma. My old 65" Mitsubishi Rear Projector had some mild, mild burn-in on the blue tube I think due to me having the brightness cranked too high before I realized burn-in was a thing on those devices.....I don't own OLED, but the nature of the technology means its prone to that phenominia.
Most people don't realize the burn-in is there.......for me it took me looking at solid background colors on my desktop one day to realize I had some faint icons on my screen when certain colors were presented. You'd never notice it in game but once you see it.......you see it.

Is the LCD actually permanent damage though? I've got an almost 20 year LCD that shows one application almost exclusively. If I put anything else on the screen it does have obvious retention problems related to the UI But they're not permanent, looping video on it for a few hours to a day has cleared them up every time I've been bored enough to do so.

I'm using a screen from 2011 Asus 21.5" since all the newer screens are too bright for me I have x2 backups one went bad like 5 years ago had to toss it. So I'm hoping this OLED tech is alot easier on the eyes so I can ditch using two monitors on one desk. I just switch to my 24.5" screen for gaming which is VA panel. I do own a AMOLED phone took a while to get used to it but I think it's superior to LCD in every way. The problem with LCD monitor is not the LCD panel but just the LED backlight for me same with CFL Monitors those would make my vision blank out due to the flicker.

Last edited:
Is the LCD actually permanent damage though? I've got an almost 20 year LCD that shows one application almost exclusively. If I put anything else on the screen it does have obvious retention problems related to the UI But they're not permanent, looping video on it for a few hours to a day has cleared them up every time I've been bored enough to do so.
Ok so..not really....but let me explain, I still have the set..an ANCIENT 37" Westinghouse 1st gen 1080p monitor, they sold at Best Buy for like a grand when every other 1080p set (this was when 720p and DLP sets were hot) was at least twice that. I had it unplugged for about 4 years and just fired it up recently (was going to toss it!) but damned if it doesn't still work. The image burn in was gone, but after using it for a few days it developed new image retention problems......again only on certain lighter colors, I'd see my desktop icons ghostly.............in my case I am blaming this on a first generation panel that is now nearly 20 years old and aging out, the caps on the board are drying out no doubt so who knows, I'm shocked the backlight ballasts still work and so forth.
The issue to me isn't so much "we can solve for burn in/image rentention!" on Plasma or Oleds.........its *how* they claim to do it, which is just by prematurely aging every OTHER pixel on the board so that retention isn't as noticeable...which to me is nuts.
I had an old plasma, it had pixel shift, in the end it did have some faint burn in that didn't go away with any of the magic color-changing snow routrines the set had built..........but i didn't keep that set around long enough to see if it could be reversed.

Bending display is freaking awesome. I have a good use case for that. Bend = Desk work Non Bed = My recliner right behind my chair. (Already doing this with my aw38dw21)

That is definitely cool.

Im game. Ill take a 240hz oled but im curious how they wont burn an image in due to the static nature of elements displayed on a monitor

My kid’s OLED laptop has various software to minimize burn in. You can turn it off though.

A friend and I bought 34” Sony widescreen tubes. 230 lbs, that was brutal, specially having to move two of them. Worth it though, and no lag playing Halo.
I used to pull them bad boys down off the racks in the warehouse with no stairs or big Joe. Damn, I was dumb back then, lol.

A friend and I bought 34” Sony widescreen tubes. 230 lbs, that was brutal, specially having to move two of them. Worth it though, and no lag playing Halo.

I still do Halo CE LANs with original Xboxes and my friend has about 10 CRTs in his guest house that they went around and picked up for free from people getting rid of them. One of the high end Sony CRTs actually has a pretty good sound system because the tube is so huge they had room to fit a a sizeable subwoofer in there. You don't get that kind of bass in a TV anymore!

Hopefully they’ll start selling these so others can get access to them. I’ve been waiting for a 4K HDR, OLED, professional display for color grading. Hopefully supporting at least 1000nitt HDR, preferably 2000. I don’t care at all about high refresh rates, but having VFR to natively support 23.98/24fps would be a boon.

Or they could just build it themselves. They had a professional display line but effectively killed it by 2019.

Maybe in a few years I can start producing HDR content if such a display exists.

Last edited:
Aren't the bendable OLED monitors repurposed TVs (like LG's newest 42 inch bendable) or offcuts like Dell's, but just lacking the protective rigid glass fronts?

That's pretty cool, I wonder if they plan to offer smaller sizes, 45" seems too big for desk use.
I had a 43" 4K 16:9 and found it almost unusable on my desk. It was effectively a much smaller 2.7k screen because that's all I could see of it. I downsized to 4K 32" and have been much happier (though the 32" is also a much nicer screen in general).

Hopefully they’ll start selling these so others can get access to them. I’ve been waiting for a 4K HDR, OLED, professional display for color grading. Hopefully supporting at least 1000nitt HDR, preferably 2000. I don’t care at all about high refresh rates, but having VFR to natively support 23.98/24fps would be a boon.

Or they could just build it themselves. They had a professional display line but effectively killed it by 2019.

Maybe in a few years I can start producing HDR content if such a display exists.

what do you make?

if you don't wanna say, because it's onlyfans content, i understand

what do you make?
For stuff that makes me money, it’s primarily commercial work for small businesses (as in actual short form commercials for web ads), events - primarily sports but some other stuff, and things like professional headshots for either industry professionals or business owners.

I also shoot a lot of doc work that I’m hoping will be what pays my bills at some point.

Now that we’re in the second half of this year, I’m also strongly thinking of expanding YouTube content. Not sure I have the energy of youth to make a run at it that would net me real money, but if I can run it on the side and have it get to a place where I’m making $500 or so a month from it then that could be another avenue.

Also not sure how viable patreon would be for someone like me, but that combined with YouTube is something else I’ve thought about. (I am trying to make things that are more thoughtful. I definitely am not in the arena of anything trendy).

if you don't wanna say, because it's onlyfans content, i understand
I’ve joked about making an only fans. But what it would be would be conversations between me and people I know, in a hopefully insightful way about various topics, while drinking beers and commenting on snacks from around the world.

The only reason for the paywall is myself and a lot of other people in my circles work with students and churches so placing that content on YouTube would just be a “complication”. Despite alcohol not being a sin, there’s a lot of “religious” people that frown on it, conveniently overlooking Jesus’ first recorded miracle as turning water into gallons and gallons of wine for a wedding party no less. Anyway that’s all neither here nor there. In any event, it’s not something I’m seriously considering.

Last edited:
Back